how much does a tune up cost?

modmans2ndcoming

Guest
Well, I figure I should get the back wheel of my new old bike taken
care of by a pro so it is road ready to start with. I plan to take it
to the bike shop tomorrow, I have never actually done this ever since
this is my first bike since i was 15 and then it was just a POS my dad
got me. How much does a tune up with a wheel righting cost?

thanks,

Jeremy

Too much!

modmans2ndcoming wrote:
> Well, I figure I should get the back wheel of my new old bike taken
> care of by a pro so it is road ready to start with. I plan to take it
> to the bike shop tomorrow, I have never actually done this ever since
> this is my first bike since i was 15 and then it was just a POS my dad
> got me. How much does a tune up with a wheel righting cost?
>
> thanks,
>
> Jeremy

Here in the republic, bike tunes run from cheapies at about $25 to a
good one at about $75. Ask if they take the tires off to true the
wheels(they should), ask if they measure chain wear with a good chain
length checker, ask if they check torque and lube cables, chain, etc.
Some here in Boulder really just look at the rim while in the frame,
run thru things, maybe clean some and then charge $25. 'You get what
you pay for' applies in bike stunes as well.

If the guy that's gonna do the work is a young kid with purple hair and
multi piercings, go elsewhere.

On 19 Apr 2006 03:54:51 -0700, "modmans2ndcoming"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>that was helpful....
>
>not.

That was my thought too.

But really, it is hard to say, depends on location. Most of us, in a
tech group do our own work. Maybe Andy, Phil or Mike could answer
based on their shops. Last time I had one done it was $35.

Rather than ask us, call and ask the LBSs.

I have a helpful suggestion for you. Take a look at how others post
and start using that format. What I mean, is put or leave the last
message/post, in the message that you are working on . Then post your
info/questions below, that last message. Don't post it above known as
"top posting", because it can be confusing.

Are you using a newsreader, or Google Groups?

Life is Good!
Jeff

....but true. I have talked to individuals who have paid $135 to have
there "hanging in the garage...never used" bicycles tuned up for their
New Year's resolution. That is too much...especially considering that
the bicycle(s) in question probably weren't more than $300. But then I
live in California.

Better?

Scott wrote:
> ...but true. I have talked to individuals who have paid $135 to have
> there "hanging in the garage...never used" bicycles tuned up for their
> New Year's resolution. That is too much...especially considering that
> the bicycle(s) in question probably weren't more than $300. But then I
> live in California.

May not be too bad, since that $300 bike is a $750 bike after you adjust
for inflation.

I haven't asked lately, but local shops used to charge about $25 to
adjust cables, check braking and shifting, and spin the wheels;
repacking bearings (wheels and bottom bracket, not sure about headset),
and check wheel trueness off the bike added another $50. Parts were extra.

Pat

Replace chain, cables, true the wheels, clean and regrease the hub
bearings, clean and regrease the headset. Parts and labor, I'd pay
$100.00. If you need a new cassette add another $50. New brake pads
$10. Or you can do all this yourself and save about $70 in labor.

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 06:03:04 -0700, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Here in the republic, bike tunes run from cheapies at about $25 to a
> good one at about $75. Ask if they take the tires off to true the
> wheels(they should), ask if they measure chain wear with a good chain
> length checker, ask if they check torque and lube cables, chain, etc.
> Some here in Boulder really just look at the rim while in the frame, run
> thru things, maybe clean some and then charge $25. 'You get what you pay
> for' applies in bike stunes as well.

$70 for a full tuneup before parts seems about right to me too. And while
you don't always get what you pay for, you almost never get what you don't
pay for.

> If the guy that's gonna do the work is a young kid with purple hair and
> multi piercings, go elsewhere.

How about a middle aged guy (or gal) with purple hair and piercings?
There are a lot of those working in bike shops!

Point well taken about the inexperienced kids though, especially when they
have a 'tude as well. It's probably a good sign when the mechanic is
older. He's more likely to have experience, and the owner is more likely
hiring him because of his skills (instead of just being able to pay him
less).

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 06:03:04 -0700, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
> > Here in the republic, bike tunes run from cheapies at about $25 to a
> > good one at about $75. Ask if they take the tires off to true the
> > wheels(they should), ask if they measure chain wear with a good chain
> > length checker, ask if they check torque and lube cables, chain, etc.
> > Some here in Boulder really just look at the rim while in the frame, run
> > thru things, maybe clean some and then charge $25. 'You get what you pay
> > for' applies in bike stunes as well.

> $70 for a full tuneup before parts seems about right to me too. And while
> you don't always get what you pay for, you almost never get what you don't
> pay for.
>
> > If the guy that's gonna do the work is a young kid with purple hair and
> > multi piercings, go elsewhere.

> How about a middle aged guy (or gal) with purple hair and piercings?
> There are a lot of those working in bike shops!
>
> Point well taken about the inexperienced kids though, especially when they
> have a 'tude as well. It's probably a good sign when the mechanic is
> older. He's more likely to have experience, and the owner is more likely
> hiring him because of his skills (instead of just being able to pay him
> less).
>
> Matt O.

yesterday a guy came in with an old Centurion and asked about making it
a fixed gear. He said he had been to 3 other shops in Boulder and heard
things like, "can't do it". "it's a track frame, can't do it"(it's a
road frame), last was 'fixies are dangerous'....from some kids and 2
middle aged guys.......we are gonna make it into a fixie BTW-easy job,
not sure why these other shops are turning biz away....

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> If the guy that's gonna do the work is a young kid with purple hair and
> multi piercings, go elsewhere.

Say, you wouldn't be talking about the person who works at the
Performance shop in Fountain Valley California, would you? A pleasing
person to talk with, but a little painful to look at.

On 19 Apr 2006 06:03:04 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Ask if they take the tires off to true the
>wheels(they should),

Matters not on my tubulars!

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> modmans2ndcoming wrote:
> > Well, I figure I should get the back wheel of my new old bike taken
> > care of by a pro so it is road ready to start with. I plan to take it
> > to the bike shop tomorrow, I have never actually done this ever since
> > this is my first bike since i was 15 and then it was just a POS my dad
> > got me. How much does a tune up with a wheel righting cost?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Jeremy

> Here in the republic, bike tunes run from cheapies at about $25 to a
> good one at about $75. Ask if they take the tires off to true the
> wheels(they should), ask if they measure chain wear with a good chain
> length checker, ask if they check torque and lube cables, chain, etc.
> Some here in Boulder really just look at the rim while in the frame,
> run thru things, maybe clean some and then charge $25. 'You get what
> you pay for' applies in bike stunes as well.

<cut>

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Asking for a "tune up"
is pretty meaningless, the OP should specify what tasks he wants
carried out and go from there.

Andrew Webster

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> modmans2ndcoming wrote:
>> Well, I figure I should get the back wheel of my new old bike taken
>> care of by a pro so it is road ready to start with. I plan to take it
>> to the bike shop tomorrow, I have never actually done this ever since
>> this is my first bike since i was 15 and then it was just a POS my
>> dad got me. How much does a tune up with a wheel righting cost?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Jeremy

> Here in the republic, bike tunes run from cheapies at about $25 to a
> good one at about $75. Ask if they take the tires off to true the
> wheels(they should), ask if they measure chain wear with a good chain
> length checker, ask if they check torque and lube cables, chain, etc.
> Some here in Boulder really just look at the rim while in the frame,
> run thru things, maybe clean some and then charge $25. 'You get what
> you pay for' applies in bike stunes as well.

Here in Gainesville, standard tuneup is $40. Wheels trued off the bike,
brakes adjusted/oiled, derailleurs adjusted, all bearings checked/adjusted,
straighten anything crooked, and cleaning.

> If the guy that's gonna do the work is a young kid with purple hair
> and multi piercings, go elsewhere.

If you saw me, you'd say, "Jeez, I thought we weren't allowed to hire
children in this country."

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>Well, I figure I should get the back wheel of my new old bike taken
>care of by a pro so it is road ready to start with. I plan to take it
>to the bike shop tomorrow, I have never actually done this ever since
>this is my first bike since i was 15 and then it was just a POS my dad
>got me. How much does a tune up with a wheel righting cost?

Ask the mechanic at the bike shop. Isn't that answer obvious? Unless there
is someone who happens to live the in the same city and frequent the same
bike shop, how would someone here know? Costs vary from city to city and
shop to shop.
Alex