How much is a Nishiki Sport road bike worth?

lechiang

Jul 7, 2014
I'm looking to buy a road bike to travel around a college campus. I found a Nishiki Sport road bike (without pedals) selling for $200 on Craigslist, but since I don't know that much about bikes, I'm not sure if the bike is actually worth $200. Any advice on this particular brand of bikes?

When Nishiki bikes were originally brought into the US, they were one of several very good Japanese made frames. It was a US owned operation, and the frames were made by a Japanese contractor, and sold here under the Nishiki name. Sometime around maybe 1989-1990, the owners decided to have the frames made in Taiwan by Giant. Then the company changed hands several times, so while Nishiki still exists as a brand name, now it's more of a box store brand.

So, quality will vary with the age of the bike. And I don't think that the Sport was one of their upper end models back then. I'd say $200 is maybe the limit on what it's worth.

Actually even though Nishiki did change hands many times it always remained a decal brand meaning it was contracted to various manufactures and a Nishiki decal slapped on it, it was never a company even to this day, thus it's still just a decal company.

However in their prime they were made very well, the newer bikes are no longer in their prime. If that bike is the maroon with silver head tube and in very good condition as I think I have seen it to be then I would say it's a good deal but only because of it's like new condition, most did not survive anywhere near as well as that one has and it would be rare to find one in like new condition.

The only "odd" thing about that bike is the tire size being 27" and little difficult to find, but there are still a few really nice tires that will fit those rims like the Vittoria Zaffiro, Panaracer Pasela, Continental Super Sport, and the Continental Gator Hardshell and Gatorskin, these are all excellent road tires.

Tube wise any 700c 18-25 tube will fit but all of those tubes use a Presta valve and yours uses a Schrader so you have to buy a grommet or adapter that converts the Shrader size hole to a Presta size hole, like this: http://www.amazon.com/Wheels-Manufacturing-Presta-Schraeder-10-Pack/dp/B00FNM3FBQ/ref=pd_sim_sg_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0RSB5Q6KXA7GQTQFADSB Installing these grommets will require that you remove the rim tape over the area where the valve hole is, putting the grommet in and replacing the tape back over the rim to hold the grommet in place. While you're doing that tape business usually a bike that old used rubber band to cover the spoke holes and it's probably a safe bet that the band needs to be replaced so get a cloth one of the right width, you can take the rim down to an LBS and they can get you the right size, you'll need two rolls of course.

Reactions: LeonJr.