How much do you swim before competition?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Gosia, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Gosia

    Gosia Guest

    I have championships next weekend and local competition on 25.03 . I will have to swim 100m and 50m backstroke, 50m free(relay) - on both Until now I didn't find good way to cut the distance on my trainings week or few days before start. I think of no swimming at all for a week. How much do you cut?

    -----------
    Gosia PL

    Tags:

  2. "Gosia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have championships next weekend and local competition on 25.03 . I will have
    > to swim 100m and 50m backstroke, 50m free(relay) - on both Until now I didn't
    > find good way to cut the distance on my trainings week or few days before
    > start. I think of no swimming at all for a week. How much do you cut?
    >

    > -----------
    > Gosia PL

    You're only swimming a measley 200, why would you cut anything for a day, much
    less a week? That's silly!

  3. Exk7

    Exk7 Guest

    > "Gosia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I have championships next weekend and local competition on
    >>25.03 . I will have to swim 100m and 50m backstroke, 50m
    >>free(relay) - on both Until now I didn't find good way to
    >>cut the distance on my trainings week or few days before
    >>start. I think of no swimming at all for a week. How much
    >>do you cut?

    The shorter the distances I race, the longer I taper. The
    real problem is tapering for endurance events such as an
    ironman in which it's important not to lose the ability to
    go long. If the swim event is very important and the
    distances very short, I have tapered as long as three weeks.
    Two days before I don't swim at all, but it's very important
    for me to be in the water the day before for at least 500
    yards and the same day for almost the same amount. The week
    before, I cut my swims in half, retaining a few sprints at
    not quite full effort.

    rtk

  4. Andrew Smith

    Andrew Smith Guest

    " exk7" <" exk7"@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > "Gosia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >>I have championships next weekend and local competition
    > >>on 25.03 . I will have to swim 100m and 50m backstroke,
    > >>50m free(relay) - on both Until now I didn't find good
    > >>way to cut the distance on my trainings week or few days
    > >>before start. I think of no swimming at all for a week.
    > >>How much do you cut?
    > >>

    > The shorter the distances I race, the longer I taper. The
    > real problem is tapering for endurance events such as an
    > ironman in which it's important not to lose the ability to
    > go long. If the swim event is very important and the
    > distances very short, I have tapered as long as three
    > weeks. Two days before I don't swim at all, but it's very
    > important for me to be in the water the day before for at
    > least 500 yards and the same day for almost the same
    > amount. The week before, I cut my swims in half, retaining
    > a few sprints at not quite full effort.

    Do you keep at least one long swim just as long at least
    until the final week?

    a.

  5. Gosia

    Gosia Guest

    >You're only swimming a measley 200, why would you cut
    >anything for a day, much less a week? That's silly!

    Measley 200 is harder for me than long distance. I'm better
    in

  6. Exk7

    Exk7 Guest

    For an ironman I go the whole distance of the swim just a
    few days before, most of the bike leg 10 days earlier, and
    only a ten mile run one week before. If I were swimming the
    1650 at a swim meet I would keep the long swim, otherwise
    no. Some time ago when I was doing sets of ten 50's in 40
    seconds, going on the minute, I would do a single 50 in 35
    seconds without taper. With a long taper, I went down to 31.
    I was fifty something then. Now I'm slower, but the long
    taper is still appropriate for me for very short distances.

    andrew smith wrote:

    > Do you keep at least one long swim just as long at least
    > until the final week?
    >
    > a.

  7. Gosia

    Gosia Guest

    Measley 200 is harder for me than long distance . I don't
    know how to use all my power in such a short swim. It is not
    nice feeling that after 50m I still have reserve of energy.

    ----------------
    Gosia PL

  8. Liz D

    Liz D Guest

    " exk7" <" exk7"@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Gosia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >>I have championships next weekend and local competition
    > >>on 25.03 . I will have to swim 100m and 50m backstroke,
    > >>50m free(relay) - on both Until now I didn't find good
    > >>way to cut the distance on my trainings week or few days
    > >>before start. I think of no swimming at all for a week.
    > >>How much do you cut?
    > >>

    > The shorter the distances I race, the longer I taper. The
    > real problem is tapering for endurance events such as an
    > ironman in which it's important not to lose the ability to
    > go long. If the swim event is very important and the
    > distances very short, I have tapered as long as three
    > weeks. Two days before I don't swim at all, but it's very
    > important for me to be in the water the day before for at
    > least 500 yards and the same day for almost the same
    > amount. The week before, I cut my swims in half, retaining
    > a few sprints at not quite full effort.
    >
    > rtk

    Hi Ruth

    I am swimming in our national masters champs (long course)
    on Sat/Sun
    20/21 March. I am swimming 50m, 100m, 200m & 400m free & 50m
    back. I won't place anywhere but would like to swim some
    PBs and ideally match or better my times from the world
    champs in Christchurch 2 years ago (which are still my
    best 50m times).

    I currently swim around 2.2km 3 or 4 times a week -
    currently Sun, Tue, Thur & if possible Fri. My Sunday swim
    this week was a 2km open water swim event. My only
    opportunities to swim in a 50m pool are on Fridays, which
    would include the day before ie Fri 19th. Last week I did a
    good session working on my 400m pacing in the 50m pool, and
    one specific sprint speed session. I am feeling my speed is
    very under-done at the moment.

    Any suggestions on what I could do over the next 2 weeks to
    optimise my performance?

    TIA

    Liz D

  9. Exk7

    Exk7 Guest

    Liz D wrote:

    > Hi Ruth
    >
    > I am swimming in our national masters champs (long course)
    > on Sat/Sun
    > 20/21 March. I am swimming 50m, 100m, 200m & 400m free &
    > 50m back. I won't place anywhere but would like to swim
    > some PBs and ideally match or better my times from the
    > world champs in Christchurch 2 years ago (which are
    > still my best 50m times).

    I would be way out of line if I attempted to advise anyone
    about the best strategies for tapering for a meet. For sure
    I know what has worked for me and some of that seems to work
    for others, but I have only the smallest smattering of
    knowledge about the physical changes that result from
    various degrees of easing up on the demands of muscular
    effort or endurance. As I mentioned, I find the subtlest
    tapering to be that for endurance. I and most people I know
    seem to need the psychological reassurance of maintaining
    long workouts past the point when they do any good
    physically. It's much easier and takes no courage to taper
    for a fast 50 which, for me, depends on cutting back
    severely. It amazes me how much strength hides behind a worn-
    out muscle if it is allowed to heal for a couple weeks. For
    a meet on Sat/Sun, I certainly would stay dry on Thursday,
    following an easy week of less than half my usual distance.
    But on Friday I would put in some sharp 25's or even less
    and a long cool-down, mostly of easy drills. Tapering for a
    middle distance is a mystery to me. I'd rather prepare for
    and swim either 50's or 1650's. The 200 requires a judicious
    mix of strength and endurance that I've never found.

    Again, this is purely what works for me. Good luck!

    Ruth Kazez

  10. Dani

    Dani Guest

  11. Diablo

    Diablo Guest

    i model my tapers around a three week paradigm, (20-21 days
    out from meet).

    first week (day 1-7), all VO2 is cut out, and volume is
    lowered by 15-20%. Unbroken speed endurance is maintained.
    short power sets done with paddles and cords.

    second week (day 8-14), speed work is shifted to broken
    swims, volume of speed work is decreased as weel progresses.
    volume drops a further 20%. paddle work cut out. light
    resistance, (cords and parachutes) maintained.

    third week (day 15-21), all broken swims cut out, replaced
    by builds, breaks, short sprints. volume at 40-50% of usual,
    (approx. 10 days of 3K yards per session).

    this is the model i used for this taper i was just doing. i
    didn't maintain volume for the distance swimmers, and they
    produced outstanding swims, (bunch of zone cuts, speedo
    sectional cuts and quad-A times). i think if you're at peak
    VO2 when you begin the taper, 30 minutes of aerobic work a
    day will retard your detraining enough to that you'll not
    have to worry about it. remember that yardage, even long
    slow swimming, fatigues.

    one thing i was VERY nervous about was cutting out all
    speed work with 5 days left before the first splash. in
    retrospect it worked out ok, but after having done brokens
    every day to suddenly cut them was nerve wracking. as i
    anticipated, they very practically wired to compete because
    they hadn't swum fast for so long. i think the only events
    that suffered were some of the 200's, and then it was only
    in certain cases. i intend to go through the results and
    see if i can find trends.

    another point to note is that in terms of doing broken work,
    the girls only did 2/3's of what the guys did. this past
    meet was focus for those who did not have the maximum amount
    of Speedo Sectional cuts...the others are in the last three
    days of their tapers, and well, i'm starting to second guess
    every move i've made in terms of training since january...

    ...but thats what makes it so damned interesting.

  12. Liz D

    Liz D Guest

    " exk7" <" exk7"@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Liz D wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Ruth
    > >
    > > I am swimming in our national masters champs (long
    > > course) on Sat/Sun
    > > 20/21 March. I am swimming 50m, 100m, 200m & 400m free &
    > > 50m back. I won't place anywhere but would like to
    > > swim some PBs and ideally match or better my times
    > > from the world champs in Christchurch 2 years ago
    > > (which are still my best 50m times).
    >

    > I would be way out of line if I attempted to advise anyone
    > about the best strategies for tapering for a meet. For
    > sure I know what has worked for me and some of that seems
    > to work for others, but I have only the smallest
    > smattering of knowledge about the physical changes that
    > result from various degrees of easing up on the demands of
    > muscular effort or endurance. As I mentioned, I find the
    > subtlest tapering to be that for endurance. I and most
    > people I know seem to need the psychological reassurance
    > of maintaining long workouts past the point when they do
    > any good physically. It's much easier and takes no courage
    > to taper for a fast 50 which, for me, depends on cutting
    > back severely. It amazes me how much strength hides behind
    > a worn-out muscle if it is allowed to heal for a couple
    > weeks. For a meet on Sat/Sun, I certainly would stay dry
    > on Thursday, following an easy week of less than half my
    > usual distance. But on Friday I would put in some sharp
    > 25's or even less and a long cool-down, mostly of easy
    > drills. Tapering for a middle distance is a mystery to me.
    > I'd rather prepare for and swim either 50's or 1650's. The
    > 200 requires a judicious mix of strength and endurance
    > that I've never found.
    >
    > Again, this is purely what works for me. Good luck!
    >
    > Ruth Kazez

    Thanks for that, Ruth, taken with the caveat and disclaimer.

    I generally have the feeling that most masters swimmers
    (myself included) don't swim sufficient volumes or in a
    scientifically controlled manner (such as "diabolo"
    discussed) to make a real "taper" essential or desirable.
    Those kind of swimmers taper *down* to volumes that are
    still several times what I swim each week.

    I think the main thing is not arriving at the meet too tired
    (yesterday I was still feeling the effects of Sunday's 2km
    open water swim, no more long slow distance of that
    magnitude). I had a couple of weeks off swimming last year
    following a minor foot operation which necessitated a week
    of almost complete rest, when I got back in the pool I felt
    great! Even though I hadn't swum for 2 weeks, I was really
    rested & refreshed. But then I had to have another couple of
    weeks off following a post-op infection and after that I
    felt terrible for a couple of weeks. SO a bit of rest is
    good, too much definitely not.

    I find what works best for me for 200m & (especially) 400m
    is to do "pacing" work, getting used to the kinetic feel of
    the different pace I need to swim at to achieve my goal
    times. This seems to be best done as close as possible to
    the event. Luckily my 200m is Sat and 400m is Sun, so I can
    use the warm-up periods on those days with that focus.

    I'll let you know how I go.

    Thanks

    Liz D