How much have you spent.....

I don't want to think about it... With the bike and subsequent addiction and component upgrades, I have ended up with a much much higher figure than my naive initial budget of $1000. What a sucker of a sport and what a metamorphosis for a Camaleonte!

The good news is, it's my birthday present and I have finally finished spending. The final bike with all the swapped-in upgrades has given me,

1) An unique bike (rather than another Trek/Giant/Colnago model XYZ).
2) A bike that I want to ride often (VERY IMPORTANT).
3) Learnt about current bike technology as I nearly rebuilt 1/2 the bike.
4) Some nice supplemental components that'll allow me to extend and build a second bike... When I find that nice high end CF frame at the right price. :D

Last 5 years is easy since Ive only been back in a short while

$4000 in the last three months. Bike, custom wheelset, some cloths, helmet and a PowerTap.

Two years ago I had an aborted restart to riding and that was about $600 for cloths, Speedplays, Sidi's.

Now its time to buy winter cloths..uughhh.

Well I guess my spending will be far less then most of you people out there as I only just caught the bug in may of this year.

So far,

Bike 1: Specialized Sirrus $800 NZD with accessories and clothes $250

sold it in September as I have thoroughly enjoyed my time on it which was very cheap way of tasting the waters in cycling (lost $300 from the sale)

Bike 2: Scott Speedster S30 $1625 NZD with few other accessories $250

So so far overall I have spent $2425 in 4 months

But I think the spending spree of cycling will quiet down for a while until I decide to upgrade on few things..... But as few others have said, I see it as an investment... get to have fun, get fit and new life style :D

So bottom line, I admit I have the cycling bug but love it!! hehe

Have a great day everyone

In the 80s as a early 20 something I would buy a pair of training tyres a year - probably $80 in total and club fees. No gels, sports drinks, clothing, chains etc.
I just used it all till it wore out till it was all properly stuffed:eek: I knew no better.

My total spend for a year of cycling would've been less than $150.

Now...:confused:

Helloooooooo....its called inflation, how much do you spend these days when you have hopefully a slightly better income then you did back then!!?

Phill P said:
Helloooooooo....its called inflation, how much do you spend these days when you have hopefully a slightly better income then you did back then!!?
===========================================================
Yeah, ok a bit more. This year; Say 2 chains and one chainring, 4 tyres(I get about 5500kms out of one set of Michelin carbons), bar tape x2, 3 spokes, a new pump, patches and glue, a second hand pair of shoes for $60, club fees $65, race entries - say $250 for the season, gels, sports drinks, sports bars....

Possibly up to $700

Can't say I'm a big inflation fan - though I am riding better - and enjoying it more:)

two and a half years ago: $500 on a commuter/mtb to replace ye olde steel steed.
last year: $3K AU on a foes weasel DH bike + lots of XTR bits and improvements for a friend (all paid back)
this year: $2K AU on a road bike + extra bits like tyres, tubes, shoes etc for me.
next year: $4K on a plush trail beasty for me.
i.e. must stick to savings plan, or else purchase of said beasty will coincide with the start of the uni year and i wont have time to ride it!

a good bike is probably going to be expensive, but its not fair to see it in monetary terms, its more important to see it in terms of enjoyment and how much use you will get out of the bike because you just cant stand to be away from it for any length of time :D