How Much Should I Sell For?

tedstigers

Aug 18, 2010
Is there a blue book or something similar for used bikes? I'm wondering what to ask if I sell my Allez? It's an '06 Triple, I paid $750 new and have added clip-in pedals and speedometer.

tedstigers said:
Is there a blue book or something similar for used bikes? I'm wondering what to ask if I sell my Allez? It's an '06 Triple, I paid $750 new and have added clip-in pedals and speedometer.
Depreciation on bicycles is as severe as for automobiles ...

FWIW. A 'new' bike from a bike shop which is 3 years old (that would be a 2008 at the moment in time because 2011 is effectively the "current" model year as of July 1st) should/may only cost the prospective buyer about 60% of the MSRP.

I would knock an 5% off for each additional year ...

So, if there were a Blue Book, it would probably indicate a value of about 50% of the MSRP +/- based on condition & accessories for a 2006 bike -- that may be too pessimistic OR too optimistic ... the local "market" (and, timing) dictates what you can sell a used (or, new) bike for.

Of course, some bikes hold their value better than others ... some appreciate AFTER 40+ years (well, perhaps not after account for inflation) ...
A 30 year old Colnago frame might seem to have held a great deal of its value because it may sell for over $600+, but in truth it has depreciated by 65% (or, more) after adjusting for inflation.