How much is my bike worth roughly please?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Omar Shaffi, May 5, 2006.

1. Omar Shaffi

Omar Shaffi New Member

Tags:

2. ishiwata

ishiwata New Member

There are a lot of variables when pricing a bike. Through what venue do you plan on selling it? Where do you live? And what is the condition of the bike?

I'm not familiar with the model you're selling, but from the photo, I would guess it's worth less than $100 (U.S.). But if someone's been looking for a Muddy Fox Courier Comp their whole life, then maybe they'll shell out $175. You never know.

It would be helpful if you could describe the componentry on the bike -- what names are written on the derailleurs, cranks, shifters, brakes, and hubs?

3. Omar Shaffi

Omar Shaffi New Member

It has:

Muddyfox courier comp frame

Fzed racing stem

MFX700 suspension

Shimano Alivio 21 gears

Shimano Alivio brakes + metal leavers

Mt Zefal bottle carrier

Van Schothorst Alloys

Universal seat (adjustable)

Kenda tyres

The bike has been very well looked after. Always kept in a dry garage and never been left outside. It’s a great bike to ride and very comfortable too. The gears change very smoothly.

The only problem I can see is that the tyres will need replacing soon.

4. ishiwata

ishiwata New Member

The Alivio parts are on the lower end of the Shimano spectrum, but they work fine. Here's a similarly equipped bike on craiglist, but with a more well-known frame, for $100:

http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/155996367.html

I'd probably price it similarly and see what happens. Again, it comes down to what it's worth to the buyer. If you're not in a hurry, price it higher and see if you get a response. More power to you if someone buys it for more than it's "worth."

On another note, if you're going to buy another bike, I'd recommend researching what's the right size for you. Looking at that picture, it looks like the bike was too big and you had to compensate for that by lowering the saddle. That could result in you struggling to reach for the bars, and making riding very uncomfortable. On the other hand, maybe you just had the saddle low because you feel more comfortable that way - most new riders ride with the saddle too low. The single most important thing when buying a bike is that it fits. Come back to cyclingforums when you buy your next bike and people will be happy to help with fit issues.

5. Omar Shaffi

Omar Shaffi New Member

Hi

I sold the muddyfox on ebay yesterday for £150, ($278)

I bought a Kona shred model a few months ago and wanted to get rid of this one.

Omar

6. VeganRider

VeganRider New Member

Keep her! Come on, she wouldn't eat much, wouldn't make much noise, wouldn't pee in the house, she wouldn't snore at night. How could you toss an old friend to the curb. Besides, she could come in handy on a rainy day or if you need repairs on the new bike. But don't listen to me, I have 7 bikes.:) lol.........

7. bioguy

bioguy New Member

Apparently, it was worth $278. :)

I would have recommended keeping it as a backup bike. Unless you have one to ride and one to repair, you might miss a day or more on the road. For me (and veganrider), that's just not acceptable.

8. S. Thomas

S. Thomas New Member

That's a very impressive price. Good going! In all honesty, you could buy something similarly equipped new for about $350 or $400.