How Much Do You All Weigh?

I'm 5'8" and weigh 200 lbs. I am down from 235 last year. When I started cycling in May of this year, I was about 220. My next goal is 190. I don't have a long term weight I want to meet, but my ideal weight is probably 165-170 (I have a large frame):cool:

6'5" - 190 lbs.

just about right for me, i think.

not winning any KOM's though....

As of today, I weigh 214lbs @ 5'8". Average speed for 100miles is 18.2 and average heart rate, 136 BPM. Back in '95' when I was at my best, I was 175lbs, avg. speed 21.5 for 100miles and 127BPM heart rate.

Life got in the way of my passion for cycling and I ballooned up to 337lbs. It has taken me about 13 months to get where I'm at now. My goal is to get to 170lbs and better my 4:46 time for a century. :eek:

velomanct said:
BTW, magnus backstedt is 90 kilos or 198lbs, not 220 according to Bobke. that would be BIG for a tour rider.

Magnus's weight at the pre TdF medical was 98kg. I understand that a pound is 454g, so that would be 216lb.

rob of the og said:
Magnus's weight at the pre TdF medical was 98kg. I understand that a pound is 454g, so that would be 216lb.
well maybe your right. that is a lot, wow.
i read he was 90kilos in some mag, or on some cycling news site.

Carrera said:
Hi!
I got the answer to a question I was nervous of investigating the other day, namely my weight. I finally jumped on some pay scales, stuck a coin in and got my reading.
I haven't been dieting or anything and eat as much as I want (excluding junk food) and my weight is exactly 185 pounds. Strictly speaking, that's a little heavy for a cyclist but I feel O.K. at this weight. I think I must have slimmed down from 200 to 179 but I decided to put a little weight back so so I'm at 185 and stable. My energy level felt good on my ride today and I'm climbing fairly well at my present weight.
My question, though, is how much do you all weigh and what would be your ideal weight? Also how has manipulation of your bodyweight affected your cycling (i.e. losing some pounds or putting a few pounds back on).
Finally what do you all think is the average weight for a cyclist of normal height?
damn, you all pretty tall.
I'm 5'5 and weight 61kg (134lbs)

The secret is finding out what your ideal weight is. I'm not so sure the ideal weight is always the lightest, though. If losing too much weight causes joint pain, injury or loss of energy then gaining weight becomes an option.
I doubt any textbook can demonstrate how heavy or light a rider should be - which is where instinctive training comes in.

lpschafer said:
As of today, I weigh 214lbs @ 5'8". Average speed for 100miles is 18.2 and average heart rate, 136 BPM. Back in '95' when I was at my best, I was 175lbs, avg. speed 21.5 for 100miles and 127BPM heart rate.

Life got in the way of my passion for cycling and I ballooned up to 337lbs. It has taken me about 13 months to get where I'm at now. My goal is to get to 170lbs and better my 4:46 time for a century. :eek:

I am 5' 11" weigh in a 190 now but I was 230 just 3 years ago went on a big bender and got down to 175 but felt weak so I tried to gain to get to 180-185 were I feel the absolute best. (lost all the weight by reducing portion sizes a cutting out booze)

@180 even I didn't feel good but what a difference in climbing.

I then implimented a weight training program to supliment my riding activities and here I am at 190 stronger and fitter than when I was 20 (now 40). and body fat arround 15% which is good for my age group. would like to lower the BF to 10% but heck light beer just doesn't cut it for me anymore!!!!!!!

I'm 5'10 and weigh 62kg (136 pounds)

I've been lighter and felt slugish in the mountains i didn't have the power but i've also weighed more and foudn that the extra weight just slowed me down too much, therefore i've decided that 62kg is about where i need to be.

My dad was talking to Baden Cooke a while back and he said the same thing. When he was riding for the AIS they made him lose weight and he got down into the 60kg range but he said that he lost too much performance so he put the weight back on and know weighs in the 70kg range and everyone knows that it obviously works for him.

I think it's all about finding your optimal weight, you also have to look at what type of rider you want to be (mountain climber, sprinter)

Rollo

Height: 5' 6", Weight: 155 lbs Age: 47. Just getting back into riding (about 6 weeks now) and hoping to compete in some 40+ local races next year. Was 170 lbs when I started sliming down and looking to get to 145 over the next month. Used to race a long time ago at 145 and figured I'd start there.

For me:

Height: 6ft Weight: 190lbs Age: 36

Been riding regularly for the past 12 months and have dropped 25lbs. I'm more of a recreational rider but plan on doing a few races here in Singapore this next year.

I can definitely tell a difference on the bike from 12 months ago and could probably still lose another 10lbs to improve my climbs, but I'm quite happy where I am at with the group I ride with. :)

5'8", 184 lbs. Was 195 or so back in July before I took up cycling again after too many years off. Also cut down on the **** I was eating and desserts.

Feeling better, looking better, riding stronger...:D

DallasBikr

What weight is Robbie McEwan? He's a fantastic sprinter but seems far smaller and lighter than some of the other sprinters (Thor, Boonen).

Carrera said:
Hi!
I got the answer to a question I was nervous of investigating the other day, namely my weight. I finally jumped on some pay scales, stuck a coin in and got my reading.
I haven't been dieting or anything and eat as much as I want (excluding junk food) and my weight is exactly 185 pounds. Strictly speaking, that's a little heavy for a cyclist but I feel O.K. at this weight. I think I must have slimmed down from 200 to 179 but I decided to put a little weight back so so I'm at 185 and stable. My energy level felt good on my ride today and I'm climbing fairly well at my present weight.
My question, though, is how much do you all weigh and what would be your ideal weight? Also how has manipulation of your bodyweight affected your cycling (i.e. losing some pounds or putting a few pounds back on).
Finally what do you all think is the average weight for a cyclist of normal height?
im 6'3 and i weigh 163 lbs and im 17

i rarely weight myself but the last time i did, a few months ago i was and 10 st 8oz. I may have put a pound or two on i would guess that i am 11st. ish and i am 5'8"

That seems to me like a pretty perfect weight for a climber. I once had somebody around your build pass me by on a climb (didn't know the guy was behind) and it killed me trying to keep up. Finally I began to slip behind. Of course, I was carrying about 190 lbs at the time (I went down to about 178 and am now back to 185).
To be honest, I consider myself a fairly strong climber but very much doubt I could keep up with a far ligher guy. Ideally a climber should be around your size and structure, although there are exceptions such as Miguel Indurain.
By the way, can this Thor guy climb at his weight of over 200 lbs or is he a sprinter?

superclimber said:
5'6.5" 143 pounds (or 65 kilos). and I'm 8 kg over my racing weight.