How much is my bike worth?

kwent86

May 12, 2014
Helllllo, I have been a casual road cyclist for several years. Usually only riding when I have a minor running injury that favors cycling instead. Anyways, I have been thinking about getting a mountain bike and selling my old road bike. Problem is, I can not figure out what to sell it for. I have no experience in this market lately. The bicycle blue book website said its worth $200? If so, I think I would rather keep it lol. Let me know what you guys think. It has a fair amount of tiny scratches and a few paint chips from over the years, nothing major. It is either a 2003 or 2004 f-65 model, I forget. I should also mention that I am not trying to sell it via these forums. Thanks for any feedback you may have.

I looked up your bike in the Bicycle Blue Book and found a range of $204 to $319, depending on condition. A basically sound bike that is in fair condition will usually need $100 to $200 of work, depending on who does it, to make it into something someone will want to ride, so these prices are pretty fair. You have a rather dated 3x9 Shimano 105 drivetrain. 105 was upgraded to 10-speed in 2006, and 11-speed will come out this summer. Sorry, old bikes held their value before the 1990s when upgrades occurred maybe once every two decades.

When marketing your bike photograph the drive side, showing all the mechanical goodies. Also list the components by model name and number. It's a rare customer who will research a bike like I just did. To climb out of the "fair" bike ghetto, clean it the best you can, and replace worn or damaged components--cables and housings, brake pads, chain, and cassette--and fix the tatty handlebar wrap, please. You want to make a good impression.

Yes I will spend $50 and a few hours of my time so that I can then sell the bike for $200. hehe, I really do appreciate your research you did there. I'm sure the tech has advanced a great deal. Glad I mostly traded goods to get this bike years ago. I think It will just turn into a piece of art, hanging in my living room. It's kind of a hideous thing thou isn't it....hmmm. paper weight maybe.

I don't think it's that bad. If you were local to me I'd grab that thing for $150 in current condition or $200 cleaned/fixed up.

Originally Posted by kwent86
Helllllo, I have been a casual road cyclist for several years. Usually only riding when I have a minor running injury that favors cycling instead. Anyways, I have been thinking about getting a mountain bike and selling my old road bike. Problem is, I can not figure out what to sell it for. I have no experience in this market lately. The bicycle blue book website said its worth $200? If so, I think I would rather keep it lol. Let me know what you guys think. It has a fair amount of tiny scratches and a few paint chips from over the years, nothing major. It is either a 2003 or 2004 f-65 model, I forget. I should also mention that I am not trying to sell it via these forums. Thanks for any feedback you may have.
If you are NOT actually planning to go off road & expect to stay on pavement then ....

I'll bet if you replaced the bike's current stem with a stubby DH (Downhill) stem (probably, <$20 on eBay ... you just need to determine if you need a stem for an OS (31.8mm) center section or the 'older', smaller size center section), you might find our Felt to be a more comfortable bike for you to ride.