how much wider is sidi MEGA dominator/genius?

Ari

Guest
I tried on some sidi dominator 4 and the feel a little narrow in the forefoot. Sidi makes a wider
width called mega dominator but no local places have it. Does anyone know how the mega is wider? I
can live with the fit as it is now, so is it preferred to have a tighter fit in cycling shoes?

>From: "ari"

>I tried on some sidi dominator 4 and the >feel a little narrow in the
forefoot.

>Does anyone know how the mega is >wider?

>I can live with the fit as it is now, so is it preferred to have a >tighter fit in cycling shoes?

Sidi half sizes are wider than the full sizes below (45 1/2 is wider than 45). The Mega (road) I
tried on was very wide and very loose in the heel for me, at approx. the right length, not a
usable fit at all. I have a wide foot, @ EEE, a 45 1/2 Genius III and Genius IV fit well, I
"outgrew" my 45's.

You really need to try on the pair of shoes you intend to wear. Don't settle for snug or slightly
short, this can lead to foot problems that can't really be fixed. The old "snug fit" is a leftover
from the days of stretchy leather cycling shoes that would "mold" to a rider's foot. If the
synthetics stretch, they don't seem to stretch as much. Some folks disagree on this.

I run mine loose in the toes (width) and a little snug around the ankle (the Sidi strap works great
for this) to keep the foot from diving in to where the big toe hits the end of the shoe. Works with
my tender feet. --Tom Paterson

"ari" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I tried on some sidi dominator 4 and the feel a little narrow in the forefoot. Sidi makes a wider
> width called mega dominator but no local places have it. Does anyone know how the mega is wider? I
> can live with the fit as it is now, so is it preferred to have a tighter fit in cycling shoes?

The mega is wider all-over (toe, arch, heel). It is significantly wider than the normal model in the
same size.

Narrow shoes can become painful after some length of time, or under some conditions (like heat, when
your feet may swell). They also are a problem in colder weather since thicker socks only make them
tighter (and your feet colder). No good at all for long rides. Sidi "Lorica" shoes don't stretch, so
they won't get better with age.

[email protected] (Tom Paterson) wrote ...
> You really need to try on the pair of shoes you intend to wear. Don't settle for snug or slightly
> short, this can lead to foot problems that can't really be fixed. The old "snug fit" is a leftover
> from the days of stretchy leather cycling shoes that would "mold" to a rider's foot. If the
> synthetics stretch, they don't seem to stretch as much. Some folks disagree on this.
>
> I run mine loose in the toes (width) and a little snug around the ankle (the Sidi strap works
> great for this) to keep the foot from diving in to where the big toe hits the end of the shoe.
> Works with my tender feet.

I agree. I got Mega Dominators and find that I like them loose. I wind up tightening them (with the
ankle strap) to walk around, then loosen on the bike in the same manner. Very easy with the buckle
thingy. That solved the heel slip problem I had, which is only a problem when walking, not riding.

You can order the Dominators in Mega width from Colorado Cyclist. Try them on, and send them back if
they don't fit. Too bad you can't mount cleats and try them on on the bike...

Michael

I think the mega width is 3 mm wider than the the regular width. The half sizes have more volume in
the forefoot but are made on the same last, i. e. same length and width, as the whole sizes. You can
read about this on the sidiusa.com website. I think this means you could fill the shoes with more
insoles if you wanted to. My foot is wide and I like my megas. I find the Specialized road shoe (top
of the line model) has a wide, boxy toe which fits just as well as the mega.

L. D. Lide