Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 16-20 pounds

Votes: 120 9.2%
  • 21-25 pounds

Votes: 810 62.3%
  • 26 pounds or more

Votes: 371 28.5%

• Total voters
My Marin Stinson weighs 48lbs with rack and panniers with my commuter load. I do 100+ miles per week with that load. I'd be interested to see what a sub 20lb bike feels like.

Originally posted by less'go
VTC "Railway" 'bout 18 kilos, stripped. Never is stripped though, saddlebags, panier, full water bottle, rain parka, gloves and scarf, helmet (s), groceries, etc., kid seat + occasional kid.

Gimmee one of your lil' light weight girlie bikes, I'll even leave ol Memph a-cryin' in my dust! ;)

Sara

Thanks, in the final consideration to buy a Koga World Traveler with the Rholoff hub (for added weight I suppose), I thought reality was slipping. But once you add the necessities for travel, even the fancy pants bikes will weigh in -or break.
Thanks

HEY MEMPH, NOT EVERONE WHO HAS A LIGHT RIDE IS A SHOW OFF!

I have a felt-f10 that comes in at 14.7lbs. I got this bike for a number of reasons. 1. Been doing this for 30 years, I deserve it. 2. My butt is gettig old and can use the extra help it gives me to ride with the guys in there 20's, I'm knocking on 47. 3. As far as stamina - got it, sprint - I'm a rocket. I commute 38.5 miles a day and record over 13,000 miles a year, and my car hasn't more then 247 for the year. Befor you insult the general bike population, pull your head out of that dark place and come ride with me, you might learn what it's all about.

Hallelujah!! Or however that's spelled. You're an inspiration. You may be older than some of us (???), but we're all heading in the same direction. I can only hope to keep it up for 30 years... it's only been two months for me, but I think my bike has changed my life...

kEEP IT UP!

Originally posted by less'go
VTC "Railway" 'bout 18 kilos, stripped. Never is stripped though, saddlebags, panier, full water bottle, rain parka, gloves and scarf, helmet (s), groceries, etc., kid seat + occasional kid.

Gimmee one of your lil' light weight girlie bikes, I'll even leave ol Memph a-cryin' in my dust! ;)

Sara

I would love to see this :) Could keep it in my little chainring (39) and still beat ya...

My new bike shall be lighter then my ride now. But not going to waste my hard earned $$ on making as light as humanly possible......

Keep riding and just maybe.....

Memph

Originally posted by FELTF10
HEY MEMPH, NOT EVERONE WHO HAS A LIGHT RIDE IS A SHOW OFF!

I have a felt-f10 that comes in at 14.7lbs. I got this bike for a number of reasons. 1. Been doing this for 30 years, I deserve it. 2. My butt is gettig old and can use the extra help it gives me to ride with the guys in there 20's, I'm knocking on 47. 3. As far as stamina - got it, sprint - I'm a rocket. I commute 38.5 miles a day and record over 13,000 miles a year, and my car hasn't more then 247 for the year. Befor you insult the general bike population, pull your head out of that dark place and come ride with me, you might learn what it's all about.

Great, am happy to hear that you deserve your bike. You are one of the few older guys I know that ride that much. Most of them in my large area that I chase down, are not deserving (show off purposes). They are weak, week-end riders. That is my opinion, they have theirs.

Hey, I basically ride 120-140km daily and commute to work also. Only 20 minutes either way......

Memph

Giant OCR 3 with campag proton wheels 22lb/10kg
Giant AC 2 37lb/17kg

i changed to campag protons the other day and lost 600g off the wheels!!

What a difference that makes

Originally posted by Memphmann
Great, am happy to hear that you deserve your bike. You are one of the few older guys I know that ride that much. Most of them in my large area that I chase down, are not deserving (show off purposes). They are weak, week-end riders. That is my opinion, they have theirs.

Hey, I basically ride 120-140km daily and commute to work also. Only 20 minutes either way......

Memph
I also fell I deserve my carbon bike. I have ridden off and on for 25 years not counting my early youth. I will be 51 next month and with my wife ride four times a week (aboy 80 miles) on terrain that will rip your guts out. It is all mountains here with hills that seem to go on forever before you reach the top. I can't ride as I did 20 years ago on my old Trek 460 (around 200 mile a week then) but I give it hell anyway. I could care less who I offend because I have a better bike than they think I should have. I didn't buy it for someone else I bought it for me and as I said I have been at it for a while. I ride light with only a water bottle, no tools,no nothing just me and the bike.I ride for me and the enjoyment of it and try not to over analyze it. That will make you crazy and boring. The question was asked and answered Kg-261 with dura ace 15 lbs. Why that bother anyone?

Where are you from. I am from Montreal, Canada. Did over 7,000 km this year even if I am still working 40 hours a week. I will be 69 in December this year and have raced until I was 51 years old. Course the weight of my bicycle does't mean much to me today as I only do cycling to stay healthy and keep my weight down. Even if sometime I would like to race in the Veteran D class which is 65 and over. I did won both the Canadian championship in the B class when I was 48 years old, in track and road. Keep cycling and be healhty.

Originally posted by Andy Lamarre
Where are you from. I am from Montreal, Canada. Did over 7,000 km this year even if I am still working 40 hours a week. I will be 69 in December this year and have raced until I was 51 years old. Course the weight of my bicycle does't mean much to me today as I only do cycling to stay healthy and keep my weight down. Even if sometime I would like to race in the Veteran D class which is 65 and over. I did won both the Canadian championship in the B class when I was 48 years old, in track and road. Keep cycling and be healhty.

I am from the Smoky Mtns. Gatlinburg Tn area close to Dollywood ,The Amusement Park, 30 mile east of Knoxville Tn. I am pretty much in the same situation.I work 40 plus hours and have too many hobbies. I was an addicted cyclist at one time, but when I got married I almost stopped 13 years ago.
I talked my wife into some new bike a year ago because she hated her old Peugeot she would not ride.We started back slowly. I thought my lungs were going to come out during my first ride. I had encountered some health problems maybe due to the loss of my son in a car accident. Cycling brought me back to a great lifestyle. I ride for the benefits of it and because I have alway loved it. I was a professional skier at one time but due to injuries gave it up.I do risk management in the ski business now.I am very proud of my wife she is an addict now and has hung in there with me. I probably criticize her rather than encourage all too often. Thanks for the response.

Originally posted by Randal Lovelace
I just weighed both of the bikes if have....

Huffy Blue Ridge 18sp MTB - 34 pounds.....

Lotus Elan 12sp Road bike - 25 pounds....

How much does the bike you ride weigh?

The lightest bike I have is my custom scandium with full Dura Ace and speedplay pedals. Even with the relatively heavy Mavic CXP 22 wheels, it comes in at 15.5 lbs

Originally posted by jhuskey
I also fell I deserve my carbon bike. I have ridden off and on for 25 years not counting my early youth. I will be 51 next month and with my wife ride four times a week (aboy 80 miles) on terrain that will rip your guts out. It is all mountains here with hills that seem to go on forever before you reach the top. I can't ride as I did 20 years ago on my old Trek 460 (around 200 mile a week then) but I give it hell anyway. I could care less who I offend because I have a better bike than they think I should have. I didn't buy it for someone else I bought it for me and as I said I have been at it for a while. I ride light with only a water bottle, no tools,no nothing just me and the bike.I ride for me and the enjoyment of it and try not to over analyze it. That will make you crazy and boring. The question was asked and answered Kg-261 with dura ace 15 lbs. Why that bother anyone?

Where I live now, the hills are wimpy. Use to live and train in British Columbia. Where the mountains would kill an old fart like you. 11-14km, 7-9% grade, and would take us 35-40 minutes to climb. We climbed these in our 39 without the need for a baby ring. Then again I was strong and able to.....

Memph

Originally posted by JimBallard
And while my fellow 40-something executive buddies
Hey I resemble that remark:D
Plus, I don’t golf. I don’t own a fishing boat. Cycling is my passion. And even buying the best equipment – and other accoutrement – doesn’t come close to what many average Joes plow into car hobbies or season tickets … or whatever.
Hey, I fish, golf sometimes, own 2 Corvettes and have NE patriots season tickets. You should meet my wife the saint:D

So fellow gear-heads, tell your spouses/significant others/self that you’ve chosen the best hobby on earth. It’s comparatively very cheap, even with a bike costing thousands. And we’ll live longer, healthier and happier lives.

Jim
Seattle, WA
I like the technolgy/gearhead stuff too:D

Originally posted by Memphmann
Where I live now, the hills are wimpy. Use to live and train in British Columbia. Where the mountains would kill an old fart like you. 11-14km, 7-9% grade, and would take us 35-40 minutes to climb. We climbed these in our 39 without the need for a baby ring. Then again I was strong and able to.....

Memph

Now wait a minute .I am in better shape than most men twice my age but I can't go all day as I did in my thirties. It takes all day to do what I used to all day.I can still average close to 20 mph over rolling hills for 20 or 30 miles if I push a little.If you want some climbs they are available in this area. Read up on the bridge to bridge race just the other side on the mountain in North Carolina. Now my friend and co-worker Thomas,who just got back from Switzerland. can climb. he has about .8 percent body fat and is I think 8 years older than me and still competes with some of the Swiss amateur teams when there.

Funny thing I am a CATV (Cable system) Engineer and I remember year ago working in the Smokey Mtns area. I had decided to stay there over night before a morning flight that would bring me back to Montreal. One person told me "do not stay there over night, you'll never be able to get out of there on time tomorrow due to fog" guest what I could not get out of there before 1.00 PM and miss my 10.45 flight. Good to ear you are in the ski biss. I am a full fledge ski instructor and teach skiiing every weekend and about 1 full month a year. My 19 year son is also a ski teacher and my 17 year old daughter is a snow board instructor also. My wife also ski but will never make any olympic team. We ski in a place call Mt Sutton which is 100 km east of Montreal. Funny thing about you wife and her bicycle, I got my wife a MARINONI made to measure about 16 years ago, I showed her how to pedal properly and she is still doing quite good.

http://www.montsutton.com

Regards
Andy Lamarre

Originally posted by Andy Lamarre
Funny thing I am a CATV (Cable system) Engineer and I remember year ago working in the Smokey Mtns area. I had decided to stay there over night before a morning flight that would bring me back to Montreal. One person told me "do not stay there over night, you'll never be able to get out of there on time tomorrow due to fog" guest what I could not get out of there before 1.00 PM and miss my 10.45 flight. Good to ear you are in the ski biss. I am a full fledge ski instructor and teach skiiing every weekend and about 1 full month a year. My 19 year son is also a ski teacher and my 17 year old daughter is a snow board instructor also. My wife also ski but will never make any olympic team. We ski in a place call Mt Sutton which is 100 km east of Montreal. Funny thing about you wife and her bicycle, I got my wife a MARINONI made to measure about 16 years ago, I showed her how to pedal properly and she is still doing quite good.

http://www.montsutton.com

Glad to hear you were in the area.
The ski business is interesting. I have been a PSIA affiliate before and involved with the National Ski Patrol previously as a member. Mostly just deal with law suits now.Maybe a good thing you never made the olympic team. Two of my friend were on the b team both injured badly enough to have to quit the team because of injuries during practice, but that was a long time ago.My wife was not really a serious cyclist until a year ago. I got her a Cannondale r900si. She loves it.The color is what is important you know.

]

Originally posted by jhuskey
Now wait a minute .I am in better shape than most men twice my age but I can't go all day as I did in my thirties. It takes all day to do what I used to all day.I can still average close to 20 mph over rolling hills for 20 or 30 miles if I push a little.If you want some climbs they are available in this area. Read up on the bridge to bridge race just the other side on the mountain in North Carolina. Now my friend and co-worker Thomas,who just got back from Switzerland. can climb. he has about .8 percent body fat and is I think 8 years older than me and still competes with some of the Swiss amateur teams when there.

Great to hear about your friend Thomas. What does he have to do with this? We were discussing you. Am sure he is a great climber. Not all old ppl are weak, just most. Just as you grow older, so comes the muscle loss and weakness. Am sure when I hit your age, I might need baby gears also. Would make it easier to catch those old ladies in walkers :)

At least you are out there cycling....

Memph

just got it off the LBS scale = 15 1/2lb (7kg)

wow! i don't deserve this =)

2003 giant composite tcr1 frame with
cinelli solido handlebars
easton composite seatpost
selle san marco seat
speedplay zero ti pedals
mavic ksyriums ssl sc wheelset
dura ace 2004 drive train and brakes