How much of beef kidneys must you cut out?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Abdul Rahim, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. Abdul Rahim

    Abdul Rahim Guest

    Obviously, the white gristly or fatty parts that smell like piss have to go.

    But if you slice the kidney open, do you also cut out the dark-red spots? Looks incredibly
    laborious.

    Tags:

  2. Fran

    Fran Guest

    "abdul rahim" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Obviously, the white gristly or fatty parts that smell like piss have to go.

    ??? Smell like piss? your butcher should be shot if your kidneys are smelling like piss. they should
    not smell of anmything but an uncooked meat smell.

    > But if you slice the kidney open, do you also cut out the dark-red spots? Looks incredibly
    > laborious.

    The kidney should have the small tube cut off (and this also is most commonly covered in white fat).
    Slice it in half and then the tubes will be showing. Normally these should not need cutting out at
    all but if you think any of them are sudpect then they shoudl be sliced off too. Not a lot of work
    just a nice sharp knife and a delicate touch.

    Sheep kidneys are far better than beef kidneys so you should try to get them in preference to the
    beef ones.

  3. Dana

    Dana Guest

    [email protected] (abdul rahim) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Obviously, the white gristly or fatty parts that smell like piss have to go.
    >
    > But if you slice the kidney open, do you also cut out the dark-red spots? Looks incredibly
    > laborious.

    First of all, store (butcher) bought kidneys are not supposed to smell like that.

    We have our own sheep at home, so these super fresh kidneys do smell at first, but the trick is to
    let them soak in milk, en regularly replace the milk with fresh one. Doing so, they will lose that
    awful smell.

    And in answer to your actual question: I just remove the white/fatty parts of a kidney.

  4. garth.1.r[email protected] (abdul rahim) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Obviously, the white gristly or fatty parts that smell like piss have to go.

    :::: thwlowing up :::::

  5. Abdul Rahim

    Abdul Rahim Guest

    Sure they smell that way. That is unavoidable with kidneys.

    Why should sheep kidneys taste any better than beef kidneys? What is the difference?

    "Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > ??? Smell like piss? your butcher should be shot if your kidneys are smelling like piss. they
    > should not smell of anmything but an uncooked meat smell.
    >
    > > But if you slice the kidney open, do you also cut out the dark-red spots? Looks incredibly
    > > laborious.
    >
    > The kidney should have the small tube cut off (and this also is most commonly covered in white
    > fat). Slice it in half and then the tubes will be showing. Normally these should not need cutting
    > out at all but if you think any of them are sudpect then they shoudl be sliced off too. Not a lot
    > of work just a nice sharp knife and a delicate touch.
    >
    > Sheep kidneys are far better than beef kidneys so you should try to get them in preference to the
    > beef ones.

  6. Fran

    Fran Guest

    "abdul rahim" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Sure they smell that way. That is unavoidable with kidneys.

    I love kidneys and we eat them often. I have never had one that smelled of piss and if I did I
    wouldn't eat it. You can eat pissy smelling ones if you want but I would verbally tear strips off my
    butcher and never go back there again if I ever got a piss smelling one.

    > Why should sheep kidneys taste any better than beef kidneys? What is the
    difference?

    Sheep kidneys have a nicer flavour and are not as coarse.

  7. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    abdul rahim wrote:

    > Obviously, the white gristly or fatty parts that smell like piss have to go.

    There's something very wrong with the kidneys if they smell like that. Have been eating them from
    time to time for most of my life and have never had any that smell that way. Get another source;
    those dont' sound either clean or fresh.

    > But if you slice the kidney open, do you also cut out the dark-red spots? Looks incredibly
    > laborious.

    Other than the core and stray bits that don't look like meat, no need to cut anything else out. Soak
    them in water for a while and the dark red spots will disappear anyway.

  8. Themom1

    Themom1 Guest

    Yuk! My hubby likes lamb kidneys, I don't. I will eat veal or beef and use them in steak and kidney
    stew, but not lamb.

    --
    Helen

    Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the object
    of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him

    <>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

    http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html

    http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html

    225/188.4/145

    "Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "abdul rahim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > > Sure they smell that way. That is unavoidable with kidneys.
    >
    > I love kidneys and we eat them often. I have never had one that smelled
    of
    > piss and if I did I wouldn't eat it. You can eat pissy smelling ones if
    you
    > want but I would verbally tear strips off my butcher and never go back
    there
    > again if I ever got a piss smelling one.
    >
    > > Why should sheep kidneys taste any better than beef kidneys? What is the
    > difference?
    >
    > Sheep kidneys have a nicer flavour and are not as coarse.

  9. -L.

    -L. Guest

    [email protected] (Carmen Dioxide) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (abdul rahim) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Obviously, the white gristly or fatty parts that smell like piss have to go.
    > >

    > :::: thwlowing up :::::

    No doubt. Why eat an organ where the primary function is to filter waste (liver or kidney) when
    there is so much tasty muscle tissue around?

    -L.

  10. Katra

    Katra Guest

  11. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    Katra wrote:

    > I'd say the entire kidney must go. ;-P I just will not eat that stuff! Ew!!!

    Are you home already?? Anyway, I'm with you on the organ meat thing.

    nancy

  12. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Katra wrote:
    >
    > > I'd say the entire kidney must go. ;-P I just will not eat that stuff! Ew!!!
    >
    > Are you home already?? Anyway, I'm with you on the organ meat thing.
    >
    > nancy

    <lol> Got home Friday night... Late. it's taken me this long to get caught up. :)

    I need to write a report on florida...

    The chef at the hotel restaraunt was SUPERB. High priced, but worth it.... and they had no problem
    doing custom requests. It was the "Armillary Grill" at the Intercontinental Hotel in Miami. :)

    Coulter paid for the rooms, and 20 bucks per day for dinner. Breakfast buffet was free.

    I've never stayed in a Hotel that charged $300.00 per night before...... Glad I was not paying!

    K.

    --
    >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<[email protected]>,,<

  13. Loki

    Loki Guest

    il 24 Jan 2004 20:41:25 -0800, [email protected] (abdul
    rahim) ha scritto:

    > Obviously, the white gristly or fatty parts that smell like piss have to go.
    >
    > But if you slice the kidney open, do you also cut out the dark-red spots? Looks incredibly
    > laborious.

    Chuck the whole lot to the dog I say. Who wants to eat filters?

    --
    Cheers, Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]

  14. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    "-L." wrote:

    > [email protected] (Carmen Dioxide) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (abdul rahim) wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Obviously, the white gristly or fatty parts that smell like piss have to go.
    > > >

    > > :::: thwlowing up :::::
    >
    > No doubt. Why eat an organ where the primary function is to filter waste (liver or kidney) when
    > there is so much tasty muscle tissue around?
    >
    > -L.

    ROTFL! And where do you think those waste products are generated?

  15. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Arri London <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "-L." wrote:
    > >
    > > [email protected] (Carmen Dioxide) wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > [email protected] (abdul rahim) wrote in message
    > > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > >

    > > > :::: thwlowing up :::::
    > >
    > > No doubt. Why eat an organ where the primary function is to filter waste (liver or kidney) when
    > > there is so much tasty muscle tissue around?
    > >
    > > -L.
    >
    > ROTFL! And where do you think those waste products are generated?

    Well, they don't get filtered out and collect there, ya know.

    -L. (Who doesn't eat meat anyway)

  16. [email protected] (-L.) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Carmen Dioxide) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (abdul rahim) wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Obviously, the white gristly or fatty parts that smell like piss have to go.
    > > >

    > > :::: thwlowing up :::::
    >
    > No doubt. Why eat an organ where the primary function is to filter waste (liver or kidney) when
    > there is so much tasty muscle tissue around?

    I LOVE calves liver. Kidneys make me gag.

  17. Abdul Rahim

    Abdul Rahim Guest

    organs have a distinctive flavor that i cherish, muscle meats bore me.

    the odor of urine is not so pronounced as to arouse alarm, the way some of you have written. but
    there is a definite reek of it on your fingers after handling the white, fatty part.

    i'll stop cutting out the dark red parts, if you guys don't. it was incredibly hard work and reduced
    the yield of kidney to about 30%.

    Arri London <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "-L." wrote:
    > >
    > > [email protected] (Carmen Dioxide) wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > [email protected] (abdul rahim) wrote in message
    > > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > >

    > > > :::: thwlowing up :::::
    > >
    > > No doubt. Why eat an organ where the primary function is to filter waste (liver or kidney) when
    > > there is so much tasty muscle tissue around?
    > >
    > > -L.
    >
    > ROTFL! And where do you think those waste products are generated?

  18. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "-L." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Arri London <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "-L." wrote:
    > > >
    > > > [email protected] (Carmen Dioxide) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > No doubt. Why eat an organ where the primary function is to filter waste (liver or kidney)
    > > > when there is so much tasty muscle tissue around?
    > > >
    > > > -L.
    > >
    > > ROTFL! And where do you think those waste products are generated?
    >

    > Well, they don't get filtered out and collect there, ya know.

    They don't get filtered out and collected in the liver or kidney either. Also, the function of the
    liver is not to filter waste.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  19. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    "-L." wrote:

    > Arri London <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "-L." wrote:
    > > >
    > > > [email protected] (Carmen Dioxide) wrote in message
    > > > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > No doubt. Why eat an organ where the primary function is to filter waste (liver or kidney)
    > > > when there is so much tasty muscle tissue around?
    > > >
    > > > -L.
    > >
    > > ROTFL! And where do you think those waste products are generated?
    >
    > Well, they don't get filtered out and collect there, ya know.
    >
    > -L. (Who doesn't eat meat anyway)

    They *do* collect in muscle; there is no mechanism for instaneous removal. Once the animal is
    slaughtered they stay there. The kidneys are certainly a filter and the waste is *removed* and ends
    up in the urine in a healthy animal. Of course there still might be some at slaughter as well, but
    not necessarily in any more quantity than the muscle.

  20. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    abdul rahim wrote:

    > organs have a distinctive flavor that i cherish, muscle meats bore me.
    >
    > the odor of urine is not so pronounced as to arouse alarm, the way some of you have written. but
    > there is a definite reek of it on your fingers after handling the white, fatty part.

    Still need to find a better source of kidneys. We have never had that problem after handling any
    part of the kidney.

    > i'll stop cutting out the dark red parts, if you guys don't. it was incredibly hard work and
    > reduced the yield of kidney to about 30%.

    LOL! Not surprised.