How much does a CompuTrainer Pro weigh?

RapDaddyo

May 17, 2005
I am thinking about getting a CompuTrainer Pro in order to have a good "Road Warrior" package of bike and trainer. They have a nice travel case with wheels and all. But, I can't find anywhere on their website or user manuals the weights of the CompuTrainer itself (much less the case). Can anybody tell me how much these things weigh, together with the handlebar mounted controller(s)? I need to check into airline checked baggage limits/costs. Thanks in advance for any info.

RapDaddyo said:
I am thinking about getting a CompuTrainer Pro in order to have a good "Road Warrior" package of bike and trainer. They have a nice travel case with wheels and all. But, I can't find anywhere on their website or user manuals the weights of the CompuTrainer itself (much less the case). Can anybody tell me how much these things weigh, together with the handlebar mounted controller(s)? I need to check into airline checked baggage limits/costs. Thanks in advance for any info.
Rap,

My trainer with load generator weighs 23lbs. Controller is 1.3lbs with all cables, the power cord is 3.6lbs. Don't forget your laptop, too.

JIM WV said:
Rap,

My trainer with load generator weighs 23lbs. Controller is 1.3lbs with all cables, the power cord is 3.6lbs. Don't forget your laptop, too.
Thanks, Jim. About 28lbs. Now if I can just find out how much their case weighs. Fortunately, my laptop doesn't have to be checked. But, I'm really frustrated trying to get excess baggage rules on the major airlines. Wow, they sure don't use the same rulebook. Wonder why their policies are so different? I am planning to get one of the Tri-All-3-Sports bike cases that don't require any disassembly and I was hoping I could rig up a way to strap both the bike case and the CompuTrainer case together and pay only one excess baggage charge, but the dimension limitations are a bit restrictive. I guess the triathletes deal with this **** all the time. I suppose I'm spoiled because I almost never have to take a plane to a bike race. BTW, if you ever need to get all these rules at one site, go to http://www.seatguru.com/. One stop shopping for air travel info. Thanks again for the info. Let me know if I can ever do anything for you.

No problem. I've had my share of flying to races and it can be tough, especially dealing with different airports' "policies" let alone airlines (some airports buy the "its golf clubs" others sniff a bike in a second) Plus, you can deal with getting some replacement street clothes but if you're bike goes to Timbucktoo . . . BTW, I've got the Tri-All-3 case (single bike) and it's pretty good.

RapDaddyo said:
BTW, if you ever need to get all these rules at one site, go to http://www.seatguru.com/. One stop shopping for air travel info.
Yea that's a great site to look at the best seats for the different planes.

RD have you considered a Richey break away bike?
If you have a roller bag and your laptop case to carry on, might you be able to get away with no excess baggage charges if you had a case for your computrainer and one for the bike? The dimentions are more restrictive than the weight right?

http://www.ritcheylogic.com

Pureshot78 said:
Yea that's a great site to look at the best seats for the different planes.

RD have you considered a Richey break away bike?
If you have a roller bag and your laptop case to carry on, might you be able to get away with no excess baggage charges if you had a case for your computrainer and one for the bike? The dimentions are more restrictive than the weight right?

http://www.ritcheylogic.com
Thanks for the suggestion, Pureshot. No, I haven't considered the Ritchey. I was originally thinking of rigging up my own extension to the TriAll-3 bike case, for the CompuTrainer. But, now that I have studied the complex excess baggage rules of the various major airlines (my head hurts), I'm worried about exceeding the max dimension limits. The one constant I found is that the sum of dimensions <62" qualifies at most airlines as standard checked baggage. But, the internal dimensions of the TriAll-3 bag are 48x15x30 (sum=93) and I assume I have to add at least 2" per dimension for external dimensions (estimated sum=99). The excess baggage restrictions range from 80" (AirTran, Delta, SW) to 160" (NW -- go NW!), but most are at 115". I have more latitude on weight (most carriers allow up to 100lbs). So, I'm sort of resigned to two bags, one for the bike and one for the trainer. It'll be cool if I can figure out how to get everything into one bag, but I'm at 2 bags at the moment. But, I'm pretty sure I can figure out a way to lash them together when the baggage rules permit. I hope the CompuTrainer is quiet. I don't want to get kicked out of a hotel because I'm making too much noise (maybe I should always ask for a room on the ground floor).

RapDaddyo said:
I hope the CompuTrainer is quiet. I don't want to get kicked out of a hotel because I'm making too much noise (maybe I should always ask for a room on the ground floor).
Yea I'd go for the ground room floor to be sure. I looked at the ritchey bike when i was traveling 50-80% of the time at my last job. I probably would have gotten one but couldn't really swing the finances. As a result I raced very little and my training went in the tank last summer. :(

I hadn't really thought about taking a trainer on the road (i was going to Florida a lot and would have just ridden outdoors) but it sounds like you have a really good setup planned. From the description of things, with the Ritchey bike you would be able to get away without any excess baggage charges right?

Are you still getting the Velodyne? Or did you change your mind to the Computrainer?

Pureshot78 said:
Are you still getting the Velodyne? Or did you change your mind to the Computrainer?
The Velodyne is still my first choice, but I may go with the CT so that I can take it on the road. But, I still have my eye on my dream workout room with the Velodyne and an altitude simulator. Oh, and the lifesize photo of the charging Bengal tiger.:D

RapDaddyo said:
The Velodyne is still my first choice, but I may go with the CT so that I can take it on the road. But, I still have my eye on my dream workout room with the Velodyne and an altitude simulator. Oh, and the lifesize photo of the charging Bengal tiger.:D
I agree, I hope to have a room like that setup in the next couple of years as well. Today after our 50 mile group ride i was explaining how i do 1 hr -1.5 hr sessions on the trainer on the weekdays. The guys were like "how in the heck do you stand to do that?" I thought about telling them about the CP model and all the cool stuff i'm learning, but i figured i need to get some podium finishes out of this hard work first. Plus, people that train by HR just wouldn't understand. ;)

Pureshot78 said:
I agree, I hope to have a room like that setup in the next couple of years as well. Today after our 50 mile group ride i was explaining how i do 1 hr -1.5 hr sessions on the trainer on the weekdays. The guys were like "how in the heck do you stand to do that?" I thought about telling them about the CP model and all the cool stuff i'm learning, but i figured i need to get some podium finishes out of this hard work first. Plus, people that train by HR just wouldn't understand. ;)
I think their comprehension skills will improve immensely after you get a few podium finishes.:D

RapDaddyo said:
The one constant I found is that the sum of dimensions <62" qualifies at most airlines as standard checked baggage. But, the internal dimensions of the TriAll-3 bag are 48x15x30 (sum=93) and I assume I have to add at least 2" per dimension for external dimensions (estimated sum=99). The excess baggage .... blah ... blah ... blah ....
Benefit of being in the military. Just need a set of orders and excess baggage restrictions pretty much go right out the window. :)

NomadVW said:
Benefit of being in the military. Just need a set of orders and excess baggage restrictions pretty much go right out the window. :)
Sounds nice. What I don't quite understand is how the baggage restrictions are not common among the carriers. I mean, what do they do when you originate on NW and connect to a Southwest flight? Are they going to say, "Well, your bag meets our restrictions but you can't check it through on Southwest because their rules are different?" And when did you ever see an agent at the check-in counter take out a tape measure to see if your bag's dimensions are within their limits? Of course, if they did that and my bag didn't meet the limit I'd be screwed. My flight leaves in an hour, I have a meeting scheduled and there I am with my bike in a case that I can't check.:confused:

RapDaddyo said:
Sounds nice. What I don't quite understand is how the baggage restrictions are not common among the carriers. I mean, what do they do when you originate on NW and connect to a Southwest flight? Are they going to say, "Well, your bag meets our restrictions but you can't check it through on Southwest because their rules are different?" And when did you ever see an agent at the check-in counter take out a tape measure to see if your bag's dimensions are within their limits? Of course, if they did that and my bag didn't meet the limit I'd be screwed. My flight leaves in an hour, I have a meeting scheduled and there I am with my bike in a case that I can't check.:confused:
Typically we're told that whatever the originating carrier agrees to, the successive carriers are required to meet. YMMV... or... I hope it doesn't anyway.