How much is too much

JamesAA

Aug 10, 2013
I tend to cycle an hour a day, 7 days a week. Some days my legs are dead and I just coast. Other days I feel like I'm 18 (unfortunately I'm 43 in reality) and I'll mix in some sprints during that time. But lately my legs have been feeling really sluggish. I know tons of people that cycle every day. Is that too much? Just I schedule in rest days and if so how much and what is a "rest day"? Doing literally no activities including walking (except walking to and from your car, at your house, and other life needs)? Or should I just listen to my body, meaning if I feel ok after 30 straight days of cycling, just keep going til my body says "no more" (at which point I guess I could take a day or two off)?

Appreciate any feedback. I tend to go until I'm broken...

I cross train so I have lots of cycling free days. But I pretty much do something everyday, cycling, resistance training or running. I've never cycled for 30 straight days. It's a rare week that I would do nothing for two straight days.

I tend to think quality over quantity. If you can go harder after resting, then that's your answer. Personally, if I was putting in the time to ride nearly every day, I would invest in one of these periodization plans, you can try and get one of those temple programs off of training peaks or invest in some coaching. I'm a 3-4 day a week cyclist, but most of my time on the bike is planned training. I have a buddy who is 6 day a week but lots more junk miles. We both seem to end up at the same place. I'm certainly more efficient with my time. It's hard to maintain intensity without adequate recovery.

At 50, I do need to rest more than I did at 25. As far as rest day, hard to define. I know folks who bike commute every day, so a rest day is one where they are not commuting and training.

The thing is, a lot of the people that cycle every day either have built up to that over a long period of time, or mix in easier days (or both). If you are starting to feel sluggish, I would back off. That is likely fatigue starting to accumulate. Some accumulated fatigue is required for positive training adaptions (which happens following rest), however if too much fatigue acculturates, it can be an issue and can take a long time to recover.

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if I could ask your thoughts on a nutrition app that a friend and I are in the early stages of developing - don't know if you would find this kind of thing useful, and would be great to hear what else we should do doing to make it more useful..

We are both relatively keen road cyclists and it's born out of that really.

First version is a mobile app which gives you your guideline calorie requirement, per meal, broken down by macro, based on your vitals, and your exercise regime. It synchronises instantly with your training apps to give real time updated nutritional requirements for each meal.

It allows you to plan days and workouts to get your planner in advance. It adjust real time based on the workout done. It allows you to compare to past workouts to allow you to work out what you should replicate in your nutrition, and what you should change to drive up performance.

It allows you to differentiate between your baseline requirement and what you need to fuel for and recover from your workouts.

What do you think? Would be great to have your thoughts.

Thanks a lot, Dan

I don't know how much time should we just go for biking. I don't even push my self yet for a very long travel using my bike. Actually I only have one to two hours of biking times per week, and only just happened during weekends. I hope I have enough time for my bike.

You don't have to bike every day if you're feeling fatigued; you can just bike on alternate days leaving 1 day for rest so that you can perform better on your biking days. there really is no guideline - your body is your limit so if you feel really tired, listen to your body and rest.

When I was riding around the village, it depends on my condition. Sometimes I ride for 30 minutes and quit when I feel tired. And there are times that stay on the road for more than an hour when my condition seems excellent. But one cyclist said that I should regulate my biking so my body will not be abused. What he means was even if I feel good, I should not ride for a longer time than the usual.

What I'll give to be 18 again, you know what I miss most? The endorphin rush, haven't had one in decades. Back in my younger years I would ride using a BMX until i reach my limits and go beyond that until i get the rush of adrenalin and my energy level would double. Right now if I do it I might have a heart attack o_O

You don't have to bike every day if you're feeling fatigued; you can just bike on alternate days leaving 1 day for rest so that you can perform better on your biking days. there really is no guideline - your body is your limit so if you feel really tired, listen to your body and rest.

This is true in the sense that taking note of how the body reacts is quite important and there is nothing we can do to improve the situation rather than taking rest and getting going the next day. If the body is weak, the best to do is to take some rest and afterwards, take continue.

How much is too much? Well, if you keep on cycling and cycling even though your body tells you that you also need to take a break from cycling. I guess it's okay to do cycling everyday as long as not too long of hours in the road roaming around for no reason. Habit of cycling everyday is not that bad as long as you can rest well at the same time. Do not bike too much if your body tells you already. I know that biking is really kind of somehow addicting but make sure that you don't abuse your body on it. And yes I also agree with resting for 1 to 2 days before you go on heavy cycling activity again.

This is true in the sense that taking note of how the body reacts is quite important and there is nothing we can do to improve the situation rather than taking rest and getting going the next day. If the body is weak, the best to do is to take some rest and afterwards, take continue.

Yeah, also it doesn't hurt to have a few days of rest and miss some of your workout rather than force yourself, resulting to injury which causes you to even miss out on more days than if you have just rested.

Yeah, also it doesn't hurt to have a few days of rest and miss some of your workout rather than force yourself, resulting to injury which causes you to even miss out on more days than if you have just rested.

You are right for we won't decide to continue riding as a result of the joy that we get from it and thus, put ourselves under the danger of missing out for some more days as a result of injury. That is not really a good way to handle things as long as I am concerned.

The thing is, a lot of the people that cycle every day either have built up to that over a long period of time, or mix in easier days (or both). If you are starting to feel sluggish, I would back off. That is likely fatigue starting to accumulate. Some accumulated fatigue is required for positive training adaptions (which happens following rest), however if too much fatigue acculturates, it can be an issue and can take a long time to recover.

Practicing over a period of time makes the body to master certain conditions and that is the reason some of those people now feel okay riding day in and day out without feeling any pains. However, such is not advisable for those that are starting out for it is always going to be dangerous for them and causing pains for them.

Hey there! I totally agree, practicing regularly is key to improving your skills and becoming comfortable on the bike. It's important to gradually push yourself and not rush into intense riding if you're a beginner. Take the time to build up your strength and technique before tackling more challenging terrain. Safety should always come first, so start with easier trails and progress at your own pace. Remember to always listen to your body and take breaks when needed. Happy riding! :)

Absolutely! Consistent practice is the foundation of cycling improvement. And I can't stress enough the importance of gradual progression, especially for beginners. It's not just about building physical strength, but also developing your technique and confidence.

When it comes to high-velocity cycling, safety becomes even more critical. While it's true that we aim for speed, it should never compromise our safety or the enjoyment of the ride. Start slow, master the basics, then gradually increase your pace as you gain experience.

Remember, high-velocity cycling isn't just about raw power; aerodynamics and efficiency play significant roles too. So, focus on streamlined positioning and smooth transitions between gears. This will help you cut through the air more easily, reducing drag and increasing your speed.

Lastly, always trust your instincts. If something feels off or too risky, don't hesitate to slow down or dismount. The goal is to enjoy the ride and improve over time, not to prove anything to anyone. Happy cycling! :)

Absolutely! You've hit the nail on the head when it comes to the importance of gradual progression and mastering the basics in downhill and aggressive trail riding. I'd like to add that mental preparation is equally crucial.

Before hitting the trails, take a moment to visualize your ride, focusing on potential challenges and how you'll navigate them. This mental rehearsal can help build confidence and reduce anxiety, allowing you to stay focused and in control during your ride.

Additionally, consider incorporating mindfulness techniques into your practice. Being fully present in the moment can enhance your awareness of your body, the bike, and the environment, enabling you to make quicker, more informed decisions and react more efficiently to changing conditions.

Lastly, don't forget about the power of community. Engaging with other riders, sharing tips and experiences, and learning from one another can significantly boost your progress and enjoyment of the sport. Happy cycling, and ride on! :)

Absolutely, mental preparation is key in high-velocity cycling. Building on your points, I'd like to add the significance of physical conditioning. Regular strength and flexibility exercises can improve your bike control and reduce the risk of injuries. Also, don't underestimate the importance of a well-maintained bike. Regular checks and tune-ups can ensure your bike is performing at its best, contributing to your overall speed and safety. Happy cycling! :)

While consistency is key in cycling, it's also important to allow your body to rest and recover. Overtraining can lead to fatigue and decreased performance. A rest day doesn't necessarily mean doing no activities at all. Light activities like walking or stretching can actually promote recovery. The American College of Sports Medicine recommends taking at least one rest day per week, but this can vary depending on your individual needs and training goals. If you're feeling sluggish, it might be a sign that you need to incorporate more rest days into your routine. It's also worth noting that the quality of your training is more important than the quantity. Mixing up your cycling routine with different types of workouts, including endurance rides, sprints, and hill climbs, can help prevent plateaus and keep your training interesting.