How much should I offer?

natedanger

New Member
Feb 29, 2004
I am a disabled vet looking for a recumbent for exercise. I am 6' 4" so I need a big one. I recently found a local shop with a new BikeE AT XL that the salesperson said the owner was very motivated to sell. I imagine he is motivated being that he has had it for 2 years. It is not even on the floor. It is hung from a rafter in the back corner of the workshop away from customers. The sticker is $1280. What should I offer for this bike? I realize that I will not get a warranty on the frame and that fact alone should knock down the price. Any advice is appreciated.

Nate, I think they have been going for the 650-750 region NIB. I'd start at the low point and
bargain up. If you are very heavy the AT may not work for you. I think the wieght limit on the shock
is 275. You do need the XL size though. Also it's a good Idea to make sure the shock retains air
more than 24 hours. They are repairable, but they sometimes get leaky seals. You will also need a
high pressure (~275 pound) pump for normal shock air use. Be sure to include that unless you have
some means of pumping up the shock. Some have had to pump up the shock often, some have not, but it
will have to happen sooner or later. The BikeE's are a fun bike, not fast, but fun and easy to ride.
A good entry into recumbents,and definitly good exercise" Denny in Sayre, Pa "Bent but not Broken"

natedanger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am a disabled vet looking for a recumbent for exercise. I am 6' 4" so I need a big one. I
> recently found a local shop with a new BikeE AT XL that the salesperson said the owner was very
> motivated to sell. I imagine he is motivated being that he has had it for 2 years. It is not even
> on the floor. It is hung from a rafter in the back corner of the workshop away from customers. The
> sticker is $1280. What should I offer for this bike? I realize that I will not get a warranty on
> the frame and that fact alone should knock down the price. Any advice is appreciated.
>

> --

Also keep in mind that Bike E is out of business. Not a huge problem if the bike shop you are buying
it from will stand behind the bike

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:10:46 GMT, natedanger <[email protected]> wrote:

>I am a disabled vet looking for a recumbent for exercise. I am 6' 4" so I need a big one. I
>recently found a local shop with a new BikeE AT XL that the salesperson said the owner was very
>motivated to sell. I imagine he is motivated being that he has had it for 2 years. It is not even
>on the floor. It is hung from a rafter in the back corner of the workshop away from customers. The
>sticker is $1280. What should I offer for this bike? I realize that I will not get a warranty on
>the frame and that fact alone should knock down the price. Any advice is appreciated.

Nate,

I have a Rans V-rex XL that I plan to sell soon. If you happen to be in northern Minnesota, you can
try it out. I'm also 6'4" tall, so it should be a good fit for you. It is charcoal gray metallic and
only has about a thousand miles on it.

Other forum and usenet participants would probably be willing to offer their opinions on the V-rex
if that would help.

- Jon

"natedanger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am a disabled vet looking for a recumbent for exercise. I am 6' 4" so I need a big one. I
> recently found a local shop with a new BikeE AT XL that the salesperson said the owner was very
> motivated to sell. I imagine he is motivated being that he has had it for 2 years. It is not even
> on the floor. It is hung from a rafter in the back corner of the workshop away from customers. The
> sticker is $1280. What should I offer for this bike? I realize that I will not get a warranty on
> the frame and that fact alone should knock down the price. Any advice is appreciated.
>

> --

> Other forum and usenet participants would probably be willing to offer their opinions on the V-rex
> if that would help.
>
> - Jon

I just picked up my second V-Rex over the weekend. I owned a 2000 and sold it in what was the
stupidest recumbent move I have made. It is one of the best all purpose bikes I have found. Not the
fastest, not the best climber, not the most manuverable, not able to take the heaviest load, but
good enough in all of those departments so that when the total score is added up it is way up near
the top. And, it comes from an ongoing active recumbent company. The BikeE was a nice bike to learn
on and it is probably a little easier to handle initially than the V-Rex. But once you are over that
two week learning curve the Rex is a much better bike. My opinion only. YMMV.

Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.

Now you need to retry a speedmachine with the aero bars, the rock steady
even harv who can't walk and chew gum can plow a straight farrow with aero
bars. If you can ride a 'REX, you can ride a SM, and it has suspension. Ahhh
like riding on butter, Mike. Too bad you didn't like your first try. I kept
my "REX though. Nyah, nyah.
news:[email protected]...

mike s wrote:

> ... I just picked up my second V-Rex over the weekend. I owned a 2000 and sold it in what was the
> stupidest recumbent move I have made. It is one of the best all purpose bikes I have found. Not
> the fastest, not the best climber, not the most manuverable, not able to take the heaviest load,
> but good enough in all of those departments so that when the total score is added up it is way up
> near the top. And, it comes from an ongoing active recumbent company. The BikeE was a nice bike to
> learn on and it is probably a little easier to handle initially than the V-Rex. But once you are
> over that two week learning curve the Rex is a much better bike. My opinion only. YMMV.

I would choose the V-Rex over the BikeE AT unless I was riding short distances in an urban
environment on rough pavement or riding extensively on unpaved surfaces. The BikeE's are the only
single-track recumbents I have found that handle loose gravel well (the worst on gravel was the dual
ISO 406-mm wheel Wishbone RT I used to own).

I went to a dealer once intent on buying a V-Rex, but after several back and forth test rides, I
ended up getting a Rocket instead. The handling of the Rocket just felt better (and it had a
decisive advantage in rear brake effectiveness due to a more rearward weight distribution). However,
for someone who places a lot of value on a more compliant ride and prefers less responsive handling,
the V-Rex would be a better choice than the Rocket.

Tom, good to see you back, but I think there's something wrong with your
keyboard. The uppercase E and X seems to be malfunctioning. :eek:)
"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> mike s wrote:
>
> > ... I just picked up my second V-Rex over the weekend. I owned a 2000 and sold it in what was
> > the stupidest recumbent move I have made. It is one of the best all purpose bikes I have found.
> > Not the fastest, not the best climber, not the most manuverable, not able to take the heaviest
> > load, but good enough in all of those departments so that when the total score is added up it
> > is way up near the top. And, it comes from an ongoing active recumbent company. The BikeE was a
> > nice bike to learn on and it is probably a little easier to handle initially than the V-Rex.
> > But once you are over that two week learning curve the Rex is a much better bike. My opinion
> > only. YMMV.
>
> I would choose the V-Rex over the BikeE AT unless I was riding short distances in an urban
> environment on rough pavement or riding extensively on unpaved surfaces. The BikeE's are the only
> single-track recumbents I have found that handle loose gravel well (the worst on gravel was the
> dual ISO 406-mm wheel Wishbone RT I used to own).
>
> I went to a dealer once intent on buying a V-Rex, but after several back and forth test rides, I
> ended up getting a Rocket instead. The handling of the Rocket just felt better (and it had a
> decisive advantage in rear brake effectiveness due to a more rearward weight distribution).
> However, for someone who places a lot of value on a more compliant ride and prefers less
> responsive handling, the V-Rex would be a better choice than the Rocket.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

Thank you to all for the good info. I went back to the shop and rode the BikeE. It wasn't all that comfotable to me. I then noticed another bent that I hadn't noticed on my first visit. It was a Sun EZ Sport. The retro styling was cool and I took it for a spin. It was much more comfortable to me. The seat was especially nice, which is good because of my back injury. I ended up bringing it home for $900. Went on a three mile ride when I got home and afterward got off the bike with no more pain than I usually have in my back. Success!!!

Thanks Again.

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 16:10:40 GMT, natedanger
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Thank you to all for the good info. I went back to the shop and rode the BikeE. It wasn't all that
>comfotable to me. I then noticed another bent that I hadn't noticed on my first visit. It was a Sun
>EZ Sport. The retro styling was cool and I took it for a spin. It was much more comfortable to me.
>The seat was especially nice, which is good because of my back injury. I ended up bringing it home
>for $900. Went on a three mile ride when I got home and afterward got off the bike with no more
>pain than I usually have in my back. Success!!!

It was a Sun EZ Sport (on auction at Ebay) that caught my eye & made me thnk I might be able to
afford a recumbent after all. When I went out & did my test rides I found the EZ Sport very
comfortable, but felt that it didn't seem much more efficient than the 30 year old Schwinn Varsity I
was riding at the time. After trying out several styles I wound up buying a Tour Easy, which has
somewhat similar geometry as the EZ Sport, but costs twice as much or more, and is well worth it.

Mike Rice

I am going to use the EZ Sport for exercise and short riding. I went about five miles today and that is about the limit of what my back can do. I was definately not shopping for a performance bent. And I must admit that I am the type that looks at the paint job on a car and not what's under the hood. The EX Sport has a great retro look and that probably swayed me a bit. But I simply love the way this bike feels and rides. The learning curve was a straight line as I took to it right away.