Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

How Much Glue?

Started by Rod · · Last activity · 86 posts · 2,091 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
29 September 2005
Last activity
11 October 2005
Original author
Rod
Posts
86
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,091
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 86
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Phil said:

    They don't do any of their own mechanic work. What if you had your own
    little poo-flinging monkey to fix tubie flats whenever you got one?

    Tufo sealant takes care of about 3/4 flats. No big deal.

  2. Quoted message said:

    SSTW, you might perform a service here by detailing your application
    method whereby you can get that kind of adhesion with one tube of
    cement sufficing for four wheels.

    I suspect that the glue may be more important than the process, except
    for the end, which depends on the glue still being semi-wet. Start with
    Vittoria Maskik in a well-ventilated area:

    1. One bead on rim, then spread to edges with a brush from a small
    piece of newspaper folded up to about the width of the rim.

    2. One bead on tire, then spread with newspaper brush.

    3. Another bead on rim, spread as before, quickly.

    4. Put on tire immediately, pump up enough to give shape, check
    alignment, pump up to 100psi.

    If the rim has glue that is not dried to powder or too uneven or
    contaminated, do not clean and skip #1.

    If the tire has been previously glued, skip #2.

    Frankly, I'm not sure I could get 4 new tires with 4 new rims from one
    tube; OTOH I would probably skip #1 even on a new rim, because I think
    #3 will do the job.

  3. "Bob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Squid-in-Training said:


    "Bob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On 29 Sep 2005 14:56:42 -0700, "Chalo" <[email hidden]> wrote:


    SNIP

    Quoted message said:

    My post was actually tongue in cheek :-)

    I save tubie repairs for cold, snowy Winter nights when there's little
    else to do.

    Speaking of snowy Winter and tubular tires... I think the last time I rode
    tubies was the day that I had to remove a well mounted Vittoria Mastercross
    in 30 degree rain/snow and a 15MPH wind. I had to take my gloves off to get
    purchase on the tire and lost feeling in several fingers and one thumb for
    about a week. Somehow the allure and glamor of tubies escaped along with the
    air in that tire.

    Dave
    Noblesville IN

  4. Rod said:

    I'm in the process of mounting my first set of tubulars. For the most
    part everything I've read indicates that I should be able to do a
    wheelset with a single tube of glue.

    So far I've used a full tube on one wheel. I've applied a base coat
    using a acid brush to a new tire and rim that was stripped of all the
    old glue, a second coat to both and the mounting coat.

    Did I use too much glue?

    --
    Thx,
    -rod
    rod[at]rodquiros[dot]com

    Thinner and more coats is a better idea. using a solvent brush also a
    good idea.

    Light coat onto the rim, one onto the tire, onto the rim, onto the
    tire. let all dry a wee bit. One last onto the rim, mount tire with the
    glue on the rim wet, to then center the tire(if the glue is too dry it
    will stick like mad, not allowing it to be centered). Pump it up to
    pressure and let set for 24hrs.

    Then ride and experience the wonderful, safe ride. No need to pump the
    pressure up past about 100 psi. In spite of what some will say(most of
    whom have never used tubies), they are a great way to ride. I use
    tubies everyday, and see no need to change to clinchers...besides,
    clinchers are for nancys.

  5. Chalo said:
    Rod said:

    I'm in the process of mounting my first set of tubulars. For the most
    part everything I've read indicates that I should be able to do a
    wheelset with a single tube of glue.

    Nah, you should hose that sucker down with glue, the more the better.
    Pour it on-- better yet, dip the whole wheel and tire in it. Try
    roofing asphalt if you can't get your hands on enough rim cement.

    Then, while the glue is good and tacky, wrap up that 1970s-era [censored]
    in a moth-eaten 1970s-era hippie poncho, and relinquish them both to
    the care of your local sanitation department. You'll be glad you did.

    Chalo Colina

    geee, wondering how many posts it would take to slam tubulars...thanks
    for not disappointing me Chalo...by throwing your own [censored] into the
    game and ignoring this option for many who ride them, for their obvious
    (to most everybodys except to you) advantages.

    How about reading and suggesting, and giving good suggestions or just
    not sayinmg anything if ya want to just spew...there are forums for BS
    and misinformation.

  6. Peter Chisholm wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Light coat onto the rim, one onto the tire, onto the rim, onto the
    tire. let all dry a wee bit. One last onto the rim, mount tire with the
    glue on the rim wet, to then center the tire(if the glue is too dry it
    will stick like mad, not allowing it to be centered). Pump it up to
    pressure and let set for 24hrs.

    Clinchers: mount, pump, ride.

    After doing all that work to mount a tubular, I see
    how there can be a psychological bias to believe that
    there must be substantial advantages in the ride.

    As long as you mention centering: I had plenty of
    tubulars that wouldn't center for anything. And I
    don't mean cheapo models, I mean the better Clements.

    Quoted message said:

    Then ride and experience the wonderful, safe ride.

    As opposed to that unsafe clincher experience, huh.

    Quoted message said:

    In spite of what some will say(most of
    whom have never used tubies), they are a great way to ride.

    15 years of tubular riding here (1976-1991). The only
    thing I miss about them is that the silks made a nice
    sound when riding.

    Quoted message said:

    ...besides, clinchers are for nancys.

    If you say so.

    Tom Ace

  7. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    geee, wondering how many posts it would take to slam tubulars...thanks
    for not disappointing me Chalo...by throwing your own [censored] into the
    game and ignoring this option for many who ride them, for their obvious
    (to most everybodys except to you) advantages.

    How about reading and suggesting, and giving good suggestions or just
    not sayinmg anything if ya want to just spew...there are forums for BS
    and misinformation.

    "besides, clinchers are for nancys" ?

    Beam in thine eye, etc.

    Jasper

  8. Quoted message said:
    Rod said:

    I'm in the process of mounting my first set of tubulars. For the most
    part everything I've read indicates that I should be able to do a
    wheelset with a single tube of glue.

    That's an understatement. You should be able to glue 4 or 5
    wheelsets from a single tube.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Did I use too much glue?

    Probably. You really only need very thin coat to dry on new rims, a
    thin coat for the first tire, and then a thin coat every couple of
    tire changes after that. Thicker glue is actually _less_ adhesive.

    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    Thinner and more coats is a better idea. using a solvent brush also a
    good idea.

    I'm not sure what glue would need solvent. I've never had a problem
    using a bladed screwdriver to get old glue off the rim, and even that
    only after 10+ tire changes.

    Quoted message said:

    In spite of what some will say(most of whom have never used
    tubies), they are a great way to ride. I use tubies everyday, and
    see no need to change to clinchers

    I think a lot of that is simple fear of the unknown, and most don't
    know how to glue a tire (or have anyone to learn from). Truth is
    sew-ups take less total time to maintain once you've learned how.

    On the downside tubies are more expensive and a hassle for heavy
    (190lb+) riders or in hot (100deg+) weather. OTOH they won't pinch
    flat (important if you ever ride off pavement) or get something
    caught in the rim or casing causing multiple flats. What keeps me
    riding sew-ups though, apart from the weight and ease of
    maintenance, is that tire changes are so much quicker (3 minutes
    average vs 10 for clinchers).

    --
    Roger Marquis
    http://www.roble.net/marquis/

  9. Tom Ace said:

    Peter Chisholm wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Light coat onto the rim, one onto the tire, onto the rim, onto the
    tire. let all dry a wee bit. One last onto the rim, mount tire with the
    glue on the rim wet, to then center the tire(if the glue is too dry it
    will stick like mad, not allowing it to be centered). Pump it up to
    pressure and let set for 24hrs.

    Clinchers: mount, pump, ride.

    After doing all that work to mount a tubular, I see
    how there can be a psychological bias to believe that
    there must be substantial advantages in the ride.

    Gee, since you rode them I'm surprised you call this 'all that work'
    Not time consuming, not hard. No harder than adjusting brakes after new
    pads of installing a new chain. Takes some time, but not the 'chore'
    you imply.

    Quoted message said:


    As long as you mention centering: I had plenty of
    tubulars that wouldn't center for anything. And I
    don't mean cheapo models, I mean the better Clements.

    Quoted message said:

    Then ride and experience the wonderful, safe ride.

    As opposed to that unsafe clincher experience, huh.

    Quoted message said:

    In spite of what some will say(most of
    whom have never used tubies), they are a great way to ride.

    15 years of tubular riding here (1976-1991). The only
    thing I miss about them is that the silks made a nice
    sound when riding.

    Quoted message said:

    ...besides, clinchers are for nancys.

    If you say so.

    I guess i don't understand this emotion with tubulars. If ya think they
    are a lot of trouble, don't use them. I don't they are a lot of trouble
    and I like them for the perceived or actual advantages. I don't slam
    clinchers, even the cheap, harsh riding ones that need 120psi minimum.

    Unsafe clicnhers? Nope, except the riders that put less air in them for
    a more supple ride and get pinch flats as a result.

  10. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    I guess i don't understand this emotion with tubulars. If ya think they
    are a lot of trouble, don't use them. I don't they are a lot of trouble
    and I like them for the perceived or actual advantages. I don't slam
    clinchers, even the cheap, harsh riding ones that need 120psi minimu

    2 posts ago, you say, and I quote, "besides, clinchers are for nancys.".

    Whatever, dude.

    Jasper

  11. Jasper Janssen said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    I guess i don't understand this emotion with tubulars. If ya think they
    are a lot of trouble, don't use them. I don't they are a lot of trouble
    and I like them for the perceived or actual advantages. I don't slam
    clinchers, even the cheap, harsh riding ones that need 120psi minimu

    2 posts ago, you say, and I quote, "besides, clinchers are for nancys.".

    Whatever, dude.

    Jasper

    Ya dude, don't let a sense of humor get in your way.....

  12. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:


    geee, wondering how many posts it would take to slam tubulars...thanks
    for not disappointing me Chalo...by throwing your own [censored] into the
    game and ignoring this option for many who ride them, for their obvious
    (to most everybodys except to you) advantages.

    Advantages?

    While for somebody with a strange fetish to indulge, having to deal
    with a messy, smelly fluid might be considered an "advantage", for
    normal riders, tubies have no advantages.

    Would you consider it an advantage if you had a guitar whose strings
    had to be glued in place? Or a jacket whose liner had to be ripped out
    when you needed to wash it, and sewed back in afterwards?

    Quoted message said:

    How about reading and suggesting, and giving good suggestions or just
    not sayinmg anything if ya want to just spew...

    "Throw them away" is the best practical advice anybody could possibly
    get about tubies. Using them is like tying flies or building a ship in
    a bottle-- it's for folks who celebrate their free time and disposable
    income by wasting them doing things that can be done faster, cheaper,
    and better in another way. Tubies wouldn't be worth their purchase
    price even if they were free, because of the time-consuming and toxic
    chore it is just to do a routine tire change with them.

    Consider this-- even Rivendell geeks, who luxuriate in things like
    lacquering their bar tape or rubbing ointments into their leather
    saddles and accessories, generally don't use tubies-- because they
    value practical tires that ride well and last a long time!

    It's OK if you want to waste your time and your customers' money on
    tubies, but calling the best practical advice you can get "spew" is
    simply mistaken.

    Chalo Colina

  13. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    I guess i don't understand this emotion with tubulars. If ya think they
    are a lot of trouble, don't use them. I don't they are a lot of trouble
    and I like them for the perceived or actual advantages. I don't slam
    clinchers, even the cheap, harsh riding ones that need 120psi minimum.

    I find clinchers more trouble. You have to have tools to change them.
    You have to a tube and a tire, and the tires really don't like being
    folded. You work hard to make sure all the air is out of the tube to
    remove them. You have to put a little air - not too much, not too
    little in them to assemble. I never liked trying to pump into a presta
    valve on something unmounted.

    But, I don't bash clinchers either. If you clincher riders don't mind
    all the stuff you have to carry and the hassle of changing them, go
    for it. Whatever floats your boat - er, bike.

  14. Chalo said:

    "Throw them away" is the best practical advice anybody could possibly
    get about tubies. Using them is like tying flies or building a ship in
    a bottle-- it's for folks who celebrate their free time and disposable
    income by wasting them doing things that can be done faster, cheaper,
    and better in another way. Tubies wouldn't be worth their purchase
    price even if they were free, because of the time-consuming and toxic
    chore it is just to do a routine tire change with them.

    Do you use an electric razor? I hope you're not using that antiquated
    toxic shaving cream and a blade. What a waste of time. Best advice I
    can give anyone using a razor blade is to throw it away.

  15. Peter Chisholm wrote (October 1)

    Quoted message said:

    Pump it up to pressure and let set for 24hrs.

    Peter Chisholm wrote (October 2)

    Quoted message said:

    Not time consuming

    Tom Ace

  16. "Chalo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:


    geee, wondering how many posts it would take to slam tubulars...thanks
    for not disappointing me Chalo...by throwing your own [censored] into the
    game and ignoring this option for many who ride them, for their obvious
    (to most everybodys except to you) advantages.

    Advantages?

    While for somebody with a strange fetish to indulge, having to deal
    with a messy, smelly fluid might be considered an "advantage", for
    normal riders, tubies have no advantages.

    Would you consider it an advantage if you had a guitar whose strings
    had to be glued in place? Or a jacket whose liner had to be ripped out
    when you needed to wash it, and sewed back in afterwards?

    Quoted message said:

    How about reading and suggesting, and giving good suggestions or just
    not sayinmg anything if ya want to just spew...

    "Throw them away" is the best practical advice anybody could possibly
    get about tubies. Using them is like tying flies or building a ship in
    a bottle-- it's for folks who celebrate their free time and disposable
    income by wasting them doing things that can be done faster, cheaper,
    and better in another way. Tubies wouldn't be worth their purchase
    price even if they were free, because of the time-consuming and toxic
    chore it is just to do a routine tire change with them.

    Consider this-- even Rivendell geeks, who luxuriate in things like
    lacquering their bar tape or rubbing ointments into their leather
    saddles and accessories, generally don't use tubies-- because they
    value practical tires that ride well and last a long time!

    It's OK if you want to waste your time and your customers' money on
    tubies, but calling the best practical advice you can get "spew" is
    simply mistaken.

    Chalo Colina

    Okay buddy, you are now fair game. Do you know the difference between a fact
    and an opinion? From now on, every time you express an opinion (or ask a
    stupid question) I hope one of us rips you a new [censored].

  17. Dan said:

    "Chalo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:


    geee, wondering how many posts it would take to slam
    tubulars...thanks for not disappointing me Chalo...by throwing your
    own [censored] into the game and ignoring this option for many who
    ride them, for their obvious (to most everybodys except to you)
    advantages.

    Advantages?

    While for somebody with a strange fetish to indulge, having to deal
    with a messy, smelly fluid might be considered an "advantage", for
    normal riders, tubies have no advantages.

    Would you consider it an advantage if you had a guitar whose strings
    had to be glued in place? Or a jacket whose liner had to be ripped
    out when you needed to wash it, and sewed back in afterwards?

    Quoted message said:

    How about reading and suggesting, and giving good suggestions or
    just not sayinmg anything if ya want to just spew...

    "Throw them away" is the best practical advice anybody could possibly
    get about tubies. Using them is like tying flies or building a ship
    in a bottle-- it's for folks who celebrate their free time and
    disposable income by wasting them doing things that can be done
    faster, cheaper, and better in another way. Tubies wouldn't be
    worth their purchase price even if they were free, because of the
    time-consuming and toxic chore it is just to do a routine tire
    change with them. Consider this-- even Rivendell geeks, who luxuriate in
    things like
    lacquering their bar tape or rubbing ointments into their leather
    saddles and accessories, generally don't use tubies-- because they
    value practical tires that ride well and last a long time!

    It's OK if you want to waste your time and your customers' money on
    tubies, but calling the best practical advice you can get "spew" is
    simply mistaken.

    Chalo Colina

    Okay buddy, you are now fair game. Do you know the difference between
    a fact and an opinion? From now on, every time you express an opinion
    (or ask a stupid question) I hope one of us rips you a new [censored].

    Can you define "reasonable" in this context of tires?

    It's a shame you didn't add anything to the discussion.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  18. Chalo said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:


    geee, wondering how many posts it would take to slam tubulars...thanks
    for not disappointing me Chalo...by throwing your own [censored] into the
    game and ignoring this option for many who ride them, for their obvious
    (to most everybodys except to you) advantages.

    Advantages?

    While for somebody with a strange fetish to indulge, having to deal
    with a messy, smelly fluid might be considered an "advantage", for
    normal riders, tubies have no advantages.

    Would you consider it an advantage if you had a guitar whose strings
    had to be glued in place? Or a jacket whose liner had to be ripped out
    when you needed to wash it, and sewed back in afterwards?

    Quoted message said:

    How about reading and suggesting, and giving good suggestions or just
    not sayinmg anything if ya want to just spew...

    "Throw them away" is the best practical advice anybody could possibly
    get about tubies. Using them is like tying flies or building a ship in
    a bottle-- it's for folks who celebrate their free time and disposable
    income by wasting them doing things that can be done faster, cheaper,
    and better in another way. Tubies wouldn't be worth their purchase
    price even if they were free, because of the time-consuming and toxic
    chore it is just to do a routine tire change with them.

    Consider this-- even Rivendell geeks, who luxuriate in things like
    lacquering their bar tape or rubbing ointments into their leather
    saddles and accessories, generally don't use tubies-- because they
    value practical tires that ride well and last a long time!

    It's OK if you want to waste your time and your customers' money on
    tubies, but calling the best practical advice you can get "spew" is
    simply mistaken.

    I guess it's their and my time and money to waste. Are you sure you're
    not really Jobst in another body? I think 'myth and lore' is on the tip
    of your tongue. BTW, why are you messing with the century old thing
    called a 'double triangle bicycle frame'? I think a recumbent out there
    has your name all over it. I'd doubt you'd break cranks and frames on a
    'bent'.

  19. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    Jasper Janssen said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    I guess i don't understand this emotion with tubulars. If ya think they
    are a lot of trouble, don't use them. I don't they are a lot of trouble
    and I like them for the perceived or actual advantages. I don't slam
    clinchers, even the cheap, harsh riding ones that need 120psi minimu

    2 posts ago, you say, and I quote, "besides, clinchers are for nancys.".

    Whatever, dude.

    Quoted message said:

    Ya dude, don't let a sense of humor get in your way.....

    It's not humour if your 'jokes' are indistinguishable from the rest of
    your diatribes.

    Jasper

  20. Jasper Janssen said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    Jasper Janssen said:

    On 2 Oct 2005 07:56:51 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >I guess i don't understand this emotion with tubulars. If ya think they
    >are a lot of trouble, don't use them. I don't they are a lot of trouble
    >and I like them for the perceived or actual advantages. I don't slam
    >clinchers, even the cheap, harsh riding ones that need 120psi minimu

    2 posts ago, you say, and I quote, "besides, clinchers are for nancys.".

    Whatever, dude.

    Quoted message said:

    Ya dude, don't let a sense of humor get in your way.....

    It's not humour if your 'jokes' are indistinguishable from the rest of
    your diatribes.

    Jasper

    Sounds personal-dude

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.