...How Much is Gas in your Area...? ? ?

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:15:04 -0800, "fifty five"
<[email protected]> thought hard and said:

>Oil hit $55 per barrel and is only expected to go higher.
>
>So how much are you paying at the gas pump???

1.89 for midgrade.

>Will you be driving anywhere this spring or summer?

I have to!

--

-Daniel "Mr. Brevity" Kolle; 17 A.A. #2035
Koji Kondo, Yo-Yo Ma, Gustav Mahler, Krzysztof Penderecki, and Geirr Tveitt are my Gods.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:54:36 GMT, Sue <[email protected]> wrote:

>At the station around the corner from me it's $1.99 (in suburban
>Detroit), but I've seen $2.01-2.05 around town.

>Have they made any projections as to the economic effects of $5-a-gallon
>gas?

I'm sure it's going to curtail a lot of automobile travel.

duke
*****
Acts 2
38Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every
one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the
forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive
the gift of the Holy Spirit".
*****

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:17:40 -0500, Alan Figgatt <[email protected]> wrote:

> This is getting way OT for these groups, but the core truth is that
>allowing off-shore drilling is not going to make any difference to the
>price at your pump. The amount of oil we could get from ANWAR or more
>off-shore rigs is a relative drop in the bucket compared to daily US and
>world consumption of oil. Oil is an international commodity, the price
>the US pays for oil is set by and large by the world wide demand. And
>world wide demand is up because of booming economies, namely China. More
>oil produced in the US will help the trade balance, but not the price we
>pay at the pump.

Gasoline is gasoline. We have three choices:

1. More drilling in the continental US and Alaska.
2. Invade the Middle East.
3. Pay the price.

It's going to be interesting to see if the US populace willingly pays $5 at the
pump as good little "pc" people or screams for "more" ME oil.

> I doubt that we will see $5 a gallon in 3 years, because if oil gets
>that expensive that fast, it triggers a recession which in turn lowers
>the demand for oil. But the long term trend (5 to 10 years) for gasoline
>price is up. Supply and demand still rules.

$5 a gallon is all the rage of the talk circuits right now.

duke
*****

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:32:48 -0600, duke <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:17:40 -0500, Alan Figgatt <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> This is getting way OT for these groups, but the core truth is that
>>allowing off-shore drilling is not going to make any difference to the
>>price at your pump. The amount of oil we could get from ANWAR or more
>>off-shore rigs is a relative drop in the bucket compared to daily US and
>>world consumption of oil. Oil is an international commodity, the price
>>the US pays for oil is set by and large by the world wide demand. And
>>world wide demand is up because of booming economies, namely China. More
>>oil produced in the US will help the trade balance, but not the price we
>>pay at the pump.

>Gasoline is gasoline. We have three choices:
>
>1. More drilling in the continental US and Alaska.
>2. Invade the Middle East.
>3. Pay the price.
>
>It's going to be interesting to see if the US populace willingly pays $5 at the
>pump as good little "pc" people or screams for "more" ME oil.
>
>> I doubt that we will see $5 a gallon in 3 years, because if oil gets
>>that expensive that fast, it triggers a recession which in turn lowers
>>the demand for oil. But the long term trend (5 to 10 years) for gasoline
>>price is up. Supply and demand still rules.

>$5 a gallon is all the rage of the talk circuits right now.

Unless someone can figure out how to keep China and India
from buying more and more oil, the price will keep going
up. In other words, it's going to keep going up.
2004 Ford Mustang Mach-1
-Rich

> >> Oil hit $55 per barrel and is only expected to go higher.
> >>
> >> So how much are you paying at the gas pump???
> >>
> >> Will you be driving anywhere this spring or summer?
> >>

> >193.9 in Port Charlotte, FL.
> >

> Get used to it. Demand from rapidly industrializing China
> and India is only going to grow stronger.
> -Rich

$2.19 for diesel in Denver, Co.

"SpongeWoodie Squarepants" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> So how much are you paying at the gas pump???

> $1.86 last night for unleaded... near work it's $1.95 which is Tampa.
>
> --
> ~*~ Keeper of Monica Bellucci ~*~

Las Vegas, close to home regular unleaded, @2.23 gallon. It is higher in
other areas of town.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:32:48 -0600, duke <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:17:40 -0500, Alan Figgatt <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> This is getting way OT for these groups, but the core truth is that
>>allowing off-shore drilling is not going to make any difference to the
>>price at your pump. The amount of oil we could get from ANWAR or more
>>off-shore rigs is a relative drop in the bucket compared to daily US and
>>world consumption of oil. Oil is an international commodity, the price
>>the US pays for oil is set by and large by the world wide demand. And
>>world wide demand is up because of booming economies, namely China. More
>>oil produced in the US will help the trade balance, but not the price we
>>pay at the pump.

>Gasoline is gasoline. We have three choices:
>
>1. More drilling in the continental US and Alaska.
>2. Invade the Middle East.
>3. Pay the price.
>
>It's going to be interesting to see if the US populace willingly pays $5 at the
>pump as good little "pc" people or screams for "more" ME oil.

You left out #4; Small fuel-efficient cars.

( naaah...that'd be UnAmerican )

<rj>

fifty five wrote:
> Oil hit $55 per barrel and is only expected to go higher.
>
> So how much are you paying at the gas pump???
>
> Will you be driving anywhere this spring or summer?

Here, it's $7 per gallon, and people are still buying 4x4s and SUVs.

Funny thing is, if oil prices were to drop suddenly, the oil companies
would put pump prices up, citing losses due to stock depreciation.

--
David Silverman F.L.A.H.N.
aa #2208

No i'm sorry to say that I will not going any where this spring or
summer. Unless the gas prices go down a lot. This is a tragedy. The
government would let these gas prices get so high. The government could
lower or even drop the taxes on the gas. I just can't believe that the
government would even think about putting taxes on something that people
need to live on. We need gas to heat our homes and to drive to work.
btw, If we did not work we could not support our families or our
government. If we do not work uncle Sam gets no taxes. People all across
the nation should have a sit down. Every one stay home for a week. That
will wake the oil companies up along with the government. And yes
America it can be done. Think about it. If every one stayed home for a
week not one person would earn a single dollar. nor would the government
or the oil companies. And it can be done if the nation would stick
together and do it.. Thank you.

SpongeWoodie Squarepants wrote in message
<[email protected]>...

>>>$1.86 last night for unleaded... near work it's $1.95 which is Tampa.

>> You *****.

>Bigolhomo... you love me! Besides, it's up to $1.98 now; which means it's
>about $2.04 near work. :p

http://www.detroitgasprices.com/index.aspx?area=Royal+Oak&Station=All+Statio
ns&tme_limit=72

--
saerah

"Is Eris true?"
"Everything is true."
"Even false things?"
"Even false things are true."
"How can that be?"
"I don't know man, I didn't do it.".

duke wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:17:40 -0500, Alan Figgatt <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> This is getting way OT for these groups, but the core truth is that
>>allowing off-shore drilling is not going to make any difference to the
>>price at your pump. The amount of oil we could get from ANWAR or more
>>off-shore rigs is a relative drop in the bucket compared to daily US and
>>world consumption of oil. Oil is an international commodity, the price
>>the US pays for oil is set by and large by the world wide demand. And
>>world wide demand is up because of booming economies, namely China. More
>>oil produced in the US will help the trade balance, but not the price we
>>pay at the pump.

> Gasoline is gasoline. We have three choices:
>
> 1. More drilling in the continental US and Alaska.
> 2. Invade the Middle East.
> 3. Pay the price.

Actually, it's not just the supply that's the problem. It's also
refining capacity. We haven't built a new refinery in the US in nearly
three decades. The ones we have are essentially working at full
capacity. The technology is older than what's being done in developing
countries where the newest, more efficient ways are being built. But
oil is being used unwisely around the world for things that other
fuels could be used for. Generating electricity being the biggest.

> It's going to be interesting to see if the US populace willingly pays $5 at the
> pump as good little "pc" people or screams for "more" ME oil.
>
>> I doubt that we will see $5 a gallon in 3 years, because if oil gets
>>that expensive that fast, it triggers a recession which in turn lowers
>>the demand for oil. But the long term trend (5 to 10 years) for gasoline
>>price is up. Supply and demand still rules.

> $5 a gallon is all the rage of the talk circuits right now.

In the 1970's, I helped write about "The Impending Energy Crisis" (a
series of energy forecasts) while working for a company that was
working on nuclear and alternative energy sources. Many ideas were
proposed that, at the time, were economically infeasible. As the cost
of energy rises and petroleum stock is being used for plastic-making,
and other industrial procedures, these alternatives become more
attractive. Things like coal gasification, tidal power, geothermal,
hydro, wind and others. There were many other interesting ones
proposed that wouldn't fly today, but could be significant. Floating
nukes on huge barges anchored offshore. All the cooling water you
could want right there. Deep-mine or deep-water temperature
differential generation where the temperature differences between two
(or more) areas can be used to generate electricity. Solar panels in
geosynchronous orbit microwaving power down to the earth's surface to
giant antennae.

Using alternate power sources largely reverses trends of the past
century of concentrating energy production into small, centralized
areas and spreads it out so it becomes much more localized. Another
major issue is our national power grid. It's mostly old and tired,
cobbled together from smaller grids designed for local conditions. The
engineers who have pulled it together have done a good job with what
they had to work with, but it's a new era that demands a different,
more distributed system with newer controls.

I paid $1.939 yesterday. Same station today was $1.999 today.

Pastorio

$2.2799 in Oakland, Ca. And yes, we're still driving to LA for our
spring vacation. Our 7 year old Honda Accord gets 25 mpg in the city
and better than that on the highway.

Leila

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 06:15:20 -0500, [email protected] (T 35) wrote:

>No i'm sorry to say that I will not going any where this spring or
>summer. Unless the gas prices go down a lot. This is a tragedy. The
>government would let these gas prices get so high. The government could
>lower or even drop the taxes on the gas. I just can't believe that the
>government would even think about putting taxes on something that people
>need to live on. We need gas to heat our homes and to drive to work.

I think the prices are way too low. the only way things will improve is to force
people to stop buying gas guzzling cars.
no one is forcing you to drive. you can love closer to work you can use other
methods to get there. cheap gas means that we will always depend on oil.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Bob (this one) wrote:
> [...]

> deep-water temperature differential generation where the temperature
> differences between two (or more) areas can be used to generate
> electricity. Solar panels in geosynchronous orbit microwaving power down
> to the earth's surface to giant antennae.
>
> Using alternate power sources largely reverses trends of the past
> century of concentrating energy production into small, centralized areas
> and spreads it out so it becomes much more localized. Another major
> issue is our national power grid. It's mostly old and tired, cobbled
> together from smaller grids designed for local conditions. The engineers
> who have pulled it together have done a good job with what they had to
> work with, but it's a new era that demands a different, more distributed
> system with newer controls.
>
> I paid $1.939 yesterday. Same station today was $1.999 today.

There's a book I read back in the late 70's called something like
_Energy for Tomorrow, an Alternative Solution_ (that's not the actual
title, otherwise I would be able to find it now on Amazon.) It had a
bunch of interesting energy sources. One that I liked was damming up
some strait over in the middle east that was the only inlet to a narrow
bay and building a hydroelectric plant. Even though the dam would be
miles long, building it would be easy because the pressure would be the
same on both sides initially. Once it was complete, evaporation would
cause the lake level to drop to the point where you could begin
producing power. Now here's the cool part: The sea water in the lake
would become more and more concentrated until the minerals started
precipitating out. The salinitiy would not be constant in the lake, it
would have a gradient because some new sea water was coming in at the
dam. So different minerals (like gold, silver, magnesium, etc.) would
precipitate out in differnt places and could be mined economically.

The most interesting new energy development I've seen is the
organic-waste-to-oil conversion plant in Carthage, Missouri. It
converts turkey guts and feather into light sweet crude oil. The only
reason the the plant is not profitable is they have to buy the turkey
waste at a kind of high price (it is used in pet food and protein
supplements for livestock feed.) The process they use could be used to
destroy old tires, pesticide waste, mad cows, or municipal sewage.
Neither the enviromental nuts nor the Republican hawks have grasped the
significance of this -- If we convert waste to oil rather than pump new
oil out of the ground, the carbon gets recycled and new carbon stays in
the ground (that's the solution to global warming) Plus, crude oil
deposits the Middle East drops dramatically in value, shifting the
balance of power away from Saudi Arabia and other oil-producing nations.
(that's the Republican hawk part; let the Saudis sell their $2 per
barrel oil to China or something if they think they can get that much
for it. Can you imagine the affect on world politics if the USA were a
net exporter of energy? (I know we'll never get that far, but it's a
worthy goal))

Meanwhile, my portfolio is overweighted in oil production and pipeline
stocks, and doing very well.

BTW, if we drill in ANWAR (and we probably should) the oil will all end
up going to Japan most likely. Oil is an international commodity. Oil
from anywhere and everywhere flows to wherever the market takes it.
Opening a big oilfield in the USA doesn't boost our oil supply, it
insignificantly boosts the world's oil supply.

Best regards,
Bob

"Terwilliger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:29:09 GMT, "Mike Painter"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Rich wrote:
>>> here in Maryland, I paid $2.11 this afternoon for a fill up.
>>>
>>> rich

>>For those ouside the US, this is for about four liters and we think it's
>>high.
>>

> Yeah, it's like 5-6 bucks a gallon in Europe, isn't it? How do we get
> the cheaper prices?

Americans don't tax the hell out of it. Yet.

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 06:15:20 -0500, [email protected] (T 35) wrote:

>No i'm sorry to say that I will not going any where this spring or
>summer. Unless the gas prices go down a lot. This is a tragedy. The
>government would let these gas prices get so high. The government could
>lower or even drop the taxes on the gas. I just can't believe that the
>government would even think about putting taxes on something that people
>need to live on. We need gas to heat our homes and to drive to work.
>btw, If we did not work we could not support our families or our
>government. If we do not work uncle Sam gets no taxes. People all across
>the nation should have a sit down. Every one stay home for a week. That
>will wake the oil companies up along with the government. And yes
>America it can be done. Think about it. If every one stayed home for a
>week not one person would earn a single dollar. nor would the government
>or the oil companies. And it can be done if the nation would stick
>together and do it.. Thank you.

Sorry dudes, but gas has been taxed at a much higher rate in other
nations, ever since the last energy crisis in the early seventies, to
curb consumption and the resulting effects on society.

Europe does it and Canada does it, and our resulting growth and
consumption patterns for the past thirty years have been substantially
different from the US.

I've known that the cost of energy would _have_ go back up eventually,
and have deliberately chosen over the years to drive small cars and
structure my life in antiicipation of that (I didn't need a truck or
an SUV.... why pay for it?) Not to mention I could spend the money
elsewhere...

This will serve as the incentive I need to get my fellow shareholders
in my older co-operative apartment building to invest in some new
now-available energy conservation technologies (two button flush
toilets, the photovoltaic array on the roof, finishing the building
envelope tightening program)

I'll be out there on my bike with my "O cents/km" Tshirt.
I'm afraid my attitude is "suck up and deal, you'll be better for it",
as I set out to do some practical things to help my lower income
co-owners find some solutions.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario

Rich wrote:
> here in Maryland, I paid $2.11 this afternoon for a fill up.
>
> rich
>

> "fifty five" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Oil hit $55 per barrel and is only expected to go higher.
> >
> > So how much are you paying at the gas pump???
> >
> > Will you be driving anywhere this spring or summer?

I posted the other day and it was $3.08 US a gallon....it jumped to
about $3.24 as reported by the morning newspaper today. Cars and gas
are not cheap commodities in Central America

Sandi

"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

> temperature differential generation where the temperature differences
> between two (or more) areas can be used to generate electricity. Solar
> panels in geosynchronous orbit microwaving power down to the earth's
> surface to giant antennae.
>
> Using alternate power sources largely reverses trends of the past century
> of concentrating energy production into small, centralized areas and
> spreads it out so it becomes much more localized. Another major issue is
> our national power grid. It's mostly old and tired, cobbled together from
> smaller grids designed for local conditions. The engineers who have pulled
> it together have done a good job with what they had to work with, but it's
> a new era that demands a different, more distributed system with newer
> controls.
>
> I paid $1.939 yesterday. Same station today was $1.999 today.

We don't really know how much oil is under the ground until you drill.
They're isn't really any good reason that I have heard to not drill up in
anwar.

"Secular Fundamentalist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> fifty five wrote:
>> Oil hit $55 per barrel and is only expected to go higher.
>>
>> So how much are you paying at the gas pump???
>>
>> Will you be driving anywhere this spring or summer?

> Here, it's $7 per gallon, and people are still buying 4x4s and SUVs.
>
> Funny thing is, if oil prices were to drop suddenly, the oil companies
> would put pump prices up, citing losses due to stock depreciation.
>
> --
> David Silverman F.L.A.H.N.
> aa #2208

It already fell to 53 dollars a barrel today and it's 1.98 in Detroit.

"Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> [...]

century
> > of concentrating energy production into small, centralized areas and
> > spreads it out so it becomes much more localized. Another major issue is
> > our national power grid. It's mostly old and tired, cobbled together

from
> > smaller grids designed for local conditions. The engineers who have

pulled
> > it together have done a good job with what they had to work with, but

it's
> > a new era that demands a different, more distributed system with newer
> > controls.
> >
> > I paid $1.939 yesterday. Same station today was $1.999 today.
> >
> > Pastorio
> >

> We don't really know how much oil is under the ground until you drill.
> They're isn't really any good reason that I have heard to not drill up in

Because it won't do squat to lower oil prices.