Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 16-20 pounds

Votes: 120 9.2%
  • 21-25 pounds

Votes: 810 62.3%
  • 26 pounds or more

Votes: 371 28.5%

• Total voters
Aegis aero svelt/recordset up w/shimano pedals weighing in at 17 pounds before water

Originally posted by Madone
current bike Trek 5500 7.7kg
just placed an order for new bike to replace this Trek Madone 5.9 with full Dura-Ace Mavic Ksyriums ITM Unika/Uniko bar stem USE Ailen seat post SLR saddle 6.5kg
UCI min weight for a road bike is 6.8kg I think....

well i have a caad 5 frame with full carbon forks and the new 10speed dura ace and it comes in at 6.53kg not bad could be better.

Progear Hardtail .... 25lbs

My new Giant NRS 3... Mostly stock... 3 days old..... 31lbs ... will decrease soon.

Huh? I just weighed my Colnago C40, Chorus, Proton wheels (about 1650g, I think), 275g pedals, SLK saddle, mini tool bag (maybe 200g), and stubby Cinelli Spinache aero bars. It weighs 19.8lbs. !!!!!!!!!

My Cervelo Soloist, Veloce, Spartacus Pro wheels (1800g), Fizik Aliante, 300g pedals weighs a touch over 20lbs.

How the HECK are the rest of you clocking in at 15, 16, 18 lbs? If I went to Kysriums, dropped the tool bag, and um, um, that's all I could do really, I would still be at 19 lbs. I don't get it.

Unless my scale has some kind of anomalous measurement between 156lbs (me) and 176 lbs... :)

Originally posted by Aztec
Huh? I just weighed my Colnago C40, Chorus, Proton wheels (about 1650g, I think), 275g pedals, SLK saddle, mini tool bag (maybe 200g), and stubby Cinelli Spinache aero bars. It weighs 19.8lbs. !!!!!!!!!

My Cervelo Soloist, Veloce, Spartacus Pro wheels (1800g), Fizik Aliante, 300g pedals weighs a touch over 20lbs.

How the HECK are the rest of you clocking in at 15, 16, 18 lbs? If I went to Kysriums, dropped the tool bag, and um, um, that's all I could do really, I would still be at 19 lbs. I don't get it.

Unless my scale has some kind of anomalous measurement between 156lbs (me) and 176 lbs... :)

Theyre weight weenies. ;) They would probably faint if they saw my tiagra crank. :eek:

My $500 Allez Sport is 20lbs. :(

Ya have to really want it, Aztec... you have to be a touch obsessive about your parts selection. Moreover, you have to pick up a frame from a manufacturer that's also obsessive (for better or worse) about weight savings. Colnagos are gorgeous, classic, high-performance works of art, and they're not heavy bikes, but they don't cater to the weenie contingent. A 54cm C40 is, what, 3.4 lbs?

Light, but not goofy light. Snag a 2-2.5 lbs frame, slightly lighter wheels, some Speedplays and bingo, you're there. If you care.

Originally posted by lokstah
Ya have to really want it, Aztec... you have to be a touch obsessive about your parts selection. Moreover, you have to pick up a frame from a manufacturer that's also obsessive (for better or worse) about weight savings. Colnagos are gorgeous, classic, high-performance works of art, and they're not heavy bikes, but they don't cater to the weenie contingent. A 54cm C40 is, what, 3.4 lbs?

Light, but not goofy light. Snag a 2-2.5 lbs frame, slightly lighter wheels, some Speedplays and bingo, you're there. If you care.

But... but... but... how is this possible? How can a $500 Specialized be within a half pound? And I thought C40s were on the light end? Same for the Cervelo. What you suggest would only trim 2 lbs, and I'd still be at about 18lbs.

I'm not a weight weenie (I don't need to be at 156lbs bodyweight), but I DID spend a fortune on those 300g carbon Looks!

Well, let's see... let's take a basic accounting of, say, the following weights -- frame, seatpost, pedals, and wheels. Just as a core figure for stuff we can easily gather data on. My bike comes in at just over 16.5 lbs. Let's see how things add up... I've grabbed the following numbers from all over the place; let me know if any seem way off.

FRAME and FORK:
1500g, 57cm C40 (a guess -- weight weenies lists a 53cm at 1215. see the c50 thread for the debate)
1280, 57cm Klein QPro

SEATPOST:
180g, Colnago Carbon
149g, USE Alien Ti Road

WHEELS:
1650g, Protons
1510g, 2004 Ksyrium SLs

PEDALS:
300g, your Looks
164g, Speedplay Zero Ti

So far, you're at 3,630g, or 8 lbs, and my build is at 3103, or 6.8 lbs. Ok, so this doesn't make the issues particularly obvious, but it does begin to illustrate that as you combine and combine, selecting for part after part that saves 50g over the next option can add up to a bike 1, 2, 3, or more pounds lighter.

Still, understand that I'm scratcing my head over how Azulene, above, has built an unnamed Orbea to 14 lbs...

Dang, I KNEW that $200 Colnago post was a ripoff! :)

OK, so I'm getting spanked on that stuff. BUT, Campy Chorus has to be fairly light and not giving away much. Or is it? And then there's the pedals thing... Speedplay is cheating. Ya gotta count the cleat/locking mechanism, which puts it as chunky as the Looks (2nd biggest ripoff, beaten only by that damn seatpost). Your 1.2lbs has just closed to more like 1lb.

I have a Ritchey WCS stem which is about 110g. 240g bars. A minimalist SLK saddle (an Aliante on the other bike).

So I'm scratching my head over how you could get down into the 17s, let alone the 16s!

Both my bikes are fat!

Dang, I KNEW that $200 Colnago post was a ripoff! :)

OK, so I'm getting spanked on that stuff. BUT, Campy Chorus has to be fairly light and not giving away much. Or is it? And then there's the pedals thing... Speedplay is cheating. Ya gotta count the cleat/locking mechanism, which puts it as chunky as the Looks (2nd biggest ripoff, beaten only by that damn seatpost). Your 1.2lbs has just closed to more like 1lb.

I have a Ritchey WCS stem which is about 110g. 240g bars. A minimalist SLK saddle (an Aliante on the other bike).

So I'm scratching my head over how you could get down into the 17s, let alone the 16s!

Both my bikes are fat!
So it's a mystery! Mysteries are the spice of life!

Ok, bottle cages. I'm using Tacx Taos, which are pretty friggin' light. Saved a few more grams with 3T More carbon bars, at 210g. Oh, Salsa Ti skewers -- 85g for the pair. You got some back on me with the stem; my Deda Einstein weighs 15 more grams than your Ritchey. Sheesh, I don't know.

Maybe the difference is in the scale. I've weighed mine on two different shop scales, so I'm confident about the figure. Maybe you're weighing these bikes on a scale which is off (GASP!) 1 or 2 lbs. Maybe your scale is situated in a gravity vortex.

Oh, and you're totally right about the Speedplay thing, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Them cleats just aren't on the bike. In other words, if we ever raced up a hill with no shoes on, I'd beat ya by a mile.

;)

Huh? I just weighed my Colnago C40, Chorus, Proton wheels (about 1650g, I think), 275g pedals, SLK saddle, mini tool bag (maybe 200g), and stubby Cinelli Spinache aero bars. It weighs 19.8lbs. !!!!!!!!!...How the HECK are the rest of you clocking in at 15, 16, 18 lbs?

Compared to my 53cm '03 Bianchi EV4 at 15.6lbs...

Your frameset is ~200g heavier

Your wheelset (Proton vs, Hyperon) is ~400g heavier and your clincher tires/tubes/tape probably tack on some extra

Your pedals (Looks vs. Campy Record) ~60g

Your saddle (SLK vs. SLR) ~50

Groupset parts (Chorus vs. Record) ~150g or so

My two bottle cages weigh only ~50g together, and I'm not lugging aerobars and a 'mini tool set'.

Anyway, this is off the cuff and equates to well over 1000g right there, which is ~2.5lbs. I'm sure there are a few other odds and ends as well.

Unfortunately, that last 3 lbs. or so is expensive!

Originally posted by boyRacer
wow... some of you guys are really obsessed with this... lol...

Nah. Just feeling like I spent a lot of money and got poor value (since expensive SHOULD mean quality which SHOULD also mean light weight).

Ted, thanks for the example. Hmmm. Makes sense. I KNEW I shoulda bought Campy pedals... lighter, cheaper, and just plain old cool. Damn.

Lokstah, I hope my scale's right. I'd hate to think *I* weigh anything less. I'm pitifully skinny enough at 156-158lbs.

My Bianchi XL EV4 weighs 6.9kg with Record, Ksyrium etc. and my Specialized Allez with Tiagra weighs 10.1kg.

Originally posted by boyRacer
wow... some of you guys are really obsessed with this... lol...
Nah. Just like Aztec, when it came time to put lots of money into a sexy ride, I just went a little out of my way to get the coolest stuff that I could. Making it light was one of many casually pursued objectives in my head as I bought parts.

I'd never sat down and actually added up grams until Aztec started whining about his Colnago (sorry, Aztec).

On the coolness-note, Aztec, it sounds like your bike is clearly, undeniably, painfully sexy, if a few grams portlier than others. Like Marylin Monroe. Enjoy it, and leave this thread behind you...

Originally posted by lokstah
So it's a mystery! Mysteries are the spice of life!

Ok, bottle cages. I'm using Tacx Taos, which are pretty friggin' light. Saved a few more grams with 3T More carbon bars, at 210g. Oh, Salsa Ti skewers -- 85g for the pair. You got some back on me with the stem; my Deda Einstein weighs 15 more grams than your Ritchey. Sheesh, I don't know.

Maybe the difference is in the scale. I've weighed mine on two different shop scales, so I'm confident about the figure. Maybe you're weighing these bikes on a scale which is off (GASP!) 1 or 2 lbs. Maybe your scale is situated in a gravity vortex.

Oh, and you're totally right about the Speedplay thing, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Them cleats just aren't on the bike. In other words, if we ever raced up a hill with no shoes on, I'd beat ya by a mile.

;)

Whenever someone is going on about the light wieght of their Speedplay pedals I tell them that they're so light because "the rest" of the pedal gets screwed to the bottom of their shoe! :D

Originally posted by ALAN OBRIEN
I JUST CHECKED HOW MUCH MY BIKE WILL WEIGH WHEN I GET IT. I CHECKED IT ON WWW.WRENCHSCIENCE.COM.
ITS A 57CM COLNAGO ACTIVE WITH ULTEGRA AND KSYRIUM SSC SL, TOTAL WEIGHT FOR BIKE INCLUDING PEDALS, 17.3lbs.

Once you have the bike completely assembled will you be able to get an accurate weight on it? It would be very interesting to see how the actual weight compares to the calculated wieght.