How much is it worth?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Chris Hansen, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Chris Hansen

    Chris Hansen Guest

    Hello,

    I have an old road bike I don't use that a friend said he
    was interested in buying. It's an early 80's Raleigh
    Competition which was considered an entry-level racing bike.
    It's in good shape without too many miles on it. The paint
    and finish are almost like new and it has new tires, seat,
    handlebar tape, chain and brake hoods. The rims are straight
    and have never needed trueing.

    I don't want to charge too much. I'll probably give him a
    deal because he's a friend but I don't want to give it away
    either becuase any money I get will go into a commuter bike
    I'm setting up.

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Pbwalther

    Pbwalther Guest

    Well, it is still a good bike but it would be hard as the
    dickens for him to find replacement parts. So I think
    charging him more then say and this is a guess $200 would be
    a bit much.

  3. Amh

    Amh Guest

    [email protected] (Chris Hansen) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have an old road bike I don't use that a friend said he
    > was interested in buying. It's an early 80's Raleigh
    > Competition which was considered an entry-level racing
    > bike. It's in good shape without too many miles on it. The
    > paint and finish are almost like new and it has new tires,
    > seat, handlebar tape, chain and brake hoods. The rims are
    > straight and have never needed trueing.
    >
    > I don't want to charge too much. I'll probably give him a
    > deal because he's a friend but I don't want to give it
    > away either becuase any money I get will go into a
    > commuter bike I'm setting up.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I saw an older 1970's Competition sell for $300. But it was
    in pristine condition with original Campy components
    (according to the seller). I have a similar model with a few
    pieces changed and or missing (pedals, rear wheel, et al)
    and I'd be happy to get $75 for it as is. If it doesn't have
    all original parts then its value as a collector item is
    markedly lower. It's value as a working bicycle is probably
    somewhere between the two.

    Most of the above is speculation, take it for what it is
    worth.

    Andy

  4. Curt

    Curt Guest

    I was thinking more like $100US or less.

    Curt

    m06.aol.com...

  5. On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 16:50:23 GMT, "curt" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I was thinking more like $100US or less.
    >
    >Curt

    I'd pay US$ 120-$150 for an old Raleigh in excellent shape.
    I liked mine, while the wheelset lasted. And they're
    eminently rideable, if they fit. I did my first 'longish'
    rides on just such a used Raleigh, until I trashed the
    wheels. (never saw that girl again, either, but *sigh*)

    You're unlikely to get a road bike for even twice two
    hundred bucks today, new, anyway, so if you're just starting
    out, a nice old bike is a real treat--a 'serious' bicycle
    for silly money.

    cyclists have been on the road long before aero brake
    levers, nine-speed casettes, and STI. Old bikes that
    work are cool.

    -Luigi

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Chris Hansen) wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have an old road bike I don't use that a friend said he
    > was interested in buying. It's an early 80's Raleigh
    > Competition which was considered an entry-level racing
    > bike. It's in good shape without too many miles on it. The
    > paint and finish are almost like new and it has new tires,
    > seat, handlebar tape, chain and brake hoods. The rims are
    > straight and have never needed trueing.

    I don't know this model. aluminum rims?

    > I don't want to charge too much. I'll probably give him a
    > deal because he's a friend but I don't want to give it
    > away either becuase any money I get will go into a
    > commuter bike I'm setting up.

    They're worth $10-$100 in ordinary condition, just like
    all other early 80s bikes that don't carry Campy
    components or have some wonderfully obscure (and usually
    Italian) name on them.

    I love these things, and pick them up whenever I get a
    chance, which is about every 9 months so far for bikes in my
    size, more often for frames that don't fit me.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email protected]
    http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/ President, Fabrizio