how much is safe?

Worried21

Guest
I have been doinn my diet (well, eating well and properly) for about 5 days now. As usual, if I eat
properly and not loads of rubbish (crisps, chocolate etc) the weight just falls off me.

Since most people have the problem of dieting and not losing anything, some people have the
opposite. How much is it safe to lose in a week? I know that initially you lose alot (mostly
water?) and it slows down, but i think mine will slow down to 4/5 pounds a week (even with a few
tasty treats). Is this a safe sensible amount to lose?

I dont want to lose too much too soon since i had a big issue with loose skin last time, and thats
pretty much cleared up. Its my pot belly that I need to lose. Doing situps and eating well as i
said, just dont want to lose too much too soon out of fear of lose skin instead of a lean tight
stomach, which is my dream!

Weight Watcher guidelines say that you should only lose 1-2 lbs a week, with the exception of in the
beginning, but it should average out over time to about 1-2 lbs a week.

Debbie

"Worried21" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have been doinn my diet (well, eating well and properly) for about 5
days
> now. As usual, if I eat properly and not loads of rubbish (crisps,
chocolate
> etc) the weight just falls off me.
>
> Since most people have the problem of dieting and not losing anything,
some
> people have the opposite. How much is it safe to lose in a week? I know that initially you lose
> alot (mostly water?) and it slows down, but i think mine will slow down to 4/5 pounds a week (even
> with a few tasty treats). Is this a safe sensible amount to
lose?

> I dont want to lose too much too soon since i had a big issue with loose skin last time, and thats
> pretty much cleared up. Its my pot belly that I need to lose. Doing situps and eating well as i
> said, just dont want to
lose
> too much too soon out of fear of lose skin instead of a lean tight
stomach,
> which is my dream!

no advice but good luck, Lee
Worried21 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have been doinn my diet (well, eating well and properly) for about 5
days
> now. As usual, if I eat properly and not loads of rubbish (crisps,
chocolate
> etc) the weight just falls off me.
>
> Since most people have the problem of dieting and not losing anything,
some
> people have the opposite. How much is it safe to lose in a week? I know that initially you lose
> alot (mostly water?) and it slows down, but i think mine will slow down to 4/5 pounds a week (even
> with a few tasty treats). Is this a safe sensible amount to
lose?

> I dont want to lose too much too soon since i had a big issue with loose skin last time, and thats
> pretty much cleared up. Its my pot belly that I need to lose. Doing situps and eating well as i
> said, just dont want to
lose
> too much too soon out of fear of lose skin instead of a lean tight
stomach,
> which is my dream!

As Deb said, 1-2 lbs. a week is considered healthy. Anything more, and you risk losing muscle as
well as fat (which is not a good thing). You may have a higher loss the first couple of weeks,
depending on how much you need to lose, your age, how many times you've lost and gained weight
before, etc.

Cheers, Petal

"Worried21" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have been doinn my diet (well, eating well and properly) for about 5
days
> now. As usual, if I eat properly and not loads of rubbish (crisps,
chocolate
> etc) the weight just falls off me.
>
> Since most people have the problem of dieting and not losing anything,
some
> people have the opposite. How much is it safe to lose in a week? I know that initially you lose
> alot (mostly water?) and it slows down, but i think mine will slow down to 4/5 pounds a week (even
> with a few tasty treats). Is this a safe sensible amount to
lose?

> I dont want to lose too much too soon since i had a big issue with loose skin last time, and thats
> pretty much cleared up. Its my pot belly that I need to lose. Doing situps and eating well as i
> said, just dont want to
lose
> too much too soon out of fear of lose skin instead of a lean tight
stomach,
> which is my dream!

Shouldn't lose more that 1-2 pounds per week. You're right fast weight loss means fast regain.

Worried21 wrote:

> I have been doinn my diet (well, eating well and properly) for about 5 days now. As usual, if I
> eat properly and not loads of rubbish (crisps, chocolate etc) the weight just falls off me.
>
> Since most people have the problem of dieting and not losing anything, some people have the
> opposite. How much is it safe to lose in a week? I know that initially you lose alot (mostly
> water?) and it slows down, but i think mine will slow down to 4/5 pounds a week (even with a few
> tasty treats). Is this a safe sensible amount to lose?
>
> I dont want to lose too much too soon since i had a big issue with loose skin last time, and thats
> pretty much cleared up. Its my pot belly that I need to lose. Doing situps and eating well as i
> said, just dont want to lose too much too soon out of fear of lose skin instead of a lean tight
> stomach, which is my dream!

WW recommends 1-1 1/2 lbs per week. If you are VERY heavy, you may lose more to start with, but this
initial rapid loss will slow down to a more sensible rate soon.

Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 00:18:32 -0000, "Worried21" <[email protected]> wrote:

>As usual, if I eat properly and not loads of rubbish (crisps, chocolate etc) the weight just
>falls off me.

>I dont want to lose too much too soon since i had a big issue with loose skin last time, and thats
>pretty much cleared up. Its my pot belly that I need to lose. Doing situps and eating well as i
>said, just dont want to lose too much too soon out of fear of lose skin instead of a lean tight
>stomach, which is my dream!

1-2 pounds is the standard response. But maybe you should try to limit it a bit more than that. Look
at 1lb a week maximum.

Also you should try eating as much protein as possible. One way I increased protein intake without
increasing fat is to buy some of the whey protein powder. Sprincle a measure on your porridge in
the morning, or sprinkle it into a milk shake (having a good breakfast is a great idea by the
way). It''ll help keep you full longer and help retain, and maybe gain some muscle if you are
doing some weights.

Take a look at http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm This shows that 140-184 is the 'normal'
range for a guy of your size/weight. So you target of 140 is a bit on the low side.

Take a look at http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html It'll give you an idea of how many
calories a day you need to maintain. 500 less than that = 1lb a week lost, 1000 less = 2lbs a week.
And www.fitday.com will help you track the calories accurately.

Have you been able to measure your bodyfat %?

Good luck.

Ray
--
rmnsuk overall - 273/209/182

Im going to try and keep it at 2 then, ill eat more so i dont lose.. but ill eat good stuff.

Stats - Im 21, 6 feet tall. 170 pounds, I would like to be 140 pounds. That may seem thin for
someone of 6 feet, but my only weight is fat, i dont have much muscle.

Eating habits - I eat porridge for breakfast. A sandwich for lunch, maybe a packet of crisps too
(potattoes chips in the USA), then for dinner a sensible meal. Not major health eating, not bad
eating. Just sensible. If I feel like a snack ill have fruit, or nuts, or raisons, or a rye/wheat
cracker. Not drining fizzy drinks anymore, just water.

Exercise - Im trying to do situps every night (since its my big round belly that i want to lose).
When I first started seeing my girlfriend I used to run down this road at her house. It was good
cause it was flat and straight and when you reached a certain sign post it was 1 mile exactly. So 2
miles there and back, i used to do this 3 times a week. I will do this again.

"Petal" <mrsdoyles_teapot@#NoSpam#yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As Deb said, 1-2 lbs. a week is considered healthy. Anything more, and you risk losing muscle as
> well as fat (which is not a good thing). You may
have
> a higher loss the first couple of weeks, depending on how much you need to lose, your age, how
> many times you've lost and gained weight before, etc.
>
> Cheers, Petal
>
> "Worried21" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I have been doinn my diet (well, eating well and properly) for about 5
> days
> > now. As usual, if I eat properly and not loads of rubbish (crisps,
> chocolate
> > etc) the weight just falls off me.
> >
> > Since most people have the problem of dieting and not losing anything,
> some
> > people have the opposite. How much is it safe to lose in a week? I know that initially you lose
> > alot (mostly water?) and it slows down, but i think mine will slow down to 4/5 pounds
> > week (even with a few tasty treats). Is this a safe sensible amount to
> lose?
> >
> > I dont want to lose too much too soon since i had a big issue with loose skin last time, and
> > thats pretty much cleared up. Its my pot belly that
> > need to lose. Doing situps and eating well as i said, just dont want to
> lose
> > too much too soon out of fear of lose skin instead of a lean tight
> stomach,
> > which is my dream!

Excellant advice ray.

Ill mention a few things:

I have never ever previously ate breakfast. I do not feel hungry in the morning and the thought of
food makes me feel sick. But recently I have been eating porridge (4 days) and im in the habit of
waking up and feeling the need for it! so thats good. I have noticed that it does indeed keep me
fuller. Previously at lunchtime i was soooo hungry and id overeat and feel bad, now i dont need a
big lunch. It also stops me impulse eating or buyign that sausage roll as a snack.

I already have some protein whey powder incidently, which I will start taking again as soon as i've
found out what workout methods I will be using in order to tone up.

The way I see it is this: Im not fat, but im the higher end of normal weight for my height. I want
to trim down a bit (ill probably stop before i reach 140 pounds if i think im looking too thin),
then I will start toning up with weights.

To trim down, as well as eating well, I will go running 2 miles 3 times a week. This should
sort it out.

In relation to the bodyfat question: Not as yet, I happened to see some scales that measure weight
and bodyfat in a shop yesterday for £30. Made by 'sharper image'. They looked quite good. Im aware
of the benefit, you can see that you have indeed put weight ON but your body fat has gone down, thus
meaning you have lost weight and gained muscle. Correct? im learning :)

"ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 00:18:32 -0000, "Worried21" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >As usual, if I eat properly and not loads of rubbish (crisps, chocolate etc) the weight just
> >falls off me.
>
> >I dont want to lose too much too soon since i had a big issue with loose skin last time, and
> >thats pretty much cleared up. Its my pot belly that I need to lose. Doing situps and eating well
> >as i said, just dont want to
lose
> >too much too soon out of fear of lose skin instead of a lean tight
stomach,
> >which is my dream!
>
> 1-2 pounds is the standard response. But maybe you should try to limit it a bit more than that.
> Look at 1lb a week maximum.
>
> Also you should try eating as much protein as possible. One way I increased protein intake without
> increasing fat is to buy some of the whey protein powder. Sprincle a measure on your porridge in
> the morning, or sprinkle it into a milk shake (having a good breakfast is a great idea by the
> way). It''ll help keep you full longer and help retain, and maybe gain some muscle if you are
> doing some weights.
>
> Take a look at http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm This shows that 140-184 is the 'normal'
> range for a guy of your size/weight. So you target of 140 is a bit on the low side.
>
> Take a look at http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html It'll give you an idea of how many
> calories a day you need to maintain. 500 less than that = 1lb a week lost, 1000 less = 2lbs a
> week. And www.fitday.com will help you track the calories accurately.
>
> Have you been able to measure your bodyfat %?
>
> Good luck.
>
> Ray
> --
> rmnsuk overall - 273/209/182

> Eating habits - I eat porridge for breakfast. A sandwich for lunch, maybe
> packet of crisps too (potattoes chips in the USA), then for dinner a sensible meal. Not major
> health eating, not bad eating. Just sensible. If
> feel like a snack ill have fruit, or nuts, or raisons, or a rye/wheat cracker. Not drining fizzy
> drinks anymore, just water.

You might want to check out the nutritional info on the crisp. There are 400-500 grams of fat in
just 100 grams of potato chips. 100 grams is half a regular bag of chips (about 4 oz/100 grams). You
may be eating more calories than you think. A part from that, potato chips do not really fill your
stomach...

> Exercise - Im trying to do situps every night (since its my big round
belly
> that i want to lose).

When you do situps you definitely strengthen your ab muscles, which will give you a better posture.
But it will still be hiding behind the belly fat. Doing sit ups does not remove the belly, since you
can spot-reduce. But overall muscle training and cardi-exercise will help burn off the fat, so that
the ab muscles eventually will show.

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:27:46 -0000, "Worried21" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have never ever previously ate breakfast.

I never ate breakfast as well, until I joined this group and it really helps. I'm still not a
morning person.

>I already have some protein whey powder incidently, which I will start taking again as soon as i've
>found out what workout methods I will be using in order to tone up.

I got some weights from Argos, or you could look in the local papers. This time of year is great for
weights/cardio machines:) I do squat, deadlift, bench, and rows three times a week, then fill a
session to 40 minutes with curls, calf raises, dumbbell rows, leg extensions, pressups, etc or
whatever takes my fancy. Then cardio the other three days - actually i have real problems with
cardio, but I try. The EX-RX site shows how to do the exercises, and what muscles they work.

>The way I see it is this: Im not fat, but im the higher end of normal weight for my height. I want
>to trim down a bit (ill probably stop before i reach 140 pounds if i think im looking too thin),
>then I will start toning up with weights.

sounds good.

>To trim down, as well as eating well, I will go running 2 miles 3 times a week. This should
>sort it out.
>
>Im aware of the benefit, you can see that you have indeed put weight ON but your body fat has gone
>down, thus meaning you have lost weight and gained muscle. Correct? im learning :)

:)

Ray
--
rmnsuk overall - 273/209/182

Why are you wanting to lose more weight, you are within the guidelines for someone of your height?
The guidelines say that an adult 6 feet tall, should weigh between 147-184 lbs. If you weigh 170 you
are right in the middle and if you are complaining about a large tummy, have you looked at the kids
that are starving in third world countries? They have tummies like that too, but they are
malnourished and because of poor diets they have distended tummies. This is only my opinion, but I
would start going to a gym and eating better. More fruits and vegetables are needed in your diet and
quality proteins. Maybe you should start working out with a trainer, to get yourself into shape so
you can sculpt the body you want rather than dropping 30 lbs and still having a distended tummy due
to the poor eating habits.

Just my two cents/pence worth, take it for what it is worth.

> [...]

> > > etc) the weight just falls off me.
> > >
> > > Since most people have the problem of dieting and not losing
anything,
> > some
> > > people have the opposite. How much is it safe to lose in a week? I know that initially you
> > > lose alot (mostly water?) and it slows down, but i think mine will slow down to 4/5
pounds
> > > week (even with a few tasty treats). Is this a safe sensible amount to
> > lose?
> > >
> > > I dont want to lose too much too soon since i had a big issue with
loose
> > > skin last time, and thats pretty much cleared up. Its my pot belly
that
> > > need to lose. Doing situps and eating well as i said, just dont want
> > lose
> > > too much too soon out of fear of lose skin instead of a lean tight

Ah, finally, some frank, a..kicking advice. Way to go!

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:01:13 -0800, "Deb in Northern California"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>belly
>> that i want to lose). When I first started seeing my girlfriend I used to run down this road at
>> her house. It was good cause it was flat and
>straight
>> and when you reached a certain sign post it was 1 mile exactly. So 2 miles there and back, i used
>> to do this 3 times a week. I will do this again.
>>

>> "Petal" <mrsdoyles_teapot@#NoSpam#yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > As Deb said, 1-2 lbs. a week is considered healthy. Anything more, and
>you
>> > risk losing muscle as well as fat (which is not a good thing). You may
>> have
>> > a higher loss the first couple of weeks, depending on how much you need
>> > lose, your age, how many times you've lost and gained weight before,

I don't tend to say much most times, as someone else always says it, but this man needs a kick in
the pants if he thinks he is fat, when he is truly malnourishing himself.

Debbie