How Much Garlic Can You Eat?

Stop press - I'm feeling unwell. Woke up today not feeling right, like my body's fighting something. I may have picked up a cold or a flu bug. If that's the case, I won't be riding my bike tomorrow and will have to take a week out. I feel like I've picked something up but maybe it will pass out of my system before it can really nail me.
I dislike being ill. :( Garlic may help your health but is no absolute cure for everything.

Carrera said:
I forgot to share that every Winter, in order not to catch colds and miss training, I consume portentious quantities of raw garlic. ;)
I wonder if you folks have tried it since it seems to work. I can't recall the last time I had a winter cold, except maybe a minor sniffle. :)
Here is my method for ingesting the stuff:
(1)Peel a clover of raw garlic and chop it into tablet sized pieces with a knife.
(2)Fill a glass with lucozade.
(3) Place the garlic on your tongue :( , swig a gulp of lucozade and swallow it all down. :D
(4) Repeat the process.

Personally I take a couple of juicy cloves, smash them with my fist - take off the skin, mix the mushed bits with some honey, chew it lots and then swallow it. Works a treat on sore throats, but kills your social life stone dead. Not particularly bothered by the taste to tell the truth, I'm sure I've eaten worse at Pizzahut many many moons ago. :p

Just been through the worst 48 hours of illness I can ever recall. I had to leave work early Monday morning but didn't have the strength to ride my bike back home up the smallest of gradients, only roll downhill. I was shaking with fever. Then I collapsed into bed and spent the rest of the day throwing up or stuck on the toilet.
I abstained from all solid food and just consumed glucose and flu remedies. My bowels were totally out of control. At one point I was hallucinating and the bed soaked in sweat.
I now seem to be over it and the fever has passed. I've either suffered the nastiest case of food poisoning I can ever recall or it was some kind of toxic flu virus.
Still, it's taken me 3 days to shake it off which isn't so bad. I reckon I'll be able to eat my first meal tonight and hopefully be back on my bike again once the snow has cleared.

Carrera said:
Just been through the worst 48 hours of illness I can ever recall. I had to leave work early Monday morning but didn't have the strength to ride my bike back home up the smallest of gradients, only roll downhill. I was shaking with fever. Then I collapsed into bed and spent the rest of the day throwing up or stuck on the toilet.
I abstained from all solid food and just consumed glucose and flu remedies. My bowels were totally out of control. At one point I was hallucinating and the bed soaked in sweat.
I now seem to be over it and the fever has passed. I've either suffered the nastiest case of food poisoning I can ever recall or it was some kind of toxic flu virus.
Still, it's taken me 3 days to shake it off which isn't so bad. I reckon I'll be able to eat my first meal tonight and hopefully be back on my bike again once the snow has cleared.
I hope it wasn't garlic poisoning...

Carrera said:
It's best skipped on a date or in female company. I've already had complaints over my habit.
I've tried the raw garlic with red wine as well as guiness. It's better with a milky vitamin drink or some lucozade or something. Then you don't taste it much.
Another good thing about garlic is it's linked to the greatly reduced cancer index in those countries where garlic forms part of the staple diet. I also found in my reading that a very typical breakfast of the Romans consisted of a basic slice of bread, rubbed with a clove or two of garlic.
And finally.......
Some medics believe garlic increases libido and makes on a better lover so that's good news for the wife.
You're not married.

Cannibal2 said:
I hope it wasn't garlic poisoning...
I was rather hoping it was any type of fatal poisoning, especially aids from his compulsory HM Greeks. Now lissen up, it's mince pies for the HM.s. and the leather clad rear tail gunners. Sherry for Mother Xmas, and Whisky for Father Xmas, and keep the reindeers bums covered, we don't want **** on the presents.

FredC said:
I was rather hoping it was any type of fatal poisoning, especially aids from his compulsory HM Greeks. Now lissen up, it's mince pies for the HM.s. and the leather clad rear tail gunners. Sherry for Mother Xmas, and Whisky for Father Xmas, and keep the reindeers bums covered, we don't want **** on the presents.
You've lost me.

FredC said:
Non Capisco ?

:confused:

FredC said:
Jeez, it's not too difficult is it? HM's are homosexuals. Mincing is their exaggerated syle of walking, or deportment. A leather clad rear tail gunner is aiming for your ass. And finally if the rear tail gunners miss their target, take care of the animals.

FredC said:
We have an Englishmen, a Tennessee Volunteer and a Californian who do not understand what the Irishmen is saying. Translation please (or maybe not).

How does this relate to Garlic ?

:D

I'm beginning to think that maybe I poisoned myself with a dodgy clove. I think I'll chuck it in the bin and buy a fresh batch. Maybe I should keep the stuff refrigerated in future just in case.
It was either that or the chicken tikka kebab.

lwedge said:
We have an Englishmen, a Tennessee Volunteer and a Californian who do not understand what the Irishmen is saying. Translation please (or maybe not).

How does this relate to Garlic ?

:D

FredC said:
Jeez, it's not too difficult is it? HM's are homosexuals. Mincing is their exaggerated syle of walking, or deportment. A leather clad rear tail gunner is aiming for your ass. And finally if the rear tail gunners miss their target, take care of the animals.
Rrrrright. Okay, disregard my other post then.

lwedge said:
Rrrrright. Okay, disregard my other post then.
I just bought fresh garlic tonight......And as the old Greek guy taught me, garlic keeps it up. And I know several old greek guys who still can get it up for their girlfriends in their 70's...... Garlic is to be kept in the open air. It sounds as if you has food poisoning.

FredC said:
A non-sequitur then.

Carrera said:
I'm beginning to think that maybe I poisoned myself with a dodgy clove. I think I'll chuck it in the bin and buy a fresh batch. Maybe I should keep the stuff refrigerated in future just in case.
It was either that or the chicken tikka kebab.
My money would be on the kebab.
Since FC has managed to convince himself that you are an **** pirate, on the flimliest of evidence that you seem to admire the culture and customs of the Ancient Greeks, he missed a wonderful chance take a dig at you.
There is an old joke about a "tail-gunner" who goes to the doctor with food poisoning. The doc says "At least it's taught you what your **** is for."

Actually I'm sure that you aren't in the least bit that way inclined.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, of course.....

This is one of my eccentricities. My personal philosophy is based on the teachings of the Spartans.
For those of you who don't know what the Spartans were about, here goes....
Basically the Spartan philosophy has to do with demanding, physical training and denial of luxury and hedonism. Laziness and sloth are to be avoided. Obesity was eliminated by exercising naked in the gymnasiums so people would feel humiliated unless they looked fit and dynamic (I'm not suggesting anyone goes quite that far)
The women also stripped off and exercised naked and no Spartan female dared to be seen to be fat. These women could use weapons, box and wrestle.
Now, here's my point:
This is a damned good cycling philosophy. Try and avoid too much alcohol. Go out cycling when it's windy and rainy so it toughens you up. Eat a simple diet without too much rich food and luxuries and keep to a strict, disciplined regime of training. Another Spartan saying is that your training should be so hard to endure that the actual competition you enter seems like a holiday.
Finally, Fred's constant harping on about Greek homosexuality..............
Seems likes he's fixated on this single aspect of ancient Greece ;)

Don Shipp said:
My money would be on the kebab.
Since FC has managed to convince himself that you are an **** pirate, on the flimliest of evidence that you seem to admire the culture and customs of the Ancient Greeks, he missed a wonderful chance take a dig at you.
There is an old joke about a "tail-gunner" who goes to the doctor with food poisoning. The doc says "At least it's taught you what your **** is for."

Actually I'm sure that you aren't in the least bit that way inclined.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, of course.....

Carrera said:
This is one of my eccentricities. My personal philosophy is based on the teachings of the Spartans.
Basically the Spartan philosophy has to do with demanding, physical training and denial of luxury and hedonism. Laziness and sloth are to be avoided. Obesity was eliminated by exercising naked in the gymnasiums so people would feel humiliated unless they looked fit and dynamic (I'm not suggesting anyone goes quite that far)
The women also stripped off and exercised naked and no Spartan female dared to be seen to be fat. These women could use weapons, box and wrestle.
Now, here's my point:
This is a damned good cycling philosophy. Try and avoid too much alcohol. Go out cycling when it's windy and rainy so it toughens you up. Eat a simple diet without too much rich food and luxuries and keep to a strict, disciplined regime of training. Another Spartan saying is that your training should be so hard to endure that the actual competition you enter seems like a holiday.

I got nothing against FredC but I draw the line at seeing him cycle naked.
Some select females are another matter.

"Some select females are another matter."

"To make them (Spartan females) brave, Lycurgus ordered that occasionally the girls had to dance and sing naked in front of all the young men. Therefore the girls were ashamed to be fat or weak, and they were happy to display their beauty to such an appreciative audience". (Lycurgus)

"Spartan dances were famous for their vitality. In one particularly athletic version, women had to jump up and drum their buttocks with their heels as many times as possible. It was incredibly difficult, but most importantly for the ancients, it revealed a large amount of naked thigh. This is probably where Spartan girls earned their nickname: 'thigh-flashers.'

As part of their state education, the thigh-flashers would go down to the banks of the Eurotas river for what one poet described as the 'nichta di ambrosias' – the ambrosial nights. The poet goes on to evoke scenes of ritual ecstatic dances and choral contests – the girls singing to each other of limb-loosening desire, tossing their long hair, being ridden like horses and exhausted by love.
http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/H/history/n-s/spartans2.html

jhuskey said:
I got nothing against FredC but I draw the line at seeing him cycle naked.
Some select females are another matter.

Carrera said:
Now, here's my point:
Spartan boys were kept hungry so that they had to steal. They were severely punished if caught, the idea being that they leaned to be stealthy and good at night fighting. The boys were also required to have boy-friends, the rationale behind this was that they they would fight all the harder if the person next to them was a lover.
The Greeks did have a lot of ways to encourage male "bonding" and a lot of reasons for justifying it, but the bottom line was that they just went in for that sort of thing.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, of course.