How not to feel low

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Hillel, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Hillel

    Hillel Guest

    Some comments often made about the Rotator Tiger is that people think it's too low to be safe.
    Lowracers scare them.

    Yesterday, on the way home from work I was passed by a Lamborghini Diablo(?). The top of that car
    was below my shoulder while riding the Tiger. :)

    Tags:

  2. How'd you let a Lamborghini get by you? Dan Kluckhuhn

    "Hillel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Some comments often made about the Rotator Tiger is that people think it's too low to be safe.
    > Lowracers scare them.
    >
    > Yesterday, on the way home from work I was passed by a Lamborghini Diablo(?). The top of that car
    > was below my shoulder while riding the Tiger. :)

  3. Skip

    Skip Guest

  4. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    skip wrote:

    > "Dan Kluckhuhn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > How'd you let a Lamborghini get by you? Dan Kluckhuhn
    >
    > Yeah. We could use a good I smoked a Lamborghini story.

    Go to Italy where Lamborghini is known for its tractors. [1] I have passed quite a few tractors
    while riding.

    [1] The automotive division was sold off long ago and has passed through the hands of many owners
    and is currently owned by the Volkswagen group.

  5. Tom Sherman wrote:
    > skip wrote:
    >>
    >> Dan Kluckhuhn wrote:
    >>> How'd you let a Lamborghini get by you? Dan Kluckhuhn
    >>
    >> Yeah. We could use a good I smoked a Lamborghini story.
    >
    > Go to Italy where Lamborghini is known for its tractors.

    No need. Just wait until they're stuck in traffic. Lambos are not a common sight around here, but I
    usually manage to leave a Ferrari behind every couple of weeks.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  6. On Sunday noon I smoked a NEW Ferarri. Twas Black and looked to be about 10 minutes old. I was in
    the Financial District (Toronto) on a one way street (Adelaide Street). I was waiting for the
    traffic light to change when this beautiful Ferarri pulls up beside me. Late 50s looking chap
    driving...we look at each other for a second and I yell....hey Mister...ya wanna race me. The guys
    grins and humors me. He starts reving his engine, really loud like a F-1, the car is now vibrating
    and the light turns green and I glance over and see his tires spinning but he ain't moving an
    inch....just moves side to side with his wheels spinning and then this high pitched squeal and he is
    off like 0-80 mph in 4 seconds. Meanwhile I arrived at the next Red traffic light only a block away
    just as he hits his brakes and slides up next to me. I look over and yell...Hey Mister what took you
    so long. He wasn't smiling now and did an illegal turn and shot up North on Bay Street like a
    rocket. I know that car was mega fast, but with only 500 feet between Red traffic lights....I smoked
    him good. That car btw is like $600K in Toronto.
    ----------------------------------
    "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]hoo.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Tom Sherman wrote:
    > > skip wrote:

    > >> Yeah. We could use a good I smoked a Lamborghini story.
    > >
    > > Go to Italy where Lamborghini is known for its tractors.
    >
    > No need. Just wait until they're stuck in traffic. Lambos are not a
    common
    > sight around here, but I usually manage to leave a Ferrari behind every couple of weeks.
    >
    > Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  7. Hillel

    Hillel Guest

    He was going the other way. (For the locals: the car was turning from Hawthorne Pkwy. to eastbound
    on Canon Rd. while I was heading west.)

    "Dan Kluckhuhn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How'd you let a Lamborghini get by you? Dan Kluckhuhn
    >
    > "Hillel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Some comments often made about the Rotator Tiger is that people think it's too low to be safe.
    > > Lowracers scare them.
    > >
    > > Yesterday, on the way home from work I was passed by a Lamborghini Diablo(?). The top of that
    > > car was below my shoulder while riding the Tiger. :)

  8. Skip

    Skip Guest

    > On Sunday noon I smoked a NEW Ferarri. Twas Black and looked to be about
    10
    > minutes old. I was in the Financial District (Toronto) on a one way street (Adelaide Street). I
    > was waiting for the traffic light to change when this beautiful Ferarri pulls up beside me. Late
    > 50s looking chap driving...we look at each other for a second and I yell....hey Mister...ya
    > wanna race
    me.
    > The guys grins and humors me. He starts reving his engine, really loud
    like
    > a F-1, the car is now vibrating and the light turns green and I glance
    over
    > and see his tires spinning but he ain't moving an inch....just moves side
    > side with his wheels spinning and then this high pitched squeal and he is off like 0-80 mph in 4
    > seconds. Meanwhile I arrived at the next Red
    traffic
    > light only a block away just as he hits his brakes and slides up next to
    mf.
    > I look over and yell...Hey Mister what took you so long. He wasn't smiling now and did an illegal
    > turn and shot up North on Bay Street like a rocket. I know that car was mega fast, but with only
    > 500 feet between Red traffic lights....I smoked him good. That car btw is like $600K in Toronto.

    I give you a A+ grade on your "I smoked a Ferarri" story. As usual your story was an excellent work.
    Just what we needed.

    thanks.

    skip

  9. Skip I keep forgetting to mention my CLWB has a 68 Volt 500 watt Hub Motor with a Burst to 1,000
    watts for 5 seconds. On a flat street I can clock 45 mph at -45 mph in 8 seconds. I do have 2
    bents without E-Motors as well. I'll try and remember to mention if I am smoking Ferarris with or
    without my E-Bent involved. No point in folks here thinking this old coot is clocking 45 mph under
    his own steam.
    ***************************
    "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Sunday noon I smoked a NEW Ferarri. Twas Black and looked to be about
    > 10
    > > minutes old. I was in the Financial District (Toronto) on a one way
    street
    > > (Adelaide Street). I was waiting for the traffic light to change when
    this
    > > beautiful Ferarri pulls up beside me. Late 50s looking chap driving...we look at each other for
    > > a second and I yell....hey Mister...ya wanna race
    > me.
    > > The guys grins and humors me. He starts reving his engine, really loud
    > like
    > > a F-1, the car is now vibrating and the light turns green and I glance
    > over
    > > and see his tires spinning but he ain't moving an inch....just moves
    side
    > > side with his wheels spinning and then this high pitched squeal and he
    is
    > > off like 0-80 mph in 4 seconds. Meanwhile I arrived at the next Red
    > traffic
    > > light only a block away just as he hits his brakes and slides up next to
    > me.
    > > I look over and yell...Hey Mister what took you so long. He wasn't
    smiling
    > > now and did an illegal turn and shot up North on Bay Street like a
    rocket.
    > > I know that car was mega fast, but with only 500 feet between Red
    traffic
    > > lights....I smoked him good. That car btw is like $600K in Toronto.
    >

    > I give you a A+ grade on your "I smoked a Ferarri" story. As usual your story was an excellent
    > work. Just what we needed.
    >
    > thanks.
    >
    > skip

  10. "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Skip I keep forgetting to mention my CLWB has a 68 Volt 500 watt Hub Motor with
    > Burst to 1,000 watts for 5 seconds. On a flat street I can clock 45 mph at -45 mph in 8 seconds. I
    > do have 2 bents without E-Motors as well. I'll try and remember to
    mention
    > if I am smoking Ferarris with or without my E-Bent involved. No point in folks here thinking this
    > old coot is clocking 45 mph under his own steam.

    Don't worry, I do think most consider your stories "tongue in cheek" anyway.

    But I envy you for having such a toy, no way it would be legal around here. But we do have (or had)
    the "Ellert" http://www.ellert.info/images/ET2002-3.jpg

    Regards, Torben

  11. Skip

    Skip Guest

    > Skip I keep forgetting to mention my CLWB has a 68 Volt 500 watt Hub Motor with
    > Burst to 1,000 watts for 5 seconds. On a flat street I can clock 45 mph at -45 mph in 8 seconds. I
    > do have 2 bents without E-Motors as well. I'll try and remember to
    mention
    > if I am smoking Ferarris with or without my E-Bent involved. No point in folks here thinking this
    > old coot is clocking 45 mph under his own steam.
    > ***************************
    I just may have to try a Hub Motor. I'm guessing though that 0 -45 mph in 8 seconds on a Bike E
    might be a real thrill in the handling department. Also in my imagination having a bmx type
    tadpole trike with a gas motor on a banked dirt track would be a ton of fun (or maybe a quick trip
    to the ER).

    skip (who didn't get to ride those Honda three wheelers in his youth)

  12. Skip I sold one Hi-Speed E-Motor system to a chap with a RANS V2, with that fairing he should fly.
    Another one went to a woman with a BikeE who has had this Grin that is what a cat would have after
    eating a mouse...her line was I'm smoking dem roadies real good now. Next up is a 69 yearold Bent
    rider who said he wants to keep up to his son on rides....his son btw drives a Motorcycle. At some
    point everyone will desire a motor assist for their bent...it just takes some of us longer to figure
    it out. Re: all the benefits of having a bent HPV are still there...except now you can do 25 mph up
    hill or into a strong headwind. AND before anyone points out the E-Motor and batteries weigh a ton,
    they don't and there is hardly any noticeable drag (if) a properly balanced cargo trailer is used
    for your batteries.....hmmm am singing to the wrong Choir (NewsGroup) here again. "skip"

    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Skip I keep forgetting to mention my CLWB has a 68 Volt 500 watt Hub Motor
    with
    > > Burst to 1,000 watts for 5 seconds. On a flat street I can clock 45 mph
    at
    > > -45 mph in 8 seconds. I do have 2 bents without E-Motors as well. I'll try and remember to
    > mention
    > > if I am smoking Ferarris with or without my E-Bent involved. No point in folks here thinking
    > > this old coot is clocking 45 mph under
    his
    > > own steam.
    > > ***************************
    > I just may have to try a Hub Motor. I'm guessing though that 0 -45 mph
    in
    > 8 seconds on a Bike E might be a real thrill in the handling department. Also in my imagination
    > having a bmx type tadpole trike with a gas motor on
    > banked dirt track would be a ton of fun (or maybe a quick trip to the ER).
    >
    > skip (who didn't get to ride those Honda three wheelers in his youth)

  13. Hillel

    Hillel Guest

    > Skip I keep forgetting to mention my CLWB has a 68 Volt 500 watt Hub Motor with
    > Burst to 1,000 watts for 5 seconds. On a flat street I can clock 45 mph at -45 mph in 8 seconds. I
    > do have 2 bents without E-Motors as well. I'll try and remember to
    mention
    > if I am smoking Ferarris with or without my E-Bent involved. No point in folks here thinking this
    > old coot is clocking 45 mph under his own steam.
    > ***************************

    Now you tell us you had an E-motor! I tried that trick on a Corvette that turned into the road right
    behind me on the way home the other day (with no E-motor), and barely made it to the near
    intersection at the same time. We both had a good laugh while stopped at the light, and I got a nice
    applause from a car driver waiting on the other side of the light.

    I get the feeling that taking Road Runner advice from Wile E. Coyote is extremely hazardous. :)

  14. "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > But we do have (or had) the "Ellert" http://www.ellert.info/images/ET2002-3.jpg
    >
    > Regards, Torben

    WOW! I thought 'elllert' would be a radar speed detecter for Joshua. What a surprising neat vehicle
    similar to the Messershmidt(sp) of the '50s. Us "backwoods" Californians should see more
    transportation the rest of the world is enjoying!

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  15. Joshua Goldberg <[email protected]> wrote:
    : off like 0-80 mph in 4 seconds. Meanwhile I arrived at the next Red traffic light only a block
    : away just as he hits his brakes and slides up next to me. I look over and yell...Hey Mister what
    : took you so long. He wasn't smiling now and did an illegal turn and shot up North on Bay Street
    : like a rocket. I know that car was mega fast, but with only 500 feet between Red traffic
    : lights....I smoked him good. That car btw is like $600K in Toronto.

    That was one pretty expensive $600K :(

    I guess it wasn't a fair match b'coz you didn't give the guy time to warm up his tires. Your
    bragging prolly made it even worse, too ;)

  16. Joshua Goldberg <[email protected]> wrote:
    : At some point everyone will desire a motor assist for their bent...it just takes some of us longer
    : to figure it out. Re: all the benefits of having a bent HPV are still there...except now you can
    : do 25 mph up hill or into a strong headwind.

    Bleh, 25 mph uphill can be done on a decent upright... dunno about headwinds :p

    : don't and there is hardly any noticeable drag (if) a properly balanced cargo trailer is used for
    : your batteries.....hmmm am singing to the wrong Choir

    Just get a trike.

  17. hey speaking of Lamborghinis - I just came home from Kuaui, and saw a very red Lamborghini Diablo
    (?) pulled over by 3 cop cars. The driver had a long white beard, long white hair, aloha shirt -
    looked exactly like Santa on summer vacation. What a picture that would have made - Santa busted
    in Hawaii!!

    "Hillel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Some comments often made about the Rotator Tiger is that people think it's too low to be safe.
    > Lowracers scare them.
    >
    > Yesterday, on the way home from work I was passed by a Lamborghini Diablo(?). The top of that car
    > was below my shoulder while riding the Tiger. :)

  18. Bill Just spent 8 hours on Yahoo preaching to the masses about how good the Crystalyte Hub Motor
    kits are and then I see your message....at least everyone on Yahoo already has a motor on their DF
    or Bent and there are an awfully large # of bent folk on Yahoo with Motor-Assists. Same questions
    too, like what tires to use, what PSI, suspension systems, hardshell seats etc.

    Your question on bike paths excluding Power-Assisted bikes? The exclusion is directed at ICE bikes
    (ICE = Internal Combustion Engines), most trails/paths accept the quiet E-Motors. Not sure anyone
    would appreciate an E-Bike doing 45 mph though, sane driving speeds and courtesy are expected always
    and if any cyclist beit HPV or Power-Assisted needs to respect others or should be banned.

    As for why not just buy a Motorcycle?

    Well an E-Motor Power-Assisted DF or Bent is currently excluded from requiring a Drivers Permit,
    Licence, Registration, Insurance, does NOT need to pay for Metered parking, does not have to remain
    on the road when traffic is backed up 5 miles, most of our bikes can be put into the trunk of a car,
    taken on Public Transit etc...none of which you can do with with a Motorcycle and we usually build
    our bikes and a Motorcycle you pay the big bucks and ride it away from the dealer showroom.

    Enuff Said
    "Bill Anton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hmmm, a 500 watt hub motor sounds tempting. I'd need something like a 62T chainring up front if I
    > wanted to pedal very much at 45 MPH without spinning a 180 cadence. (I've done 45 before without a
    > motor, downhill.) Wouldn't such a motor technically exclude you from any bike path where
    > "motorized vehicles" are prohibited? 45 on a hike/bike trail would sure piss of some old ladies
    > out walking their dogs.
    >
    > For me, though, there's another overriding concern: a motor seems to defeat the purpose of cycling
    > for fitness. Hills and headwinds give me a challenge to which I must rise. Sometimes I like to
    > ride out downwind first, then fight the wind coming home. A motor in these situations would get me
    > to the house sooner, but in the end I'd have less muscle mass and less cardiovascular endurance.
    > Sure motors are fun, but then motorcycles are fun too. If you want basic and expedient
    > transportation and are willing to sacrifice exercise, then why not just get a motorbike?
    >
    > Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 SWB OSS Lubbock, TX, USA

  19. Bill Anton

    Bill Anton Guest

  20. "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > As for why not just buy a Motorcycle?
    >
    > Well an E-Motor Power-Assisted DF or Bent is currently excluded from requiring a Drivers Permit,
    > Licence, Registration, Insurance, does NOT need to pay for Metered parking, does not have to
    > remain on the road when traffic is backed up 5 miles, most of our bikes can be put into the trunk
    > of a car, taken on Public Transit etc...none of which you can do with with a Motorcycle and we
    > usually build our bikes and a Motorcycle you pay the big bucks and ride it away from the dealer
    > showroom.

    Well, now, that's a fairly broad and inaccurate statement. Most places have limits on both wattage
    and speed in order to go unlicensed. These rules apply whether you are using electric or ICE. IIRC,
    in the US that limit is 250 watts and 20 MPH, but I'm not 100% certain of these numbers. They should
    be somewhat close, though.

    So your 500 watt, 45 MPH powered trike wouldn't qualify as an unregisterable vehicle.

    Claiming your vehicle is "power assisted" in order to get around traffic and licensing regulations
    is a very good way to both piss off other drivers and screw things up for people using
    power-assists properly.

    -Bill Hamilton