How much room for bargaining?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Derek, Nov 25, 2003.

  1. Derek

    Derek Guest

    Hi all,

    My first foray into the world of aus.bicycles as a poster.

    I'm just getting started into MTB, doing a few single track rides around
    Lysterfield in suburban melbourne. I've got hunger for more and my steel
    frame 6 year old mongoose doesnt feel too happy going down the tracks, and
    its a bitch to climb with (even though its the fitness, i'll blame the
    bike).

    Getting to the point, I like the look of the GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc and it
    is in my price range, just! Leaves no room for stuff like a hydrapack or
    new forks. (The forks that come with it seem quite cheap and nasty).

    How much room do i generally have for bargaining the dealer down? or
    perhaps trying to get some good forks for absolutely dirt cheap, i'd also
    be looking at getting some pedals and clip in shoes to suit.

    Furthermore, can anyone recommend me a shop where i'm most likely to get
    the deal i'm after?

    Cheers,
    Derek

    Tags:

  2. its not what you know its who you know.

    "Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > Hi all,
    >
    > My first foray into the world of aus.bicycles as a poster.
    >
    > I'm just getting started into MTB, doing a few single track rides around
    > Lysterfield in suburban melbourne. I've got hunger for more and my steel
    > frame 6 year old mongoose doesnt feel too happy going down the tracks, and
    > its a bitch to climb with (even though its the fitness, i'll blame the
    > bike).
    >
    > Getting to the point, I like the look of the GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc and it
    > is in my price range, just! Leaves no room for stuff like a hydrapack or
    > new forks. (The forks that come with it seem quite cheap and nasty).
    >
    > How much room do i generally have for bargaining the dealer down? or
    > perhaps trying to get some good forks for absolutely dirt cheap, i'd also
    > be looking at getting some pedals and clip in shoes to suit.
    >
    > Furthermore, can anyone recommend me a shop where i'm most likely to get
    > the deal i'm after?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Derek

  3. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > Getting to the point, I like the look of the GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc and

    it
    > is in my price range, just! Leaves no room for stuff like a hydrapack

    or
    > new forks. (The forks that come with it seem quite cheap and nasty).
    >
    > How much room do i generally have for bargaining the dealer down? or
    > perhaps trying to get some good forks for absolutely dirt cheap, i'd

    also
    > be looking at getting some pedals and clip in shoes to suit.

    Just ask what's the best they can do. You will typically get
    "we can't lower the price but we can throw in x, y, z".
    If you are buying other stuff with the bike, they should
    lower the overall price for you.

    hippy

  4. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    "Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > Hi all,
    >
    > My first foray into the world of aus.bicycles as a poster.
    >
    > I'm just getting started into MTB, doing a few single track rides around
    > Lysterfield in suburban melbourne. I've got hunger for more and my steel
    > frame 6 year old mongoose doesnt feel too happy going down the tracks, and
    > its a bitch to climb with (even though its the fitness, i'll blame the
    > bike).
    >
    > Getting to the point, I like the look of the GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc and it
    > is in my price range, just! Leaves no room for stuff like a hydrapack or
    > new forks. (The forks that come with it seem quite cheap and nasty).
    >
    > How much room do i generally have for bargaining the dealer down? or
    > perhaps trying to get some good forks for absolutely dirt cheap, i'd also
    > be looking at getting some pedals and clip in shoes to suit.

    Well, start bargaining - be prepared to buy then and there if you can reach
    an agreement. Also, be prepared to walk out if they do not reachHow much is
    the bike worth?

    I would start at a rough combined price of 10% off the bike price and 15%
    off the accessories that you want.

    > Furthermore, can anyone recommend me a shop where i'm most likely to get
    > the deal i'm after?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Derek

    HTH