How much % increase per week?

bike_man0079

May 21, 2006
Howdy from San Antonio, does anybody know how much you are suppose to increase your mileage and do you increase per day or per week?

Also, what is the formula to figure out how much to increase your mileage?

Help is GREATLY APRRECIATED!!!!!!:):confused:

Thanks and God Bless!:)

PS-I don't really talk like a hick.:p

most people will tell you to increase your longest ride by 10% each week

bike_man0079 said:
Howdy from San Antonio, does anybody know how much you are suppose to increase your mileage and do you increase per day or per week?

Help is GREATLY APRRECIATED!!!!!!:):confused:

Thanks and God Bless!:)

PS-I don't really talk like a hick.:p

li rider said:
most people will tell you to increase your longest ride by 10% each week
Mmmm they might, but I wouldn't. Go by how you feel I say. Being on the wrong side of half a century (age that is) Just a little over (clears throat:rolleyes: )

On April the 19th I did my regular 47km course. On April the 23 with an upcoming century in mind, I upped this figure to 84km (80% increase) The following week did 93Km and for the following weeks until tapering did well over 100 km.

However, I wouldn't recommend such a big step unless as someone recently said in this forum, you have my superior genes (Levis) go faster tyres and pedals and you are an animal.:D

bike_man0079 said:

Some will say 10% for the longest ride. However, the truthful answer is it depends a lot on how fit you are to begin with. I was able to increase my longest ride by 10% a week until I hit the 60 mile mark then I hit a wall and wasn't progressing any more. Had to cut back about 20% on the mileage and start doing 5% increases after that. Then it all came into play.

Had I been in better shape I probably could have continued 10% for longer but I still would have eventually hit a wall. Progress is never linear.

Doctor Morbius said:
Some will say 10% for the longest ride. However, the truthful answer is it depends a lot on how fit you are to begin with. I was able to increase my longest ride by 10% a week until I hit the 60 mile mark then I hit a wall and wasn't progressing any more. Had to cut back about 20% on the mileage and start doing 5% increases after that. Then it all came into play.

Had I been in better shape I probably could have continued 10% for longer but I still would have eventually hit a wall. Progress is never linear.
Doc, you really must get some new genes - sounds to me like the ones you've got are worn out! :D Tyson

Doctor Morbius said:
... but I just bought a brand new pair of Levi's!! :eek:
Therein lies your problem. As you know when hurricane Katrina struck, the "levi's" weren't up to the job. :rolleyes: