How much does your bike cost?

Serbian_SPIRIT said:
I buy Klein hard-tail for about 2000$ with full XT.

$34.99 Centurion Signet at thrift shop
$25 chain
$50 tires/tubes/seat

still on the shopping list
fenders
hokeyspokes (I do a lot of pre-sunrise commuting)
a decent front light
a rack to carry my stuff on

so about $200 in all for a fun little bike that I don't have to be paranoid about losing, handles like a champ on wet roads and makes me feel like a real cyclist.

going to buy a new road bike sonn when I can afford it but this one's a great little townie

I enjoyed my $400 (bought in 1988) trek elance for years before it was stolen. It was a reynolds 531 frame with a few ultegra parts. Nothing fancy. Great ride. ALways kept it in top top shape. Heartbroken when it was gone.

Spent a few years with a converted jamis cyclocross (about $800 of insurance money) It was kind of murder to ride. Who knows whether its the bike nearing the end of its life expectancy or my less than totally meticulous care. I still commute on it, but fast it is not.

But the dream for nearly two decades has been a "nice" racing bike. So that's what I did. My wilier is something of a one up in the US (or so I keep hearing). The final cost was like $3600. The ride is perfect for me (I did my research during all the years of wanting.) But with the bike came an unbelievable desire to ride (pent up for all these years). I'm out there nearly every day - rain, shine, whatever. I now ride with a local team, and next season hope to begin racing.

My wife points out that she much rather have me spend a few thousand on something that keeps me fit than a fraction of that on a TV, or something equally innane.

i bought a haro cross country. was 6 months worth of ciggarette money.

aa9t8 said:
i bought a haro cross country. was 6 months worth of ciggarette money.
after 5 years on my fantastic Avanti Monza, I just upgraded for my upcoming attempts at Long distance triathlons and just paid $8000 (Australian Dollars) for a Guru Carbonio.... yep lots of money, but considering how much I ride, I will get my money back.

and as far as riding goes... ohhhh its just fantastic...... :) and Im glad I spent the money.

Mike_Rides_Red said:
I bought a Trek 1500 for $1000 a year ago and thought it was a high end bike until i went to my first race. Everyone had bikes $3000 plus and made my bike look low end to all these carbon Beauties. So how much is your bike?
I bought the same bike in the spring and love it. It seems to just keep rolling along and once I got used to its shifting patterns as I accellerated, the only limitations seemed to be my own muscles.

The only problem is I crashed it racing down hill (my fault, not the bike's :eek: ) and am now recovering from a broken femur, repaired with 2 screws, and a sepated AC shoulder joint. I'll fix the bike, rehab over the winter and get back on it come spring.

I think its high end enough for my purposes, and maybe yours too, and I wouldn't fret over the more expensive bikes that are out there.

I bought a Trek 7500 FX hybrid. It leans to the road side of hybrid. It was a new 2004 model. It retailed for $659 but since the new '05's were in they sold it to me for 25% off or $495. I have bought about $150 worth of accessories; helmet, flat pack, cyclo computer, and bar ends. Total I have spent about $700.

My behind tells me I really need some bike shorts with padding. And I would also like to get a heart rate monitor. Maybe for Christmas!

05 Specialized Hardrock Sport for MSRP or $349.99 plus tax. One cheap helmet, $15, for a quick first road. Many more accessories to come, clothes, better helmet, pack, ect.....
Later.

Both of my bikes are around $1200. I have a psychological barrier maxing at around $1500 which I would only pay for a road bike.

IMO, once you get above this price point, the law of diminishing returns starts to kick in i.e. you are only getting marginally more value for each dollar you spend. Nobody can convince me that a $3000 bike is double the quality of a $1500 bike. It might make sense to spend this kind of money if I were racing but otherwise I can't justify it. I am probably spending too much as it is.

I can afford more, but I would rather spend the extra money on other things and yes, even in getting a better car.

Mike_Rides_Red said:
I bought a Trek 1500 for $1000 a year ago and thought it was a high end bike until i went to my first race. Everyone had bikes $3000 plus and made my bike look low end to all these carbon Beauties. So how much is your bike?

I have also bought a Trek 1500, but unfortunately not for US$ 1000 but for US$ 1600, because I didn´t bought in the US. If you are still reading this, don´t bother about others having a better bike than you. I have raced a couple of duathlons on a 1995 KHS and beat some fellows with much nicer and expensive bikes (only some ;) ). Then I felt I wanted a newer and better bike and came with the 1500.

The 1500 is a great bike and if you could afford a better one I think you would. Even if you are planning to go to a racing career, it´s better to start out on a cheaper bike to explore its potential and then, when you think you need a faster bike because you feel you have the legs, buy a better one.

Foltz,
After reading your cycling bio it is best you stay with the sluggish design of the Optima Baron and never acquire a faster splitter frame lowracer.

4:20 for a downhill course is about the best an old school design can do. You will never learn.

As for "blazingpedals", keep dreaming. A highwalker with a flat tire on gravel can go faster than you.

Cheers,
Johnny NoCom

blazingpedals said:
I've been in a bike club for 20 years, and up until a few years ago had never raced. I still don't consider my self a racer, but I do like to push myself. I got my first sub-5 century in '02, and last year's best century was 4:20 (one-way route with a 6-10 mph headwind.

Well since I am new I guess I will fill in.

I just bought a Fiori Venezia with campy cranks, brakes, post, levers, headset, chain. I don't know much about it but is just as light as my Viner was in the early 90s. it has some other Italian rims, and bars, and a avocet seat.

I would love to know more about it....and it cost me a whopping $47.50.

The guy at the bike shop was drooling so I am guessing I got a good deal.

I was really into cycling and racing as a young teen (rode an 88 schwinn tempo) then I got my drivers license, then onto college (party!!). Before I knew I was 10 years out of high school. This year my buddy convinced to do a 150 mile charity ride. So early spring I starting riding again (my old schwinn) and became obsessed!! I finally convinced my wife to let me buy a new bike. Since we are on a tight budget I shopped ebay for just the right deal. I finally found a 2001 schwinn fastback pro that I couldn't pass up. Full ultegra and a shimano flightdeck less than 400 miles on it for $700. Since then I have been riding about 200 miles a month and have done a few races and am getting getting for next season. I want to race on a regular basis as I love being competitive and give me the motivation to stay in shape. Since I have starting riding I have lost over 40 pounds!! Feeling great. Sorry about the rant.

You don't have "too damn much" as an answer there. WTF? I have a Casati Challenge with Campy Chorus 10, Deda, and FSA Carbon cranks - it is bee-u-ti-ful! The only problem is that it's Carolina Blue, which is bad for a Wahoo!

sgort2000 said:
I finally found a 2001 schwinn fastback pro that I couldn't pass up. Full ultegra and a shimano flightdeck less than 400 miles on it for $700.

I have seen Schwinn fastbacks with Dura Ace and Mavic wheels that were about the price of a Dura Ace groupo. Very cheap but not very high on the snob appeal meter though.

I got lucky and picked up a Giant Iguana (MTB) for $260 (US) , better than half off list! Brand spankin new,but a left over last year's model and I love it!
Don't think I'll find a deal like that on a road bike or a chopper bike. Lookin for a chopper style so I can ride with my boy when he rides his new Schwinn Sting Ray Orange County Chopper ($179 US)..........Oh, my boy also has a Jamis Explorer (24" wheels) MTB that we got free!

Mike_Rides_Red said:
I’m a new registered user so be patient with me. Bought my first racing/touring bike (Fuji) 15+ years ago for around $1200. Rode many years for pleasure and fitness and also rode the Michigan DLMAC quad century five years in a row. Had to stop running (marathons) and biking at 56 due to surgeries. Six years latter everything is OK now and can ride again. Well, I’m 61 now and decided to buy a recumbent this year. Purchased a Tour Easy for $2300 after many trial rides on various recumbent configurations. I know it‘s a lot of money for a bike, but its comfort and quality led me to buy. Been riding again since July this year, but mainly doing commutes for now. Will ride during the winter as weather allows and plan on doing longer tours next year..

Bottom line, I bought the Tour Easy because of it’s comfort and quality plus it’s just plain fun. Get the same workout as I would on an upright. A less expensive bike would not have been right for me. One other thing, this will probably be the last two wheel bike I will buy. I will have to go to a fast trike sometime in the future and will expect to pay around $3-5,ooo. But, then again it’s what I like.

To me it really dosen't matter what other people ride as long as they like what they are riding and like to ride.
BOB500

Bob500 said:
To me it really dosen't matter what other people ride as long as they like what they are riding and like to ride.
BOB500

I agree, although I find my inner bike snob every once in awhile criticing other riders. Maybe I hung around the wrong crowd when I was younger.

kgruell said:
I bought a Trek 1500 (2005) in July and love it. I paid about $1100, not including all the extra gear I just had to have! I was riding a circa 1986 10 speed for about a month and finally broke down and coughed up the cash for a new ride. WOW, what a difference too. Nothing like switching from a bike that weighs 35+ pounds to a 20+ pound bike! Hey, anyone interested in a 1986 10 speed?! :)

Kurt
I hear you

I switched from a 35-40 pounder to a 20-24 pounder ( weight depends on the amount of water I'm Carrying)