how much peanut butter is too much?!

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by refinnej, Aug 29, 2005.

1. refinnej

refinnej New Member

my name is jennifer. Im currently trying to lose 8lbs, so that i can reach my ideal weight. i work out four times a week, anywhere from 30-45 mins, cardio. I eat fruits, vegetables and meat. (kinda like the Atkins thing). I eat lots of peanut butter. No bread. Just peanut butter with peanuts, sometimes, and it tastes soooooo goooood! But im wondering if i will gain weight instead of losing it. I dont know if peanut butter adds lots of fat to the body and im working out just to replace it with peanut butter! Please help! :confused:

Tags:

2. mtnbiker371

mtnbiker371 New Member

That depends. PB is high in fat...but also high in protein. Some PB is VERY high in sugar. I only eat Smuckers Natural PB. It is just mashed up peanuts - no added oils or sugar. Its consistency is a but gooey, but it does thicken in the fridge. (yummy)

3. adamallstar

adamallstar New Member

Like mentioned above...

I'd just be careful about what kind of PB you eat. Some kinds are much healthier than others. Also, have you ever tried almond butter? That is some good stuff.

As far as consuming a large amount of PB.. I'm not sure about how much you should intake, Just keep a balanced diet.. if you don't loose any weight while eating PB, try to cut back on some of it.

4. UNF_Chaz

UNF_Chaz New Member

+2 on the smuckers natural pb, the only pb i eat w/o any hydrogenated oil... if ur doing an intense work out then i suggest eating some carbs to give u some energy and energy to burn.

as for how much is too much, i have no idea. i would imagine half a jar would be excessive, but thats just me... lol

5. refinnej

refinnej New Member

thanx! that sounds good but i guess i need to find out about the carbs in smuckers natural pb. mashed peanuts always sounds good to me! :)

6. refinnej

refinnej New Member

Almond butter sounds good but i think it has more carbs than regular pb, no? jowever, thanx for the idea!:)

7. mtnbiker371

mtnbiker371 New Member

ok..here is the nutritional info for Smuckers Natural Chunky PB:
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 2 Tbsp. (32 g)
    Calories 210
    Calories from Fat 150
    Amount/Serving%DV *Total Fat 16g
    Saturated Fat 2.5g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    Sodium 120mg
    Total Carbohydrate 6g
    Dietary Fiber 2g
    Sugars 1g
    Protein 8g
    Vitamin A
    Vitamin C
    Calcium
    Iron
    25 %
    12 %
    0 %
    5 %
    2 %
    9 %

0 %
    0 %
    0 %
    2 %

8. refinnej

refinnej New Member

half a jar is excessive, but its hard to measure when you love pb! i eat carbs but like the fruits and vegs that have them, they are like the complex ones. smuckers may be higher in carbs than the reg pb. im not sure. thanx for the advice:)

9. refinnej

refinnej New Member

wow! thats better than wut i was thinking. the carbs are lower and the fat too. not by much but everything counts! thanx a lot!:D

10. Stecman

Stecman New Member

Are you having this after your workout? If so thats not good. All that fat will slow any nutrients that your sending to your body - carbs, protein. etc...

If you want to lose weight, I would cut your fat intake down to 20-30%... Among other things... That means no more than a tablespoon or two of that stuff a day. Sorry.

Oh, and atkins is for people who can't and/or won't exercise. Pick another diet that suits you better. You'll lose so much muscle doing it this way.

Remember - who cares if you lost weight - we wanna know how much fat you lose. If you lose those eight pounds and two of those are muscle, thats 100 less calories you can eat to maintain your bodyfat!

That's future PB enjoyment down the drain!

11. LottomagicZ4941

LottomagicZ4941 New Member

Any peanut butter will make me huril if I'm not in the mood for it.

Getting at tad ill just thinking of it.

12. EoinC

EoinC New Member

Since we're firing up an online cooking show, here's a personal favourite:

Take 2 slabs of bread.
    Spread the first one ultra thick in chunky natural peanut butter. Don't be a sick bugger and put butter or margarine on it - what were you thinking?). Wipe the knife off on the inside face (it's so important that the shapes match inversely) of the 2nd piece of bread.
    Grab a mega dollop of Marmite (or Vegemite) and stir it into the peanut butter until it becomes a baby-kack brownish mess.
    Next apply a generous helping of wasabi and some chilli sauce (not too much chilli as consistency is the key to this gastronomic experience and we don't want it to get too soggy).
    Smash a couple of garlic cloves and either add them as is, or lightly fry until golden brown.
    Mix the whole lot up, working it until distibuted everywhere, but stop short of it becoming a homologated paste.Whack the second slab of bread on top and begin the adventure.
    True connoisseurs always eat their way around the crust of a sandwich (biting right to left), so that the real taste explosion is left until last. It's a good idea to have a decent swig of beer before storming the Bastille at the end. These flavours mix so well, it's making me hungry just thinking about it. Try it - you'll like it. I got the peanut butter / Marmite mix going one time when I was out sailing and basically ran out of any other food. The salty Marmite / Vegemite overcomes the sweetness of the peanuts in a way that is difficult to believe. Those people who eat that peanut butter and jelly crap are sick buggers - have they no sense of decency?

13. LottomagicZ4941

Regarding Vegemite I now have the Men at Work song in my head.

When I do eat peanut butter it is with honey and vitamine suppies.

A pop is also required.

14. LindaNo1

LindaNo1 New Member

Oh, don't mention PNB to me. I am in the process of losing a few pounds before my beach holiday in October and have struck it off the menu until I get down to 8st 3. (3 pounds to go ... ) If I start off on that stuff again, I'm lost. I am addicted to it.

Whatever happened to Creamy Crunch PNB? We had it on sale here for a few months and then it disappeared off the shelves. I am heart-broken ... aaaggghh. Anyone on it US get it? Please import it for me .... I will forever be in your debt! :D Not that I am desperate or anything ...

15. EoinC

EoinC New Member

Yep, it's the beer that you eat.
    I'm very sorry to hear that. Bees and peanuts don't fit together. Beer and peanuts do - hence the ideal combination of Vegemite / Marmite and peanut butter.
    You what???

16. LottomagicZ4941

hum beer does go with peanuts.

but the thought of with a peanut butter sandwich icks me out.

I'm totally addicted to soda pop. Gave it up for a few years but then upon one sore throat

I do have a morbid prayer that I sometimes say when I drink pop.

Dear Lord forgive me for drinking this acid unto my throat and phosporous unto my body.

I do take some calcium and magnesum suppies to midigate the damage.

17. refinnej

refinnej New Member

thats true. loss of body fat is more noticeable than loss of weight! decreasing the fat intake is good but i dunno how because on the atkins thing, meats and no carbs are wuts going down. however, the meats are fatenning. not to mention the pb! if i eat less meat and pb, then wut will i eat?! so if i get off the atkins thing, then i need to induce some kind of carbs but then that will lead to weight gain anyway, since i havent eaten carbs in a lon, long, long time! pb has carbs, but thats the only carbs i've been eatin. i dunno this is madness. im 110-112lbs now, but i've been like that for a long time. no matter how much i work out or eat no carbs, so i think it is fat intake related. so if i leave the atkins thing, how can i induce carbs and not gain?!:confused:

18. Stecman

Stecman New Member

You won't gain. Don't worry. Carbs aren't evil. ;)

You body will love you. You will be amazed at how much extra energy you have during your workouts and you will be able to actually improve.

Some good sources of carbs to start with:
    Skim Milk and Grape Nuts/golean cereal
    Whole wheat bread
    Sweet potato / yams
    popcorn (no or very little butter)
    LowFat Yogurt
    Oatmeal

An account with fitday.com may help you organize exactly how much you need to eat and what. And I can help you with anything you need if you'd like.

19. refinnej

refinnej New Member

i'd like all the help i can get! r u kiddin! thanx a lot! mmmmm popcorn sounds delicious. im not a fan of butter so just popcorn 'll do. skim milk is good because i love milk but it has those carbs! maybe i need to eat those good carbs and induce them slowly so that i wont become a blowfish overnight:) i also read about like the complex carbs vs the simple carbs. they say the complex ones are better, like the fruits n'stuff. not the pasta and bread because they are simple carbs? i dunno. its all madness. thanx for the help. i need a plan!:D

20. refinnej

refinnej New Member

that sandwich sounds like a true mess! it may taste good though i've never tried it. um,:) where did you get the recipe from?