how much weight loss per ride is okay?

lpennock

May 27, 2004
Today I was doing my normal ride (to the end of belle meade blvd for anyone who lives in nashville) when I kind of got a wild hair (perhaps inspired by lance's win today) and took off across town (to shelby bottoms park, again for anyone familiar with nashville). I ended up riding almost 40 miles in about 2.5 hours. Because this was on a whim I only had one water bottle with me, but I was able to refill a few times along the way. Just to check, and in part because it's almost 90 outside right now and I am still getting used to not wearing a camel back, I weighed myself when I got home. I was down to 139.5 and I was at my normal weight of about 144 this morning when I woke up (I'm a little over 5'10").

So, my question is, at what point should I be worried about loosing too much water weight on a ride? I did have to urinate when I got back, so that's a good sign, but I still lost what to me seems like an alarming amount of weight. Two of my refills were mixed about 1/3 with gatorade (it helps to have friends scattered around nashville) and two were just plain water, for whatever that is worth.

Thanks!

-Lewis

I did a similar ride the other day and have no idea how much weight I lost. However, I always ride with a rucksack as well as a water-bottle. In the rucksack I place stuff such as a pump, a spare tube, one or two basic tools and lots of energy bars and glucose drinks. I think this would basically solve your problem, unless you opt for duel bottles on your bike.
Yes, I think it's mostly water you tend to lose while riding and this is only temporary weight-loss. Why worry about this water loss, though? I think if you buy a small rucksack you won't have to do without energy drinks again. Myself I used to drink lucozade but changed to pure fruit juice as a healthier option.
Actually I've never really suffered bonk during a ride - only general exhaustion when I wasn't quite fit enough for longer distances.
Even experienced riders such as Lance Armstrong have ignored feeding preparation during long rides and then paid the price through energy drop.
My advice: Take plenty of energy bars and drinks with you and you'll be fine in future.

lpennock said:
Today I was doing my normal ride (to the end of belle meade blvd for anyone who lives in nashville) when I kind of got a wild hair (perhaps inspired by lance's win today) and took off across town (to shelby bottoms park, again for anyone familiar with nashville). I ended up riding almost 40 miles in about 2.5 hours. Because this was on a whim I only had one water bottle with me, but I was able to refill a few times along the way. Just to check, and in part because it's almost 90 outside right now and I am still getting used to not wearing a camel back, I weighed myself when I got home. I was down to 139.5 and I was at my normal weight of about 144 this morning when I woke up (I'm a little over 5'10").

So, my question is, at what point should I be worried about loosing too much water weight on a ride? I did have to urinate when I got back, so that's a good sign, but I still lost what to me seems like an alarming amount of weight. Two of my refills were mixed about 1/3 with gatorade (it helps to have friends scattered around nashville) and two were just plain water, for whatever that is worth.

Thanks!

-Lewis

lpennock said:

Thanks!

-Lewis

I've heard that fluid loss of more than 2% of bodyweight causes an elevated HR, something you certainly don't need in the heat. If you figure your deficit at the end of the ride was 4.5 lbs, that's about two liters of water that you lost and didn't make up while riding.

Suggest you just stop and buy cold water and Gatorade at the gas station convenience stores. Get enough so you can drink plenty and then top off the bottles (I like to carry one water, one Gatorade).

Cris Carmichal (sp?) during an OLN interview said that you need to replace 150% of the liquid you lost during your ride. the reason for the 50% more is-to replace the liquid you lost from sweat and the liquid you lost and will lose from your bodies normal metabolic processes.

Okay, that's a good guideline, and one I certainly haven't been following. I can easily drink a regular size camel back in a little over an hour, but when I wear a camel back I drink constantly. Not so with water bottles, so I'll have to work on that. As for food, yes, I bonked last summer on a 50 mile ride (luckily it was with about 3 miles to go) and it was one of the worst feelings I have ever felt. The only reason I ended my ride yesterday when I did is that I ran out of food and feared bonking.

As for why I care at all about the water thing; I have been with a friend when he dehydrated, and granted this was Mtn. Biking in Moab on a hot day when he decided to shuttle back to the car on the road after a Porcupine Rim run, but it ruined him for the entire next day, so it's just something I'd rather avoid myself. On that incident we were in luck and happened to be camping with someone whose takes care of people when they drop out of the eco challenge, so he was in good hands, but the cold shakes and all sure were frightening.

vault said:
Cris Carmichal (sp?) during an OLN interview said that you need to replace 150% of the liquid you lost during your ride. the reason for the 50% more is-to replace the liquid you lost from sweat and the liquid you lost and will lose from your bodies normal metabolic processes.

I've heard the same locally - it also seems to feel just right :)

Should one worry about weight that hasn't been regained after a long ride? and does anyone know of a good 'homemade' gatorade/ powerade/ general electrolyte drink? I'm not interested in putting out for drinks and am not fond of single use plastic bottles - i'd rather sink all my money into the bike (i need all the help i can get ;))

Target ZERO weight gain/loss for your workout. You'll need to test it out to figure out what the right mix is. A buddy of mine needs 16oz/hr. Me, I need 48oz/hr. So ok, he's like 110lbs and never frickin sweats and I am 289lbs and water squirts off me like a salty fountain!

But you get the point. Your mix of water vs gatorade vs whatever will impact things.

NEW DISCOVERY FOR ME: if you are a salty sweater (sweat stings your eyes, or well, if you just taste it it's salty!) then you need to replace sodium AND potasium on the ride. Otherwise, the water you take in WILL NOT be absorbed fully and you won't get the benefit. Actually, do it long enough and it's hazardous to your health.

So do a ride, drink what you normally drink, but weigh yourself immediately before/after. Also, weigh yourself each morning. Both should net close to zero and if not you're not drinking enough during or after.

also - the comment re: having extra powerbars handy, right on.

And finally - regarding single use containers, I'm so with you on that. I've been using the same gatorade 24 oz bottles on my bike for 3 months now. Just buy the POWDER version and mix it yourself. Cheaper and better on the enviro