How much room for bargaining?

Derek

Guest
Hi all,

My first foray into the world of aus.bicycles as a poster.

I'm just getting started into MTB, doing a few single track rides around
Lysterfield in suburban melbourne. I've got hunger for more and my steel
frame 6 year old mongoose doesnt feel too happy going down the tracks, and
its a ***** to climb with (even though its the fitness, i'll blame the
bike).

Getting to the point, I like the look of the GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc and it
is in my price range, just! Leaves no room for stuff like a hydrapack or
new forks. (The forks that come with it seem quite cheap and nasty).

How much room do i generally have for bargaining the dealer down? or
perhaps trying to get some good forks for absolutely dirt cheap, i'd also
be looking at getting some pedals and clip in shoes to suit.

Furthermore, can anyone recommend me a shop where i'm most likely to get
the deal i'm after?

Cheers,
Derek

its not what you know its who you know.

"Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> My first foray into the world of aus.bicycles as a poster.
>
> I'm just getting started into MTB, doing a few single track rides around
> Lysterfield in suburban melbourne. I've got hunger for more and my steel
> frame 6 year old mongoose doesnt feel too happy going down the tracks, and
> its a ***** to climb with (even though its the fitness, i'll blame the
> bike).
>
> Getting to the point, I like the look of the GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc and it
> is in my price range, just! Leaves no room for stuff like a hydrapack or
> new forks. (The forks that come with it seem quite cheap and nasty).
>
> How much room do i generally have for bargaining the dealer down? or
> perhaps trying to get some good forks for absolutely dirt cheap, i'd also
> be looking at getting some pedals and clip in shoes to suit.
>
> Furthermore, can anyone recommend me a shop where i'm most likely to get
> the deal i'm after?
>
> Cheers,
> Derek

"Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> Getting to the point, I like the look of the GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc and

it
> is in my price range, just! Leaves no room for stuff like a hydrapack

or
> new forks. (The forks that come with it seem quite cheap and nasty).
>
> How much room do i generally have for bargaining the dealer down? or
> perhaps trying to get some good forks for absolutely dirt cheap, i'd

also
> be looking at getting some pedals and clip in shoes to suit.

Just ask what's the best they can do. You will typically get
"we can't lower the price but we can throw in x, y, z".
If you are buying other stuff with the bike, they should
lower the overall price for you.

hippy

"Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> My first foray into the world of aus.bicycles as a poster.
>
> I'm just getting started into MTB, doing a few single track rides around
> Lysterfield in suburban melbourne. I've got hunger for more and my steel
> frame 6 year old mongoose doesnt feel too happy going down the tracks, and
> its a ***** to climb with (even though its the fitness, i'll blame the
> bike).
>
> Getting to the point, I like the look of the GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc and it
> is in my price range, just! Leaves no room for stuff like a hydrapack or
> new forks. (The forks that come with it seem quite cheap and nasty).
>
> How much room do i generally have for bargaining the dealer down? or
> perhaps trying to get some good forks for absolutely dirt cheap, i'd also
> be looking at getting some pedals and clip in shoes to suit.

Well, start bargaining - be prepared to buy then and there if you can reach
an agreement. Also, be prepared to walk out if they do not reachHow much is
the bike worth?

I would start at a rough combined price of 10% off the bike price and 15%
off the accessories that you want.

> Furthermore, can anyone recommend me a shop where i'm most likely to get
> the deal i'm after?
>
> Cheers,
> Derek

HTH