How much should I offer?

natedanger

Feb 29, 2004
I am a disabled vet looking for a recumbent for exercise. I am 6' 4" so I need a big one. I recently found a local shop with a BikeE AT XL that the salesperson said the owner was very motivated to sell. I imagine he is motivated being that he has had it for 2 years. It is not even on the floor. It is hung from a rafter in the back corner of the workshop away from customers. What should I offer for this bike? I realize that I will not get a warranty on the frame and that fact alone should knock down the price. Any advice is appreciated.

Dale

Originally posted by natedanger
I am a disabled vet looking for a recumbent for exercise. I am 6' 4" so I need a big one. I recently found a local shop with a BikeE AT XL that the salesperson said the owner was very motivated to sell. I imagine he is motivated being that he has had it for 2 years. It is not even on the floor. It is hung from a rafter in the back corner of the workshop away from customers. What should I offer for this bike? I realize that I will not get a warranty on the frame and that fact alone should knock down the price. Any advice is appreciated.

Dale

I should add that the sticker on the bike is $1280.

Originally posted by natedanger

Dale

I saw a '98 AT recently advertised at $400 and 2000 AT advertised for $600.

A couple of days ago I was surprised to see a new in the box 2002 AT on ebay fail to meet reserve in the $900 range.

You'd save shipping and do see it first hand though, and it sounds like your size.

Not knowing how old or what condition or age it is, it sounds like the $400 to 600 range seems a reasonable offer-adjusting depending on age and condition, $300 if you're bargain shopping or it's not in great condition.

While I agree with the post of offering $600 or so, you might want to consider other types of recumbents as well. I am also a disabled vet and ride a recumbent trike. I don't need the trike because of disability, I ride it because it's so darn fun!! :D Strongly suggest you look at bentrideronline.com for more info.

woodturner529 said:
While I agree with the post of offering $600 or so, you might want to consider other types of recumbents as well. I am also a disabled vet and ride a recumbent trike. I don't need the trike because of disability, I ride it because it's so darn fun!! :D Strongly suggest you look at bentrideronline.com for more info.

Dale,

I have a brand new Bacchetta Strada I'm looking to sell. It is a large frame and will fit you (I am 6'4'' myself). I bought it a week ago and just found that recumbents aren't for me. So, I need to find a new home for it. It has less that 15 miles on it. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested. It is also on ebay @ http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3692090637 . I am willing to negotiate the price. Thanks and good luck!!

-Sean