how much spacers for carbon steerers

bja

Nov 24, 2006
Hi! I just bought a giant carbon fork with carbon steerer. I was told that I can only use a maximum of 30mm spacers between the headset and stem. Is this true? Hope someone can shed some light. Thanks!

Not sure of the exact number, but the prevailing theory is you don't want a super long steerer. The other thing I have heard is you will want at least one spacer on top of the stem to avoid any possible crushing of the top of the steerer tube.

bja said:
Hi! I just bought a giant carbon fork with carbon steerer. I was told that I can only use a maximum of 30mm spacers between the headset and stem. Is this true? Hope someone can shed some light. Thanks!
30mm sounds about right for 1&1/8" steer tube, but you really ought to check the specs. Hopefully you got the manufacturer's installation instructions with the new fork which states the maximum allowable shim stack and the other critical details about installation such as tightening sequence, torques, compatible stems and plugs/caps. On forks, stems and handlebars, following the instructions and warnings is the way to go.

bja said:
The general rule is about 25mm for a 1" steerer and 30mm for a 1 1/8", below the stem. If that doesn't get you high enough, flip the stem, or chose one with more rise in the traditional position. I try to use as few as possible, but my headset has 10mm of stack height above the top of the frame to begin with.

I think if the 30mm isnt high enuf you might get away with a conical spacer, better yet get a headset with a conical top. The conical design spreads stress better in this area and adds support.