How much wind do you ride in?

Riding into the wind will only make you a better rider, mentally and physically. You just have to put your head down and pedal! I ride thru the river trail here in OC california the wind comes right up the river bed off of the pacific ocean.

I was out riding today in the wind... and even though it wasn't that bad, Airjames is right. It will make you a better mental/physical rider. I mess around with my leg/footwork, cadence, positioning, and breathing when I'm in the wind, and it's actually kind of fun. Wind used to just **** me off. Now, I'm mentally tougher, if not more physically, too.

AmpedCycle said:
I was out riding today in the wind.. It will make you a better mental/physical rider.

Now, I'm mentally tougher, if not more physically, too.
I have gained two new recent experiences that I hope to make me mentally tougher.

I had the fortune to ride against very strong winds and now that's behind me as a milestone. I've done it once so I know I can do it again if the weather is bad.

Second, I had the misfortune of getting my first bad case of road rash this past Sunday trying to catch up with my riding partner. Now I know that these bikes cannot handle certain turns at 30 mph coming off a steep hill. And I gained some humility because I did it right in front of a family out in their front yard.

So my recent lessons are:

1. Riding against the wind is possible and just another type of training event.
2. Road rash stings pretty good - I kind of figured that before it happened
3. Bike crashes are expensive
a. trashed my Ultregra shifters
b. trashed my best jersey
c. trashed a good pair cycling shorts
4. First aid kits for road rash are expensive. Using the big sheets of 3M Tangaderm for my hip.
5. Gained some humility
6. Gained some experience on cleaning and treating these kinds of wounds.

But I am ready for this weekend to get back on the bike. So I think I am mentally tougher although the physical toughness.....well I could use some cycling shorts with kevlar hip panels. :)

If you really want wind to toughen you up. Dont ride out in the head wind and home with the wind in your back. But ride out with the wind in your back and when you start to tire then turn the bike around and fight your way home, perfect training.

I ride in North East Florida. If you ride before 10:00 AM, it's pretty calm. If you ride anytime in the afternoon, it's breezy. My last 5 rides have been in pretty stiff breezes. While I know it's good training, I have to agree with Bart Simpson - "I didn't think it was possible, but the wind both sucks AND blows..."

winds where i ride avg 15 mph almost every day. i **** and moan but ride anyways, good training. the worst wind i rode in was 50 mph. was really rough going out, but the ride home was worth it.