How much does tension rise on squeezed spokes?

[email protected] wrote:

> The obvious point of the graph is that on this particular
> rim with spokes with these initial tensions, a hand-squeeze
> of 100 pounds would raise the spoke tension about 100
> pounds, averaged for the necessary two spokes, considerably
> less than has often been predicted.
>
> This seems to confirm Joe Riel's point that rim stiffness
> plays a major role in how high spoke-squeezing can raise
> spoke tension.

Something seems fishy.

According to Gavin's paper, wheels built with 36 spokes of 2mm diameter
should have an absolute radial stiffness of 4-5,000N/mm.

Based on your measured deflection at mid-span of 20mm (consistent with
the rough appearance of approximately 10 degree deflection), I calculate
a rim deflection of around 2mm for a load of 100lb (~450N) x 2 spokes,
or 450N/mm, or 10% of Gavin's claim. The spokes on that wheel should go
completely slack when ridden.

Peter Cole <[email protected]> writes:

> According to Gavin's paper, wheels built with 36 spokes of 2mm
> diameter should have an absolute radial stiffness of 4-5,000N/mm.
>
> Based on your measured deflection at mid-span of 20mm (consistent with
> the rough appearance of approximately 10 degree deflection), I
> calculate a rim deflection of around 2mm for a load of 100lb (~450N) x
> 2 spokes, or 450N/mm, or 10% of Gavin's claim. The spokes on that
> wheel should go completely slack when ridden.

No. The number you computed (450N/mm) corresponds to the radial
stiffness of the segment of the rim that is affected; it doesn't
include the stiffness of the spokes being squeezed. It is expected
to be much less than the effective radial rim stiffness.

--
Joe Riel

Joe Riel wrote:
> Peter Cole <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> According to Gavin's paper, wheels built with 36 spokes of 2mm
>> diameter should have an absolute radial stiffness of 4-5,000N/mm.
>>
>> Based on your measured deflection at mid-span of 20mm (consistent with
>> the rough appearance of approximately 10 degree deflection), I
>> calculate a rim deflection of around 2mm for a load of 100lb (~450N) x
>> 2 spokes, or 450N/mm, or 10% of Gavin's claim. The spokes on that
>> wheel should go completely slack when ridden.

> No. The number you computed (450N/mm) corresponds to the radial
> stiffness of the segment of the rim that is affected; it doesn't
> include the stiffness of the spokes being squeezed. It is expected
> to be much less than the effective radial rim stiffness.

Consider the triangle formed by the deflected (20mm) spoke. We know the
length of the hypotenuse from the spoke elastic stretch, which for the
"delta" load (~100lb or 450N) is about 0.5mm for a 2mm diameter spoke of
300mm length. So, from simple trig, we know the length of the other
side, which is the original spoke path shortened by the rim deflection,
which is roughly 149mm, so the rim deflection is twice that, or about 2mm.

Both Brandt's book and Gavin's paper are in rough agreement predicting
0.1-0.15mm rim deflection with a 500N load. Carl's load is about twice
that, so the maximum rim deflection should be ~0.3mm. Of course the load
points are 20 degrees apart in Carl's case, but that indicates the wheel
is even less stiff than these calculations suggest.

Peter Cole <[email protected]> writes:

> Joe Riel wrote:
>> Peter Cole <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>> According to Gavin's paper, wheels built with 36 spokes of 2mm
>>> diameter should have an absolute radial stiffness of 4-5,000N/mm.
>>>
>>> Based on your measured deflection at mid-span of 20mm (consistent with
>>> the rough appearance of approximately 10 degree deflection), I
>>> calculate a rim deflection of around 2mm for a load of 100lb (~450N) x
>>> 2 spokes, or 450N/mm, or 10% of Gavin's claim. The spokes on that
>>> wheel should go completely slack when ridden.

>> No. The number you computed (450N/mm) corresponds to the radial
>> stiffness of the segment of the rim that is affected; it doesn't
>> include the stiffness of the spokes being squeezed. It is expected
>> to be much less than the effective radial rim stiffness.
>>

> Consider the triangle formed by the deflected (20mm) spoke. We know
> the length of the hypotenuse from the spoke elastic stretch, which for
> the "delta" load (~100lb or 450N) is about 0.5mm for a 2mm diameter
> spoke of 300mm length. So, from simple trig, we know the length of the
> other side, which is the original spoke path shortened by the rim
> deflection, which is roughly 149mm, so the rim deflection is twice
> that, or about 2mm.
>
> Both Brandt's book and Gavin's paper are in rough agreement predicting
> 0.1-0.15mm rim deflection with a 500N load. Carl's load is about twice
> that, so the maximum rim deflection should be ~0.3mm. Of course the
> load points are 20 degrees apart in Carl's case, but that indicates
> the wheel is even less stiff than these calculations suggest.

But the predictions (of Brandt and Gavin) include the spoke stiffness.
In Carl's model, the spokes being bent are applying the load, not
resisting it. They do not contribute to the stiffness in this
experiment.

Consider, for example, a tube being compressed by a bolt. The overall
stiffness of the structure to an externally applied load equals the
sum of the stiffnesses of the bolt and the tube. But for a given
(applied) tension in the bolt, the resulting compression of the tube
depends only upon the stiffness of the tube. The increased tension
that Carl is measuring (the combined 200lbf increase in both spokes)
corresponds to the applied tension in the bolt; the measured rim
deflection corresponds to the compression of the tube. The stiffness
reported by Brandt and Gavin corresponds to the sum of the stiffnesses
of the bolt and tube.

--
Joe Riel

Joe Riel writes:

>>> No. The number you computed (450N/mm) corresponds to the radial
>>> stiffness of the segment of the rim that is affected; it doesn't
>>> include the stiffness of the spokes being squeezed. It is
>>> expected to be much less than the effective radial rim stiffness.

>> Consider the triangle formed by the deflected (20mm) spoke. We know
>> the length of the hypotenuse from the spoke elastic stretch, which
>> for the "delta" load (~100lb or 450N) is about 0.5mm for a 2mm
>> diameter spoke of 300mm length. So, from simple trig, we know the
>> length of the other side, which is the original spoke path
>> shortened by the rim deflection, which is roughly 149mm, so the rim
>> deflection is twice that, or about 2mm.

>> Both Brandt's book and Gavin's paper are in rough agreement
>> predicting 0.1-0.15mm rim deflection with a 500N load. Carl's load
>> is about twice that, so the maximum rim deflection should be
>> ~0.3mm. Of course the load points are 20 degrees apart in Carl's
>> case, but that indicates the wheel is even less stiff than these
>> calculations suggest.

> But the predictions (of Brandt and Gavin) include the spoke
> stiffness. In Carl's model, the spokes being bent are applying the
> load, not resisting it. They do not contribute to the stiffness in
> this experiment.

> Consider, for example, a tube being compressed by a bolt. The
> overall stiffness of the structure to an externally applied load
> equals the sum of the stiffnesses of the bolt and the tube. But for
> a given (applied) tension in the bolt, the resulting compression of
> the tube depends only upon the stiffness of the tube. The increased
> tension that Carl is measuring (the combined 200lbf increase in both
> spokes) corresponds to the applied tension in the bolt; the measured
> rim deflection corresponds to the compression of the tube. The
> stiffness reported by Brandt and Gavin corresponds to the sum of the
> stiffnesses of the bolt and tube.

I still think this process to determine increased tension by manual
stress relieving is being made more complicated than it is. We have a
tensiometer and calipers so we can measure the initial spoke tension,
measure the deflection caused by the spoke deflection load which we
also know from the markings on the weights.

As suggested, we have the triangulation, the loads, and the
measurement means to accurately assess the before and after tension,
the goal of this project. Forget about what the rim does. It has no
bearing on the procedure I just outlined.

That tension substantially increases fr5om this process is borne out
by spokes that rupture or spoke nipples that fail while performing
manual stress relieving on used wheels.

Jobst Brandt

[email protected] writes:

> I still think this process to determine increased tension by manual
> stress relieving is being made more complicated than it is. We have a
> tensiometer and calipers so we can measure the initial spoke tension,
> measure the deflection caused by the spoke deflection load which we
> also know from the markings on the weights.
>
> As suggested, we have the triangulation, the loads, and the
> measurement means to accurately assess the before and after tension,
> the goal of this project. Forget about what the rim does. It has no
> bearing on the procedure I just outlined.

Agreed. If Carl's numbers are correct, then

T = F * l/d

where

F = squeezing force (100 lbf)
l = spoke length (270 mm)
d = deflection (20 mm)

which results in a spoke tension of

1350 lbf,

considerable higher than the value he measured using the tensiometer
(270 lbf). How do we resolve that discrepancy?

--
Joe Riel

Joe Riel wrote:
> Peter Cole <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Joe Riel wrote:

>>> No. The number you computed (450N/mm) corresponds to the radial
>>> stiffness of the segment of the rim that is affected; it doesn't
>>> include the stiffness of the spokes being squeezed. It is expected
>>> to be much less than the effective radial rim stiffness.
>>>

>> Consider the triangle formed by the deflected (20mm) spoke. We know
>> the length of the hypotenuse from the spoke elastic stretch, which for
>> the "delta" load (~100lb or 450N) is about 0.5mm for a 2mm diameter
>> spoke of 300mm length. So, from simple trig, we know the length of the
>> other side, which is the original spoke path shortened by the rim
>> deflection, which is roughly 149mm, so the rim deflection is twice
>> that, or about 2mm.
>>
>> Both Brandt's book and Gavin's paper are in rough agreement predicting
>> 0.1-0.15mm rim deflection with a 500N load. Carl's load is about twice
>> that, so the maximum rim deflection should be ~0.3mm. Of course the
>> load points are 20 degrees apart in Carl's case, but that indicates
>> the wheel is even less stiff than these calculations suggest.

> But the predictions (of Brandt and Gavin) include the spoke stiffness.
> In Carl's model, the spokes being bent are applying the load, not
> resisting it. They do not contribute to the stiffness in this
> experiment.
>
> Consider, for example, a tube being compressed by a bolt. The overall
> stiffness of the structure to an externally applied load equals the
> sum of the stiffnesses of the bolt and the tube. But for a given
> (applied) tension in the bolt, the resulting compression of the tube
> depends only upon the stiffness of the tube. The increased tension
> that Carl is measuring (the combined 200lbf increase in both spokes)
> corresponds to the applied tension in the bolt; the measured rim
> deflection corresponds to the compression of the tube. The stiffness
> reported by Brandt and Gavin corresponds to the sum of the stiffnesses
> of the bolt and tube.

I think your tube and bolt example is inappropriate.

We are looking at 2 spokes out of 36.

How does the rim know whether the spoke nipple is being pressed by spoke
tension or an external force? The only difference in force (between the
two scenarios) is at the hub flange.

Joe Riel wrote:
> [email protected] writes:
>
>> I still think this process to determine increased tension by manual
>> stress relieving is being made more complicated than it is. We have a
>> tensiometer and calipers so we can measure the initial spoke tension,
>> measure the deflection caused by the spoke deflection load which we
>> also know from the markings on the weights.
>>
>> As suggested, we have the triangulation, the loads, and the
>> measurement means to accurately assess the before and after tension,
>> the goal of this project. Forget about what the rim does. It has no
>> bearing on the procedure I just outlined.

> Agreed. If Carl's numbers are correct, then
>
> T = F * l/d
>
> where
>
> F = squeezing force (100 lbf)
> l = spoke length (270 mm)
> d = deflection (20 mm)
>
> which results in a spoke tension of
>
> 1350 lbf,
>
> considerable higher than the value he measured using the tensiometer
> (270 lbf). How do we resolve that discrepancy?

From the book, it's T = Fl/4d, so the tension computes to 337, which is
a good bit closer.

Peter Cole <[email protected]> writes:

> I think your tube and bolt example is inappropriate.
>
> We are looking at 2 spokes out of 36.

But those are precisely the two spokes where the load is being
applied. Are suggesting that the local deformation of the rim is not
affected by the absence of those spokes? I'm not claiming that that
explains the entire difference, see below. There is a theoretical
aspect as well as a practical measurement aspect. I'm confident in
the theory. The measurements, however, may have issues.

> How does the rim know whether the spoke nipple is being pressed by
> spoke tension or an external force? The only difference in force
> (between the two scenarios) is at the hub flange.

The scenarios are different. With the external load, the spokes
contribute to the radial stiffness. When the spokes are applying the
load, they don't. Imagine the same setup with a rim made of plastic
and the spokes thick cylinders of steel. Applying a radial load at
the rim (at a spoke) doesn't deflect the rim much because the spoke
takes the load. However, if you remove a section of one of the spokes
and the apply a tension between the two pieces, the rim will move
dramatically. That is, essentially, what squeezing the spokes does.

Note that, in Carl's experiment, there appears to be a large
discrepancy between the measured final tension of the spoke, using the
tensiometer, and the computed tension from the given load and
deflection. See my previous response to Brandt. That needs to be
resolved for us to determine the actual achieved tension.

--
Joe Riel

Peter Cole <[email protected]> writes:

> From the book, it's T = Fl/4d, so the tension computes to 337, which
> is a good bit closer.

You are correct, thanks.

I did F = 2*T/(l/2) and incorrectly canceled the 2's.

So we do have good numbers for the final tension.

--
Joe Riel

On Wed, 10 May 2006 08:52:56 -0400, Peter Cole
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>>
>> The obvious point of the graph is that on this particular
>> rim with spokes with these initial tensions, a hand-squeeze
>> of 100 pounds would raise the spoke tension about 100
>> pounds, averaged for the necessary two spokes, considerably
>> less than has often been predicted.
>>
>> This seems to confirm Joe Riel's point that rim stiffness
>> plays a major role in how high spoke-squeezing can raise
>> spoke tension.

>Something seems fishy.
>
>According to Gavin's paper, wheels built with 36 spokes of 2mm diameter
>should have an absolute radial stiffness of 4-5,000N/mm.
>
>Based on your measured deflection at mid-span of 20mm (consistent with
>the rough appearance of approximately 10 degree deflection), I calculate
>a rim deflection of around 2mm for a load of 100lb (~450N) x 2 spokes,
>or 450N/mm, or 10% of Gavin's claim. The spokes on that wheel should go
>completely slack when ridden.

Dear Peter,

I didn't notice the spokes going slack in about 30,000
miles. That is, I heard no rattling, though I suppose that
they might have come close. The Park spoke tension gauge
indicated that they were at about 85 and 65 kgf before any
weights were hung.

The 110 psi tire lowers the spoke tension noticeably. Dianne
found that 120 psi dropped her sample wheel's spoke tension
from 95 to 81 kgf:

http://www.geocities.com/dianne_1234/bikes/tension-inflation/tension-inflation.htm#Updated

But my rim could be unusually soft (as opposed to stiff,
whatever the proper term is). It's just a plain 36-spoke rim
on a 1998 Schwinn LeTour low-end touring bike, no eyelets,
no box-section.

(I don't think that there's any significant brake-surface
wear, despite the mileage, because my daily ride just
doesn't involve much braking--about five seconds to drop
from 35 mph to about 8 mph at the bottom of a hill to get
onto the path, about six seconds to stop from 20 mph at the
only traffic light, and then the stop at my garage door.)

The spokes are (I think) 294mm, but a little of that may be
lost to the spoke nipple.

The picture with shadows isn't good enough for precise
measuring, but my onscreen protractor suggests 16 degrees
for the lower spoke:

http://www.markus-bader.de/MB-Ruler/

I don't know how much 8 versus 10 degrees would affect
calculations.

Jobst has suggested testing a pair of spokes with carefully
matched tension. I'm wondering about using another rim and
higher initial tension and so forth, so please mention any
changes that you think might be interesting.

Of course, anyone with a tension gauge, some weights, some
rope, a ceiling, and a way to anchor a bike safely to a
workbench can test their own wheels.

A padded clamp can squeeze the opposite pair of spokes for a
rough check of the effect of imbalance.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> I don't know how much 8 versus 10 degrees would affect
> calculations.
>
> Jobst has suggested testing a pair of spokes with carefully
> matched tension. I'm wondering about using another rim and
> higher initial tension and so forth, so please mention any
> changes that you think might be interesting.
>
> Of course, anyone with a tension gauge, some weights, some
> rope, a ceiling, and a way to anchor a bike safely to a
> workbench can test their own wheels.
>
> A padded clamp can squeeze the opposite pair of spokes for a
> rough check of the effect of imbalance.

I don't understand why the tension applied to those two spokes is not
dispersed throughout the wheel. It seems like this whole thread treats
the hub as if it were somehow fixed, when it actually floats in the
middle of the wheel, suspended by all the spokes. It seems like
applying all that force to those two spokes should change the tension
to some degree in all the spokes on the wheel.

Peter Cole <[email protected]> writes:

> OK, but at 900N, of that 1.5mm, 1.0mm is spoke stretch, so your rim is
> more like 1800N/mm, Carl's seemed more like 500N/mm. I still think
> they're cheese.

You have a point. I foolishly neglected spoke stiffness in that
simple computation. Thanks for the correction. I don't compute quite
that much stretch:

dL = 4*L*F/(Pi*D^2*E)

with

L = length = 270 mm (assumed)
F = tension = 200 lbf (guessed)
D = diamter = 1.65 mm (measured)
E = elasticity of steel = 30 Mpsi

Rationalizing units I get

dL = 0.5 mm. So 1 mm is rim deflection.

--
Joe Riel

Someone writes:

>> I don't know how much 8 versus 10 degrees would affect
>> calculations.

>> Jobst has suggested testing a pair of spokes with carefully matched
>> tension. I'm wondering about using another rim and higher initial
>> tension and so forth, so please mention any changes that you think
>> might be interesting.

>> Of course, anyone with a tension gauge, some weights, some rope, a
>> ceiling, and a way to anchor a bike safely to a workbench can test
>> their own wheels.

>> A padded clamp can squeeze the opposite pair of spokes for a rough
>> check of the effect of imbalance.

> I don't understand why the tension applied to those two spokes is
> not dispersed throughout the wheel. It seems like this whole thread
> treats the hub as if it were somehow fixed, when it actually floats
> in the middle of the wheel, suspended by all the spokes. It seems
> like applying all that force to those two spokes should change the
> tension to some degree in all the spokes on the wheel.

Yes, it does that but I think the thrust of this experiment has gotten
lost. Let me try and isolate what I think has been tested from the
outset of this experiment.

Knowing the span (exposed length) of a spoke and its deflection for a
known force applied at midspan, we can assess its tension in the
deflected position. We can also readily measure spoke tension before
deflecting the spoke. In this way we can assess the over-stress that
is intended to cause high stress points spokes to yield.

When spokes yield at high tension (stretch permanently) they do so
only at the high stress points while the rest of the spoke is far from
yield, however, local spots (where spokes would otherwise fail in
fatigue) they yield and do not return to original length being relaxed
of that stress. A good example of this is that such a spoke, when
tensile tested does not break at the elbow or threads, but at some
place in mid span.

Typically, to assess tension at the height of a stress relief
deflection, one can assess the geometry of, (the Carl Fogel test) for
instance, a 100 lb lateral load deflecting a 300 mm long spoke 20 mm
at midspan, which results in a spoke tension of 757 lb. That tension
is significantly higher than at rest, which is usually around 200 lb
and will yield any high stress locations in a spoke.

[dimensions are approximate and rounded)

What seems most confusing about this is that spokes do not physically
stretch over their length but rather the rim gives inward. That does
not alter the relationship of the sides of the force triangle. It
could just as well be done between fixed anchors with a more elastic
spoke instead of a fixed length spoke between elastic anchors (the
rim). Spoke tension is derived from its midspan deflection by the
lateral force applied there.

Jobst Brandt

Joe Riel wrote:
> Peter Cole <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> OK, but at 900N, of that 1.5mm, 1.0mm is spoke stretch, so your rim is
>> more like 1800N/mm, Carl's seemed more like 500N/mm. I still think
>> they're cheese.

> You have a point. I foolishly neglected spoke stiffness in that
> simple computation. Thanks for the correction. I don't compute quite
> that much stretch:
>
> dL = 4*L*F/(Pi*D^2*E)
>
> with
>
> L = length = 270 mm (assumed)
> F = tension = 200 lbf (guessed)
> D = diamter = 1.65 mm (measured)
> E = elasticity of steel = 30 Mpsi
>
> Rationalizing units I get
>
> dL = 0.5 mm. So 1 mm is rim deflection.

I used the graphs in the back of Jobst's book. He shows 1mm @1kN for DT
& WS 1.8mm straight gauge spokes.

On 10 May 2006 23:37:34 GMT, [email protected]
wrote:

>Someone writes:
>
>>> I don't know how much 8 versus 10 degrees would affect
>>> calculations.

>>> Jobst has suggested testing a pair of spokes with carefully matched
>>> tension. I'm wondering about using another rim and higher initial
>>> tension and so forth, so please mention any changes that you think
>>> might be interesting.

>>> Of course, anyone with a tension gauge, some weights, some rope, a
>>> ceiling, and a way to anchor a bike safely to a workbench can test
>>> their own wheels.

>>> A padded clamp can squeeze the opposite pair of spokes for a rough
>>> check of the effect of imbalance.

>> I don't understand why the tension applied to those two spokes is
>> not dispersed throughout the wheel. It seems like this whole thread
>> treats the hub as if it were somehow fixed, when it actually floats
>> in the middle of the wheel, suspended by all the spokes. It seems
>> like applying all that force to those two spokes should change the
>> tension to some degree in all the spokes on the wheel.

>Yes, it does that but I think the thrust of this experiment has gotten
>lost. Let me try and isolate what I think has been tested from the
>outset of this experiment.
>
>Knowing the span (exposed length) of a spoke and its deflection for a
>known force applied at midspan, we can assess its tension in the
>deflected position. We can also readily measure spoke tension before
>deflecting the spoke. In this way we can assess the over-stress that
>is intended to cause high stress points spokes to yield.
>
>When spokes yield at high tension (stretch permanently) they do so
>only at the high stress points while the rest of the spoke is far from
>yield, however, local spots (where spokes would otherwise fail in
>fatigue) they yield and do not return to original length being relaxed
>of that stress. A good example of this is that such a spoke, when
>tensile tested does not break at the elbow or threads, but at some
>place in mid span.
>
>Typically, to assess tension at the height of a stress relief
>deflection, one can assess the geometry of, (the Carl Fogel test) for
>instance, a 100 lb lateral load deflecting a 300 mm long spoke 20 mm
>at midspan, which results in a spoke tension of 757 lb. That tension
>is significantly higher than at rest, which is usually around 200 lb
>and will yield any high stress locations in a spoke.
>
>[dimensions are approximate and rounded)
>
>What seems most confusing about this is that spokes do not physically
>stretch over their length but rather the rim gives inward. That does
>not alter the relationship of the sides of the force triangle. It
>could just as well be done between fixed anchors with a more elastic
>spoke instead of a fixed length spoke between elastic anchors (the
>rim). Spoke tension is derived from its midspan deflection by the
>lateral force applied there.
>
>Jobst Brandt

Dear Jobst,

"Typically, to assess tension at the height of a stress
relief deflection, one can assess the geometry of, (the Carl
Fogel test) for instance, a 100 lb lateral load deflecting a
300 mm long spoke 20 mm at midspan, which results in a spoke
tension of 757 lb."

???

Possibly I'm misunderstanding you, but whatever you're
trying to say could be read as saying that my test resulted
in a spoke tension of 757 pounds.

That's almost 500 pounds higher than what I measured.

The point of the experiment was to test the theoretical
prediction that Joe Riel had already cast doubt on by adding
rim stiffness--the geometric calculation that you mention
works only if the rim and hub fail to yield at all.

(They also require that the spoke rise to a high triangular
point, not the broader and lower curve of a hand-squeeze,
but that's another matter.)

Here's what I wrote describing the results of the second
experiment:

"Adding a 100-lb weight raised the upper/lower spoke tension
from 185/144 lbs to 263/273 lbs, only about 80 to 130
pounds."

These tensions were measured with a Park tension gauge.

The two spokes started with a tension of 185 and 144 pounds.

With a 100 lb weight hanging on a rope from the upper spoke
of a parallel horizontal pair and the lower spoke held up by
a ceiling rope, the two spokes rose to only about 270 pounds
of tension. Clamping the opposite pair of spokes made
scarcely any difference.

That's almost 500 pounds short of the 757 pound calculation.
Another way to look at it is that the 757 pound theoreticl
calculation is almost three times higher than the measured
result.

Possibly you didn't mean to give the impression that my test
agreed with the 757-pound calculation, but it's worth
emphasizing that my test basically showed that such
calculations that ignored rim stiffness grossly inflated the
tension rise by a factor of three in the single wheel tested
and that Joe Riel's calculations that included rim stiffness
were a much better model.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Wed, 10 May 2006 19:45:11 -0400, Peter Cole
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Joe Riel wrote:
>> Peter Cole <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>> OK, but at 900N, of that 1.5mm, 1.0mm is spoke stretch, so your rim is
>>> more like 1800N/mm, Carl's seemed more like 500N/mm. I still think
>>> they're cheese.

>> You have a point. I foolishly neglected spoke stiffness in that
>> simple computation. Thanks for the correction. I don't compute quite
>> that much stretch:
>>
>> dL = 4*L*F/(Pi*D^2*E)
>>
>> with
>>
>> L = length = 270 mm (assumed)
>> F = tension = 200 lbf (guessed)
>> D = diamter = 1.65 mm (measured)
>> E = elasticity of steel = 30 Mpsi
>>
>> Rationalizing units I get
>>
>> dL = 0.5 mm. So 1 mm is rim deflection.
>>

>I used the graphs in the back of Jobst's book. He shows 1mm @1kN for DT
>& WS 1.8mm straight gauge spokes.

Dear Joe and Peter,

I'm not really able to follow the equations, so maybe this
doesn't matter . . .

But just in case that the "1.8mm" isn't a typo and is
supposed to address the wheel that I tested, the spokes are
2.0mm straight stainless steel, not 1.8mm.

For such straight 2.0mm stainless steel spokes, both the
WheelSmith and DT spokes graphed in figure 68 of the 3rd
edition of Jobst's book does show about 1500 and 1400 N
force for 1mm of stretch.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:

> Typically, to assess tension at the height of a stress relief
> deflection, one can assess the geometry of, (the Carl Fogel test) for
> instance, a 100 lb lateral load deflecting a 300 mm long spoke 20 mm
> at midspan, which results in a spoke tension of 757 lb. That tension
> is significantly higher than at rest, which is usually around 200 lb
> and will yield any high stress locations in a spoke.
>
> [dimensions are approximate and rounded)

I think you need to recheck your calculations.

> What seems most confusing about this is that spokes do not physically
> stretch over their length but rather the rim gives inward.

Given the curves in your book, they do stretch significantly at these
loads, if they didn't, spokes would go slack every time the rim deflected.

Peter Cole wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Typically, to assess tension at the height of a stress relief
> > deflection, one can assess the geometry of, (the Carl Fogel test) for
> > instance, a 100 lb lateral load deflecting a 300 mm long spoke 20 mm
> > at midspan, which results in a spoke tension of 757 lb. That tension
> > is significantly higher than at rest, which is usually around 200 lb
> > and will yield any high stress locations in a spoke.
> >
> > [dimensions are approximate and rounded)

> I think you need to recheck your calculations.
>

> > What seems most confusing about this is that spokes do not physically
> > stretch over their length but rather the rim gives inward.

> Given the curves in your book, they do stretch significantly at these
> loads, if they didn't, spokes would go slack every time the rim deflected.

For Jobst's example above the calculated spoke tension is
(approximately and rounded to) 3300N. According to the curves in The
Bicycle Wheel (p125, 3rd ed) that's well over the ultimate strength of
the spoke!

Even half that load can be expected to cause 1.5mm of stretch.

I'd venture to suggest that theory is not in step with practice.

[email protected] wrote:

> Possibly you didn't mean to give the impression that my test
> agreed with the 757-pound calculation, but it's worth
> emphasizing that my test basically showed that such
> calculations that ignored rim stiffness grossly inflated the
> tension rise by a factor of three in the single wheel tested
> and that Joe Riel's calculations that included rim stiffness
> were a much better model.

Jobst made an error in his calculation. The formulas in his book agree
very well with your measurements.

The angle or the deflection, when combined with the amount of lateral
force determine the resultant tension. From the viewpoint of calculating
that number, it doesn't matter whether the stiffness is in the rim,
spoke or both, but in fact they both make a contribution. It's easy to
calculate the contribution of the spoke since the shapes are standard
and the stiffness well known. The stiffness of the rim is the wild card,
but being the only unknown, it's simple to find by elimination.