• 16-20 pounds

Votes: 120 9.2%
  • 21-25 pounds

Votes: 810 62.3%
  • 26 pounds or more

Votes: 371 28.5%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Memphmann
Does anyone actually have a frame that was measured, designed, and built only for them? Or are most frames/bike just shop bought? Just wonderinghow many of us have custom built bikes???????

Memph

I was going to get a custom bike so I got myself all measured up including toe-nail size and all. When I looked a 53cm Colnago it turned out that it was within millimeters of what I would've required from a custom build. I guess I'm an average sized Italian at heart....

A

Originally posted by Memphmann
Do those waterbottle cages save that much weight? If so how much. You know what else saves weight? Filling bottles with air instead of fluid.... :)

Memph

Dude, Waterbottle cages save huge amounts of weight. Besides, it's dollars per gram that counts, and the cages are unbeatable. You can shave off almost 100g for peanuts, while you'd pay big bucks to save that much on a crank for instance. 300 bucks or so for a record crank, and 1000 if you get the carbon version. That'll save you a bit over 100g.

Cheers and keep them feet clicked in,

A

Hi Memph:

How's life in Toronto? BTW, the carbon cages were an aesthetic; gram-shaving was the “icing.” Since dang near everything else that’s sticking out of the frame is carbon, I had to stay on theme.

Bstay (A), thanks for your support dude!

Let’s admit it gang, we’re all gear-heads or we wouldn’t be posting on this Web site. We’d buy a hybrid and park it in the garage.

“Performance” is the rationalization. (read: excuse I tell my wife). I raced on much less than I rec-ride today. But what the heck. I love the technology. And while my fellow 40-something executive buddies are dragging their morbidly obese carcasses to the golf course, or a McDonald’s, I’m out riding a 50 or 100 mile club ride and enjoying every minute. Wisk up hills, slice the wind on the flats, nothing but fun.

Plus, I don’t golf. I don’t own a fishing boat. Cycling is my passion. And even buying the best equipment – and other accoutrement – doesn’t come close to what many average Joes plow into car hobbies or season tickets … or whatever.

So fellow gear-heads, tell your spouses/significant others/self that you’ve chosen the best hobby on earth. It’s comparatively very cheap, even with a bike costing thousands. And we’ll live longer, healthier and happier lives.

Jim
Seattle, WA

I don't see any road bikes I recognize here <grin> but my Guerciotti modified with bar end shifters weighs almost exactly 10kg.

The drive train is shot so I'm trying to buy a road bike used that weighs less but has a groupo that I can live with (ultegra, veloce etc.). Any suggestions for a $600 sub 10kg bike?

current bike Trek 5500 7.7kg
just placed an order for new bike to replace this Trek Madone 5.9 with full Dura-Ace Mavic Ksyriums ITM Unika/Uniko bar stem USE Ailen seat post SLR saddle 6.5kg

Well, as a data point for old stuff, my 1974 vintage Katakura Silk 10 sp comes in at 21 lbs 3 oz. - includes water bottle and pump of course.

Now a better question is how much do the riders weigh? This FOF is 180.

Originally posted by bstay
I was going to get a custom bike so I got myself all measured up including toe-nail size and all. When I looked a 53cm Colnago it turned out that it was within millimeters of what I would've required from a custom build. I guess I'm an average sized Italian at heart....

A

You are lucky that you are average shaped. I'm 6'2, so having a bike built for me was awesome. But to be honest. The owner of the bike shop I dealt with best friends with Joe Gardin. So I got my bike at a steal.....

Memph

Originally posted by bstay
Dude, Waterbottle cages save huge amounts of weight. Besides, it's dollars per gram that counts, and the cages are unbeatable. You can shave off almost 100g for peanuts, while you'd pay big bucks to save that much on a crank for instance. 300 bucks or so for a record crank, and 1000 if you get the carbon version. That'll save you a bit over 100g.

Cheers and keep them feet clicked in,

A

You have a good point. Less expensive to change a bottleholder then other equipment. But in reality why? Guess if you have the $$ to waste it makes sense. Most of us on this site are not Pro racers. So weight has little to do with our rides. Who are we really racing besides ourself. Upgrades like these are not done to save weight, but to show off our bikes. That is why every Sunday, I fly by these older (mainly wealthy guys) riders with brand new bikes and equipment. Put a smile on my face when I drop them. They try to keep up, but with 1 or 2 days/week on their legs. They have little hope. Fancy bikes and equipment does not make a rider....

Memph

Originally posted by JimBallard
Hi Memph:

How's life in Toronto? BTW, the carbon cages were an aesthetic; gram-shaving was the “icing.” Since dang near everything else that’s sticking out of the frame is carbon, I had to stay on theme.

Bstay (A), thanks for your support dude!

Let’s admit it gang, we’re all gear-heads or we wouldn’t be posting on this Web site. We’d buy a hybrid and park it in the garage.

“Performance” is the rationalization. (read: excuse I tell my wife). I raced on much less than I rec-ride today. But what the heck. I love the technology. And while my fellow 40-something executive buddies are dragging their morbidly obese carcasses to the golf course, or a McDonald’s, I’m out riding a 50 or 100 mile club ride and enjoying every minute. Wisk up hills, slice the wind on the flats, nothing but fun.

Plus, I don’t golf. I don’t own a fishing boat. Cycling is my passion. And even buying the best equipment – and other accoutrement – doesn’t come close to what many average Joes plow into car hobbies or season tickets … or whatever.

So fellow gear-heads, tell your spouses/significant others/self that you’ve chosen the best hobby on earth. It’s comparatively very cheap, even with a bike costing thousands. And we’ll live longer, healthier and happier lives.

Jim
Seattle, WA

Hello Jim:

It is great that you are not one of those fat dudes swing at a little white ball, driving in a cart from hole to hole.

But why all the expensive equipment for such little usage? Because you have the $$ and want to show it off. This lesson was taught to me by my old trainer. He was racing on an older pure steal frame. Upgraded to 600STI for convenience. He would win races over these other guys who had bikes with every upgrade known to man. Why? He was stronger. Told me that equipment does not make a racer great.

So I have kept this advice to heart. Thank you for being out every Sunday. Gives me more riders to fly by....
:)

Memph

18" Easton Ultralite alum mtb frame with mix of XT/XTR, WTB wheels, etc...23.25 lbs.

Eddy merckx Team SC - 83 kilograms ( including me which is quite important tee hee )
It staggers me how many people get fixated with 50 grams here and there when a water bottle is 1 Kilo and you may be 2 or 3 kilos overweight.

tange cro-moly mtb frame with XT/XTR parts. 11,5 kg. With me -that is the important part- 80 kg..

Originally posted by blip
Eddy merckx Team SC - 83 kilograms ( including me which is quite important tee hee )
It staggers me how many people get fixated with 50 grams here and there when a water bottle is 1 Kilo and you may be 2 or 3 kilos overweight.

You have a great point and could not agree with you more......

Memph

My new bike Ciöcc New Style, Dura-ace, Ksyrium ssc sl weights 7.3kg. My TT bike Cannondale r1000, ultegra, Ksyrium ssc sl weights 8,6kg.

I just had my 1988 Cannondale 67cm (c-c) Aluminum Road bike with Shimano 105 downtube shifters weighed yesterday. With Rack and Aero bars: 28.5 lbs or almost 13kg. No wonder I struggle with hills even with the triple chainring.
Thus begins my search for the new perfect bike.

I think any weight under 26 to 28 lbs is ok........of course, not
for racing....then 16 to 21 lbs.

Litespeed Tuscany: 20.7 lbs
Schwinn CrissCross + Adams Trail-a-Bike + 6-yr-old daughter: 102.4 lbs (35.7 + 22.7 + 44)

Hard to say which one is more fun.

well don't know much about pounds but my Merida IKE Gross venus C7 full carbon every thing even seat only weights 4.5kg about 9LBS
and on the other side of teh scale my Norco NX2000 MTB dual shock adventure (so down hill/cross) weights 21kg about 45LBS
most road bikes off rack 8kg to 12kg