• 26 pounds or more

Votes: 371 28.5%

• Total voters
Originally posted by drewski
hopefully you've got that out of your system. take a look at this picture:
wherry0711.jpg

and another
triple0712.jpg

pros with a triple . . . and using it! they're from this year's San Francisco Grand Prix (aka T-Mobile International).

the horror!!

Thanx for the pics. From the look of this guy, he requires a triple. His legs look weak, still fat on them. When does this race occur?

Heck, anyone can use a triple. Just there was no need for them before and the Pro's shouldn't need them now. I know, I sure don't......

Memph

Originally posted by Memphmann
Thanx for the pics. From the look of this guy, he requires a triple. His legs look weak, still fat on them. When does this race occur?

Heck, anyone can use a triple. Just there was no need for them before and the Pro's shouldn't need them now. I know, I sure don't......

Memph

This was just in September. It's a pro only race which I think only about 50 pros finished out of about 140 who started.

That's a 21% grade he's climbing, btw, which goes for about 4 blocks. They hit this 8 times and then a shorter 2 block hill with about the same grade maybe 13 times?

It was eye-opening to see some of the "slacker-pros" zig-zaging up the hill in their 39x26. That started happening like on the 3rd lap of 8.

2004 Trek 8000 21-1/2" frame with rear luggage rack and airfree Unidirectional tires weighs 30 lb on my bathroom scale.

Airfree tires are made of polyurethane microfoam and cannot go flat or blowout.

What is the weight of your bike with pneumatic tires plus pump, extra folding tire, new tube, and tube repair kit?

This was just in September. It's a pro only race which I think only about 50 pros finished out of about 140 who started.

That's a 21% grade he's climbing, btw, which goes for about 4 blocks. They hit this 8 times and then a shorter 2 block hill with about the same grade maybe 13 times?

It was eye-opening to see some of the "slacker-pros" zig-zaging up the hill in their 39x26. That started happening like on the 3rd lap of 8.
I was at the SF Grand Prix; it's a great event. There are two monster climbs, leading up Filmore St. and later Taylor St. (21% and 18% climbs, respectively, I think). There were definitely 3 or 4 guys on triples, but then again, there were guys on triples for last year's Giro as well.

Postal was there for the second (or was it third?) year in a row; Lance, for the second consecutive time, wasn't healthy enough to finish. Saeco was there; there were Simoni fans around. In the end, it was a handful of Div3 American teams that put the most into the race -- Jittery Joes, Clif Bar Sierra Nevada, and, of course, Saturn Timex. The SF GP is a major season goal for the big D3 teams these days.

Originally posted by vlad
What is the weight of your bike with pneumatic tires plus pump, extra folding tire, new tube, and tube repair kit?

i just leach off my ride mates! ;)

tube: ~80g
zefal mini-pump: 85g
patch kit, tire boot & levers: ?
ritchey mini-multi-tool: ?
saddle bag: ?

total, maybe 1 to 1 1/2 lbs? to my bike weight.

21%, that is some grade. Just that dudes legs looked weak. Then again, this is an American race. On the average, the riders who show at these races are weak then the average European racers. Thatis why when they travel over here, they kick ****. Can remember yrs ago, Walton came over for a PRO race in Winnipeg. It was the "Canadian Tire", sponsed race, thathad different stops in major Canada cities. Walton lapped the entire pack twice in a crit. Bauer would destroy the field also in other stops.

Sad, how weak most pro American racers are compared to Europe racers.....

Memph

Originally posted by lokstah
I was at the SF Grand Prix; it's a great event. There are two monster climbs, leading up Filmore St. and later Taylor St. (21% and 18% climbs, respectively, I think). There were definitely 3 or 4 guys on triples, but then again, there were guys on triples for last year's Giro as well.

Postal was there for the second (or was it third?) year in a row; Lance, for the second consecutive time, wasn't healthy enough to finish. Saeco was there; there were Simoni fans around. In the end, it was a handful of Div3 American teams that put the most into the race -- Jittery Joes, Clif Bar Sierra Nevada, and, of course, Saturn Timex. The SF GP is a major season goal for the big D3 teams these days.

What a race the great LA could not finish. That shocks me so. If it has nothing to do with the TdF, he sucks. That is why he shall never be greatest rider ever. If he ever had to race and entire, he would die.....

Memph

Without pedals, computer and bottle cages, myTitanium Merlin Agilus weighs in at a svelte 16.5 lbs (7.85 kg) :D

Originally posted by Memphmann
Sad, how weak most pro American racers are compared to Europe racers.....
It definitely remains a Euro-dominated sport, which is a little disappointing to us American race fans. As far as the SF GP is concerned, though, USPS may have blown, but those scrappy American D3 teams gave Saeco and Telekom a run for their money -- and the race was won, after all, by Chris Horner of Saturn.

Woo hoo!

802C8845.jpg

Fondriest Carbon Lex (Med)+ Campagnolo Record 10s + Alloy Cranks and Ksyrium wheelset = 8.0kg

Classic Schwinn Surburban with rare factory drop bars: 32 lbs

Univega city bike for winter night time riding: 32 lbs. (1.5 lb battery)

Next Bike: Road bike sub 19 lbs. Anyone have one for sale?

Be a man - Ride when the temperature is the same as your bike weight!

Originally posted by copywrites
Classic Schwinn Surburban with rare factory drop bars: 32 lbs

Univega city bike for winter night time riding: 32 lbs. (1.5 lb battery)

Next Bike: Road bike sub 19 lbs. Anyone have one for sale?

Be a man - Ride when the temperature is the same as your bike weight!

So what am I? I ride in sub-zero temperatures. Do they make a bike that lite???

Memph

Originally posted by blip
Eddy merckx Team SC - 83 kilograms ( including me which is quite important tee hee )
It staggers me how many people get fixated with 50 grams here and there when a water bottle is 1 Kilo and you may be 2 or 3 kilos overweight.

Well, I have completely changed the way i eat, trying to eat no more than 2000 calories a day, even when i ride long... I am really about 25 pounds over my perfect wieght, and i figure losing the wieght will be cheaper than all the titanium or carbon parts/bike. Plus, it's healthier for me to lose the wieght. But the biggest reason I've started is that I want to be a better climber. If I stay at 175 pounds, but get a 15 pound bike, I'm worse off than being 150 pounds and having a 20 pound bike. If I save 20 pounds in the end, it applies to everything else i do, not just cycling. Remember, lance was a much heftier rider before the cancer and chemo. He was a triathlete for several years. Afterwards, when he built back up, he was much much lighter, and even credits the lighter wieght to giving him that edge on climbing that he needs. If I want to get better, nothing will substitute to being on my bike and staying on top of my diet. I would take a 30 pound road bike right now, if i could wake up with 25 pounds missing tomorrow. Don't obsess about the bike, obsess over your wieght to be lost from your body! I can assure you that many folks who buy all these lightwieght parts could achieve much more solid gains by getting very serious with diet and using self discipline to get out there and ride. Even a easy ride will burn more calories than just sitting around comparing gram wieghts of different parts... I can't wait till i lose the wieght and drop folks on better bikes(i have an giant ocr3). It will totally make my day.

Cecil

Originally posted by Xeys
Well, I have completely changed the way i eat, trying to eat no more than 2000 calories a day, even when i ride long... I am really about 25 pounds over my perfect wieght, and i figure losing the wieght will be cheaper than all the titanium or carbon parts/bike. Plus, it's healthier for me to lose the wieght. But the biggest reason I've started is that I want to be a better climber. If I stay at 175 pounds, but get a 15 pound bike, I'm worse off than being 150 pounds and having a 20 pound bike. If I save 20 pounds in the end, it applies to everything else i do, not just cycling. Remember, lance was a much heftier rider before the cancer and chemo. He was a triathlete for several years. Afterwards, when he built back up, he was much much lighter, and even credits the lighter wieght to giving him that edge on climbing that he needs. If I want to get better, nothing will substitute to being on my bike and staying on top of my diet. I would take a 30 pound road bike right now, if i could wake up with 25 pounds missing tomorrow. Don't obsess about the bike, obsess over your wieght to be lost from your body! I can assure you that many folks who buy all these lightwieght parts could achieve much more solid gains by getting very serious with diet and using self discipline to get out there and ride. Even a easy ride will burn more calories than just sitting around comparing gram wieghts of different parts... I can't wait till i lose the wieght and drop folks on better bikes(i have an giant ocr3). It will totally make my day.

Cecil

You are totally correct. But easier for the average middle age over weight dude to purchase an expensive bike/equipment than lose weight. Easier to show off fancy equipment than great physical form. Harder to be committed enough to get time on bike to get great form. But any fat person can walk into BS and purchase an expensive bike.

I finally got back on bike after 6 yrs & knee operations. Made my custom built 8spd STI Gardin 29lbs lighter by losing that weight in 7 weeks. Easier for me than purchasing expensive equipment.

Try riding in morning before you eat. That is how I shed so much useless fat.....

Memph

My wife which is a cannondale cad2 beast of the east is about 12 kgs whcih makes it almost 26 pounds?But though,just adding some weight to it coz of the pathetic drivers in singapore who dun even give a damn bout the riders especially the bus drivers...Arghz...Just to be sure that i won't get into trouble with those turbulance and stuff.

Well, on my quest to lose wieght to become a lighter(and hopefully better), I am doing the following. Please feel free to comment or advise...

I wear my heart rate monitor when i ride. When I am done, I eat no more calories than I burned on the ride. If I don't ride that day, I eat only 1000 calories. I am taking a multivitamin, and I try to eat 1 can of tuna every day. I am eating rice with salt and pepper, single serving non-sugary cereals with sugar free sweetner, tons of water, and starting and ending every ride with 5 miles of hills... This should work, right? I am also eating only the white when I eat eggs, and I am careful to avoid things that have hydrogenated or partialy hydrogenated fats. Oh yea, I'm also eating oatmeat and measuring my sauce on rice. Like I use a 1/2 cup measure of plain tomatoe sauce on my rice. The rice is boil in a bag, and is always the same number of calories. I'm also working on trying to finish every hill I climb... even if I have to get out of the saddle. I really want to be a better climber. Will my diet and such that I have mentioned here work for me? Is there such a thing as eating too low fat? or eating too much tuna? Are diet sodas ok?

Cecil

Originally posted by Xeys
Well, on my quest to lose wieght to become a lighter(and hopefully better), I am doing the following. Please feel free to comment or advise...

I wear my heart rate monitor when i ride. When I am done, I eat no more calories than I burned on the ride. If I don't ride that day, I eat only 1000 calories. I am taking a multivitamin, and I try to eat 1 can of tuna every day. I am eating rice with salt and pepper, single serving non-sugary cereals with sugar free sweetner, tons of water, and starting and ending every ride with 5 miles of hills... This should work, right? I am also eating only the white when I eat eggs, and I am careful to avoid things that have hydrogenated or partialy hydrogenated fats. Oh yea, I'm also eating oatmeat and measuring my sauce on rice. Like I use a 1/2 cup measure of plain tomatoe sauce on my rice. The rice is boil in a bag, and is always the same number of calories. I'm also working on trying to finish every hill I climb... even if I have to get out of the saddle. I really want to be a better climber. Will my diet and such that I have mentioned here work for me? Is there such a thing as eating too low fat? or eating too much tuna? Are diet sodas ok?

Cecil

Each diet for each person is different. You are taking the more extreme approach. If this works for you then great.

As for myself, I lost all that weight just by eating better. No more junk food like chips, pop, cake, etc. Everytime I felt hungry, drank a liter of H2O. Rode 4-5 hours everyday on an empty stomach. That just had smaller portions for meals. Then I would reward myself with snacks. If you attempt to forget your cravings. The diet shall never work.

Just what I did, lost almost 27-29lbs in 7 weeks. This may or may not help you.....

Memph