How much faster will I go ...

MrCjolsen

Jun 20, 2004
Presently my situation is this:

I ride about 50 to 60 miles a week, which includes a couple of 12.5 mile commutes each week.

My bike is a 1998 Canondale F-500 mountain bike. It weighs about 29 lbs and everything is stock except for Welgo clipless pedals and Nimbus EX tires. I pump the tires to their full 85 psi. I've done everything I can to make this MTB go fast on pavement except for getting some 100 psi tires.

I can hold about 20 mph when it's calm and the ground is flat. I seem to be getting faster with each commute.

My question is this: HOW MUCH FASTER would I be on a road bke?

To give you a figure that you will go X miles per hour faster would probably be a lie. But you would go a LOT faster than the bike you described if you switched to even a touring bike to commute on. The increased efficiency of the size of the tires and the reduced rolling resistance of a good 700x28 tire along with a more efficient and aerodynamic position COULD mean 2mph. A racing bike would be even faster but carrying things on your commute would involve either a messanger bag or backpack, both of which bother me too much to ride comfortably.

I got back on the road on a MTB with slicks. When I bought a dedicated road bike, one that was pretty well equipped (carbon frame, Campy Chorus group), I'd say that I saw an immediate increase of 2mph or so.

What can't be measured as easily is the increase in comfort and ergonomics. Compared to the MTB, the road bike feels like a Ferrari - responsive, tight shifting, and crisp handling, while the mtb feels more like a truck.

The road bike may have been only around 2mph faster, but it felt about 20 mph faster. The seating position is also more suited to very long rides, not as upright but far more comfortable after an hour or two.

MrCjolsen said:
Presently my situation is this:

I ride about 50 to 60 miles a week, which includes a couple of 12.5 mile commutes each week.

My bike is a 1998 Canondale F-500 mountain bike. It weighs about 29 lbs and everything is stock except for Welgo clipless pedals and Nimbus EX tires. I pump the tires to their full 85 psi. I've done everything I can to make this MTB go fast on pavement except for getting some 100 psi tires.

I can hold about 20 mph when it's calm and the ground is flat. I seem to be getting faster with each commute.

My question is this: HOW MUCH FASTER would I be on a road bke?

Well, I went from a MTB to a Road Bike about a year ago, the difference is like night and Day...the first thing you'll notice is that they accelerate a lot quicker and freewheel further...they're also a lot more comfortable because not all your weight is on your Butt...plus you can alter riding positions with drop handle bars..which is nice on longer rides...

Sounds like you have some good base miles...once you get used to the new riding position of a road bike, which feels completely wierd at first, you'll notice a huge difference...how much faster will you go?? That's hard to say...let us know!!
:)