How not to train for XC race

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Kent, Jun 8, 2003.

  1. Kent

    Kent Guest

    OK so I read a Tri-athlete mag and realise, (with a thud that I always knew), that I am overweight
    for my height. I would like to loose about 14-21 pounds. So if I weigh less - I go faster uphill!!!
    Sorted, simple really!

    So I started the Atkins diet. Carried on training every other day for 2 Hours at a time after a week
    it went to every 3 days. Lost 14 pounds in 21/2 weeks. Gave a pint of blood on the Tuesday and raced
    on the Sunday. Started eating carbs 20 hours before the race. Result, 10 out of 14 entered, with 2
    retired due to mechanical failure. I have never been so knackered. Conclusion - I Overtrained for 2
    weeks, I didn't carb load before the race for at least 4 days and as for donating blood before a
    race - W$*@%K!

    Remedy - Eat proper food for cycling, if I feel I am over weight then slightly reduce my intake.
    Ensure recovery. Do not donate blood before a race.

    Think about what I am doing, Dragging my exhausted carcass across the finish line started some alarm
    bells ringing.

    I still love cycling though!

    --

    Regards

    Kent

    Tags:

  2. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > OK so I read a Tri-athlete mag and realise, (with a thud that I always knew), that I am overweight
    > for my height. I would like to loose about
    14-21
    > pounds. So if I weigh less - I go faster uphill!!! Sorted, simple really!
    >
    > So I started the Atkins diet. Carried on training every other day for 2 Hours at a time after a
    > week it went to every 3 days. Lost 14 pounds in
    21/2
    > weeks. Gave a pint of blood on the Tuesday and raced on the Sunday.
    Started
    > eating carbs 20 hours before the race. Result, 10 out of 14 entered, with 2 retired due to
    > mechanical failure. I have never been so knackered. Conclusion - I Overtrained for 2 weeks, I
    > didn't carb load before the race for at least 4 days and as for donating blood before a race
    > - W$*@%K!
    >
    > Remedy - Eat proper food for cycling, if I feel I am over weight then slightly reduce my intake.
    > Ensure recovery. Do not donate blood before a race.
    >
    > Think about what I am doing, Dragging my exhausted carcass across the
    finish
    > line started some alarm bells ringing.
    >
    > I still love cycling though!
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Kent

    14 pounds in 2.5 weeks is a bit excessive. A LOT excessive. figure a pound or two a week, otherwise
    you're probably losing both water weight and muscle in addition to fat.

    Jon Bond

  3. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Kent thoughtfully penned:
    > OK so I read a Tri-athlete mag and realise, (with a thud that I always knew), that I am overweight
    > for my height. I would like to loose about 14-21 pounds. So if I weigh less - I go faster
    > uphill!!! Sorted, simple really!
    >
    > So I started the Atkins diet. Carried on training every other day for 2 Hours at a time after a
    > week it went to every 3 days. Lost 14 pounds in 21/2 weeks. Gave a pint of blood on the Tuesday
    > and raced on the Sunday. Started eating carbs 20 hours before the race. Result, 10 out of 14
    > entered, with 2 retired due to mechanical failure. I have never been so knackered. Conclusion - I
    > Overtrained for 2 weeks, I didn't carb load before the race for at least 4 days and as for
    > donating blood before a race - W$*@%K!
    >
    > Remedy - Eat proper food for cycling, if I feel I am over weight then slightly reduce my intake.
    > Ensure recovery. Do not donate blood before a race.
    >
    > Think about what I am doing, Dragging my exhausted carcass across the finish line started some
    > alarm bells ringing.
    >
    > I still love cycling though!

    so, did you puke?

    ;-)

  4. Penny, I have read this newsgroup daily for the past year, so far your punk remark is the
    funniest yet.

    Dean Stepper Laguna Beach, CA.

    > Kent thoughtfully penned:
    > > OK so I read a Tri-athlete mag and realise, (with a thud that I always knew), that I am
    > > overweight for my height. I would like to loose about 14-21 pounds. So if I weigh less - I go
    > > faster uphill!!! Sorted, simple really!
    > >
    > > So I started the Atkins diet. Carried on training every other day for 2 Hours at a time after a
    > > week it went to every 3 days. Lost 14 pounds in 21/2 weeks. Gave a pint of blood on the Tuesday
    > > and raced on the Sunday. Started eating carbs 20 hours before the race. Result, 10 out of 14
    > > entered, with 2 retired due to mechanical failure. I have never been so knackered. Conclusion -
    > > I Overtrained for 2 weeks, I didn't carb load before the race for at least 4 days and as for
    > > donating blood before a race - W$*@%K!
    > >
    > > Remedy - Eat proper food for cycling, if I feel I am over weight then slightly reduce my intake.
    > > Ensure recovery. Do not donate blood before a race.
    > >
    > > Think about what I am doing, Dragging my exhausted carcass across the finish line started some
    > > alarm bells ringing.
    > >
    > > I still love cycling though!
    >
    > so, did you puke?
    >
    > ;-)

  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > OK so I read a Tri-athlete mag and realise, (with a thud that I always knew), that I am overweight
    > for my height. I would like to loose about
    14-21
    > pounds. So if I weigh less - I go faster uphill!!! Sorted, simple really!
    >
    > So I started the Atkins diet. Carried on training every other day for 2 Hours at a time after a
    > week it went to every 3 days. Lost 14 pounds in
    21/2
    > weeks. Gave a pint of blood on the Tuesday and raced on the Sunday.
    Started
    > eating carbs 20 hours before the race. Result, 10 out of 14 entered, with 2 retired due to
    > mechanical failure. I have never been so knackered. Conclusion - I Overtrained for 2 weeks, I
    > didn't carb load before the race for at least 4 days and as for donating blood before a race
    > - W$*@%K!
    >
    > Remedy - Eat proper food for cycling, if I feel I am over weight then slightly reduce my intake.
    > Ensure recovery. Do not donate blood before a race.
    >
    > Think about what I am doing, Dragging my exhausted carcass across the
    finish
    > line started some alarm bells ringing.
    >
    > I still love cycling though!
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Kent

    ....and do they make you wear a helmet when you're a passenger in a car, Kent ?... ;-) But, hey,
    seriously. Congrats on finishing a tri (was it a tri race?) against all odds!! Dave.

  6. Jd

    Jd Guest

  7. Kent

    Kent Guest

    If I sit in the middle of the back seat I don't have to wear the helmet. No not a Tri race, just XC.
    I run and swim for fitness and will do a mini Tri this year with the local Tri club - God help me on
    that one. With some of the other comments on this I have to admit that looking back, what I was
    doing was a 'little' silly. Still experience is what makes us grow apparently. Certainly wont be
    making the same mistakes again.

    Kent

    > ....and do they make you wear a helmet when you're a passenger in a car, Kent ?... ;-) But, hey,
    > seriously. Congrats on finishing a tri (was it a tri race?) against all odds!! Dave.

  8. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > If I sit in the middle of the back seat I don't have to wear the helmet.

    LOL!

    > No not a Tri race, just XC. I run and swim for fitness and will do a mini Tri this year with the
    > local Tri club - God help me on that one.

    See if the local blood transfusion unit are desperate enough to allow you to donate 'on the run' !
    guarantee it'll make the local (and possibly national) press!!

    > With some of the other comments on this I have to admit that looking back, what I was doing was a
    > 'little' silly. Still experience is what makes us grow apparently.

    upto a point ;-)

    > Certainly wont be making the same mistakes again.
    >
    > Kent
    >
    > > ....and do they make you wear a helmet when you're a passenger in a car, Kent ?... ;-) But, hey,
    > > seriously. Congrats on finishing a tri (was it a tri race?) against all odds!! Dave.

    Bottom posting, top posting,,,...uurrghghhh, getting confused now... I can highly recommend unsalted
    peanuts and mixed dried fruit. Both unbelievably cheap and highly effective. Like you I run, cycle,
    swim (and rock climb and kayak). I find that a handful of each before I set off always provides
    sufficient 'clean' energy to get through effectively. I got from one end of the country to the other
    on me bike using that as my main energy source.

    Cheers,

    Dave.

  9. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > OK so I read a Tri-athlete mag and realise, (with a thud that I always knew), that I am overweight
    > for my height. I would like to loose about 14-21 pounds. So if I weigh less - I go faster
    > uphill!!! Sorted, simple really!
    >
    > So I started the Atkins diet. Carried on training every other day for 2 Hours at a time after a
    > week it went to every 3 days. Lost 14 pounds in 21/2 weeks. Gave a pint of blood on the Tuesday
    > and raced on the Sunday. Started eating carbs 20 hours before the race. Result, 10 out of 14
    > entered, with 2 retired due to mechanical failure. I have never been so knackered. Conclusion - I
    > Overtrained for 2 weeks, I didn't carb load before the race for at least 4 days and as for
    > donating blood before a race - W$*@%K!

    Well, I can't hardly sit at a desk and work after giving blood, let alone give blood, then race
    after dropping several pounds so quickly.

    Best rule of thumb for racing preparation (not that I'm an authority, by any means), but it is to
    not do anything out of the ordinary to yourself or your bike prior to a race.

    Paladin

  10. Scott G

    Scott G Guest

    > > So I started the Atkins diet. Carried on training every other day for 2 Hours at a time after a
    > > week it went to every 3 days. Lost 14 pounds in
    21/2
    > > weeks
    . that's fast weight loss, you are lucky you did not pass out during the race.

    >>Conclusion - I Overtrained for 2 weeks, I didn't carb load before the race
    > > for at least 4 days and as for donating blood before a race - W$*@%K!

    Donate blood before the race? I seem to always donate blood during the race!

    > Well, I can't hardly sit at a desk and work after giving blood, let alone give blood, then race
    > after dropping several pounds so quickly.
    >
    > Best rule of thumb for racing preparation (not that I'm an authority, by any means), but it is to
    > not do anything out of the ordinary to yourself or your bike prior to a race.

    Agree. If you have to lose weight, maybe do it a couple of weeks before the event.

  11. Kent

    Kent Guest

    > "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > If I sit in the middle of the back seat I don't have to wear the helmet.
    >
    > LOL!
    >
    > > No not a Tri race, just XC. I run and swim for fitness and will do a
    mini
    > > Tri this year with the local Tri club - God help me on that one.
    >
    > See if the local blood transfusion unit are desperate enough to allow you
    > donate 'on the run' ! guarantee it'll make the local (and possibly
    national)
    > press!!
    >
    > > With some of the other comments on this I have to admit that looking
    back,
    > > what I was doing was a 'little' silly. Still experience is what makes us grow apparently.
    >
    > upto a point ;-)
    >
    > > Certainly wont be making the same mistakes again.
    > >
    > > Kent
    > >
    > > > ....and do they make you wear a helmet when you're a passenger in a
    car,
    > > > Kent ?... ;-) But, hey, seriously. Congrats on finishing a tri (was it a tri race?) against
    > > > all odds!! Dave.
    > > >

    > Bottom posting, top posting,,,...uurrghghhh, getting confused now... I can highly recommend
    > unsalted peanuts and mixed dried fruit. Both unbelievably cheap and highly effective. Like you I
    > run, cycle, swim (and rock climb and kayak). I find that a handful of each before I set off
    always
    > provides sufficient 'clean' energy to get through effectively. I got from one end of the country
    > to the other on me bike using that as my main
    energy
    > source.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Dave.

    Ok Ok, hey! You are posting in the middle of the mail. Right now I am gonna shout. IF YOU ARE GONNA
    HAVE A TRANSFUSION MAKE SURE THE RED CELLS GO INTO YOU AND NOT OUT. DONT TOP POST. DONT MAKE
    EXCLUSIVE NON HUMAN HABITATS. DOGS SHOULDENT BE ALLOWED INTO FORESTS, WHERE BIKERS AND WALKERS ROAM,
    WITHOUT A CORK UP THEIR ARSE. DOWN HILLERS SHOULD BE MADE TO CYCLE UP HILLS, MAYBE IF THEY GAVE WAY
    TO PEOPLE GOING UP HILLS AND DROPPED THE ATTITUDE IT WOULD HELP. CARS SHOULD ONLY BE ALLOWED ONTO
    ROADS IF THERE IS MORE THAN ONE PERSON IN THEM OR THEY ARE TRANSPORTING GOODS - LIKE BIKES TO HILLY
    AREAS. MY FATHER SHOULD WASH ABOUT 4 TIMES A DAY AND DEODERANT WOULDENT HURT. ARE WE ALL HAPPY!

    the views expressed above may not accurately reflect the authors.

    Kent

  12. Twisties

    Twisties New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2003
    um Kent,...blood dosnt weigh THAT much! lol

    you should have kept SOME of the weight for momentum to go up the hills

    and all that stuff u just posted, jeez, u have some realy good ideas! i like the one about dh riders going uh....pure genious;)

  13. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > If I sit in the middle of the back seat I don't have to wear the
    helmet.

    > > LOL!
    > >
    > > > No not a Tri race, just XC. I run and swim for fitness and will do a
    > mini
    > > > Tri this year with the local Tri club - God help me on that one.
    > >
    > > See if the local blood transfusion unit are desperate enough to allow
    you
    > > donate 'on the run' ! guarantee it'll make the local (and possibly
    > national)
    > > press!!
    > >
    > > > With some of the other comments on this I have to admit that looking
    > back,
    > > > what I was doing was a 'little' silly. Still experience is what makes
    us
    > > > grow apparently.
    > >
    > > upto a point ;-)
    > >
    > > > Certainly wont be making the same mistakes again.
    > > >
    > > > Kent

    > car,
    > > > >

    > > Bottom posting, top posting,,,...uurrghghhh, getting confused now... I can highly recommend
    > > unsalted peanuts and mixed dried fruit. Both unbelievably cheap and highly effective. Like you I
    > > run, cycle, swim
    (and
    > > rock climb and kayak). I find that a handful of each before I set off
    > always
    > > provides sufficient 'clean' energy to get through effectively. I got
    from
    > > one end of the country to the other on me bike using that as my main
    > energy
    > > source.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Dave.
    > >
    > Ok Ok, hey! You are posting in the middle of the mail. Right now I am
    gonna
    > shout. IF YOU ARE GONNA HAVE A TRANSFUSION MAKE SURE THE RED CELLS GO
    INTO
    > YOU AND NOT OUT. DONT TOP POST. DONT MAKE EXCLUSIVE NON HUMAN HABITATS.
    DOGS
    > SHOULDENT BE ALLOWED INTO FORESTS, WHERE BIKERS AND WALKERS ROAM, WITHOUT
    > CORK UP THEIR ARSE. DOWN HILLERS SHOULD BE MADE TO CYCLE UP HILLS, MAYBE
    IF
    > THEY GAVE WAY TO PEOPLE GOING UP HILLS AND DROPPED THE ATTITUDE IT WOULD HELP. CARS SHOULD ONLY BE
    > ALLOWED ONTO ROADS IF THERE IS MORE THAN ONE PERSON IN THEM OR THEY ARE TRANSPORTING GOODS - LIKE
    > BIKES TO HILLY AREAS. MY FATHER SHOULD WASH ABOUT 4 TIMES A DAY AND DEODERANT WOULDENT HURT. ARE
    > WE ALL HAPPY!
    >
    > the views expressed above may not accurately reflect the authors.
    >
    > Kent

    Yup! if somewhat a little deaferer <!> than previously. Good points, well made, I say!