How much does your bike cost?

Mike_Rides_Red

Oct 30, 2003
I bought a Trek 1500 for $1000 a year ago and thought it was a high end bike until i went to my first race. Everyone had bikes $3000 plus and made my bike look low end to all these carbon Beauties. So how much is your bike?

I'm still puttin around on an el-cheapo Schwinn mountain bike that my wife bought at Wal-Mart. :D Hoping to move into a decent road bike next year.

Mike_Rides_Red said:
I bought a Trek 1500 for $1000 a year ago and thought it was a high end bike until i went to my first race. Everyone had bikes $3000 plus and made my bike look low end to all these carbon Beauties. So how much is your bike?
I would much rather be a 5000-dollar rider on a 1000-dollar bike than the other way around. You are the engine. So I wouldn't (and don't) worry about my harsh aluminum framed bike with full ultegra.

If someone has a seriously expensive bike but can't ride well I think they provoke distain. Cars are for posers bikes are for go'sers. The most important part of a bike are the legs connected to the pedals and the spirit driving those legs. Personally I don't think I would never pay for DA components unless I was a pro rider, no matter how much money I had. If your not a pro I think all DA level stuff is just JEWELRY. I’ve never been one for jewelry.

I think it's just overcompensating for something. And it’s pretty pathetic.

It’s not about the bike; it’s about the RIDE.

:eek:

FREE!! I'm riding a bike that i found in my garage. A mint condition 1970s silver Sekai Sprint 1000(with original casette and dia-compe, suntour components), hence the handle. I put about $250 in new and used gear including seat(used Selle HyperPro), post, stem(w/ 4" extension JD), tires(Continental Gatorskin), computer(Cateye Enduro 8), cork, shimano hood covers(stretched over the dia-compe brake hoods), etc. My pedals and shoes(Time Equippe Sport) were generously donated to me by my former highschool athletics director(the shoes are from the 80s and are about to crumble away into dust, except where held together by duct tape!), and I spent about $80 on shorts, new helmet, and jersey(currently collecting dust).
Unfortunately the frame is too small for me, so a new bike is inevitable, but not this year. I really enjoy this bike...because i don't know any other one...and i'm damn proud of it. I'm able to keep pace with most people with the expensive bikes, and they know i'm behind them because of the squeaking!!
Total= ~$330.00

Aaron

I just bought my Felt F70 and took it out the other day. Compared to my hybrid, the Felt weighs 1/3rd as much, and is at least twice as fast. It's like a race car, so I don't care how much it cost ($900), it's a Ferrari as far as I'm concerned.

:eek: I guess I'll be the first high dollar person. Mine, when I built it up new back in 01, was about 4grand. I drive around a $800 car, and work so that I can buy bike stuff and race. This coming winter will be my first full devoted offseason.

Hi,

Ive got a Fausto Coppi Lombardia, real nice bike but frame a bit on the large size. Cost £600 which is dunno... $900-1000??

I paid $25.00 about a month ago for a ca. 1988 F.W. Evans lightweight tourer, handbuilt, 531, Campy hubs & Super Champion rims, Blackburn racks and Esge fenders, rides like a dream, and to judge from the wear on the tires and accessories, less than 500 miles on it when I bought it. It has about a thousand miles on it now, and is my ride and joy. Like a lot of the English R531 shops, I believe they no longer offer their own frames. Which is a shame, as TIG welded aluminum is taking over the world.
Previous ride was a lightly-used Raleigh Technium from about the same era, paid $50.00, and it nearly shook itself to death over four years carrying moderate loads. I think I might have gotten 6k out of it, and was glad to find the Evans as the Raleigh was getting to the point where I didn't quite trust the alum frame.
Interesting question. I commute in Austin, and the numbers of WalMart-style bikes on the roads here are amazing. A guy on the bus yesterday was loading a nice-looking mtn bike that I asked about ... Target, he said, for $125.00. A working dude, said he couldn't countenance paying $2000 for a bike. Neither can I.

[I think it's just overcompensating for something. And it’s pretty pathetic.

I have Dura Ace and think it is pathetic that you care. I don't care what you ride on if that makes you feel better. :cool:

Look at how many of us went with the lower end of the price ranges. I am sure there are many in here who can easily afford the more expensive models for either on or off road. However, there are even more who buy what we can afford.

RaleighRider said:
I would much rather be a 5000-dollar rider on a 1000-dollar bike than the other way around. You are the engine. So I wouldn't (and don't) worry about my harsh aluminum framed bike with full ultegra.

If someone has a seriously expensive bike but can't ride well I think they provoke distain. Cars are for posers bikes are for go'sers. The most important part of a bike are the legs connected to the pedals and the spirit driving those legs. Personally I don't think I would never pay for DA components unless I was a pro rider, no matter how much money I had. If your not a pro I think all DA level stuff is just JEWELRY. I’ve never been one for jewelry.

I think it's just overcompensating for something. And it’s pretty pathetic.

It’s not about the bike; it’s about the RIDE.

:eek:
Amen to that! I went on an off road ride not long ago with the local off road group. One guy there could easily talk all about components and specs til the cows come home. However, I could not help but notice the big ole gut he had hanging out.

Purely recreational/fitness rider here. A little over $600.00 for my Raleigh road bike, and I have no complaints.

jhuskey said:
[I think it's just overcompensating for something. And it’s pretty pathetic.

I have Dura Ace and think it is pathetic that you care. I don't care what you ride on if that makes you feel better. :cool:
The point of the post is the price of the bike. I'm not sure but I think the components are related to the price. So I'm not the one that brought it up.

I simply responded. If you want to know who cares talk to the thread starter. I guess he’s pathetic too for caring.

I responded to a question.

I really like the fact that me thinking YOU are pathetic makes me pathetic.

You’re very original.

My post was very simple. I care about rider ability (specifically my ability) not components. But I guess that point went over your head.

But if you really think I care about your DA stuff which obviously makes you feeeel good or you would not have them, that’s fine.

To sum up one more time: to be hung up on the components instead of the ride is to miss the true picture. And that is pathetic.

And if you don't like my opinion tough S H I T.

Enjoy your jewelry, stare at it often.

I’ll be out riding. Like right now!

;)

Hello everbody I have a cannondale R-800 with Dura Ace and yes I like Da I also like 105 but hey I am 50 years old and can afford it so why not.Does it work better some most would not notice.Price oh well the bike as it is 2500$.My wife has a Seven axiom full Dura Ace complete 6000$ and she loves it.She also has a cannondale R 800 with 105 1600$ I will not list the other bikes we have these are the ones we ride the most.We do ride a lot and only in the last couple years have spent a little more on something we really enjoy.I have tried to have a good time no matter how much the bike cost.I believe in staying fit no matter what your age or ability.I love to ride and to run and can still ride as well as i could 20 years ago I have to my wife is 15 years younger.oh well ride fast no matter what you got and if you cant ride fast at least ride.

RaleighRider said:
The point of the post is the price of the bike. I'm not sure but I think the components are related to the price. So I'm not the one that brought it up.

I simply responded. If you want to know who cares talk to the thread starter. I guess he’s pathetic too for caring.

I responded to a question.

I really like the fact that me thinking YOU are pathetic makes me pathetic.

You’re very original.

My post was very simple. I care about rider ability (specifically my ability) not components. But I guess that point went over your head.

But if you really think I care about your DA stuff which obviously makes you feeeel good or you would not have them, that’s fine.

To sum up one more time: to be hung up on the components instead of the ride is to miss the true picture. And that is pathetic.

And if you don't like my opinion tough S H I T.

Enjoy your jewelry, stare at it often.

I’ll be out riding. Like right now!

;)

Hahahaha....my bike is circa 1988. Minus accessories it cost about $470. Bought it used and upgraded some stuff, Shimano 600/Ultegra and I still stare at it!

I paid £700 for my Specialized which cost £2400 when new. I only ride for fun, nothing too serious. I bought it 2nd from a friend so I got a good deal and also had the reassurance of knowing what had happened to the bike etc. I figured that I would have to spend that much to get a fairly decent new mtb anyway so I thought i'd have a look 2nd hand. Also I have a habit of breaking bikes a lot so I paid more and it has certainly paid off, the higher spec components have not failed so far *touches wood table* and you can really feel the difference when riding it.
I couldn't justify paying £2000+ for a bike for what I use it for!
I also have a Commencal BMX which cost £260 - £120 off rrp!

I always search out the bargains ;)

right now i have a raliegh mt bike [$3.00] but this fall im gona get a canonndale road bike between 6 to 8 hundred bucks

I paid $499 for my 2005 Specialize Rockhopper, but I'm in the process of swapping out the alivio parts for XT and XTR components. When racing starts I should have around $1200 invested in the bike.

Cowboyathlete said:
Amen to that! I went on an off road ride not long ago with the local off road group. One guy there could easily talk all about components and specs til the cows come home. However, I could not help but notice the big ole gut he had hanging out.
I'm new, I'm old (48), I'm overweight, I love to ride, I love to talk bikes and racing, components and widgets. I look like hell in spandex. But ride, I do, ride as hard, as often, and as far as I can. Because I love the ride.

I have a Specialized Allez Comp, I get dropped by the "B" riders on a regular basis, but I show up, mount up, climb up and roll on. If my "gut" offends you or my pace, or my ride, or my fashion sense (or lack there of) then so be it. I'm not out there for any of you, I'm out there for me.

Right on brother I am 50 use to have a gut just kept right on riding gone now.My thought always is at least they are riding. Alot if people I grew up with were going to lose a little first some of them ended up losing there life waiting I dont wait for no one.Ride fast and if you cant ride fast just ride.

Breliswell said:
I'm new, I'm old (48), I'm overweight, I love to ride, I love to talk bikes and racing, components and widgets. I look like hell in spandex. But ride, I do, ride as hard, as often, and as far as I can. Because I love the ride.

I have a Specialized Allez Comp, I get dropped by the "B" riders on a regular basis, but I show up, mount up, climb up and roll on. If my "gut" offends you or my pace, or my ride, or my fashion sense (or lack there of) then so be it. I'm not out there for any of you, I'm out there for me.