How much faster does equipment make you?

kkunitak

Sep 4, 2004
Hi all,
Well, I've been riding around Philadelphia for the past couple of years, pretty much converted completely from mountain biking, and ride about 1000 miles per year. I mostly look at cycling as a good cardio workout and much more fun than running. I'm not planning on entering any races or anything, but want to go a little faster.

Currently I ride at 19-20 mph on flats, no wind, not drafting, according to my handlebar mounted gps. I'd like to go faster, obviously ;) and I know my equipment is slowing me down.

This morning I was riding on West River (for those from Philly) and I tried keeping up with this guy with aerobars... I managed to stay with him for 4 miles (not drafting) at 22-22.5 mph, and then he dropped me like a bad habit.

So I'd like to know how much faster I could be with better equipment.

Here's what I have (remember, I ride for the cardio workout so I am not aerodynamic in the least.)

Bike:
Trek 1000C (yes, 'comfort', so it's not the fastest bike in the world. I'm kind of regretting that I didn't get a non-comfort bike, but from mountain biking I didn't want to be bent over so much).
Pedals: clipless, shimano, for mountain bikes (took em off my mt bike)
Shoes: mtbike clipless shoes
Handlebar: GPS mount (garmin e-trex- probably 1inch by 2 inches by 4 inches). Also front reflector (yes, I probably should take that off)

Helmet: mtbike helmet with visor (too cheap/poor to buy another racing helmet)

Clothing:
Top: cheap REI cycling jersey
Bottom: REI convertible pants (just the shorts part)
(http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47691289&parent_category_rn=4501397&vcat=REI_SEARCH)

Basically, I'd like to know how much faster I would be (From 20mph) if I

1. got a road bike, maybe 1000$ bike or so
2. wore a racing helmet
3. wore bike shorts
4. changed to clipless pedals (road)
5. took off my handlebar gps

Thanks.

forgot to add that when I ride on closed roads (in Philly they close down a 6 mile or so section of road on weekends) I wear a camelback with a cd player in it.

Basically I look exactly like a mountain biker, but with a road bike underneath me ;)

kkunitak said:
Hi all, Basically, I'd like to know how much faster I would be (From 20mph) if I

2. wore a racing helmet
3. wore bike shorts

Thanks.
Well cannot tell you exactly how much faster you would be going! :rolleyes: But if you get a road bike, with road tires (23mm max) and it is well fitted for you, along with nice cycling pants (these will not make you much more aerodynamic, but will improve comfort, making it possible for you to train longer and harder, ergo going faster), you WILL go noticeably faster. If you are already riding clipless it will not make much of a difference (ok road clipless tend to have wider surfaces for your foot to ' push' on, but lots of roadies ride mtb clipless for the comfort and ease of walking and it does not slow them down).

A helmet is good for your health, but you will not go faster with one on. And if you are considering shedding the weight of your gps, be honest and consider your belly first!

Enjoy the riding, obviously you are catching the 'road bug'! :cool:

It is not that you would ride faster, but rather be able to ride at the 20-22 mph for a whole lot longer. I ride at 20 mph for about 20 miles, and then ride longer at a slower speed. Over
60 miles I average about 17 mph and that includes doing hills.
--Jeff

Equipment in relation to speed increase is all relative and marginal. However, a lightweight, high quality wheelset is still the best performance increase dollar for dollar, gram fo gram.

Bottom line: It's the human engine, not the bike that makes the rider. Any pro rider would still ride the replica team shorts off all of us with a $500 bike, and us on a $5000 bike. Nice to have a bling-bling carbon bike, but don't get passed by the guy on the 10 y/o steel bike.

T72

kkunitak said:
Hi all,
Well, I've been riding around Philadelphia for the past couple of years, pretty much converted completely from mountain biking, and ride about 1000 miles per year. I mostly look at cycling as a good cardio workout and much more fun than running. I'm not planning on entering any races or anything, but want to go a little faster.

Currently I ride at 19-20 mph on flats, no wind, not drafting, according to my handlebar mounted gps. I'd like to go faster, obviously ;) and I know my equipment is slowing me down.

This morning I was riding on West River (for those from Philly) and I tried keeping up with this guy with aerobars... I managed to stay with him for 4 miles (not drafting) at 22-22.5 mph, and then he dropped me like a bad habit.

So I'd like to know how much faster I could be with better equipment.

Here's what I have (remember, I ride for the cardio workout so I am not aerodynamic in the least.)

Bike:
Trek 1000C (yes, 'comfort', so it's not the fastest bike in the world. I'm kind of regretting that I didn't get a non-comfort bike, but from mountain biking I didn't want to be bent over so much).
Pedals: clipless, shimano, for mountain bikes (took em off my mt bike)
Shoes: mtbike clipless shoes
Handlebar: GPS mount (garmin e-trex- probably 1inch by 2 inches by 4 inches). Also front reflector (yes, I probably should take that off)

Helmet: mtbike helmet with visor (too cheap/poor to buy another racing helmet)

Clothing:
Top: cheap REI cycling jersey
Bottom: REI convertible pants (just the shorts part)
(http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47691289&parent_category_rn=4501397&vcat=REI_SEARCH)

Basically, I'd like to know how much faster I would be (From 20mph) if I

2. wore a racing helmet
3. wore bike shorts

Thanks.

The cheapest way to get faster is to train to ride fast. Adding interval training, strength work, and increasing your anaerobic threshold and VO2 Max will add way more speed than any equipment you can buy. Taking the money that you would spend on high-end equipment will net more improvements in speed if spent on some quality coaching-or if you are disciplined and a somewhat experienced, one of the several books on training for racing that are out there. Your cardio workout will improve as well as you improve your overall fitness.

That being said, you do not have a really fast bike and the other suggestions would give you a small amount of instant speed.

weight is ONLY an issue on hills, unless you're talking about a weight difference of 20lbs+ -- even then, the difference is tiny

"Speed and Power" calculator:
http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

According to this calculator, if you pumped out 250 watts on flat ground, changing from a MTB to a "racing" bike with your hands on the brake hoods, you would gain 1.2 mph. However, as soon as you reach down to the drops on the handle bars, the speed increases by 3.8 mph over the MTB.

It's difficult to quantify, but the only real speed difference on flat ground would be made by changing the tyres. You'll definitely feel faster on a fancy new bike, especially when accelerating, but the actual speed difference would be very small.

weight is ONLY an issue on hills, unless you're talking about a weight difference of 20lbs+ -- even then, the difference is tiny

According to this calculator, if you pumped out 250 watts on flat ground, changing from a MTB to a "racing" bike with your hands on the brake hoods, you would gain 1.2 mph -- most of which is probably due to the tyre difference. However, as soon as you reach down to the drops on the handle bars, obviously improving your aerodynamics, the speed increases by 3.8 mph over the MTB.

531Aussie said:

According to this calculator, if you pumped out 250 watts on flat ground, changing from a MTB to a "racing" bike with your hands on the brake hoods, you would gain 1.2 mph -- most of which is probably due to the tyre difference. However, as soon as you reach down to the drops on the handle bars, obviously improving your aerodynamics, the speed increases by 3.8 mph over the MTB.
That calculator sounds awful goofy. My 16 pound road bike with 23mm tires and bigger gearing is only good for a mile more an hour than my 28 pound full suspension mountain bike? Something does not compute (plus my MTB tires are wider than the 1.75 inch tires they limit you to...) I'm calling no way.

That would've been on flat ground

Sorry to break it to ya, but weight is NOTHING on flat ground. except maybe for quick accelerations

This guy just broke the hour record on a 9.8kg (21.6 lb) steel bike!!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2005/jul05/jul19news6

sosenka3.jpg

http://www.radio.cz/en/article/68724