How much money have you spent on cycling?

MotownBikeBoy

Nov 24, 2012
I was thinking about that this afternoon - to date in the past 16 months, I estimate I have spent about $11,000.00 US. Three new bikes and a whole lot of gear and clothes add up. I don't begrudge myself this one bit, it is an investment in health and happiness. So, what is everyone spending?

I don't maintain a list of what I've spent on cycling. Sure I could do the bank records and the like, but it's not of real interest to me. The only costs I have listed are for my next bike. What I get out of cycling is worth whatever I've spent on it. I will admit, however, that the pin, plate, and screws in my hip were an expensive cycling expenditure.

MotownBikeBoy said:
Yeah, I would say a surgical repair is a pretty steep price to pay. Ouch.
"He who dies with the most bikes and/or scars and/or metal orthopedic bits wins." --Abraham Lincoln

Could be - I'll have 32 new scars just from today - gotta put me in the running. Alas, no implants or repairs, no broken bones to date. I can always buy more bikes, though.

Originally Posted by jhuskey

I would rather not think about it.
$1000+ in saddles alone and that's over dozens of bikes, then there's the wheelsets (oi vey), the tools, the stand (or two), the many pumps both floor and frame-fitting (I broke my original Silca with the Campy plastic head [which I preferred over the metal head] on the hood of an NYC cab), the dozens of latex innies, the decade of decadent tubular use (and discardment), the bibs, the knickers, the jerseys, the multitude of cleats, race fees, aero "accessories", and the like, Jesus what have I done?

I also don't want to know. In saying this, I am a Platinum member and a gold member on a couple of other sites. Sometimes I get on these sites and feel like a chronic gambler or alcoholic. It's all good. I don't have regrets but the missus sure does.

Carbon Fiber Bike - $5000.00
Stationer Trainer- $1200.00
Various Accessories- $2000.00

155 lbs with resting HR of 44- PRICELESS

Reactions: Cycle Drama
Originally Posted by danfoz
Jesus what have I done?
Hey danfoz, you know what you need? You need a friend. A Carbon Fiber friend... Mr. Carbon Fiber doesnt judge you danfoz... Mr. Carbon Fiber likes you just the way you are. Look how light and fast he is... There you go... That will just be 4000 dollars... There you go...
big-smile.png

0.jpg

I kept a record of all of my bike purchases and my 28 bike collection is worth around $39,700. I need to know this for insurance purposes in case someone robs my house and steals all of my bikes.

Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy

I was thinking about that this afternoon - to date in the past 16 months, I estimate I have spent about $11,000.00 US. Three new bikes and a whole lot of gear and clothes add up.

I don't begrudge myself this one bit, it is an investment in health and happiness.

So, what is everyone spending?
Health benefits are overrated. Over $100K in medical bills following an accident. But with insurance and all I came out $125K ahead. Limp. unable to walk more than 4 miles before my knees hurt.

Mosl likely my spending is under $3K/year. Plus $1K for food on rides.

An old Guy said:
Health benefits are overrated. Over $100K in medical bills following an accident. But with insurance and all I came out $125K ahead. Limp. unable to walk more than 4 miles before my knees hurt. Mosl likely my spending is under $3K/year. Plus $1K for food on rides.
Poor baby. Your pathetic comments about what you think is overrated are.....well, they don't even rate.

MotownBikeBoy said:
Yeah, I would say a surgical repair is a pretty steep price to pay. Ouch.
Unless you can get someone else's insurance company to pay for it, and all the pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment. :big-smile:

mpre53 said:
Unless you can get someone else's insurance company to pay for it, and all the pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment. :big-smile:
Exactly. That sort of coverage usually comes with bonus funds.

Originally Posted by Volnix

Hey danfoz, you know what you need? You need a friend. A Carbon Fiber friend... Mr. Carbon Fiber doesnt judge you danfoz... Mr. Carbon Fiber likes you just the way you are. Look how light and fast he is... There you go...
I hope Santa was nice to everyone yesterday.

This wouldn't fit through the chimney so he's sending it by UPS...

It's certainly gonna cure my horizontal top tube envy
big-smile.png