How much of beef kidneys must you cut out?

Abdul Rahim

Guest
Obviously, the white gristly or fatty parts that smell like **** have to go.

But if you slice the kidney open, do you also cut out the dark-red spots? Looks incredibly
laborious.

Fran

Guest
"abdul rahim" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Obviously, the white gristly or fatty parts that smell like **** have to go.

??? Smell like ****? your butcher should be shot if your kidneys are smelling like ****. they should
not smell of anmything but an uncooked meat smell.

> But if you slice the kidney open, do you also cut out the dark-red spots? Looks incredibly
> laborious.

The kidney should have the small tube cut off (and this also is most commonly covered in white fat).
Slice it in half and then the tubes will be showing. Normally these should not need cutting out at
all but if you think any of them are sudpect then they shoudl be sliced off too. Not a lot of work
just a nice sharp knife and a delicate touch.

Sheep kidneys are far better than beef kidneys so you should try to get them in preference to the
beef ones.

Dana

Guest
[email protected] (abdul rahim) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Obviously, the white gristly or fatty parts that smell like **** have to go.
>
> But if you slice the kidney open, do you also cut out the dark-red spots? Looks incredibly
> laborious.

First of all, store (butcher) bought kidneys are not supposed to smell like that.

We have our own sheep at home, so these super fresh kidneys do smell at first, but the trick is to
let them soak in milk, en regularly replace the milk with fresh one. Doing so, they will lose that
awful smell.

And in answer to your actual question: I just remove the white/fatty parts of a kidney.

Abdul Rahim

Guest
Sure they smell that way. That is unavoidable with kidneys.

Why should sheep kidneys taste any better than beef kidneys? What is the difference?

"Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> ??? Smell like ****? your butcher should be shot if your kidneys are smelling like ****. they
> should not smell of anmything but an uncooked meat smell.
>
> > But if you slice the kidney open, do you also cut out the dark-red spots? Looks incredibly
> > laborious.
>
> The kidney should have the small tube cut off (and this also is most commonly covered in white
> fat). Slice it in half and then the tubes will be showing. Normally these should not need cutting
> out at all but if you think any of them are sudpect then they shoudl be sliced off too. Not a lot
> of work just a nice sharp knife and a delicate touch.
>
> Sheep kidneys are far better than beef kidneys so you should try to get them in preference to the
> beef ones.

Fran

Guest
"abdul rahim" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Sure they smell that way. That is unavoidable with kidneys.

I love kidneys and we eat them often. I have never had one that smelled of **** and if I did I
wouldn't eat it. You can eat pissy smelling ones if you want but I would verbally tear strips off my
butcher and never go back there again if I ever got a **** smelling one.

> Why should sheep kidneys taste any better than beef kidneys? What is the
difference?

Sheep kidneys have a nicer flavour and are not as coarse.

Arri London

Guest
abdul rahim wrote:

> Obviously, the white gristly or fatty parts that smell like **** have to go.

There's something very wrong with the kidneys if they smell like that. Have been eating them from
time to time for most of my life and have never had any that smell that way. Get another source;
those dont' sound either clean or fresh.

> But if you slice the kidney open, do you also cut out the dark-red spots? Looks incredibly
> laborious.

Other than the core and stray bits that don't look like meat, no need to cut anything else out. Soak
them in water for a while and the dark red spots will disappear anyway.

Themom1

Guest
Yuk! My hubby likes lamb kidneys, I don't. I will eat veal or beef and use them in steak and kidney
stew, but not lamb.

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the object
of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him

<>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html

225/188.4/145

"Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "abdul rahim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > Sure they smell that way. That is unavoidable with kidneys.
>
> I love kidneys and we eat them often. I have never had one that smelled
of
> **** and if I did I wouldn't eat it. You can eat pissy smelling ones if
you
> want but I would verbally tear strips off my butcher and never go back
there
> again if I ever got a **** smelling one.
>
> > Why should sheep kidneys taste any better than beef kidneys? What is the
> difference?
>
> Sheep kidneys have a nicer flavour and are not as coarse.

-L.

Guest
[email protected] (Carmen Dioxide) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (abdul rahim) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Obviously, the white gristly or fatty parts that smell like **** have to go.
> >

> :::: thwlowing up :::::

No doubt. Why eat an organ where the primary function is to filter waste (liver or kidney) when
there is so much tasty muscle tissue around?

-L.

Katra

Guest

Nancy Young

Guest
Katra wrote:

> I'd say the entire kidney must go. ;-P I just will not eat that stuff! Ew!!!

Are you home already?? Anyway, I'm with you on the organ meat thing.

nancy

Katra

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > I'd say the entire kidney must go. ;-P I just will not eat that stuff! Ew!!!
>
> Are you home already?? Anyway, I'm with you on the organ meat thing.
>
> nancy

<lol> Got home Friday night... Late. it's taken me this long to get caught up. :)

I need to write a report on florida...

The chef at the hotel restaraunt was SUPERB. High priced, but worth it.... and they had no problem
doing custom requests. It was the "Armillary Grill" at the Intercontinental Hotel in Miami. :)

Coulter paid for the rooms, and 20 bucks per day for dinner. Breakfast buffet was free.

I've never stayed in a Hotel that charged $300.00 per night before...... Glad I was not paying!

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<[email protected]>,,<

Loki

Guest
il 24 Jan 2004 20:41:25 -0800, [email protected] (abdul
rahim) ha scritto:

> Obviously, the white gristly or fatty parts that smell like **** have to go.
>
> But if you slice the kidney open, do you also cut out the dark-red spots? Looks incredibly
> laborious.

Chuck the whole lot to the dog I say. Who wants to eat filters?

--
Cheers, Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]

Arri London

Guest
"-L." wrote:

> [email protected] (Carmen Dioxide) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (abdul rahim) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Obviously, the white gristly or fatty parts that smell like **** have to go.
> > >

> > :::: thwlowing up :::::
>
> No doubt. Why eat an organ where the primary function is to filter waste (liver or kidney) when
> there is so much tasty muscle tissue around?
>
> -L.

ROTFL! And where do you think those waste products are generated?

-L.

Guest
Arri London <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "-L." wrote:
> >
> > [email protected] (Carmen Dioxide) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > [email protected] (abdul rahim) wrote in message
> > > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > >

> > > :::: thwlowing up :::::
> >
> > No doubt. Why eat an organ where the primary function is to filter waste (liver or kidney) when
> > there is so much tasty muscle tissue around?
> >
> > -L.
>
> ROTFL! And where do you think those waste products are generated?

Well, they don't get filtered out and collect there, ya know.

-L. (Who doesn't eat meat anyway)

Carmen Dioxide

Guest
[email protected] (-L.) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Carmen Dioxide) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (abdul rahim) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Obviously, the white gristly or fatty parts that smell like **** have to go.
> > >

> > :::: thwlowing up :::::
>
> No doubt. Why eat an organ where the primary function is to filter waste (liver or kidney) when
> there is so much tasty muscle tissue around?

I LOVE calves liver. Kidneys make me gag.

Abdul Rahim

Guest
organs have a distinctive flavor that i cherish, muscle meats bore me.

the odor of urine is not so pronounced as to arouse alarm, the way some of you have written. but
there is a definite reek of it on your fingers after handling the white, fatty part.

i'll stop cutting out the dark red parts, if you guys don't. it was incredibly hard work and reduced
the yield of kidney to about 30%.

Arri London <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "-L." wrote:
> >
> > [email protected] (Carmen Dioxide) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > [email protected] (abdul rahim) wrote in message
> > > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > >

> > > :::: thwlowing up :::::
> >
> > No doubt. Why eat an organ where the primary function is to filter waste (liver or kidney) when
> > there is so much tasty muscle tissue around?
> >
> > -L.
>
> ROTFL! And where do you think those waste products are generated?

Peter Aitken

Guest
"-L." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Arri London <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "-L." wrote:
> > >
> > > [email protected] (Carmen Dioxide) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
news:<[email protected]>...

> > > No doubt. Why eat an organ where the primary function is to filter waste (liver or kidney)
> > > when there is so much tasty muscle tissue around?
> > >
> > > -L.
> >
> > ROTFL! And where do you think those waste products are generated?
>

> Well, they don't get filtered out and collect there, ya know.

They don't get filtered out and collected in the liver or kidney either. Also, the function of the
liver is not to filter waste.

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

Arri London

Guest
"-L." wrote:

> Arri London <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > "-L." wrote:
> > >
> > > [email protected] (Carmen Dioxide) wrote in message
> > > news:<[email protected]>...

> > > No doubt. Why eat an organ where the primary function is to filter waste (liver or kidney)
> > > when there is so much tasty muscle tissue around?
> > >
> > > -L.
> >
> > ROTFL! And where do you think those waste products are generated?
>
> Well, they don't get filtered out and collect there, ya know.
>
> -L. (Who doesn't eat meat anyway)

They *do* collect in muscle; there is no mechanism for instaneous removal. Once the animal is
slaughtered they stay there. The kidneys are certainly a filter and the waste is *removed* and ends
up in the urine in a healthy animal. Of course there still might be some at slaughter as well, but
not necessarily in any more quantity than the muscle.

Arri London

Guest
abdul rahim wrote:

> organs have a distinctive flavor that i cherish, muscle meats bore me.
>
> the odor of urine is not so pronounced as to arouse alarm, the way some of you have written. but
> there is a definite reek of it on your fingers after handling the white, fatty part.

Still need to find a better source of kidneys. We have never had that problem after handling any
part of the kidney.

> i'll stop cutting out the dark red parts, if you guys don't. it was incredibly hard work and
> reduced the yield of kidney to about 30%.

LOL! Not surprised.