How much slower is an MTB with slicks on the road?

Gingerbread Man

Jul 30, 2007
Hi,

I just started commuting to work again today after a long time. (15 miles each way along English country lanes) on a late 90s Specialized Hard Rock.

There is no way I can afford to go out and buy a road bike but I am just wondering how much extra time and effort it is costing me to commute on an MTB instead of a road bike.

I have put slicks on it (which I rescued from a guy at the dump) - though it still has wide handlebars. there is no suspension. I am guessing that it cant be much heavier than a road frame. So is really that bad a solution?

I am a beginner - I managed an embarrassing 12mph average today - though I can get it up to 16mph.

Any advice for a beginner?

Cheers,

Joe

Gingerbread Man said:
How much slower is an MTB with slicks on the road?
Factor in weight, riding position, gearing, and I'd say 3-5 MPH average.

Gingerbread Man said:
Any advice for a beginner?
Keep riding. As a beginner, actual time in the saddle is your best training aid.

My experience, 3 mph but why worry? It is energy expended that matters unless you are in a race.

Scotty_Dog said:
Factor in weight, riding position, gearing, and I'd say 3-5 MPH average.

Keep riding. As a beginner, actual time in the saddle is your best training aid.
I have a 15 mile fairly hilly loop I do and the best time i've done on my mountain bike with slicks (1.25 front and 1.50 rear; I'd like to reverse that but can't be bothered) is 49 minutes with aero bars--yes I fit aerobars on the bike, but because the handlebars are still so high, I'm not terribly aero anyway. When I did the same loop on a road bike with aero bars (its handlebars were still high, so I wasn't more aero than before) I managed 45 minutes--and sprint tris say I'm quite fast at this distance, so in my experience the mountain bike was only about 10% longer in time. That was pumped to 60 psi on the mountain bike, btw. It's a fairly low end bike with front suspension (but I put it on max stiffness).

Slicks, as you know, make a huge difference. I presume my time on the mountain bike with knobbies would be closer to an hour...certainly 55 minutes, anyway.

In my experience, the roadie is worth an extra 2-3 MPH on the flats (commuting speeds); but I can go a lot faster if I put some effort into it (I can go about 8 MPH faster at the top end).

Going up a certain local hill my time on the road bike was about 18 minutes faster over the 7 miles of climbing (59 vs. 41 minutes). But for really steep climbs you may be faster on the mountain bike due to the lower gear ratios).

im averaging probably 2mph faster, but im going on much longer rides before tiring on the road bike than i ever could on the slicked up mtb. on the same route, i can probably average 4-5mph faster on the road bike...The hills kill me...for now :D