How Much Do People Typically Spend On Their Bikes?

Zackiac

Aug 13, 2015
Bit of a random question, but I was thinking of purchasing a new bike to replace my old mountain bike. I was thinking of still using a mountain bike, but I don't want to spend to much, yet still get a quality bike. Quality's everything! Does £300 seem like too much to you guys?

Reactions: haleylx4
I think £300 should be more than enough to get you a quality bike.

I bought mine a while ago from Halfords. I'm fairly sure that I paid around £180 for it when there was a sale on. I've had it a good few years, done many rides on it and it still does me proud.

There's no such thing as what one "typically" spends on a bicycle. In the US, quality road bikes start at around $500 USD, which gets you an alloy frame, alloy fork (in most cases) cheap-assed wheels and tires, and an 8 speed drive train. I mean 8 cogs on the rear cassette, not "8 speeds". 10 speed drives, with a carbon fiber fork, and slightly better wheels, start at $1000-$1200. If you want a full carbon fiber frame, they start at around $1800-$2000. As you go up in price, you get better wheels, sometimes a lighter frame, smoother shifting with lighter components, and at around $4500-$5000 you can get electronic shifting. And you can spend twice that if you choose to.

Woah, mpre53, thanks for that insight. I will take that on board. Susimi, I appreciate your statement regarding how appropriate my price range was for the bike. Just to ask was your bike a mountain bike?

Yeah it's a mountain bike with dual front & back suspensions. It might not be suited for road cycling but I do a lot of on & off road cycling and it does me well. It's never complained and I've never complained about it.

300$ is definitely enough, you will get a decent bike with that amount of money. Again the amount of money spent on a bike varies on the budget a person has.

Does it always have to be brand new? You can ask around for some used bikes that are still in good shape if you are a bit low on the budget. 250 to 300 budget will get you a pretty decent new one though.

Reactions: Susimi
The average decent bike goes for around ZAR 3 500 down here in South Africa. That's roughly $ 300 which seems to be on par with what most folks are paying for their bikes in other parts of the world. There are cheaper bikes available as well but those are mostly aimed at kids and first time cyclists. Those tend to be about half the price but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone that will be cycling on a regular basis. Definitely wouldn't trust them for long commutes, that's for sure.

Keyan said:
Does it always have to be brand new? You can ask around for some used bikes that are still in good shape if you are a bit low on the budget. 250 to 300 budget will get you a pretty decent new one though.
This is definitely true. There are some really quality used bikes around if you fancy going down that route. My first geared bike was a second-hand one and I loved it. It only came to it's end when I was foolish enough to let a "friend" have a go on it who "ghostied" it into some railings, buckling the handlebars.

MPRE is correct.
There is no typical spend that one could point to.

I guess a persons budget will ultimately determine how much that person can afford to spend.

In terms of bikes and equipment, the old saying "it's not the bike, it's the engine on the bike" which is important.
Regardless of what bike each of us has, we're the engine on that bike.

To the OP, stick to a budget that suits you. Try not to be persuaded to spend more than you can afford.
That would be my advice.
£300 you should be able to get a good bike for that money.

Susimi said:
This is definitely true. There are some really quality used bikes around if you fancy going down that route. My first geared bike was a second-hand one and I loved it. It only came to it's end when I was foolish enough to let a "friend" have a go on it who "ghostied" it into some railings, buckling the handlebars.
My first bike is also a used one and I had no problems with it. I decided to take that route because I was not sure during those times whether biking is for me or not so getting something that costs less is the best option. My second bike is a hand me down. A friend did an upgrade on his bike and gave me his old one.

How do you like your second bike? Is it better than the other one?

What made you get a different bike?

I spent $800 for a used 2013 cannondale synapse allow. I love it and plan on using it until it breaks.

Uawadall said:
I spent $800 for a used 2013 cannondale synapse allow. I love it and plan on using it until it breaks.

What do yo mean til it breaks? If something breaks, you replace it or upgrade the part and the bike is still good. Most times even better than it was if you upgrade.

mpre53 said:
Hi Beanz, haven't seen you in awhile over at BF. Good to see you here.
Your picture looks different from what I remember (younger). Are you the Fox/Edsel dude? :lol:

Believe it or not i have snapped 2 frames. Good thing about being the original owner is that a good manufacturer will replace the frame free of charge. I did 2 times and each time they upgraded the frame.