How much does your bike cost?

The judgementalism on this forum is shameful and the only sad note of my return to cycling
Judgmentalism is unfortunately a common theme on almost every forum I have seen. Don't let it affect your passion for cycling, as it is primarily a "forum" issue, as people tend to make comments differently when they are interacting in this sort of medium.

Glad you got such a nice bike, congrats.

Fred

Pennstate said:
Judgmentalism is unfortunately a common theme on almost every forum I have seen. Don't let it affect your passion for cycling, as it is primarily a "forum" issue, as people tend to make comments differently when they are interacting in this sort of medium.

Glad you got such a nice bike, congrats.

Fred
I agree with you, but isn't it a bit like saying Mel Gibson only hates jews when he's drunk?:rolleyes:

genedoc said:
I agree with you, but isn't it a bit like saying Mel Gibson only hates jews when he's drunk?:rolleyes:
Judgementalism does carry a negative connotation. However, it is part of the human condition and does have some positives. For example, just because someone I know likes to use recreational drugs doesn't mean I should just accept that in my friend. Because of that "habit" it can also attract other negative consequences such as if I were to be traveling with him and we get stopped by a police officer such that he were to search the vehicle, finding a drug stash... I would be carted away along with that "friend"...

one of the things you have to accept in forums dealing with cycling is the fact that there are two main camps dealing with cost/performance of the bicycle you use. It is an eternal "gott und teufel" type of struggle where there really is no winner because each others point of view will never be changed no matter how much arguing goes on about it...

I just accept that it is there and ignore it...

Judgementalism does carry a negative connotation.
You've cited an exceptional example of a good version of judgmentalism.

However, most cases of it are not only unneccessary, but inaccurate. One of the hardest skills to develop is to withold judgment until you have as much info as you can get. It is a skill worth praising. We all pass judgment too early on a routine basis, and we all would be better served by occassionally witholding our 'judgment'

Just making conversation....:cool:

147 bucks at walmart. Blue gmc denali roadbike. Shimano revo/sti components. Sure is fun. My dream bike, at the moment another kent either the yukon, or the kodiac we'll see if that ever changes as I get more knollege under my belt.

n2t said:
147 bucks at walmart. Blue gmc denali roadbike. Shimano revo/sti components. Sure is fun. My dream bike, at the moment another kent either the yukon, or the kodiac we'll see if that ever changes as I get more knollege under my belt.

interesting. How long have you been riding it?

i payed 600 for my DMB podium 1 carbon fork nothing to fancy but i think its a nice bike. and like everybody says it the engine that counts

My bike ('07 Giant OCR 1w) cost $1100 but within one week I added over $1000 to the price tag with Easton wheelset & Velomax hubs ($749), Fortezza tires (~$100), new Terry saddle ($120), Ultegra long reach brakes ($150) . . . Oh the upgrade fever!!!! :eek:

I've been riding it about a week now. Just trying out this cycling to work thing for fitness/fun/no gas to pay for. It's about a 5 mile trip one way and is taking me around 20mins now so what 15 miles per hour? Pretty slow I know. It's holding up as am I but the trek guys with all their bike gear are passing me like I'm standing still, lol.

I paid $25 for a used Sekai Special, stipped it, dropped another $50 into making it a single speed. $30 for new ties, $65 for a noseless saddle, $40 for TT handlebars, $30 for reverse break levers, $30 for a new bottom bracket after I blew out the original doing too many hills. So that is a total of $270. I have about another $350 between a new bottom bracket set and clipless peddles.

Doesnt say what currency in the poll :/

I paid $3k for mine in NZD, thats probably about 2k USD i suppose. Worth every penny though - my old bike cost me $100NZD and was poorly fitted (though it rode ok)

Mike_Rides_Red said:
I bought a Trek 1500 for $1000 a year ago and thought it was a high end bike until i went to my first race. Everyone had bikes $3000 plus and made my bike look low end to all these carbon Beauties. So how much is your bike?

Both my road bike and my mtb cost about £600 after a discount. I dont know what that is in $s so I figured less than $1000 of them.

my old gary fisher was at $500 new (before trek bought gary fisher) but i devoured the manitou shocks that came with her on the sixth day of ownership jumping a bayou. then came the judy rock shox and crossride rims so a total of around $900.

roadie specialized tarmac elite is just under $2400 with 105 and Mavic cxp22's. no upgrades on her as of yet.

I bought my bike used for around $600, but with upgrades, id say its closing in on maybe $1400. Its turned into the ole farmers axe...about the only original part on the bike is the frame

In a bizarre coincidence, my bike cost exactly what I paid.

Is there something to be divined from the cost of someone else's bike?

$200 Schwinn 700c Avenue hybrid. It is great.

I'm a beginning biker. My extra cash right now goes to hiking and skiing gear. Can't wait for my October trip to the Appalachian Trail and January trip to Snowmass/Aspen! ;)

stevebiker said:
$200 Schwinn 700c Avenue hybrid. It is great.

I'm a beginning biker. My extra cash right now goes to hiking and skiing gear. Can't wait for my October trip to the Appalachian Trail and January trip to Snowmass/Aspen! ;)

Hiking = good stuff.