How much should I pay?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by EdBagleyJr, Aug 16, 2011.

1. EdBagleyJr

EdBagleyJr New Member

I'm thinking of getting this road bike. My friend has used it for a few years. It's not in excellent condition, but rides really well. What would be a fair price? It's a Novara Randonee, I'm not sure what year it is.

[​IMG]

TIA for the help guys!

Tags:

2. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

I really cannot help you with the price, but you should really see if it is the right size for you. The fit of a bike is the most important aspect of the bike. A bike that is not the right sze is uncomfortable to ride. A bike that does not fit correctly is the main cause of people who buy a new bike but don't ride it, it is just too uncomfortable. Here is a link to an online fit calculator http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO . There are other online fit calculators but they all work about the same. Once you have deteremined your fit, see if the bike is the right size for you.

3. EdBagleyJr

EdBagleyJr New Member

I rode the bike, and I found it very comfortable to ride. I know they were originally around 1000$. It's at least a few years old, but I want to pay a fair price. Thanks

4. Scotty_Dog

Scotty_Dog New Member

What:
    year?
    components?
    mileage?
    condition?

5. EdBagleyJr

EdBagleyJr New Member

Ach! Why is there a "clear' button!? I just accidentally cleared my whole post. Oh well, here it is, but shorter.

It's in fair/Ok condition. Everything is functional but a bit chipped or worn. The tires have some tread left, but not a lot. The components are mostly shimano. The grips are very worn. It has about 1,000 miles. I am not sure what year it is, I'm completely new to this, so I was hoping someone could figure it out from the photo. If other photos would be helpful I could get them.

6. EdBagleyJr

EdBagleyJr New Member

7. vspa

vspa Active Member

not more than 500 US,
    i don't see anything spectacular but if you are hook on it then go ahead,

8. Scotty_Dog

Scotty_Dog New Member

From the small amount of detailed information you have given us, I'd say $100 max.

9. really confused

really confused New Member

What your willing to pay is up to you, considering for the amount your paying you can get a new entry level bike. Ask if the have encountex any issues & take it for a ride yourself before making a decision

10. Conniebiker

Conniebiker New Member

If it fits and rides as it should, I would think it to be worth a couple hundred. It didn't look too bad in the pick at least. If anything is worn to the point of needing soon replacement, factor them into a total and see if the asking price plus the parts is still in budget.