How much does your bike cost?



Mike1970

New Member
May 14, 2006
51
0
0
Mike_Rides_Red said:
I bought a Trek 1500 for $1000 a year ago and thought it was a high end bike until i went to my first race. Everyone had bikes $3000 plus and made my bike look low end to all these carbon Beauties. So how much is your bike?



I bought I Cervelo Soloist Centaur. I originally started out with a budget of $1000.00 to $1200.00. I was thinking Trek 1200. Then I did some reading about the hardware. Shimano and Campagnolo the pros and cons. Discovered it was a matter of personal feel. So I tried out a few different bikes at few different stores. After about a month of poking around I was down to three choice's Trek 1500, Argon 18 Plutonium, And Bianchi ML3. After finding and testing all three in the same day each ride lasting about 30 minutes. I had decided I liked the feel of the Campy gear better. This decision now knocked my price rage up a little too about $1800.00. Now on entering the store i noticed the Cervelo Solist on Sale from $2699.00 to $1995.00. $300.00 dollars more for a complete upgrade in hardware. So i asked to take it for a ride. I didnt make two blocks and I turned turned around told I'd take it. Sold for $2150.00 Canadian.

I love this bike. It climbs like a mountain goat. Right up the Niagara Escarpment. And flys right back down it!!!

Mike

Photo's
 

duhhuh

New Member
Apr 17, 2005
19
0
0
cam117 said:
$829. I went in to buy a Trek 1000 and walked out with the 1200. I love the bike, but I just can't help thinking that I'd love a Trek 1500 just that much more if I'd ponied up the extra cash.

Maybe I'll take the extra money and go put it twoard a bike for my wife so she can come along with me when I ride.

Nah - I think I'll buy some race wheels. :cool:
I went in to buy a Trek 1000 and ended up with a 1500, a Trek helmet and a Wrench Force pump for $995. Great bike shop and the people there are the best. Love my 1500 with the Ultegra rear and 105 front. Shifts are crisp and clean and the triple helps an old man like me climb the hills in WV.
 

duhhuh

New Member
Apr 17, 2005
19
0
0
cam117 said:
$829. I went in to buy a Trek 1000 and walked out with the 1200. I love the bike, but I just can't help thinking that I'd love a Trek 1500 just that much more if I'd ponied up the extra cash.

Maybe I'll take the extra money and go put it twoard a bike for my wife so she can come along with me when I ride.

Nah - I think I'll buy some race wheels. :cool:
I went in to buy a Trek 1000 and ended up with a 1500, a Trek helmet and a Wrench Force pump for $995. Great bike shop and the people there are the best. Love my 1500 with the Ultegra rear and 105 front. Shifts are crisp and clean and the triple helps an old man like me climb the hills in WV.
 

e0richt

New Member
Jul 10, 2006
367
0
0
duhhuh said:
I went in to buy a Trek 1000 and ended up with a 1500, a Trek helmet and a Wrench Force pump for $995. Great bike shop and the people there are the best. Love my 1500 with the Ultegra rear and 105 front. Shifts are crisp and clean and the triple helps an old man like me climb the hills in WV.
Dawes Lightning Sport which cost me 209.00
and 39.00 shipping.

I have had it for 1 month and have put 125 miles on it...
 

brad g

New Member
Jul 22, 2006
90
2
0
47
$470 with taxes. Trek 7.2FX fitness hybrid. I've put about 500 miles on it so far, had if for a little more than 3 weeks. It rides well enough, but I tested a Specialized Allez while shopping, and I can't get that test ride outta my head, it was awesome.
 

Pennstate

New Member
Aug 12, 2006
21
0
0
My bike (Trek 1500) cost $990 USD. I guess this is entry level, but it seemed like a lot of money.


This is about the same amount as my montly car payment + gas + insurance.

I guess it's all about what you want to spend your money on....

Fred
 

bluemarlinchef2

New Member
Aug 12, 2006
31
2
0
I got lucky!


I bought a 2006 Trek 7.6FX for $550!

Here is my story on how I got my bike.

A little over a month ago I decided to start riding to regain my health (I've been battling Severe Ulcerative Colitis). So I went to my local bike shop to purchase a hybrid Trek bike (a 7.2FX to be exact). I bought the bike for about $400.
I was happy with it and used it for about 1 week.

For some reason, while I was browsing eBay for things I decided to search for some of the higher priced Trek bikes. I really like the FX series for the kind of riding I do so I looked for one of those.

I found one! It was the 2006 7.6FX in red. The starting bid was $600 and it had no bids at that time. Plus shipping was about $60.

I did not believe it when I saw it but the location of the bike was in....You guessed it! Where I live. In Las Vegas. And to top it off, it was literally less than 2 miles from my house!

What are the chances?! Seriously.

So I emailed the seller and recieved a phone call later that day. I told her that I wanted the bike and was willing to pay her $550 immediately. She agreed to sell it to me. Of course, I had the problem of returning the bike I just purchased which was not a problem at all...thanks to the return policy at the bike shop! I had 14 days to return it. I found the bike on the 13th day! I swear!

The seller agreed to stop the auction once I returned my bike. After I did, I met her with cash in hand and bought the basically NEW bike from her!

The bike had just 50 miles on it and was spotless!

I am totally happy with it and can now do some more agressive riding.

With my heart monitor on and a cycling computer, I am good to go!

Was this fate or what?

I thought some of you might get a kick out of this story.

Happy Ridin' :D
 

OoAmericanGirl

New Member
Aug 2, 2006
98
0
0
40
The bike shop that I bought my felt from gave me a great deal, I pait 1,750 for the bike with a women's fit kit added.

I spent years riding a 2001 trek 1000 and it didn't bother me much, it didn't fit me very well but I didn't notice. I was still fast with it, I would pass people on expensive biks all the time.
 

RickF

New Member
Jul 27, 2005
646
0
0
70
I just replaced my $475 2004 Specialized Crossroads Elite with a 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite. The price out the door (including Shimano 520 pedals, two bottle cages, a spare tube, and North Carolina sales tax) was $2059.
 

Bro Deal

New Member
Jun 26, 2006
6,698
4
0
I guess I can't vote in the poll. My MOOTS in its current configuration comes in between $6 - 7K USD. I am not really sure of the exact dollar figure. I change stuff around a lot.
 

achu717

New Member
Jul 26, 2006
13
0
0
just bot a Bianchi Strada flatbar fitness bike for $735.00 (msrp $799.00). After test rode a few bikes (REI Novarra, Cannondale, Marin, K2). I had rode it for 1 month now (one hour x 6 days). I am amazed with how fast my big gut is becoming smaller each week gone by as I ride. I am new to cycling and I love the sport. I will reward myself with an all carbon and campy bike after 50 lbs lighter (under 200 lbs mark). Ride what you like and buy what you desire. good bikes and cheap bikes are made to satisfy each individual's desires.
 

e0richt

New Member
Jul 10, 2006
367
0
0
bluemarlinchef2 said:
I got lucky!


I bought a 2006 Trek 7.6FX for $550!

Here is my story on how I got my bike.

A little over a month ago I decided to start riding to regain my health (I've been battling Severe Ulcerative Colitis). So I went to my local bike shop to purchase a hybrid Trek bike (a 7.2FX to be exact). I bought the bike for about $400.
I was happy with it and used it for about 1 week.

For some reason, while I was browsing eBay for things I decided to search for some of the higher priced Trek bikes. I really like the FX series for the kind of riding I do so I looked for one of those.

I found one! It was the 2006 7.6FX in red. The starting bid was $600 and it had no bids at that time. Plus shipping was about $60.

I did not believe it when I saw it but the location of the bike was in....You guessed it! Where I live. In Las Vegas. And to top it off, it was literally less than 2 miles from my house!

What are the chances?! Seriously.

So I emailed the seller and recieved a phone call later that day. I told her that I wanted the bike and was willing to pay her $550 immediately. She agreed to sell it to me. Of course, I had the problem of returning the bike I just purchased which was not a problem at all...thanks to the return policy at the bike shop! I had 14 days to return it. I found the bike on the 13th day! I swear!

The seller agreed to stop the auction once I returned my bike. After I did, I met her with cash in hand and bought the basically NEW bike from her!

The bike had just 50 miles on it and was spotless!

I am totally happy with it and can now do some more agressive riding.

With my heart monitor on and a cycling computer, I am good to go!

Was this fate or what?

I thought some of you might get a kick out of this story.

Happy Ridin' :D
wow, thats pretty lucky! (said enviously... :( ) I have never found a deal like that...
 

Inukshuk

New Member
May 8, 2006
21
0
0
This is an update to my previous thread. I went and purchased a Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo with Serfas RX saddle, NitroPro Gas Suspension Seatpost, Polar CS100 computer, Camelback Water Pack, Topeak lights and pump, Maxxis DH tubes, Panaracer Fire DH Pro tires, Giro helmet, Primal wear clothing Repair kit with pouch installed behind my saddle Mechanix wear M-Pact gloves, and put on Yeti Soft grips. So far it's all added up to over $3,000.oo and I just love it. The Longest outing so far was 4hrs 40 min.off-road Ya Hoo :):D
 

e0richt

New Member
Jul 10, 2006
367
0
0
Inukshuk said:
This is an update to my previous thread. I went and purchased a Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo with Serfas RX saddle, NitroPro Gas Suspension Seatpost, Polar CS100 computer, Camelback Water Pack, Topeak lights and pump, Maxxis DH tubes, Panaracer Fire DH Pro tires, Giro helmet, Primal wear clothing Repair kit with pouch installed behind my saddle Mechanix wear M-Pact gloves, and put on Yeti Soft grips. So far it's all added up to over $3,000.oo and I just love it. The Longest outing so far was 4hrs 40 min.off-road Ya Hoo :):D
update to my previous post...( or more details...)

Brand new 2006 Dawes Lightning sport road bike:

full chrome-moly Dura-Forte frame and fork
Alex aluminum rims
Shimano 2200 14 speed derailer
indexed stem shifters (old tech but works well...)
Maxxis Xephyrs 130 PSI 700c tires
quick release front and rear aluminum alloy hubs
Shimano aluminum crank
Aluminum alloy pedals (includes toe clips)
Aluminum stem
Aluminum handlebar
Aluminum seatpost
Pro Max aluminum side pull brakes and levers
velo road bike seat.

I have now put on 141 miles on it and I love the bike... no problems...

oh and even though the seat was ok, I did change it out for one I had at
home that was a bit more comfortable...

total cost:
209 - bike
39 - shipping
15 - stem extender.
20 - derailer adjustment (because I goofed it up...)
----------
283 - total cost put into the bike...
 

Darkhorse85

New Member
Mar 23, 2006
31
0
0
i spent 775 after tax on my '05 Jamis Ventura Sport with upgraded wheels and components about a week ago. it came with pedals too, but theyre kinda crappy one-sided clipless.

im not sure if i got a good deal or not.
 

e0richt

New Member
Jul 10, 2006
367
0
0
Darkhorse85 said:
i spent 775 after tax on my '05 Jamis Ventura Sport with upgraded wheels and components about a week ago. it came with pedals too, but theyre kinda crappy clipless.

im not sure if i got a good deal or not.
depends on how well the bike rides. I didn't try out the more expensive models of bikes because I couldn't afford them. I wanted something similar to what I had purchased from k-mart about 20 years ago for about 90.00...

and I got a good deal, instead of the heavy steel frame I had, I have the chrome-moly frame. Instead of friction stem shifters, I have indexed. instead of dept store 26'' wheels, I have the much lighter 700c wheels...

for my level of riding (re-started this season...) it is much more spritely than the hybrid I had been riding (and it cost less than the hybrid...)
 

JohnO

New Member
Jul 5, 2003
1,495
0
0
The cost of mine, started building it back in 2002:

New/never built Trek Y-Foil CF frameset: $600
Campy Chorus 10spd group (new, cbike.com): $900
Chorus pro-fit pedals (new, branford bike) $120
Campy Record seatpost (new, branford bike) $100
Aliante saddle (new, ebay) $150
Cinelli RAM bars (used, ebay) $200
Zipp 404 wheelset (used, ebay) $650
Campy Zonda wheelset (new cbike.com) $350
Cateye CDW300 (new, ebay) $100

What will happen to me if my wife ever finds out I spent that much: priceless
 

genedoc

New Member
Aug 15, 2006
63
0
0
I just bought my '05 Fuji Team issue full DA on close out from Performance for ~$2500 (from a MSRP of ~$3600). The comparably priced Felt and Scattante's were not full DA but would have been wonderful bikes if this hadn't been on sale - the Fuji also weighted over a pound less than the other two). I can say I would not have spent more than ~$2700 for a bike at this point in my return to road riding, but I have no problem understanding how anyone, even non "pro racers", can justify the greater expense for something that clearly means so much to many riders. To be frank, at a certain point in many people's careers, the difference between $2,000 and $6,000 is really not a big deal. For many, this is not an issue of giving up food for a few months or having to "save up" for years - it's a fairly modest disposable income priority issue. Its no different than stereos, golf clubs, etc. If you take food form your kids to buy more than you needs -that's a problem. If you're enjoying life - good for you?

After reading through the thread, I find it sad that people feel the need to denigrate other cyclist they see riding around in team jerseys and/or high dollar bikes. The judgementalism on this forum is shameful and the only sad note of my return to cycling. I have nothing but respect for everyone that has a passion for cycling who actually ride their bikes regardless of their waist size or disposable incomes, or fashion sense. If there's people to denigrate it's not our fellow cycling enthusiast, it's the true posers that buy high end bikes and clothes AND NEVER RIDE THEM. Of course, we don't see those people and they don't post on forums like this, but as an ex bike store manager I can tell you there are plenty. Back in the early 80's I worked at a bike shop in Boulder Colorado and sold one of three ever built gold plated Colnagos to a drug dealer from Aspen who paid cash in small unmarked bills from a briefcase he retrieved from his brand new Camaro he had also just paid cash (in $20's) for. He even told me he had no intention of actually ever riding it. He didn't even want to be fitted for the bike. It was simply the most expensive bike he could find ($2,500 by the way) and he just wanted his friends to think he was an ultra cool cyclist. (BTW, one of the other three was given to the Pope and the third, I believe went to Eddy M. - though I'm not sure about the latter).

Buy what you can afford, wear what pleases you, stop judging others, say hello to other cyclists on the road - especially those with extra burden of having to haul around a few extra pounds, and just enjoy riding.