How much does your bike cost?

I've had everything from £100 to £2500. There is a difference in ride quality, but as they say, money can't buy you happiness. Currently, I have 2 bikes. A Peugeot(cant remember what model) that my Dad gave me and saving up to restore it to its origional glory, and a Landrover Freelander Visalia hybrid. Oh, the Peugeot's a road bike. The Landrovers about £260. Never have any problems with it.

Bill.

Mike_Rides_Red said:
I bought a Trek 1500 for $1000 a year ago and thought it was a high end bike until i went to my first race. Everyone had bikes $3000 plus and made my bike look low end to all these carbon Beauties. So how much is your bike?
I just bought a new road bike. I have waited a few years to do so in order to one, decide what I wanted and two, not deprive my kids of anything by buying an expensive bike. I bought a Specialized Roubaix Comp Double with a computer and a couple hundred dollars worth of new riding clothes. I am at a little over 3 G's right now. A lot of money but I waited and got what I want, even took a weekend job just to buy a bike. But I did my home work I rode all the bikes I wanted to test ride and ended up spending twice as much as I thought I would. Don't waste your money, if price is a driving factor you probably can't afford the bike anyway. Find what you want and find a way to pay for it.

I am fortunate though that I had many years of racing mountain bikes so I had some idea of what I need and what I could justify with my riding skills. The bike is better than me but in few more weeks I will be back in shape.

I bought a Trek Pilot 2.1 in April for a little over $1500 with all the fixins...I bought a Gary Fisher Paragon (Genesis) in 2000 for a little over $1000...I love both bikes and alternate between both frequently.

Mike_Rides_Red said:
I bought a Trek 1500 for $1000 a year ago and thought it was a high end bike until i went to my first race. Everyone had bikes $3000 plus and made my bike look low end to all these carbon Beauties. So how much is your bike?
Glad to see I'm not the only cheapskate here, based on that poll. I am the proud new owner of a new Giant OCR3, couldn't wait a couple of months for a year-end deal (when my wife gives the go-ahead, I go ahead!;) ), so I paid the full $600 for it. So far very happy with my decision. This is my second road bike; my first was a late '80s Cannondale ST500 that went for around $500, had to sell it after a year or so due to dire financial conditions. Took this long (and the sale of a house!) to finally get it back.

I loved that Cannondale, but I must say God bless carbon fiber forks! It's been 15 years, and I can safely say my new Giant rides like a dream compared to that old ST500!

Tried out several in the $600 to $1000 range. I bought a Trek 1500 for $1000. Fits good, feels great and is fun to ride, besides, it is what I can afford. The other bike is a Raleigh Technium Pre, got it for $26. It ain't too bad either.

I just bought a 2006 Kona Stinky that was $2000 and I feel it was worth every penny spent!

In my opinion if you get out and ride the bike that's all that matters. If you want to spend the big bucks because you think it will make the ride more enjoyable and it will get you out on the road then more power to you.

My only though on the expensive bikes is that if you buy it for looks and don't use it much then it's a waste, but if that's how you want to spend your money, well it's yours to burn, I don't care.

Right now for me, and my ability my cheapo $150 MTB and $200 road bike are fine for me. Maybe when I get better and feel that a better and more expensive bike will improve my satisfaction I will buy one.

For now I am quite happy with what I ride now.

Bottom line, just get out and ride it and have fun doing it.

Spent a little over 600 here. I love the Shimano 600 especially when i am passing others with all this 9 and 10 speeds. It is even more fun when i go by them up a hill!!!

I had ridden cheap mt. bikes all through grad. school and went I took it on the local trails here I felt I could destroy the thing if I rode it too much so I bought a new one. Trek Fuel 80, expensive but wasn't going to fall apart or break on me.

This year I went to buy my first road bike ever. Didn't know the difference between duraAce, Ultegra, 105, etc. Didn't know nothin' 'bout nothin'. I just knew I wanted a decent bike. Well, the Trek 1000 didn't fit me well at all and the 1500 didn't, either. LBS suggested the Orbea and it fit me like a glove. I said I'll take it and forked over the $1800 plus money for Ultegra pedals. shoes, etc.

I ride ~100 miles a week and would love to have the time to do more.

I think people should educate themselves about the differences between component groups, frame materials, geometries, etc. and then buy the nicest bike they can afford. I think you'll ride it more and enjoy it more.

Windsor Leeds 2005 $280+40sh=$320 I like chromoly with rear rack eyelets and Sora STI shifters and this had both. I commute almost everyday on it and do a long ride on Saturdays. If it were more expensive it would own me instead of the other way around so cheaper bikes give you freedom. I must say I really like Ultegra outboard bearings on more expensive bikes though, thats the best part on the high end bikes.

Mike_Rides_Red said:

my bike is very cheap right now is almost 300$ :(

Breliswell said:
I'm new, I'm old (48), I'm overweight, I love to ride, I love to talk bikes and racing, components and widgets. I look like hell in spandex. But ride, I do, ride as hard, as often, and as far as I can. Because I love the ride.

I have a Specialized Allez Comp, I get dropped by the "B" riders on a regular basis, but I show up, mount up, climb up and roll on. If my "gut" offends you or my pace, or my ride, or my fashion sense (or lack there of) then so be it. I'm not out there for any of you, I'm out there for me.
You could be describing me, except I'm older, probably fatter, almost certainly slower, and I can't even begin to tell you how ridiculous I look in Spandex! But I like to ride and I'm a pretty good shade tree mechanic. Hardcore? Not hardly. Do I enjoy riding my bike as much as the next guy? Absolutely.

My ride: '71 Raleigh International I picked up on Ebay for 300 bucks. Full 531 frame, forks, and Campy dropouts. I took off most of the Campy stuff and stored it in a box. Got a big ole' Brooks B67 sprung saddle, Sugino triple crank with a low granny and 36 spoke, 35C TourGuard tires. The rest is a mixture of DA, TA, Ultegra, Suntour, XTR, Velocity, Sapim, Campy, Weimann, Kool Stop and all kinds of parts from all over the world. Got most of the stuff off Ebay. With 8 speed indexed shifting the thing runs like a Swiss watch and rides like a friggin' Cadillac. And I think it's beautiful! :D Total cost: less than $1200.

without voting in the poll... I can say, that after upgrades, routine maint., and other (for lack of a better term) "peripherals", My bike costs/ed exactly...

...TOO MUCH :D ;)

and you all know what I mean.

mysilver70sekai said:
I'm able to keep pace with most people with the expensive bikes, and they know i'm behind them because of the squeaking!!
Total= ~$330.00

good for you, don't do it any other way! ;)

I think mine would cost about $16,000 to replace if I lived in the US - I'd rather not add it all up if you don't mind!

Nick H. said:
I think mine would cost about $16,000 to replace if I lived in the US - I'd rather not add it all up if you don't mind!
Lemond Victoire was my first purchased roadie... I'd been commuting on a Tourmelet given to me by a friend several years ago--3 cm too small it turns out:confused: . While I dumped a lot of money into a bike that exceeds my ability or racing aspirations, MTBNewbie hit the nail on the head: I love this bike and have been riding 3 to 4 times what I was doing before--though I dare not commute on this investment.
- Buzz

Not sure. I ride a Marinoni (#1) frame that I've had since 1986. I hit a dog in 1989, crimped the top and down tubes, got another Marinoni (#2),and finally got it (#1) repaired in about 1998. I started replacing my Nuevo Record parts with Record in about 1997, got the Marinoni #1 frame built up with with the Record parts I had as well as new Record parts about 1999, and thats what I ride. I'm not sure how much it would cost to replace, maybe $3000

My second Marinoni (#2) frame (the infamous "Thats the one I got creamed on") is now a track bike, cost maybe $750-1000.

My cyclecross bike, a Surly, cost only $500. Great bike.

Also a McLean with all my old Nuevo Record parts, is my "classic" bike. Parts I used 25 years ago. Like VISA: Priceless. Damn I'm old.

RaleighRider said:
I would much rather be a 5000-dollar rider on a 1000-dollar bike than the other way around. You are the engine. So I wouldn't (and don't) worry about my harsh aluminum framed bike with full ultegra.

If someone has a seriously expensive bike but can't ride well I think they provoke distain. Cars are for posers bikes are for go'sers. The most important part of a bike are the legs connected to the pedals and the spirit driving those legs. Personally I don't think I would never pay for DA components unless I was a pro rider, no matter how much money I had. If your not a pro I think all DA level stuff is just JEWELRY. I’ve never been one for jewelry.

I think it's just overcompensating for something. And it’s pretty pathetic.

It’s not about the bike; it’s about the RIDE.

:eek:

And then you mounted up on a full Ti Serotta and STFU.

Cowboyathlete said:
Amen to that! I went on an off road ride not long ago with the local off road group. One guy there could easily talk all about components and specs til the cows come home. However, I could not help but notice the big ole gut he had hanging out.
Betcha also noticed the big ol bulge in his shorts, eh? Cowboy?

mtbnewbie said:
In my opinion if you get out and ride the bike that's all that matters. If you want to spend the big bucks because you think it will make the ride more enjoyable and it will get you out on the road then more power to you.

My only though on the expensive bikes is that if you buy it for looks and don't use it much then it's a waste, but if that's how you want to spend your money, well it's yours to burn, I don't care.

Right now for me, and my ability my cheapo $150 MTB and $200 road bike are fine for me. Maybe when I get better and feel that a better and more expensive bike will improve my satisfaction I will buy one.

For now I am quite happy with what I ride now.

Bottom line, just get out and ride it and have fun doing it.
Try taking the cheap MTN bike on some technical trails, see how they perform compared to something designed to handle extreme conditions. FUN? Not really.