How much does your bike cost?

About 5 times what my car is worth. Mind you, that says more about my car than my bike.

:)

it was about 400 dollars maybe 500, i had to borrow money and my boyfriend helped pay, i want a road bike but i have less money now than i did three years ago

Got 2 bikes, one which i picked up for £50($90, i think). 20yrs old. Makes a brilliant training bike, mudgaurds, lights etc.

My other bike which a sponsor paid for half and i paid the other half is worth about £2000($3500). That bike is used for racing and selected training sessions.

I have a TT bike on the way from a sponsor, hence my other post, i don't know what to choose.

But i am a firm belivier in it doesn't matter the price of the bike it is the legs that pedal it. It is said the Eddy Mercx could have won the TdF even on a shopping bike!!
Anyone i think that goes straight into the sport buying an expensive bike is an idiot. It shows little respect for those who have had to work their way to where they are now.
From reading the posts on this topic everyone seems pretty sensible.

Remember its not the bike its the legs

wardie2000 said:
Got 2 bikes, one which i picked up for £50($90, i think). 20yrs old. Makes a brilliant training bike, mudgaurds, lights etc.

My other bike which a sponsor paid for half and i paid the other half is worth about £2000($3500). That bike is used for racing and selected training sessions.

I have a TT bike on the way from a sponsor, hence my other post, i don't know what to choose.

But i am a firm belivier in it doesn't matter the price of the bike it is the legs that pedal it. It is said the Eddy Mercx could have won the TdF even on a shopping bike!!
Anyone i think that goes straight into the sport buying an expensive bike is an idiot. It shows little respect for those who have had to work their way to where they are now.
From reading the posts on this topic everyone seems pretty sensible.

Remember its not the bike its the legs
LOL! Guess I'm and idiot! Thanks for the compliment! <smirk> Don't forget SOME of us are somewhat familiar with the sport and enjoyed many good years racing before getting side track with RL issues. Now at 47, I see no reason to buy a bike LESS capable than my old circa 1974 Colnago racing bike and with the difficulty in getting parts let alone decent parts, it only made sense to step up and get a new one. Sure I could have bought something less than my Trek 5500, but then I would have just bought another in a year if I did.

Signed,

"the idiot" *smile*

Mike_Rides_Red said:
I bought a Trek 1500 for $1000 a year ago and thought it was a high end bike until i went to my first race. Everyone had bikes $3000 plus and made my bike look low end to all these carbon Beauties. So how much is your bike?
Don't worry about the price, at a recent race the winner was riding a $350 bike, and he smoked the guy on the $5000 all-carbon Dura-Ace Trek in the final sprint.

joule said:
LOL! Guess I'm and idiot! Thanks for the compliment! <smirk> Don't forget SOME of us are somewhat familiar with the sport and enjoyed many good years racing before getting side track with RL issues. Now at 47, I see no reason to buy a bike LESS capable than my old circa 1974 Colnago racing bike and with the difficulty in getting parts let alone decent parts, it only made sense to step up and get a new one. Sure I could have bought something less than my Trek 5500, but then I would have just bought another in a year if I did.

Signed,

"the idiot" *smile*

Sorry for any offenence i may have caused. What i was meaning is that people who have seen the sport on TV and want to have a go. So they go to the shop and buy the most expensive bike in the shop, even if it isn't the most ideal for what they need it for.
You said that you have raced before, so at least you know that you like the sport and are not paying huge amounts of money to look the best.

I bought my Gitane for arround 1300$! It was good offer for alu bike with Ultegra equipment because after season sales!

I'll never own a Ferrari, but I *can* afford a high-end bicycle, so why not? Sure, any 25 year old racer can smoke me, but I'm not in it to race, I'm in it to ride, and to enjoy every ride with the best and most reliable equipment possible.

Plus, I appreciate fine craftsmenship, and the welds on my Litespeed (made in the US) are like works of art to me, and knowing that the person who welded them lives about 100 miles away, and I could probably meet him or her if I wanted to, makes me feel more connected to the bike.

I bought my Vortex used, for $2800, about half the cost of a new one. Saved a lot of money driving the same used Honda for 10 years, decided to splurge. It won't rust, and unless I crash it, it will probably outlive me. Not many material possessions you can say that about, especially ones you use every day.

TheDL said:
Hahahaha....my bike is circa 1988. Minus accessories it cost about $470. Bought it used and upgraded some stuff, Shimano 600/Ultegra and I still stare at it!
I bought a used Bianche Reparto Corsa ALuminum XL (Mercatone uno/Pantani style) Fit it with Campy Centaur used 30 year old Campy brakes ect. I have cheap wheels on it from ebay. I think I have spent less than 1100.

I just bought a 2004 BigHit Comp :D :D since it was the 2004 model I got it for $1400 instead of $2000

and Im testing my signature, can you see it :confused: ?

0$ :p :D

Cheap old Schwinn that runs buttery smooth even after 10 years with no replacement parts (minus tubes and tires). :cool:

1* 4600 euro road bike - Wilier
1* 700 euro road bike - LaPierre
1 * 550 pounds sterling MTB - Marin
1* 2200 Aus $ road bike - Giant

I move around a lot and find I cant move things with me all the time, so have to buy new bikes... unfortunatley my best bike is in storage atm which is a big downer, but the last on the list there (a Giant OCR zero 2005) is a great bike. It's just not as nice as the Wilier...

I dont care how much a bike costs as long as it works.

Good Performance can compensate for inferior gear

The best gear cannot compensate for poor performance

I bought a Trek 1500 (2005) in July and love it. I paid about $1100, not including all the extra gear I just had to have! I was riding a circa 1986 10 speed for about a month and finally broke down and coughed up the cash for a new ride. WOW, what a difference too. Nothing like switching from a bike that weighs 35+ pounds to a 20+ pound bike! Hey, anyone interested in a 1986 10 speed?! :)

Kurt

..my bike, for a non enthusiast, has been called waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to expensive(AUD7500). I saved my ass off for it. Yeah, campy record was expensive. At my level, ultegra would easily suffice.

The amount of enjoyment I get riding the little baby is priceless, especially considering how hard I worked to get it. I ride it every day. I clean it every other. I haven't used my car now in five weeks.......

My Rivendell Atlantis has appx. $2400.00 wrapped up in its build.

The wifes Rivendell Atlantis comes in around $1950.00.

My new custom which is still being finished up will come in around $3100.00 to $3400.00 when she's complete.

All in all not bad in my opinion for 3 cycles that will easily outlast my wife and me, take us around the world (two of them not all three!) and offer years of untold enjoyment.

PS. Once completed they cost virtually zero in upkeep, have great resale value and don't pollute!! ;)

I'm new to the forum. I guess I'd be classified as a 'fitness' type rider. I've been in a bike club for 20 years, and up until a few years ago had never raced. I still don't consider my self a racer, but I do like to push myself. I got my first sub-5 century in '02, and last year's best century was 4:20 (one-way route with a 6-10 mph headwind.)

I have two main rides. The first was bought in '97 for $1600, and my newest one was bought in '01 for $2400. Componentry is a mix of 105/Ultegra/XT, with Velocity wheels. Nuttin' fancy, just stuff that works well.

This past year I've bought 2 new bikes and spent some money to patch up an old one. I've also bought replacement and spare parts and training wheels for cheap on ebay or via Nashbar or Supergo when they have had specials. Ebay has been an excellent resource for me. Except for the Specialized Sequoia I haven't paid close to full price for any of this stuff. I don't just enjoy riding the bikes ... I also enjoy putzing around with the machanics of them.

Bike #1, 2003 Raleigh M60 MTB
Cost: $325 shipped on ebay fall of '03
(Old parts will be used to upgrade the '93 GT Corrado below)
Installed Upgrades (not included in cost above):
* 1 new Specialized BG Telluride saddle
* 1 Panoram cyclometer
* 1 new UN-73 68 x 113 bottom bracket (the original POS Chinhaur got tossed!) :rolleyes:
* 1 new set of Deore Hollowtech cranks
* 1 new pair SPD-M515 clipless pedals
* 1 new pair Profile bar ends
* Replaced the chain at 1,000 miles
Not Yet Installed Upgrades (not included in cost above):
* New set of handlebars with higher rise and more sweep
* New set of Deore LX shift/brake lever combo pods with cables
* New set of Deore LX hubs laced to SUN BFM rims (heavy duty!)
* 1 new UN-73 68 x 113 bottom bracket (backup)
* 2 new Deore HG-50 11/32 cassettes
* 2 new pair of handlebar grips
* Several new tires and tubes
* New pair of brake cables

Bike #2, 2004 Specialized Sequoia Elite Road Bike
Cost: $1,165 after tax at LBS in fall of '03
* 1 new Selle Italia Onda saddle
* 1 Panoram cyclometer
* 1 pair Shimano Ultegra hubs laced to Mavic Open Pro rims
* 1 pair of Kenda Kwest training tires
* 2 Ultegra 12/21 cassettes (backup)
* a few extra tubes

Bike #3, 1993 GT Corrado MTB
Cost: $525 without sales tax from LBS back in summer '94
* 1 '02 Specialized BG Comp saddle
* New pair of handlebar grips
* New Shimano RM-40 hub laced to generic rim
* New rear tire & tube
* Chain from M60 MTB
* Peddals from M60 MTB
* New cassette
* 2 new pair Ritchey Red canti brake pads
(Old parts will be trickled down from the '03 Raleigh M60 as it is upgraded)