How Not To Do It

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just zis Guy, you know?, Feb 5, 2005.

  1. http://www.bhit.org/home.html shows how /not/ to wear a helmet...

    Note that in the "figures" section the 85% figure which BeHIT were
    unable to defend to ASA is the only efficacy statistic in evidence.

    Guy
    --
    "then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
    blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > http://www.bhit.org/home.html shows how /not/ to wear a helmet...
    >
    > Note that in the "figures" section the 85% figure which BeHIT were
    > unable to defend to ASA is the only efficacy statistic in evidence.

    Be fair, it does say you should not wear the helmet so as to obstruct
    your vision. I'm sure its important that kids know not to strap it on
    the front of their face.

    Tony

    PS Is this not advertising and therefore should they be using that
    figure? Based on the levels of proof the ASA required of the CTC I
    would have thought that was somewhat dodgy.

  3. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to Just zis Guy, you know?:
    > http://www.bhit.org/home.html shows how /not/ to wear a helmet...

    Oddly, my first reaction was to say "*Smile!*, for God's sake! Cycling -
    particularly for children - is supposed to have at least some faint
    association with pleasure!" I can't help feeling more and more that the
    BHIT morons and their ilk simply fear pleasure. (By contrast, do you
    remember the cover of the issue of "Cycle" following the defeat of the
    Martlew bill?)

    --
    Mark, UK.

    "One should as a rule respect public opinion in so far as is
    necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but
    anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an
    unnecessary tyranny, and is likely to interfere with happiness
    in all kinds of ways."

  4. nobody

    nobody Guest

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 11:50:54 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >http://www.bhit.org/home.html shows how /not/ to wear a helmet...
    >
    >Note that in the "figures" section the 85% figure which BeHIT were
    >unable to defend to ASA is the only efficacy statistic in evidence.
    >
    >Guy

    Why not let 'em know about the stats gaffe on the front page
    of the website?

    [email protected]

    Cheers!

  5. JLB

    JLB Guest

    Mark McNeill wrote:
    > Response to Just zis Guy, you know?:
    >
    >>http://www.bhit.org/home.html shows how /not/ to wear a helmet...

    > Oddly, my first reaction was to say "*Smile!*, for God's sake! Cycling -
    > particularly for children - is supposed to have at least some faint
    > association with pleasure!" I can't help feeling more and more that the
    > BHIT morons and their ilk simply fear pleasure.

    It's just another Puritan manifestation, perhaps.

    "A Puritan is someone who is desperately afraid that, somewhere, someone
    might be having a good time." --Henry Louis Mencken

    --
    Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

  6. On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 12:37:21 +0000, nobody <[email protected]> wrote
    in message <[email protected]>:

    >[email protected]

    If you publish an address like [email protected] then it is quite
    likely that the owner of [email protected] will start to receive a
    lot of spam. It is very irresponsible to publish [email protected]
    in this way, and I hope that [email protected] is not deluged with
    spam as a result.

    Actually the front page does not seem to do anything in Firefox - ha
    ha!

    Guy
    --
    "then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
    blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
    onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
    around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

  7. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to Just zis Guy, you know?:
    > Actually the front page does not seem to do anything in Firefox - ha
    > ha!

    Yeah - I wondered at first if it was me and my dial-up, but *none* of the
    fancy "scroll your mouse" doodads did anything. Somebody should tell
    them. Not.

    --
    Mark, UK.

    "A wartime Minister of Information is compelled, in the national
    interest, to such continuous acts of duplicity that even his
    natural hair must grow to resemble a wig."

  8. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to JLB:

    Oh, I like Mencken very much indeed. New quote for the sig file...

    --
    Mark, UK.

    "As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more
    closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty
    ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the
    land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House
    will be adorned by a downright moron."

  9. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > Actually the front page does not seem to do anything in Firefox - ha
    > ha!

    It does in my Firefox. Says that some cycling organisations are quick
    to discredit them. Yes well it can be done rather quickly but I didn't
    expect them to admit it!

    Tony

  10. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > http://www.bhit.org/home.html shows how /not/ to wear a helmet...
    >
    > Note that in the "figures" section the 85% figure which BeHIT were
    > unable to defend to ASA is the only efficacy statistic in evidence.
    >
    > Guy

    What's this about then:

    "A World Health Organisation Co-operating Helmet Initiative"?

  11. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 11:50:54 +0000 someone who may be "Just zis Guy,
    you know?" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >http://www.bhit.org/home.html shows how /not/ to wear a helmet...
    >
    >Note that in the "figures" section the 85% figure which BeHIT were
    >unable to defend to ASA is the only efficacy statistic in evidence.

    I see the following on http://www.bhit.org/home.html "Research has
    demonstrated that helmets can reduce the severity of head injuries
    by up to 85 per cent." It is most interesting that they are so
    devoid of scruples that they continue to parrot this lie.

    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

  12. On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 13:10:28 +0000, Not Responding <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >"A World Health Organisation Co-operating Helmet Initiative"?

    There is a WHO Helmet Initiative. I haven't yet found the websites
    for the WHO cycle training initiative, the WHO maintenance initiative,
    the WHO cycle lighting initiative, the WHO driving standards
    initiative...

    Guy
    --

  13. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 13:10:28 +0000, Not Responding <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message <[email protected]>:
    >

    >>"A World Health Organisation Co-operating Helmet Initiative"?

    > There is a WHO Helmet Initiative. I haven't yet found the websites
    > for the WHO cycle training initiative, the WHO maintenance initiative,
    > the WHO cycle lighting initiative, the WHO driving standards
    > initiative...
    >
    > Guy

    The helmet one appears to be here

    http://www.whohelmets.org

  14. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to Not Responding:

    http://www.whohelmets.org/about.htm

    --
    Mark, UK.

    "If you give me six lines written by the most honest man, I will
    find something in them to hang him."

  15. On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 13:26:24 +0000, Not Responding <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >The helmet one appears to be here

    I understand it is the work of a lone zealot, and not really an
    official WHO site.

    Guy
    --

  16. On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 12:01:37 +0000, Tony Raven wrote:

    > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    >> http://www.bhit.org/home.html shows how /not/ to wear a helmet...
    >>
    >> Note that in the "figures" section the 85% figure which BeHIT were
    >> unable to defend to ASA is the only efficacy statistic in evidence.
    >>

    > Be fair, it does say you should not wear the helmet so as to obstruct
    > your vision. I'm sure its important that kids know not to strap it on
    > the front of their face.

    That poor girl must have very high eyebrows.

    --
    Michael MacClancy

  17. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Not Responding" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The helmet one appears to be here
    >
    > http://www.whohelmets.org

    One of their statements:
    "Requiring helmet wearing - by law - is an effective strategy to increase
    helmet use and to reduce death and injury".

    Yes, but I'm over 18, if the "facts" are presented to me then providing I
    don't endanger anyone else surely I can decide whether to carry the risk.

    Pete

  18. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 13:26:24 +0000, Not Responding <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message <[email protected]>:
    >

    >>The helmet one appears to be here

    > I understand it is the work of a lone zealot, and not really an
    > official WHO site.
    >
    > Guy

    Nothing to do with the WHO at all by the looks of it. Uses the WHO logo
    and passes itself off as one but wouldn't it be sweet if the only
    member, who uses the WHO logo on their website, was part of a fraudulent
    body. I have contacted the WHO to ask the question.

    Tony

    Domain ID:D104386457-LROR
    Domain Name:WHOHELMETS.ORG
    Created On:17-May-2004 19:54:29 UTC
    Last Updated On:17-Jul-2004 03:58:29 UTC
    Expiration Date:17-May-2005 19:54:29 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar:eNom Inc. (R39-LROR)
    Status:OK
    Registrant ID:819CD7065FB30B92
    Registrant Name:philip L. Graitcer
    Registrant Organization:philip L. Graitcer
    Registrant Street1:926 Myrtle Street
    Registrant Street2:
    Registrant Street3:
    Registrant City:Atlanta
    Registrant State/Province:GA
    Registrant Postal Code:30309
    Registrant Country:US
    Registrant Phone:+1.4048727337
    Registrant Phone Ext.:
    Registrant FAX:
    Registrant FAX Ext.:
    Registrant Email:p[email protected]
    Admin ID:819CD7065FB30B92
    Admin Name:philip L. Graitcer
    Admin Organization:philip L. Graitcer
    Admin Street1:926 Myrtle Street
    Admin Street2:
    Admin Street3:
    Admin City:Atlanta
    Admin State/Province:GA
    Admin Postal Code:30309
    Admin Country:US
    Admin Phone:+1.4048727337
    Admin Phone Ext.:
    Admin FAX:
    Admin FAX Ext.:
    Admin Email:p[email protected]
    Tech ID:819CD7065FB30B92
    Tech Name:philip L. Graitcer
    Tech Organization:philip L. Graitcer
    Tech Street1:926 Myrtle Street
    Tech Street2:
    Tech Street3:
    Tech City:Atlanta
    Tech State/Province:GA
    Tech Postal Code:30309
    Tech Country:US
    Tech Phone:+1.4048727337
    Tech Phone Ext.:
    Tech FAX:
    Tech FAX Ext.:
    Tech Email:p[email protected]
    Name Server:DNS1.SUPREMESERVER7.COM
    Name Server:DNS2.SUPREMESERVER7.COM

  19. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 14:02:02 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > I understand it is the work of a lone zealot, and not really an official
    > WHO site.

    However the real WHO are in favour of them...

    "... and overwhelming evidence in favour of bicycle helmet programmes..."

    <http://www.euro.who.int/eprise/main/WHO/Progs/HEN/Syntheses/injuries/20041016_1>

    They're also fond of misrepresenting statistics...

    "Who are the road users most likely to be injured in crashes?
    ... for each kilometer travelled on a road in the European Union, a
    person on a bicycle is eight times more likely to be killed than a
    person in a car..."

    <http://www.who.int/world-health-day/2004/infomaterials/en/brochure_en.pdf>

    Mike

  20. On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 15:27:34 +0100, "Peter B" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    | Yes, but I'm over 18, if the "facts" are presented to me then providing I
    | don't endanger anyone else surely I can decide whether to carry the risk.

    Then if you end up a cabbage for years with head injury before you die, the
    Good Old National Health Service aka the rest of us pay for your care.

    --
    Dave F