How much should i pay for the 1993 Cannondale R500

wil9413

Oct 27, 2006
wil9413 said:
I saw a 1993 Cannondale R500 Road Bike . light blue, only 21lbs.

the seller is asking for $200 and he says its in excellent condition.
How much do u think i should pay for it? Lets say its in between good-excellent condition. It looks like this : http://cgi.ebay.com/1993-Cannondale-R500-Road-Bike-3-0-Series-48cm-EC_W0QQitemZ270045076104QQihZ017QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It might be my first road bike.

can anyone give me some suggestion?

thx

Looks like a good starter bike. Considerations are: It is a 48 cm bike,I believe,since it also reads 38 cm in the description but lets assume 48.
If so I hope you are fairly short like 5'5" or under.
It also has outdated components which are ok if you don't need the latest and the greatest.
The Cad 5 frame should prove to be a comfortable and dependable frame overall.
As a stated a good starter bike if it fits you. If you are 6 feet tall,forget it as it is way too small.

u are right.
those size charts also suggest a 5'8" rider (me) uses a 55cm frame, so the bike frame seems a little too small for me (7cm short ).

Can i solve this problem by just adjusting the seat? or it still wont work coz my legs would be too long for the frame?

I hope the seller (not the one on ebay) will contact me today and tell me about the frame size, and i hope it will be larger than a 48cm frame coz this bike as a starter bike just looks tempting to me.

the seller is asking for $200. How much do u think i should offer?

jhuskey said:
Looks like a good starter bike. Considerations are: It is a 48 cm bike,I believe,since it also reads 38 cm in the description but lets assume 48.
If so I hope you are fairly short like 5'5" or under.
It also has outdated components which are ok if you don't need the latest and the greatest.
The Cad 5 frame should prove to be a comfortable and dependable frame overall.
As a stated a good starter bike if it fits you. If you are 6 feet tall,forget it as it is way too small.

wil9413 said:
u are right.
those size charts also suggest a 5'8" rider (me) uses a 55cm frame, so the bike frame seems a little too small for me (7cm short ).

Can i solve this problem by just adjusting the seat? or it still wont work coz my legs would be too long for the frame?

I hope the seller (not the one on ebay) will contact me today and tell me about the frame size, and i hope it will be larger than a 48cm frame coz this bike as a starter bike just looks tempting to me.

the seller is asking for $200. How much do u think i should offer?

The frame is still short for you. The top tube is too short and the seat tube. This will throw off your position on the bike.

Let me add that I would think you would need a frame with a 54 top tube but this is still a guess.
Go to a bike shop and get sized,then you can shop for a suitable fit. A bad fit will be uncomfortable.