How much does your bike cost?

RaleighRider said:
The point of the post is the price of the bike. I'm not sure but I think the components are related to the price. So I'm not the one that brought it up.

I simply responded. If you want to know who cares talk to the thread starter. I guess he’s pathetic too for caring.

I responded to a question.

I really like the fact that me thinking YOU are pathetic makes me pathetic.

You’re very original.

My post was very simple. I care about rider ability (specifically my ability) not components. But I guess that point went over your head.

But if you really think I care about your DA stuff which obviously makes you feeeel good or you would not have them, that’s fine.

To sum up one more time: to be hung up on the components instead of the ride is to miss the true picture. And that is pathetic.

And if you don't like my opinion tough S H I T.

Enjoy your jewelry, stare at it often.

I’ll be out riding. Like right now!

;)

The day you can catch me and take me off my bike and keep me off it you will have made your point until then shut up litttle boy!!!

I wasa spending more time repairing a 70's Varsity, than riding it, so I bought a Cannondale r800, and now I ride more than repair. Still wash my baby, but ride we do!

I just upgraded my TCR aluminum to a c/f frameset, so it's now around $4500 (this is including past upgrades like wheelset, seatpost, tires, saddle, etc).

jhuskey said:
The day you can catch me and take me off my bike and keep me off it you will have made your point until then shut up litttle boy!!!
30 Seconds back on the forum, time to ride again. But you keep admiring your ride. By the way, you couldn't shut me up on you best day "LITTLE GIRL". Or did you grow into a women by now? In other words are you menstrating yet,
GIRLY.;)

TIME TO RIDE.

RaleighRider said:
30 Seconds back on the forum, time to ride again. But you keep admiring your ride. By the way, you couldn't shut me up on you best day "LITTLE GIRL". Or did you grow into a women by now? In other words are you menstrating yet,
GIRLY.;)

TIME TO RIDE.

I don't want to shut you up. I just don't have time for your childish ****. I got over debates like this 20 years ago.There is another guy out there with 105 who will say you spent too much on what you bought, or still using Suntour with Rigida rims, why change? Who made you lord of the universe and all knowing sage.I have probably been riding longer than you have been alive. I am an American and buy what I want ,when I want. I got cash and don't need daddy to buy it for me. RANT on I done with you.

People often say, when they hear how much I paid for my bike.."you could buy a car for that much!"

Well I don't know about the rest of you, but I wouldn't waste my money like that! But then, I don't drive.

Personally, the price of my bike is what keeps me from being a fatass on the couch. One look at the bike that I spent two years saving for is usually enough to guilt me into getting on it on those days I don't think I want to. Now that I've lost 20 pounds and have stopped smoking, I consider my bike priceless. For as good as I feel now, I would have paid triple what it cost me. Incidentally, it's a TREK 5500 with full Dura Ace, Campy post, Ksyrium wheels, Look CX6 pedals with Easton bars/Ritchey stem and a sweet Vetta V100HR computer. Painted beautifully in all black. Total cost was just under $4K.

As of this writing, I have 4,464 miles logged this year. What's that worth?

Nice bike..good post.

My next one will cost me about $A5000.00 I think. I start saving now. Currently I have nought, so it can only get better.

But as of now I have a new frame and mixture of old and new parts..about $A2500.00. Very nice.

As said earlier above somewhere, any bike is good to ride, even my heavy, ancient one!

ALOT, all three of them. . . Look KG486 (Chorus) Ksyrium SL wheels, Sintesi Nyx (Centaur) Ksyrium wheels and Sintesi Moab (XT) Crossmax wheels.

Someone said it's not about the bike, it's about the ride. . . Well my rides are all pretty sweet, whether I am out on a coffee shop ride, or hanging on the end of a bunch suffering or trying my luck at a breakway.

I have a **** car though. . .

I have expensive bikes and I am not a pro, so therefore I must be pathetic.

My take on the debate above is if you can afford the top of the range, buy it. Who cares if you have a pro-level bike and you're just starting out or are a recreational rider. Just coz you own a Ferrari doesn't mean you have to be Michael Schumaker.

The only people who seem to criticize guys with top range equipment are guys who have never ridden one of these beauties. The pleasure of riding such an awesome piece of equipment is not something anyone can explain to you. It's a bit like trying to tell a non-cyclist why you wake up at 4am to go training.

Ratty said:
ALOT, all three of them. . . Look KG486 (Chorus) Ksyrium SL wheels, Sintesi Nyx (Centaur) Ksyrium wheels and Sintesi Moab (XT) Crossmax wheels.

Someone said it's not about the bike, it's about the ride. . . Well my rides are all pretty sweet, whether I am out on a coffee shop ride, or hanging on the end of a bunch suffering or trying my luck at a breakway.

I have a **** car though. . .

I have expensive bikes and I am not a pro, so therefore I must be pathetic.

My take on the debate above is if you can afford the top of the range, buy it. Who cares if you have a pro-level bike and you're just starting out or are a recreational rider. Just coz you own a Ferrari doesn't mean you have to be Michael Schumaker.

The only people who seem to criticize guys with top range equipment are guys who have never ridden one of these beauties. The pleasure of riding such an awesome piece of equipment is not something anyone can explain to you. It's a bit like trying to tell a non-cyclist why you wake up at 4am to go training.

We relate,I have a Look Kg 261 with all the good stuff except I want to get a better computer with altimeter on it. Its not the bike that makes me better than some people. It is my attitude on life. I am out there 4 times a week and would be more but somebody has to pay the bills. I am not new to this I have been on and off the bike for years.
I have had very little handed to me for free in life, but a lot taken away. I guess thats why I am sensitive about some things and don't take critique very well ,but remain humble in my abilities. I hope I am still out there sweating on the bike at 75. (Livestrong Live long & kickass).

04 Cannondale R1000: $1800.00 and worth every penny
Trek 850: Dad gave it to me but I've dumped about $300 at it
Next 24: $60.00 Wal-Mart Clearance bought it to beat it, full suspension,
al frame, took it to the mountains and was amazed.
Dyno Detour: The only bike that hasn't costed me a dime (Santa brought it)
it did however cost me a broken arm when I was 16

Cruzzer08 said:
04 Cannondale R1000: $1800.00 and worth every penny
Trek 850: Dad gave it to me but I've dumped about $300 at it
Next 24: $60.00 Wal-Mart Clearance bought it to beat it, full suspension,
al frame, took it to the mountains and was amazed.
Dyno Detour: The only bike that hasn't costed me a dime (Santa brought it)
it did however cost me a broken arm when I was 16
Cheapie $A850 Specialized Hardrock Sport...Intend to get a better ride soon...

I just got into the sport several months ago. I did a lot of research online and ended up purchasing a Scattante R550 from Supergo.com. It was $699 and came with an aero frame and 105 components. So far its been great (but i have nothing to compare it to).

About $50. I'm riding a CCM Capri that I found in the park across the street from my house. A little bit of elbow grease, and some new cables and tires, and it runs smoothly. Just took it out for a 100 km ride this morning. No complaints, looks cool, fun to ride.

I put about $1000 into my mountain bike. Also very fun to ride.

"A mint condition 1970s silver Sekai Sprint 1000"

Hehe, I bought a 1978 dark blue (or so the receipt claims!) Sekai Sprint 1000 for $2.50 at a garage sale. Wheels were a bit out of whack, brakes needed some work, and the bar's original bar tape is floundering! Took her in for a $40 tune-up and she came out worse than before - so I put some work into her and she rides like an old station wagon :) Broken down ****, but you have to love it.

btw, the retail on it in '78 was 180ish retail and 145ish on sale

My road bike is a Miata 312. I bought it used for $185 back in the early nineties. I've added a few things to it, like Shimano Clipless pedals, an Scott Aero(sp?) Bar and had to replace my rear derailer. I'm not a competition rider so I have no reason for purchasing a new bike. The 312 suits me fine, although I'm looking into upgrading from 12speed to either an 18 or 21 speed.

Bought my first real bike a couple weeks ago. Was 300 bucks, a 1997 Bianchi volpe. Came with a pretty nice cyclocomputer, clipless pedals and shoes, touring bags/racks, and a bike rack for the car! pretty good deal if you ask me, though it could use some new brakes.

Which one? I've got a Litespeed Blue Ridge for long rides, a Gary Fisher Tassajara for when I want to play, a '93 Schwinn Traveler for days the weather is not so nice and a Cannondale road tandem for when I want company. And when others ask, why do you need so many bikes, I just look at them like they just asked why the sky is blue......

Regarding some of the discussion of bikes as jewelry:

It's true that we don't need to have expensive bikes or parts to enjoy cycling. Cycling in the US is mostly a recreational activity, while in many other parts of the world it is a necessary means of transportation (which I think is great). However, since it is a recreational sport, people have fun with their equipment. Just like people who ride Harleys or one-off custom choppers like to have fun with customizing their rides, people with bikes like to have fun too. In a recreational sport, they essentially ARE jewelry. Look at custom builders like Llewellyn - the bikes really are made to be a piece of functional jewelry - and of course a whole lot more than that as well. I think if people want to spend money on expensive parts, and they get some enjoyment out of the technical aspects of a bike's design, then great - I for one love a well engineered anything. To consider bike jewelry (and I really like that term - its quite apt) disdainful is to deny that there is anything artistic in the form of a bike. I believe that bicycles are quite beautiful - from patched together single speeds with attitude, to a masterfully crafted Colnago with high end components on it.

To consider that the price or parts on a bike is the ONLY thing that matters, would be laughable. If someone were to take that attitude they probably would be considered a real ****. I don't see that as the attitude that anyone here has however.

I actualy found mine in the street. Not stolen! It was near a garbage bin. A great Pinarello, not sure of the model but apearantly it was was in West Germany! :D