How Much Do People Lie About Averages Speed?

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
Its seems like so many online lie about average speed....20,25,30 mph regularly....I know some recreational cyclist can hit 20+, but you have to have a strong experience/fitness/skill base for that.I'll read post where someone says "got my first road bike, hitting 20mph pace easily"? From your experience, how many "really" are that fast(of course wind,hills,temperature affect this)?

Reactions: haleylx4
I am pretty pretty big at 230 and 6'1" and 51 years old soon and I can sustain 20mph for a mile- mile and a half at time with my hybrid. I am guessing a fit 25 year old guy with experience at 180 pounds and a 10 pound road bike can could average 20mph easily.

I've been on many forums over the years. I averaged 18.1 over a 35 mile ride couple weeks back.

Most forum members I have read comments makes me really really slow. But in reality, at 18.1 I'm blowing by a whole lot of riders.

I've ridden with a lot of forum members that claim 20+ averages and 95% of them can't keep up with me. So take forum comments with a grain of salt unless they post strava or garmin link. :lol:

BTW, 6'1, 238 pounds and 52 years old! B)

This ride without my wife so I had a free pass.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/868120122

One for my wife, strava 16.8 average 35 miles. 52 years old, 9 grandkids. If I tell you her weight she will kill me.

One of her last rides on the single before we started riding the tandem so much.

http://www.strava.com/activities/344894592

I know it can be done, but it seems like everyone and their mother is a speed demon,lol...I'm 5 months in an average between (hilly)15.5-17.5(less hilly) and most riders I know are in the 15mph or less range. Our club has 2 20+mph group and you can tell those guys are either extremely experienced or military fit. BTW, i'm 28 6'4" and 165 pounds. Even being new, i'd assume someone needs good fitness and at least 2-5 years of solid training to reach 20mph.

I average 15-17 MPH solo rides but I live in a mountainous area. On flats and with a group the average goes up
considerably.

jhuskey said:
I average 15-17 MPH solo rides but I live in a mountainous area. On flats and with a group the average goes up
considerably.
I've never rode in an area with flats that stretch more than a mile or two,but I also know their are areas across the U.S. much steeper than where I live.

Anyone who says they can average 30 should be earning a living in Europe. Or is just making a WAG about how fast he's riding.

Lying, or just guessing off the seat of their pants? Hard to say.

When going downhill I can easily beat that jhuskey... :)
I am working on a piece of legislation to make all roads downhill. Not only will it make cycling easier, it will put the oil companies out of business.

I've only ever owned 1 cycle computer, back in the mid-90's, one time, I clocked 37 mph on a downhill stretch of a busy major street, going hell for leather between jobs, trying not to get killed by cars routinely breaking the 40 mph speed limit. The bike was a Barracuda A2Z MTB.
Since then, I'm reliant on those speed trap signs they sometimes put up in random locations that display your speed and start flashing red if you're over the limit.
Usually riding my 1970-something KHS FF Sport road bike or my 1960's (??) English-made Raleigh Sprite 5-speed, I come in at somewhere between 7-12 mph at normal speed, not dawdling, but not hurrying, either.

Depends on what you mean by 'average' speed.

Taken over 20K? 40k? During a flattish ITT? During a race while sitting in a large pack? Pounding it out with a couple of fast friends? Solo on your hardest climbing route? Your STRAVA stats?

It can vary several MPH depending on what is being discussed.

The local middle-age racers group on after work training rides can easily average 22+ MPH over rolling to hilly terrain and these guys are no where near 'pro'. But yeah, in the 25-30 MPH region on a regular basis you better be booking a flight to Belgium or France and finding yourself a good 'doctor'. Even with those stats you might need a little help.

CAMPYBOB said:
Depends on what you mean by 'average' speed.

Taken over 20K? 40k? During a flattish ITT? During a race while sitting in a large pack? Pounding it out with a couple of fast friends? Solo on your hardest climbing route? Your STRAVA stats?

It can vary several MPH depending on what is being discussed.

The local middle-age racers group on after work training rides can easily average 22+ MPH over rolling to hilly terrain and these guys are no where near 'pro'. But yeah, in the 25-30 MPH region on a regular basis you better be booking a flight to Belgium or France and finding yourself a good 'doctor'. Even with those stats you might need a little help.
Usually they seem to give a vague description in terms of terrain and imply that those speeds are on solo rides. Starva stats would be an easy way to clarify, thats why they never post them,lol...Like I said, we have 2 20+mph groups in our club, and i'd assume thats the fastest most recreational cyclist get. I'm a little inexperienced in getting faster in a group, I ride mostly with people slower than me and go around 2mph less than on solo rides :huh: (was working on my bike handling skills).I'll see how speed changes with faster riders next season. When I see someone claim 25-30,the conversation ends,lol..

This is one of my typical rides during the week.I beat my old record on my weekly climb by 23 seconds!I went a little slow on the downhill though,lol..

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24712]

Some years ago I would have said that most people's averages are to be taken with a pinch of salt and that still applies somewhat, but a lot of peoples averages who I've talked to is quite do-able.

My average though is a measly.....5mph.

Susimi said:
Some years ago I would have said that most people's averages are to be taken with a pinch of salt and that still applies somewhat, but a lot of peoples averages who I've talked to is quite do-able.

My average though is a measly.....5mph.
you sound like your lying the opposite way...Maybe your doing the math wrong.

When I did this century with 10,000 ft of climbing, I averaged 14 mph. Not bad for a 230 lb rider. It was cool because the organization posted the results from that year as well as the past several years. I did the ride 4 times so I always had that proof to back up my claims. Anytime a forum poster posted a BS claim it was nice to go back to the results of the timed event and look up the claim or use it as proof to back up a claim.

But recently seems the org has redesigned their site and deleted all the past years' results! :angry:

Terrain is important but so are wind conditions. I know guys that can climb really well but put them on a flat road with wind and they suck big time. I'm always at the front of our group so it's like riding solo. I can say I am getting full benefits from riding at the front. :D

Uawadall said:
Usually they seem to give a vague description in terms of terrain and imply that those speeds are on solo rides. Starva stats would be an easy way to clarify, thats why they never post them,lol...
The thing about Strava is, it doesn't know whether your Garmin is mounted on a bike, with someone riding it, or mounted on a bike, with it hanging off the bike rack of a car. And yeah, knuckleheads have been known to drive segments at "believable" speeds in their cars, to get a KOM. They don't last long, because they get flagged right away, but it happens. There are also cases where someone forgets to shut his Garmin off, and has the auto pause enabled, so he records part of his drive home. ;)

mpre53 said:
. There are also cases where someone forgets to shut his Garmin off, and has the auto pause enabled, so he records part of his drive home. ;)
I did that one time! I got home plugged in and saw that I had a #1 spot on a segment recording a 60 MPH sprint! :lol:

I deleted the entry then reloaded manually. Sucks because you lose a few stats but I'd rather do that than be called a BS'er. B)

Mr. Beanz said:
I did that one time! I got home plugged in and saw that I had a #1 spot on a segment recording a 60 MPH sprint! :lol:

I deleted the entry then reloaded manually. Sucks because you lose a few stats but I'd rather do that than be called a BS'er. B)
60 mph??Totally doable,lol...

Theirs a guy who has like 1/3 of the KOM's in my area,time to investigate....lol..

Uawadall said:
60 mph??Totally doable,lol...

Theirs a guy who has like 1/3 of the KOM's in my area,time to investigate....lol..

Pfft! No way in heck would I even get close to a KOM on our local climb. The first 50 riders or so are Tour De France riders that did the Tour of California. :(

Attachments

• Capture01.JPG
    Capture01.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 6
Along with lifting, any other sport, or just in anything in general, people will lie about speeds. They wanna look good, so they will boast with no shame.