How Not To Do It

Just zis Guy, you know?

Guest
http://www.bhit.org/home.html shows how /not/ to wear a helmet...

Note that in the "figures" section the 85% figure which BeHIT were
unable to defend to ASA is the only efficacy statistic in evidence.

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> http://www.bhit.org/home.html shows how /not/ to wear a helmet...
>
> Note that in the "figures" section the 85% figure which BeHIT were
> unable to defend to ASA is the only efficacy statistic in evidence.

Be fair, it does say you should not wear the helmet so as to obstruct
your vision. I'm sure its important that kids know not to strap it on
the front of their face.

Tony

PS Is this not advertising and therefore should they be using that
figure? Based on the levels of proof the ASA required of the CTC I
would have thought that was somewhat dodgy.

Response to Just zis Guy, you know?:
> http://www.bhit.org/home.html shows how /not/ to wear a helmet...

Oddly, my first reaction was to say "*Smile!*, for God's sake! Cycling -
particularly for children - is supposed to have at least some faint
association with pleasure!" I can't help feeling more and more that the
BHIT morons and their ilk simply fear pleasure. (By contrast, do you
remember the cover of the issue of "Cycle" following the defeat of the
Martlew bill?)

--
Mark, UK.

"One should as a rule respect public opinion in so far as is
necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but
anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an
unnecessary tyranny, and is likely to interfere with happiness
in all kinds of ways."

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 11:50:54 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>http://www.bhit.org/home.html shows how /not/ to wear a helmet...
>
>Note that in the "figures" section the 85% figure which BeHIT were
>unable to defend to ASA is the only efficacy statistic in evidence.
>
>Guy

Why not let 'em know about the stats gaffe on the front page
of the website?

[email protected]

Cheers!

Mark McNeill wrote:
> Response to Just zis Guy, you know?:
>
>>http://www.bhit.org/home.html shows how /not/ to wear a helmet...

> Oddly, my first reaction was to say "*Smile!*, for God's sake! Cycling -
> particularly for children - is supposed to have at least some faint
> association with pleasure!" I can't help feeling more and more that the
> BHIT morons and their ilk simply fear pleasure.

It's just another Puritan manifestation, perhaps.

"A Puritan is someone who is desperately afraid that, somewhere, someone
might be having a good time." --Henry Louis Mencken

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 12:37:21 +0000, nobody <[email protected]> wrote
in message <[email protected]>:

>[email protected]

If you publish an address like [email protected] then it is quite
likely that the owner of [email protected] will start to receive a
lot of spam. It is very irresponsible to publish [email protected]
in this way, and I hope that [email protected] is not deluged with
spam as a result.

Actually the front page does not seem to do anything in Firefox - ha
ha!

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

Response to Just zis Guy, you know?:
> Actually the front page does not seem to do anything in Firefox - ha
> ha!

Yeah - I wondered at first if it was me and my dial-up, but *none* of the
fancy "scroll your mouse" doodads did anything. Somebody should tell
them. Not.

--
Mark, UK.

"A wartime Minister of Information is compelled, in the national
interest, to such continuous acts of duplicity that even his
natural hair must grow to resemble a wig."

Response to JLB:

Oh, I like Mencken very much indeed. New quote for the sig file...

--
Mark, UK.

"As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more
closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty
ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the
land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House
will be adorned by a downright moron."

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Actually the front page does not seem to do anything in Firefox - ha
> ha!

It does in my Firefox. Says that some cycling organisations are quick
to discredit them. Yes well it can be done rather quickly but I didn't
expect them to admit it!

Tony

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> http://www.bhit.org/home.html shows how /not/ to wear a helmet...
>
> Note that in the "figures" section the 85% figure which BeHIT were
> unable to defend to ASA is the only efficacy statistic in evidence.
>
> Guy

What's this about then:

"A World Health Organisation Co-operating Helmet Initiative"?

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 11:50:54 +0000 someone who may be "Just zis Guy,
you know?" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>http://www.bhit.org/home.html shows how /not/ to wear a helmet...
>
>Note that in the "figures" section the 85% figure which BeHIT were
>unable to defend to ASA is the only efficacy statistic in evidence.

I see the following on http://www.bhit.org/home.html "Research has
demonstrated that helmets can reduce the severity of head injuries
by up to 85 per cent." It is most interesting that they are so
devoid of scruples that they continue to parrot this lie.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 13:10:28 +0000, Not Responding <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>"A World Health Organisation Co-operating Helmet Initiative"?

There is a WHO Helmet Initiative. I haven't yet found the websites
for the WHO cycle training initiative, the WHO maintenance initiative,
the WHO cycle lighting initiative, the WHO driving standards
initiative...

Guy
--

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 13:10:28 +0000, Not Responding <[email protected]>
> wrote in message <[email protected]>:
>

>>"A World Health Organisation Co-operating Helmet Initiative"?

> There is a WHO Helmet Initiative. I haven't yet found the websites
> for the WHO cycle training initiative, the WHO maintenance initiative,
> the WHO cycle lighting initiative, the WHO driving standards
> initiative...
>
> Guy

The helmet one appears to be here

http://www.whohelmets.org

Response to Not Responding:

http://www.whohelmets.org/about.htm

--
Mark, UK.

"If you give me six lines written by the most honest man, I will
find something in them to hang him."

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 13:26:24 +0000, Not Responding <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>The helmet one appears to be here

I understand it is the work of a lone zealot, and not really an
official WHO site.

Guy
--

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 12:01:37 +0000, Tony Raven wrote:

> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>> http://www.bhit.org/home.html shows how /not/ to wear a helmet...
>>
>> Note that in the "figures" section the 85% figure which BeHIT were
>> unable to defend to ASA is the only efficacy statistic in evidence.
>>

> Be fair, it does say you should not wear the helmet so as to obstruct
> your vision. I'm sure its important that kids know not to strap it on
> the front of their face.

That poor girl must have very high eyebrows.

--
Michael MacClancy

"Not Responding" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The helmet one appears to be here
>
> http://www.whohelmets.org

One of their statements:
"Requiring helmet wearing - by law - is an effective strategy to increase
helmet use and to reduce death and injury".

Yes, but I'm over 18, if the "facts" are presented to me then providing I
don't endanger anyone else surely I can decide whether to carry the risk.

Pete

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 13:26:24 +0000, Not Responding <[email protected]>
> wrote in message <[email protected]>:
>

>>The helmet one appears to be here

> I understand it is the work of a lone zealot, and not really an
> official WHO site.
>
> Guy

Nothing to do with the WHO at all by the looks of it. Uses the WHO logo
and passes itself off as one but wouldn't it be sweet if the only
member, who uses the WHO logo on their website, was part of a fraudulent
body. I have contacted the WHO to ask the question.

Tony

Domain ID:D104386457-LROR
Domain Name:WHOHELMETS.ORG
Created On:17-May-2004 19:54:29 UTC
Last Updated On:17-Jul-2004 03:58:29 UTC
Expiration Date:17-May-2005 19:54:29 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:eNom Inc. (R39-LROR)
Status:OK
Registrant ID:819CD7065FB30B92
Registrant Name:philip L. Graitcer
Registrant Organization:philip L. Graitcer
Registrant Street1:926 Myrtle Street
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Atlanta
Registrant State/Province:GA
Registrant Postal Code:30309
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.4048727337
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:p[email protected]
Admin ID:819CD7065FB30B92
Admin Name:philip L. Graitcer
Admin Organization:philip L. Graitcer
Admin Street1:926 Myrtle Street
Admin Street2:
Admin Street3:
Admin City:Atlanta
Admin State/Province:GA
Admin Postal Code:30309
Admin Country:US
Admin Phone:+1.4048727337
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:p[email protected]
Tech ID:819CD7065FB30B92
Tech Name:philip L. Graitcer
Tech Organization:philip L. Graitcer
Tech Street1:926 Myrtle Street
Tech Street2:
Tech Street3:
Tech City:Atlanta
Tech State/Province:GA
Tech Postal Code:30309
Tech Country:US
Tech Phone:+1.4048727337
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email:p[email protected]
Name Server:DNS1.SUPREMESERVER7.COM
Name Server:DNS2.SUPREMESERVER7.COM

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 14:02:02 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> I understand it is the work of a lone zealot, and not really an official
> WHO site.

However the real WHO are in favour of them...

"... and overwhelming evidence in favour of bicycle helmet programmes..."

<http://www.euro.who.int/eprise/main/WHO/Progs/HEN/Syntheses/injuries/20041016_1>

They're also fond of misrepresenting statistics...

"Who are the road users most likely to be injured in crashes?
... for each kilometer travelled on a road in the European Union, a
person on a bicycle is eight times more likely to be killed than a
person in a car..."

<http://www.who.int/world-health-day/2004/infomaterials/en/brochure_en.pdf>

Mike

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 15:27:34 +0100, "Peter B" <[email protected]>
wrote:

| Yes, but I'm over 18, if the "facts" are presented to me then providing I
| don't endanger anyone else surely I can decide whether to carry the risk.

Then if you end up a cabbage for years with head injury before you die, the
Good Old National Health Service aka the rest of us pay for your care.

--
Dave F