How much does your bike cost?

Well I just got mine in the last 24hrs at last a real bike...

my old one was a Haro MTB, sort of enrty level stuff nothing the bees knees would bend for.

the new toy...
is a Piave P220, 7005 frame, carbon Piave forks, full Ultegra gearset, brakes etc... hybrid FSA~Shimano Ultegra crank, MODE lite wheels..etc...all up got it at an absolute steal, was makrked down 50% due to stock holding problems at the shop...so for $1500 (Aussie dollars) or about US$1100 ... a bargin in any books..

Tony H

TheDL said:
Hahahaha....my bike is circa 1988. Minus accessories it cost about $470. Bought it used and upgraded some stuff, Shimano 600/Ultegra and I still stare at it!

1984 Schwinn Peloton with Suntour Superbe Pro components and tubulars. Paid about $500 to $600 for it brand new. I'm pulling about three pounds more than my ride friends and hope to upgrade to a lighter faster ride.

It's still a sweet ride.

CB

Hmm....well I feel like an idiot/snob after reading this post. I'm just getting into cycling, and have been saving for several months to buy a road bike. My first choice is Trek's Pilot 2.1 WSD which is going to cost me around $1500 and second Pilot 2.1 WSD s.p.a which cost $1800. Extremely pricey for someone who hasn't ridden in years :) I'm a recent college graduate, and buying either one will seriously put a dent in my checking account. But for some reason, I can’t find another one that I like and I figure which ever I choose will last me for years. My dad rides a 30 y/o bike, and I plan on keeping mine just as long. After reading what people have to say, I'm starting to get nervous about buying one. Am I going to be the one people talk about...there's the girl with an expensive bike and doesn't know how to work it!! :rolleyes:

bcnyal8r2 said:
Hmm....well I feel like an idiot/snob after reading this post. I'm just getting into cycling, and have been saving for several months to buy a road bike. My first choice is Trek's Pilot 2.1 WSD which is going to cost me around $1500 and second Pilot 2.1 WSD s.p.a which cost $1800. Extremely pricey for someone who hasn't ridden in years :) I'm a recent college graduate, and buying either one will seriously put a dent in my checking account. But for some reason, I can’t find another one that I like and I figure which ever I choose will last me for years. My dad rides a 30 y/o bike, and I plan on keeping mine just as long. After reading what people have to say, I'm starting to get nervous about buying one. Am I going to be the one people talk about...there's the girl with an expensive bike and doesn't know how to work it!! :rolleyes:
Go for it! People get into cycling different ways...Tour De Georgia rolled through town and the next day I pulled out my 20 year old Schwinn and started riding...I had a bike you don't. The Trek Pilot is probably a perfect bike to enter the sport. Happy Trails,

CB

KMKS said:
Bought my first real bike a couple weeks ago. Was 300 bucks, a 1997 Bianchi volpe. Came with a pretty nice cyclocomputer, clipless pedals and shoes, touring bags/racks, and a bike rack for the car! pretty good deal if you ask me, though it could use some new brakes.
I bought a 05 Bianchi Brava from my LBS for about 450 bucks. After shoes and pedals it was about $550. It was a great deal and it sounds like you got one too. Congratulations!

My main ride is a full-Record Look 585 with Hyperons. Retail is $8,800, and no, I didn't pay that. ;) I can't fault any part of this machine. It's 14.94 pounds, very stiff, yet comfy and not at all squirrely. Currently, it's dialed in and adjusted the way I'd want it in midseason. (Replacing the Record rear derailleur that had 40,000 miles on it did the trick...)

Do I enjoy and appreciate this machine? Oh, hell, yes. Do I take it for granted? Oh, hell, yes... :D

Enjoy riding whatever you ride.

I bought my main bike (1996 Pre-owned Gary Fisher, no suspension) for $175.00 at a LBS. I put a few hundred in it to get the configuration I wanted.

I have several others that cost more. I ride the Gary Fisher more than the others because it's so versitile and tough. It can withstand things that would destroy a road bike.

I might consider something more expensive, if I thought it would bring me more pleasure.

Lessee... the first bike I bought was an old Schwinn at a yard sale. Don't remember what it was, but I paid $6 for it. Cost me $20 for repairs and parts, and I rode it for three years. Funny thing was that I used to ride with a friend that raced. His sponsors had bought him a $2400 bike, and I kept up with him pretty well. We traded bikes once, he let me try his, and I left him SO far behind. He never let me ride his bike again, for some reason. :)

My current bike is a 1972 Schwinn Super Sport. Paid $20 for it, put in another $25 in parts. Just got offered $75 for it by a collector.

The best bike I ever owned was a Miyata one-ten I paid $150 for used from a bike shop. I still kick myself for giving that one away, even if the frame WAS a little too small for me.

Currently shopping for a new bike. Trying to keep the price under $600, that's about the max I can afford.

$650 trek 7.5fx. I'd like to move up to a true roadbike someday. I think it's short sighted to criticize someone for spending alot on a bike if they spend more time on it than they do in their car.

$90 Bridgestone 550 road bike with suntour components on craigslist- my first road bike.:) also bought a bike pump, inner tube, and new tire because the rear one popped. planning on getting some lycra shorts, cyclocomputer, a better saddle, and later, clipless pedals and shoes. clipped pedals are so annoying! :mad:

Just bought a Raleigh Technium for $50. Gonna be my bike for a bit, as I got an offer for my Schwinn from a collector. I rode it for 2 years, and I'm making $30 over what I paid for the bike, tires, seat, and all. It's going to a good home where it'll be appreciated.

I got my OCR1 last spring for 1k, alum frame, c/f seat post and front fork, with Ultegra components. The stumpjumper was my cousin's old bike, so I got it for free.

I just got my new baby, a 2004 Marin Highway One, for 600$ off of Ebay. It was a bit altered from stock, it had a cheaper al seatpost instead of carbon, cyclocross tires instead of kevlar racers, and plastic cliped pedals. I took the seat/seatpost combo out and replaced it with my Thomson Elite seatpost and WTB Laser Team saddle. I need to get some pedals for it. :/

Despite that...I love my new bike so much, its perfect, to me.

A Huffy trike, with toot-toot horn and coon tail streamers off the handle bar ends. I got it new in 1953 for $9. Still rides great, and recently retrofitted with aerobars. I use it for training exclusively. My other bike's a Cervelo P2SL, which I only use for races.

I want to revisit this thread. I had posted last year that I was waiting for the delivery of my bike. When I got it, I had it six months and put a bit over 2000 miles on it, then it was stolen. Insurance got me a new bike. I repurposed it this time, still, a full-custom Calfee Tetra Pro for $6061.25.

This build, though, includes a Tubus rear rack, a helmet, a Jandd rack trunk, Jitensha Honjo fenders, computer, pump, patch kit, multi-tool and a Kryptonite New York lock.

This month, so far I've ridden 349 miles on it, on average one ride every third day, usually over 40 miles. My ride is also painted Tranparent Cabernet Red which looks really rich in bright sunlight. It's so dark in dimmer light it looks chocolate.

This is a very interesting thread to read with ups and downs. Anyways I'm over 50 and just bought my first bike. I had one as a teenager that my parents bought me, but this is like a new beginning. Actually just bought 4 bikes for everyone in the family. No options where I live. You just pick-up what's there and that's it. There was only one model in my size and I wasn't familier with all the techno talk etc. After two days of riding and noticing what I had I was pleasently surprised " Raleigh Tomahawk" $500.00 CDN. I just ordered for me and my wife a Serfas RX saddle to add. Now with these forums I am learning a lot and it's very exciting. For me to upgrade it would only be for better tires, tubes, and maybe a "NitroPro Gas Suspension Seatpost". But we'll see how it goes with the new saddle. I go to work with it as much as possible, instead of taking my extreme off-road Jeep, plus other outings when possible.
Right now I'm just cranked up about biking.

Mike_Rides_Red said:
I bought a Trek 1500 for $1000 a year ago and thought it was a high end bike until i went to my first race. Everyone had bikes $3000 plus and made my bike look low end to all these carbon Beauties. So how much is your bike?
I ride a Fetish Cycles SAC, I built up from a new frame and other bikes I owned and parts I swapped, and bought around the town - I probably spent about $800 total on it. I love it.

$829. I went in to buy a Trek 1000 and walked out with the 1200. I love the bike, but I just can't help thinking that I'd love a Trek 1500 just that much more if I'd ponied up the extra cash.

Maybe I'll take the extra money and go put it twoard a bike for my wife so she can come along with me when I ride.

Nah - I think I'll buy some race wheels. :cool: