How much do you spend on repairs because your bike does'nt weigh enough?

Originally posted by HarryS
There's been a lot written about the Veloflex Pave tires. The last review actually in this months issue of Bicycling magazine. All extremely positive. As to the tubes, I personally think they do nothing at all to puncture protection. Think about it. A piece of rubber inflated to 120psi will puncture if it is confronted with a penetrating object regardless of the wall thickness of the rubber. The only protection comes from the tire itself! Hence, you can put the lightest tube under any tire and save weight. The Veloflex Pave has a tripple Kevlar puncture protection. I have ridden over glass and gravel and have not punctured.

hi HARRY, i want to buy a set of them veloflex tires,
i see there called (clinchers) then theres (tubulars)
whats the difference, will the velos work on ksyierum
ssc sls?

Originally posted by zaskar
hi HARRY, i want to buy a set of them veloflex tires,
i see there called (clinchers) then theres (tubulars)
whats the difference, will the velos work on ksyierum
ssc sls?
You want to get the Clincher tires. Those are the ones with tubes. Yes they will work with your Ksyrium SSCs. Send an email to Danny his email address is
[email protected]
he has the best price on these tires. He actually mails you the tires and you pay when you get them. I buy all my tires from him as do many other cyclists. I believe he sells them fro $31.99 each.
Hope this helps!

Originally posted by HarryS
You want to get the Clincher tires. Those are the ones with tubes. Yes they will work with your Ksyrium SSCs. Send an email to Danny his email address is
[email protected]
he has the best price on these tires. He actually mails you the tires and you pay when you get them. I buy all my tires from him as do many other cyclists. I believe he sells them fro $31.99 each.
Hope this helps!

thanks Harry, that a good price on them tires ill e mail him.
today i rode my 1st group ride since installing a mich axil
and i could feel the weight up hills, i gotta get rid of it!
i

Originally posted by DesertRider
Anyone?
My 2 centimes? Lighter isn't always better. I'm a big fat man & I swapped out an altec 2 frame with Profile BRC forks for a custom Columbus EL-OS steel frame with Columbus muscle forks. I also swapped over to slightly heavier OS bars and a 4-bolt stem. The Altec always felt like spaghetti under me (yeah, it WAS the wrong frame for the fat man). The new ride is stiffer + stronger + faster + smoother = Better. I can give it serious wellie and not have it feel like it's going to fold under me. All at a cost of an extra 300 grams (I pass more than that at my mid-ride pitstop). Wheels are CXP33s on chorus hubs, 32hole (also bomb-proof). Go heavy go hard I say (if you're a clyde).

This year I lost 6 kilos in weight nursing my Mum through a broken knee , as a diet I would not however recommend it .
¿ I would question just how many of us could lose more kgs from our bodies at a rather lower price than the same weight from our bikes ?

Originally posted by el Inglés
This year I lost 6 kilos in weight nursing my Mum through a broken knee , as a diet I would not however recommend it .
¿ I would question just how many of us could lose more kgs from our bodies at a rather lower price than the same weight from our bikes ?

This has been discussed so many times that ist must get old by now.
My personal opinion is very simple and I believe somewhat convincing.
If you have fun lightening up your bike whether it is by a few grams or by a pound, and if you have the financial means to do it and derive pleasure from go for it! Will it make you a better rider? Yes, I think it will. However, the gain will be disproportional to the savings in weight (but more proporational to the money spent). The reason is that if you like your bike more you will ride more. If you ride more you will get better.
By the same logic, if a golden seatpost turns you on and makes you put in an extra 50miles/week, that golden seatpost will make you a better rider.
If these things do not alter your habits, lightening your bike by a half a pound will probably make no difference. Indeed, if you spend more time tinkering than riding it may even become detrimental.
Does that make sense?

Well put. Technology has made it possible to achieve both weight savings and reliability in most areas. Each stress point on a bike has it's limits as do people. The industry has been somewhat irresponsible in the advertising of certain components(carbon,high density plastic) as being the lightweight answer for everyone. It is not. Some of these items only perform at 100% up to a 160lb. rider. Do you think they are going to tell us that? It does not mean the product will fail with a 190lb. rider, just diminish the actual gain in performance as stated in the above post, meanwhile the company has sold and made big money selling us plastic handlebars(I own EC90's). It's a shame when you hear of bad crashes and severe injuries because a persons God-given body was heavier than the company's test rider. We all share the passion of riding regardless of body type. I'm 6'1,200 which is considered normal in America. Sure, at one point I was at 180lbs. when I was doing 200 mi/wk. Then had a child, bought a house, got a full life and priorities shift. Yes, those new aluminum water bottle bolts can sometimes be a motivator to get out there more often, and thats great!